Sarksus wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Tamriel just makes no fucking sense.

It is a really poorly thought out and slap-shod setting, yes.

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

I like "Elsewhere" better than [hackneyed fantasy name #5]

has character

but the map is like, a parody of the fantasy way of making maps.

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

I want to see more, like, historical fantasy and shit.

Like I would not be sad if no one ever made another thing with an elf in it.

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

how the hell would it be fresh and different if someone aped after tolkien

because almost no one actually has in time since his stuff was published

and the huge difference beetween someone making d&d-ish elves and tolkien-ish elves would be?

Elves in D&D always came off as fetishized, powerful and too perfect.

tolkien's elves were kind of like that too

they were wankers

EDIT: LOTR elves far more than the hobbit/silmarillion elves

I already explained why I don't think that's the case. D&D elves are perpetually in their prime and have a lot of influence. Elves in LOTR are leaving the world, their time is over, they hardly even deal with the ring. They're not the same type of race at all.

"at all" is an overstatement. That's not really a huge difference; not when they're so extremely superficially similar.

at this point I don't give a shit how cool the twist on the not-elves is. Make them something completely not elves, for the love of god.

Well besides physical appearance how do you think they are similar? I don't think some similarities are going to ruin Tolkien elves. Humans aren't exactly unique in their every iteration.

they're called elves

is one thing

and they always fall into two generic camps: wood elves, who are like humans but better and more treehuggy, or high elves, who are like humans but better and especially in urban planning.

But I don't think the elves are portrayed as better except that they represent Tolkien's love of nature and its marginalization. Tolkien might favor the elves but within the context of the story the elves are washed up and they know it. They're not better.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    The President isn't just appointed? Or like what if his father was the President?

I don't get these threads.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Still love this video. So weird.

http://youtu.be/ghb6eDopW8I

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    The President isn't just appointed? Or like what if his father was the President?

no, yeah

thats how it works

mostly hereditary with some hiccups while we wait for the next bush to come of age

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    most

well, all

of my fantasy media experience these days is games, neil gaiman (I am saving the last of the last short story collection I bought. Savouring it.) and game of thrones - which isn't really all that interesting as fantasy. But it doesn't have to be because of the reasons a certain mister to the second power said.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

The Dothraki won't follow someone just because his father was Khal

or, wait. what're we talking about again?

Tamin on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

The President rules through God's given right.

We see who has this via a large tournament, where we pit combatants on a small oil platform above a burning slick, with their choice of pre-sixteenth century weapon.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Magic in DCC RPG > ALL OTHER SYSTEMS

this is the problem

magic shouldn't be a system

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I think part of the issue is Fantasy has turned very much into the romance genre of nerds. Formulaic with a few authors who produce the same thing over and over. This isn't bad, it drives sales and makes it easy for people to get into with little background info.

But I think fantasy is much like sci-fi, it is at its best exploring the human experience. Has anyone else read Wraethu by Storm Constantine? Because I think is a unique bit of fantasy that much of [chat] would enjoy. It is just such a wonderful piece of creative writing.

The RPG made from it, however, is completely D:.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    All that said, I do love to nerd the fuck out over magic systems. I created a language-based one (LeGuin inspired, duh) that's entirely based on the complexities in philosophy of language! So, you know.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    EVERYONE IN FRONT OF ME

I SWEAR TO GOD IF MY NEW ARMOR GETS SCRATCHED I AM GOING TO TAKE A SHIT IN ALL THE BUNKS

We just invested in the first alien-tech fighter craft. The war to retake the skies begins here.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    What scifi is really good at doing is beating you up, telling you there is no way around it, and forcing you to look at a particular philosophical problem. Of course, it's all too often a bunch of ridiculous schlock or overwrought about concepts that are not particularly complex. Even still, good scifi is the best.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Ooh, Unity 4 just entered open beta.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

this is the problem

Not really. It's super unreliable and doesn't "just work".

• Options
    it is really hard to come up with

Though I don't really know how much you can expect of a setting derived from some dudes' DnD campaigns that includes a province called "Elsewhere".

has character

I agree, I think in general I am sick of everyone making up their own dumb fantasy world that is the same as everyone else's.

this is so silly

if people actually made Tolkienesqe elves (instead of D&D elves) that would be pretty fresh and different. Or look at Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel or Terry Pratchett evles.

and the huge difference beetween someone making d&d-ish elves and tolkien-ish elves would be?

they were wankers

I already explained why I don't think that's the case. D&D elves are perpetually in their prime and have a lot of influence. Elves in LOTR are leaving the world, their time is over, they hardly even deal with the ring. They're not the same type of race at all.

"at all" is an overstatement. That's not really a huge difference; not when they're so extremely superficially similar.

at this point I don't give a shit how cool the twist on the not-elves is. Make them something completely not elves, for the love of god.

Well besides physical appearance how do you think they are similar? I don't think some similarities are going to ruin Tolkien elves. Humans aren't exactly unique in their every iteration.

they're called elves

is one thing

and they always fall into two generic camps: wood elves, who are like humans but better and more treehuggy, or high elves, who are like humans but better and especially in urban planning.

But I don't think the elves are portrayed as better except that they represent Tolkien's love of nature and its marginalization. Tolkien might favor the elves but within the context of the story the elves are washed up and they know it. They're not better.

man they are better

legolas can walk on top of newly fallen snow where everyone else has to wade with it up to their chests, he can see like a thousand times better than everyone else, everything they make is prettier and magical and shit.

which is cool for tolkien, because all that kind of has a larger point in context - the elves represent everything that's going away.

but repeated ad nauseam in shitty fantasy settings it is not as good

which is why fuck elves

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    THE PRESIDENT IS A HOMUNCULUS

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Psionic lab is now on the table people

I need a pile of alien corpses for the grey market to fund it

You know what to do

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc why are you in chat go buy H for Hero

• Options

this is the problem

Not really. It's super unreliable and doesn't "just work".

I have my doubts. You'll have to elaborate.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Still love this video. So weird.

http://youtu.be/ghb6eDopW8I

That video is pretty amazing, wow.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

You know what to do

NOBODY TOUCH MY TROPHIES

we're going to go out and get new ones and that's final.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    for that matter don't touch anything in my room

I am pretty sure I walked in there with more proximity charges than I took out again

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

You know what to do

Practice for my psychic testing!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    100MEDIA%24IMAG0060.jpg

Goodness me!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Chanus, don't you knock?!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    They didn't even put a lei on the doorknob!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    it is really hard to come up with

has character

this is so silly

they were wankers

they're called elves

is one thing

man they are better

legolas can walk on top of newly fallen snow where everyone else has to wade with it up to their chests, he can see like a thousand times better than everyone else, everything they make is prettier and magical and shit.

which is cool for tolkien, because all that kind of has a larger point in context - the elves represent everything that's going away.

but repeated ad nauseam in shitty fantasy settings it is not as good

which is why fuck elves

Well the original point was to use elves the same way Tolkien did. It'll get boring after awhile but it will start out as fresh because elves are not popularly portrayed as Tolkien portrayed them.

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Noooo I wanted to capture the alien base leader

I accidentally killed him but when you've got two guys left at the end of the map you kind of go with whatever you get >.>

I didn't think you were going to kill him with one shot!

He had a lot of hitpoints! I thought you'd just, you know, rough him up a little and then I could have you taze him!

I bet it would have done something cool if I could have captured him.
    not especially. I mean, other than getting to interrogate and then autopsy him

I did laugh far too hard when, after the interrogation was complete, the option to autopsy him popped up.

"well, I guess we're done talking now."

• Options
    Lumineers' cello player is still the cutest girl. It was so much fun seeing them live this year.

http://youtu.be/qI7G2j5rbiA

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You guys talking about fantasy should check out Glenn Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night books. The setting is basically crusades-era Europe except sometimes the Pope is a wizard.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    desc did we talk about how I hung out with ritchie hawtin and gave him gear advice?

because I totally did

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Fuck am i tired and it's barely 9 PM...

I have sleep problems. The biggest of which is that i sleep too damn much because i sleep too damn well.

• Options
    Bluefoot wrote: »
    Bluefoot wrote: »
    You guys a bout fantasy should check out Glenn Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night books. The setting is basically crusades-era Europe except sometimes the Pope is a wizard.

POPES?

POPES?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

• Options
    I am still sad no one has read Wraethu. Such a good book.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.