As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

196979899100102»

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Edit: omg that's PC only I'm now dead inside.

I mean probably figuring the Playstationers won't have Starfield to bother then anyway, right? And as of now this game still isn't launching on xbox.

I mean thats not a reason to hold it back.

Its just because that version is taking them longer. I just saw it's because they want it to be able to hit 60fps on console and they aren't there yet which makes me sad. Just gimme the 30FPS version and add in performance mode later haha.

Hoping that doesn't mean they are just putting out the 60fps mode and just that they are working hard on a performance mode.

Complete disagree. If they can do 60 FPS I want them to do so, instead of half-arsing the game like Redfall or similar. I didn't buy an expensive next gen console for poor performance.

Why would a second mode you don't use matter to you?

Any game can hit 60FPS if you lower the settings enough.

That's what getting it running at 60FPS means. Trying to find the perfect balance of what to turn down without losing too much until you can hit that 60FPS.

I'd rather my next gen console not need to drop as much visual fidelity for extra frames especially in a turn-based game. I bought this thing for as much visual fidelity as possible.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3657534571513526776

We got necro monks, we got necromancy wizards, we got half orcs, WE GOT DRAGONBORN.

Lets goooooooo.

Dear lord That update is basically promising us every cool feature they can think of isn't it?

More companions more spells more classes throw in some dragon born that's all cool

That's what happened with BG2:Throne of Bhaal. They just crammed it with community cameos and class features they said previously were impossible, like wild mages.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ohh larian said the main game takes 75-100 hours to finish.

Can be roughly double that if you are trying to do all side content along the way.

That's like exactly perfect for something like this. Gonna be pretty set on games to play right on into 2024.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Krathoon wrote: »
    People crack me up complaining like this is not D&D. It is D&D.
    Hell, its more DnD than Bioware Baldur's Gate was. Its actually turn based.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Wait so the non-custom characters origins are just "play as one of the default NPCs?"

For some reason I didn't know that and thought it would have a custom character with custom background origins.
    You can play one of the Origin characters (Karlach, Lae’zel, Astarion, Wyll, Shadowheart, Gale, and one other), or create your own custom character.
    Yeah but just like in Divinity, the custom character gets no story separate from main story while if you do an origin character you do.
    True, but don't let that hold you back from creating a custom character. Having a fixed backstory means having a slightly deeper in-game starting point, but the majority of the game is forward - it's where you go from the start.

It's not something Custom characters are missing so much as a little extra bonus for the Origin characters. Like I've played the heck out of the Early Access, and the Custom characters don't feel shallower or whatever. If anything, I've had the Origin characters for so long that not having one of them as a companion would be weird.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Every last one of you is rolling a blue-eye'd white dragonborne for the luls
    don't even try to lie about it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Nah, I'm probably going Half-Orc. Maybe Tiefling.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Too old to have any emotional connection to Yu-Gi-oh. If I'm gonna go for something based on some other property, it's going to be a blue Tiefling Shadow Monk.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Think I'd like a character randomizer.
    Just gimme a button that gives me a species, class and subclass. Maybe origin.
    And appearance. I always spend way too long on how they look.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Wait so the non-custom characters origins are just "play as one of the default NPCs?"

For some reason I didn't know that and thought it would have a custom character with custom background origins.
    You can play one of the Origin characters (Karlach, Lae’zel, Astarion, Wyll, Shadowheart, Gale, and one other), or create your own custom character.
    Yeah but just like in Divinity, the custom character gets no story separate from main story while if you do an origin character you do.
    True, but don't let that hold you back from creating a custom character. Having a fixed backstory means having a slightly deeper in-game starting point, but the majority of the game is forward - it's where you go from the start.

It's not something Custom characters are missing so much as a little extra bonus for the Origin characters. Like I've played the heck out of the Early Access, and the Custom characters don't feel shallower or whatever. If anything, I've had the Origin characters for so long that not having one of them as a companion would be weird.

In Divinity, the pregen characters get unique story content throughout the whole game. Is that not the case here, you're saying?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    One thing in thinking of is rolling a Zariel Tiefling, given the timeline and direct links to the DiA published module.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    There needs to be a bit in the game where Minsc complains about how combat (5e) was different back in his day (AD&D) and does the old man yelling at clouds thing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

In Divinity, the pregen characters get unique story content throughout the whole game. Is that not the case here, you're saying?
    We can't (officially) play Origin characters, so I guess there's no way to tell right now? When in your party, the Origin characters get neat side quests and stuff. Maybe they'll have the same thing if they're your PC?

There's already a thing in game where the character's backgrounds come into play. Even custom characters get special bonus things when background-appropriate actions are taken. Like there are old, fancy coins hidden throughout Act 1, and finding them lets you re-roll a skill check if you've got the ... uh, greedy? mercantile? ... background.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

We can't (officially) play Origin characters, so I guess there's no way to tell right now? When in your party, the Origin characters get neat side quests and stuff. Maybe they'll have the same thing if they're your PC?

There's already a thing in game where the character's backgrounds come into play. Even custom characters get special bonus things when background-appropriate actions are taken. Like there are old, fancy coins hidden throughout Act 1, and finding them lets you re-roll a skill check if you've got the ... uh, greedy? mercantile? ... background.

They are full-fledged companions in Divinity with their own quests, but there's even more stuff if you play as one of them.

The "stuff" is more on the added dialogue and quest side, its not mere things like skill bonii.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    So I'm not into early access, and deeefinitely not early access for story based games. As such, I've been avoiding basically all news of this.

Welp, it's about time. Baldur's Gate 2 is a top 5 game for me pretty easily, and hey Larian is probably the best bet at giving 3 a crack (maybe Obsidian, but it seems a solid option either way).

I get that it's going to be different than BG2 -- turn based and all of that, and hey the game is over 20 years old.

How similar does it feel to Divinity OS2? I own Divinity OS 2, but have never really played it. Can I use it as a good judge of roughly how I will feel about BG3 from a systems perspective? Obviously the world is different and the setting and all of that, and it seems like BG3 is kind of going all out on the quality and budget, but does it serve as a good free systems/rough setting of my expectations demo for what I can expect from BG3 since I already own Divinity?

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If possible, I'll definitely play one of the companions as my main character. Wyll is my favorite class and has a fleshed out patron story.

• Options

They are full-fledged companions in Divinity with their own quests, but there's even more stuff if you play as one of them.

The "stuff" is more on the added dialogue and quest side, its not mere things like skill bonii.
    i know, i just hate it. i feel like it's not a real RPG if i'm not playing my own character. that's purely a "me" thing though.

it's also stopped me from enjoying dd2.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Yeah, I could never play an origin character. I hate premade backstories, appearances, identities, etc.

Half of the fun of western RPGs is creating your own.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Yeah, I could never play an origin character. I hate premade backstories, appearances, identities, etc.

I honestly kind of liked it in DOS2 TBH. Though I liked playing the Nameless one in planescape, too.

I know a lot of people don’t like that kind of thing though. To each their own.

• Options

Yea ill gladly have them in my party to see their story. But I definitely want to be "me" along with them.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Still playing BG1EE.

I gotta say, its going to be really weird and awkward when Minsc joins my party in III when my only real memories of him are killing him because he got impatient with my travelling speed and went batshit on me.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Still playing BG1EE.

I gotta say, its going to be really weird and awkward when Minsc joins my party in III when my only real memories of him are killing him because he got impatient with my travelling speed and went batshit on me.

He's real focused on Dynaheir in BG1

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Happy to see Spore Druids in the release list. One of my favorite subclasses.
    Just looked up spore druid and it is so much cooler than I was imagining.

Making a necromancy flavored druid that uses spores to reanimate dead animals and beasts is fantastic and an inspired idea.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    during Act I, I have a question about the goblin priestess early in the game...
    are the only options to either fight her in her room, or take the potion then wake up in the prison and fight her? I can't seem to figure out any non-combat solutions besides ignoring her quest completely since I always get stomped by either goblins or the ogre in the prison

• Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    Happy to see Spore Druids in the release list. One of my favorite subclasses.
    Just looked up spore druid and it is so much cooler than I was imagining.

Making a necromancy flavored druid that uses spores to reanimate dead animals and beasts is fantastic and an inspired idea.

"Look at me. I'm the cordyceps now."

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Is multiclassing fairly smooth in 5e like Pathfinder 2E where you feel like you're not making a huge gamble or having to risk crippling one of your classes or does it feel like you're gimping yourself if not careful?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is multiclassing fairly smooth in 5e like Pathfinder 2E where you feel like you're not making a huge gamble or having to risk crippling one of your classes or does it feel like you're gimping yourself if not careful?

There is prerequisites for 5e multiclass that mean you can't do it unless your stats are already there for it so it's hard to gimp yourself too hard.

That says, i don't think BG3 supports it (yet).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Still possible to mess things up but optimal MCs don’t end up being complicated in the end. The system has feats/ASI and extra attacks tied to class levels so ideal MCs tend to be 2/18, 4/16, or 6/14 and very much defined by “what feature do I want and what do I give up to get it”

It’s also hard to mess up a straight class in 5e though.

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.