As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Part of the reason I want to play this is to see different implementations of D&D rules (just finished up Path of Radiance). And third edition OGL stuff is still free for people to use and adapt to games of their own...

I'm not a master programmer or anything though. Just a dream.

EDIT: Speaking of things that suck in second edition:

- The 18/xx system for strength only.
    - Different XP amounts for different class levels...although that does remove some of my RPG compulsion to keep everyone at the same XP amount all the time.
    - Dual classing being different from multi classing, and all of it tied in to race for some reason.

THAC0 sucks but when the computer handles it all for you it's a fun historical system to see in use.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    so, in bgt/tutu is summoning a familiar with your fighter/mage suppose to give you double hit points? im still level 1 and ive just gone from 10hp to 22hp after casting the find familiar spell i found near the FAI.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Part of the reason I want to play this is to see different implementations of D&D rules (just finished up Path of Radiance). And third edition OGL stuff is still free for people to use and adapt to games of their own...

- Different XP amounts for different class levels...although that does remove some of my RPG compulsion to keep everyone at the same XP amount all the time.
    - Dual classing being different from multi classing, and all of it tied in to race for some reason.

THAC0 sucks but when the computer handles it all for you it's a fun historical system to see in use.

I would add to that the way stats work. Most don't give any bonuses below 15, meaning a character with 14 in constitution, charisma and dexterity is basically the same as one with 10 in them. Add to that the fact that wis and int are essentially useless to non-casters and you are basically demanding that players min-max. 3rd edition did a lot to improve things, and 4e took another great leap.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The 18/xx system is just ridiculous full stop, whether it's just for STR or all the stats.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    ahh ahahah. this no-reload run is going to be interesting... i had a party of khalid/jaheria/xzar/monty and i went into fledposts inn for some easy xp.
    monty, the mad bastard, shouts "bollocks" to my pleads of backing down and kills those two farmers who you can talk down for a crap of load of xp. goddamnit.

i think its a bg1npc feature but still surprising and new to me at least, i've usually kicked them out before this point.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    so, in bgt/tutu is summoning a familiar with your fighter/mage suppose to give you double hit points? im still level 1 and ive just gone from 10hp to 22hp after casting the find familiar spell i found near the FAI.

Familiars grant 50% of their HP to their summoner. Level 1 familiars have 24 HP, so your character gets 12 of that. In Throne of Bhaal the familiars get boosted to 48 HP, so your summoner gets 24. Don't use 'em in combat though. Have them in your pack.

And yes, they're extremely overpowered in BG1.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    picked up two mod npcs... gavin, his new portrait i used from classy eportraits pack which fits him right into the cast is pretty nice, his soundset however is fucking atrocious and i feel like leaving him behind every time he speaks, it just pulls me right out of the game.

finch on the other hand has some the best recorded voice work i've heard from a mod yet, she seems like a jokey character though but she has a 110% more chance of remaining with the group than gavin currently does.

• Options
    Finch is really awesome. Also, as low-quality as Gavin's voice work is, it's still far better than the vast majority of mod NPC voice acting.

Indira is also not too bad either.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I would add to that the way stats work. Most don't give any bonuses below 15, meaning a character with 14 in constitution, charisma and dexterity is basically the same as one with 10 in them. Add to that the fact that wis and int are essentially useless to non-casters and you are basically demanding that players min-max. 3rd edition did a lot to improve things, and 4e took another great leap.

4e only took a great leap if you want to play an MMO on your tabletop. Simpler != more fun to me.

• Options
    so many npcs to pick up by the time you reach beregost... kinda regretting using the relocate npcs compotant from bgttweaks/scs1 cant seem to have an npc for longer than 5 seconds before i run into a new one, and due to some kind of ocd i gotta pick up em up and send to wait at inns.

thinking of setting some roleplay rules, already have no reloads unless its game over (so far no party wipe yet) like the guy whos doing the lets play at something awful, when a npc dies, if i can afford it, they get res'd and have to rest up at the inn for a few days, maybe take a vote to swap in and out party members. gonna try and maximize the content. thank fuck i installed the xp on rejoining thing from levelone mod.

• Options
    amoomooamoomoo Registered User regular
    Just finished the whole game and damn that was one crazy ride. I can't believe I have never played this before. Regarding the end game
    Sarevok was one crazy awesome fight. Took me like 4 or 5 retries but damn it was satisfying. The 4 bounty hunters outside the temple was not so fun though. I tried a couple of times got frustrated used the aoe invisibility spell and just ran past them :D. Anyway are all those statues under the temple shown in the ending cinematic bhaalspawn?

• Options
    amoomoo wrote: »
    Just finished the whole game and damn that was one crazy ride. I can't believe I have never played this before. Regarding the end game
    Sarevok was one crazy awesome fight. Took me like 4 or 5 retries but damn it was satisfying. The 4 bounty hunters outside the temple was not so fun though. I tried a couple of times got frustrated used the aoe invisibility spell and just ran past them :D. Anyway are all those statues under the temple shown in the ending cinematic bhaalspawn?

Regarding the spoiler: yes.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Well.......damn! I guess I should try and get the second one then.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    yes. yes you should, plus expansion. you can import your same character.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Aha so that's why the game automatically made a save for me at the end.

• Options
    yes! when you install the next game move your final save from bg1 folder to bg2 folder and import during character creation, you'll carry straight on where you left off in terms of stats for that character, plus some select items carry over...

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Man, I was all set to buy these games and get going, but now I feel obligated to wait and see if they go on sale on gog in the next few days. They totally probably will be.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Man, I was all set to buy these games and get going, but now I feel obligated to wait and see if they go on sale on gog in the next few days. They totally probably will be.

Despite owning the GamersGate package, I'm still hoping for a 75% off bundle. They've had the bundle before, but it was always 50%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Ooh man, if you loved BG1 than BG2 is going to put you over the moon. It's better in pretty much every way, and Jon Irenicus is one of the all-time great video game baddies

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    As a BG n00b that has decided to go Kensai/Thief in Tutu, which skills should I take? I'm assuming at least one sword proficiency (long swords?), and either two weapon or two-handed proficiency?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Jon has the best voice acting for any villian anywhere in gaming.

And there's a lot of good competition.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bullio wrote: »
    As a BG n00b that has decided to go Kensai/Thief in Tutu, which skills should I take? I'm assuming at least one sword proficiency (long swords?), and either two weapon or two-handed proficiency?

If you aren't using Rogue Rebalancing or Item Revisions, you have a ton of options. But I'll just quote the Play It Hardcore wiki, since it echos my opinion:
    Proficiencies-
    You can backstab with any melee weapon a solo class thief can use. Because backstabbing is a percentage of your weapon's damage roll, you should take Longswords over Short Swords and definitely invest in Katanas come BG2. The difference between rolling an 8 vs. a 6 when you've got a backstab multiplier of x5 is an extra 10 damage, plus just about the best possible melee weapon in BG1 is obtainable as soon as you reach Nashkel Mines. Only your main hand's damage can be applied toward backstabs so single weapon proficiency is better than dual-wielding or equipping a buckler for sword and shield. (Special note: A kensai planning on dual-classing to thief should level up daggers as throwing daggers are their only long-ranged attack until unlocking Use All Items.)

Go with two-weapon fighting. Two-handed is only for 2h swords, spears, and staves.

If you are using either RR or IR, then short swords all the way.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You don't have that many profs, definitely do not waste them on using throwing daggers, you have other people for ranged attacks.

With BG2 in mind you'd probably want something like grandmastery in katanas and full 2 weapon proficiency, which you have just enough points to get. But for getting through BG1 you're going to want longswords.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Daggers in general aren't bad, either. They're vastly underrated, and many of them have some surprisingly potent "save or get fucked" procs on them.

But yeah, longswords/katanas and two-weapon fighting.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    You could also go with Scimitars. You can kill Drizzt and take his which are some of the best weapons in BG1, and in BG2 you can offhand Belm which gives you an extra attack (extra attacks are always made with your mainhand).

But thieves can level up Scimitars and you wouldn't go above 2 points anyway so you might as well wait until you dual over in BG2 and then take scimitar prof with your thief levels.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Can't backstab with scimitars.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Really? I thought all the 1H bladed weapons were solo thief profs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't believe so. I remember making a Stalker ages back who was dual-scimitar and couldn't backstab with them. This was before I started playing with mods like IR, so I'm fairly sure about it.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Ooh man, if you loved BG1 than BG2 is going to put you over the moon. It's better in pretty much every way, and Jon Irenicus is one of the all-time great video game baddies

Videogames, hell - he's one of my all-time favorite villains period.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    You could also go with Scimitars. You can kill Drizzt and take his which are some of the best weapons in BG1

Wait, Drizzt is in these games? Holy crap.

Is there anything really important I should know before playing? Like I said earlier I've been reading about character creation and pitfalls like leveling before you find other party members. Any other garbage like "if you open any chests in this cave you lose the chance to get this awesome thing later" or "if you justifiably kill this guy who attacks you, you'll never be able to complete this quest for the best shield in the game later?"

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    cmdchickencmdchicken Registered User regular
    Its been a while since I played but I don't recall any great amounts of garbage, the game is super well made and I think you should just jump in. You are not going to regret it :)

My backlog is cursing you all for tempting me to do another BGT playthrough!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    You could also go with Scimitars. You can kill Drizzt and take his which are some of the best weapons in BG1

Wait, Drizzt is in these games? Holy crap.

Is there anything really important I should know before playing? Like I said earlier I've been reading about character creation and pitfalls like leveling before you find other party members. Any other garbage like "if you open any chests in this cave you lose the chance to get this awesome thing later" or "if you justifiably kill this guy who attacks you, you'll never be able to complete this quest for the best shield in the game later?"

The only thing like that that vaguely comes to mind is in BG2, there's one character who gets killed and you can bring them back to life through a quest but it involves a small degree of thinking.

Otherwise no, it's pretty obvious, none of those silly "solve this quest using gamefaqs" kinda things. Even most of the pitfalls that we talk about here are mostly just for minmaxing your dude into a living god, you can totally do just fine without worrying about it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    cmdchickencmdchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So you know, like a friend of mine was asking and uhhhmm this guy he like wants to know if you're going to level a wizard slayer/thief when should you dual class?

Because I've this guys' never dual classed and is curious.

Ohgodohgod

cmdchicken on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cmdchicken wrote: »
    Its been a while since I played but I don't recall any great amounts of garbage, the game is super well made and I think you should just jump in. You are not going to regret it :)

Cool. :)

• Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular

I'm a bit biased - But I feel like 2nd edition had a lot going for it. While I like the system in 3rd more (you felt more like a hero, for one.) I've always felt like 2nd was more difficult, not because the system was complicated, but it was (I hate to use this word.) more realistic in how it depicted heroes. I've never played a campaign past level 10, though. So things never really got crazy.

• Options
    In BG1, you can also get Drizzt's swords by pickpocketing when you meet him. IIRC, his Twinkle sword is one of the best 1H swords in the game: +2 Longsword, with -2 AC bonus. The other one is just a +2 longsword, doesn't give you fire resistance like in the books.

• Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

If you aren't using Rogue Rebalancing or Item Revisions, you have a ton of options. But I'll just quote the Play It Hardcore wiki, since it echos my opinion:
    Proficiencies-
    You can backstab with any melee weapon a solo class thief can use. Because backstabbing is a percentage of your weapon's damage roll, you should take Longswords over Short Swords and definitely invest in Katanas come BG2. The difference between rolling an 8 vs. a 6 when you've got a backstab multiplier of x5 is an extra 10 damage, plus just about the best possible melee weapon in BG1 is obtainable as soon as you reach Nashkel Mines. Only your main hand's damage can be applied toward backstabs so single weapon proficiency is better than dual-wielding or equipping a buckler for sword and shield. (Special note: A kensai planning on dual-classing to thief should level up daggers as throwing daggers are their only long-ranged attack until unlocking Use All Items.)

Go with two-weapon fighting. Two-handed is only for 2h swords, spears, and staves.

If you are using either RR or IR, then short swords all the way.

Not using either of those mods, no.

Think I'll go Katanas and dual wield. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I seem to remember it being a +3 scimitar. Then again that may have been a mistake I made every time I played BG1 and specced someone into the wrong proficiencies.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    quarthinos wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »

4e only took a great leap if you want to play an MMO on your tabletop. Simpler != more fun to me.

I wish it was possible to mention 4E in a conversation without people immediately trying to rekindle the by now ancient 3E/4E war. I was only talking about how the games handle stats, not about their overall style or quality.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    I seem to remember it being a +3 scimitar. Then again that may have been a mistake I made every time I played BG1 and specced someone into the wrong proficiencies.

In the original BG, there was no scimitar class. They were just all long swords.

This discussion has been closed.