As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2]: Lasers for the laser god.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    All those walkmans and tvs and computers and phones were figments of your imagination

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I nearly pointed to the TV section until I remembered Walmart carries crap brands pretty much exclusively

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    visited 3 wal marts. One had no game cards, one had game cards for other games (league of legends, facebook games) and one had cards for SOE.

They are all within about 5 minutes drive of each other so the disparity was a little strange.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I nearly pointed to the TV section until I remembered Walmart carries crap brands pretty much exclusively

Point to the Blu-Ray players. Also my Wally*World is out of the $15 cards. I even biked through the snow to get there! Uphill!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So...uh...I may have just dropped a shitpile of cash on SC cards.
    *cough*
    IMG_0025.jpg

The good news is that some of those are for you guys!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFZJY0NxMlJhTTd2RGdvaVFCdUdZM3c6MQ&ifq

How many did I get? Who's gonna get them? Find out in three days on the 21st when I unleash a random number generator onto the contestant list! Winners will have the code PM'd to them!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    What is it about the Crown, anyway? Why is it always red in a sea of purple or blue?

Its highly defensible and at the center of the map. Therefore it will always have high traffic, making it a pretty damn good cert farming spot.

Its also strategically null and a curse to whoever owns it. It gives like what, 2 resource? And more often than not, the faction that owns it ends up having the majority of their fighting force camping it. So they end up losing pretty much all their territory with even map population.

Also, never underestimate the allure of a "strategy-free" battle. Plenty of people just want to completely tune-out and just shoot mans, and nowhere else on Auraxis (save for maybe Bio Labs) can you do that better than on the Crown. There are no tactics, no grand plans a majority of the time. Just a big blob of people shooting at each other endlessly.

I know how to take the crown effortlessly....
    Incoming Orbital Strike...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Kruis08Kruis08 Registered User regular
    Oh fuck, going to drop some cash on this.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I have had more fun leading in this game than anything I have done in a video game context. Unfortunately although I can do tactical I have a long way to go with strategic... so there is a great deal of room for improvement.

Regarding pubbies: I tend to be on when we have little population so I will start a squad, let people join and work with those not in our outfit. If you tell them often enough in the right way you can do beautiful things.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I have had more fun leading in this game than anything I have done in a video game context. Unfortunately although I can do tactical I have a long way to go with strategic... so there is a great deal of room for improvement.

Regarding pubbies: I tend to be on when we have little population so I will start a squad, let people join and work with those not in our outfit. If you tell them often enough in the right way you can do beautiful things.

Leading can be a lot of fun, I kinda burned out on it in Planetside though.

Still like small squad stuff with friends but leading multiple platoons? Eh, my desire to try and head up anything resembling large scale stuff died fairly quickly, even if it was all Outfit peoples.

Running the armored cav platoon for a 6 Outfit Platoon cont lock spree in the original Planetside was a blast in hindsight but kind of stressfully unfun in the middle of doing so. You spend more time looking at the map and talking to the leader running the entire show then you do shooting mans.

Still 180 people all executing the strategy in an organized fashion? Probably one of the coolest experiences I've had in gaming.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

I've found squad leadership to be pretty fun times - especially when you're leading an offshoot attack on some secondary base while the main platoon wrecks face concurrently. I got pretty good at landing my dear old scythe in the heat of things in order to drop a beacon. Lots of fun! Not so keen on platoon leadership though - takes a more focused mind I 'spose.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I tend to try and rally pubbies with proximity voice even when I'm in a PA squad. Just shit like, "We need men on point charlie!" or, "enemy tanks coming from the west!" or, "We need to repair the generator in the southeast, follow me!"

They don't always follow but they do often enough that I've found myself doing it a LOT. It's nice to have strangers backing you up when you see something that needs to be done.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    A lot of people don't have prox voice on

I know I don't

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    It's on by default I believe and I figure most pubbies are too lazy/stupid to turn it off. Plenty of people respond to me when I talk at any rate (either verbally, in text chat, or just by doing whatever I say.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I left it on because generally it's been hilarious and friendly rather than XBox live offensive.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    I left it on because generally it's been hilarious and friendly rather than XBox live offensive.

Pretty much. It's usually guys just singing/piping music/screaming BEEP BEEP I'M A JEEP while driving around/etc..

Oh wait, that third one was me.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »

Pretty much. It's usually guys just singing/piping music/screaming BEEP BEEP I'M A JEEP while driving around/etc..

Oh wait, that third one was me.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    at least 75% of my interaction with proximity voice has just been some dude piping music or some other recorded sound. Most of the rest is just people saying stupid shit. The range is too short for it to really be useful tactically, especially since lots of people just disable it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm a dedicated squad leader in my outfit and it's pretty awesome.
    I love doing it during our outfit platoon times, but not as much when we do public ops.
    It just kinda sucks to set a waypoint and only have half the squad actually move there.

Talking about my outfit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QeL2dVcfMUE

Yeah,we have a guy who makes these kind of vids...

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    steelsidesteelside Registered User new member
    Can just say I'm happy being on SOE servers even though I'm an EU player.
    Although I'm a bit jealous that you get the +500SC bonus from walmart which I can't get :/
    so I spent like five minutes trying to figure out how to keybind the horn on my sunderer, before realizing the horn costs six dollars

which is just like, :rotate: I can't even be annoyed about it, it's too ridiculous

This made me laugh so hard, enough for it to warrant registering an account here. Thanks!

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I've already seen a few sunderers with the horn so it's definitely selling... They spam that shit too. Just constant HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    steelside wrote: »
    Can just say I'm happy being on SOE servers even though I'm an EU player.
    Although I'm a bit jealous that you get the +500SC bonus from walmart which I can't get :/

Yeah, but that bonus requires going to *Wal-mart*, so I don't think it's worth it.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Gentlemen, I have seen the face of the devil. When I was sorting through my local WalMarts piles of points cards looking for SC ones, I saw a $50 Zynga games card. :horror:

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    What is it about the Crown, anyway? Why is it always red in a sea of purple or blue?

Its highly defensible and at the center of the map. Therefore it will always have high traffic, making it a pretty damn good cert farming spot.

Its also strategically null and a curse to whoever owns it. It gives like what, 2 resource? And more often than not, the faction that owns it ends up having the majority of their fighting force camping it. So they end up losing pretty much all their territory with even map population.

Also, never underestimate the allure of a "strategy-free" battle. Plenty of people just want to completely tune-out and just shoot mans, and nowhere else on Auraxis (save for maybe Bio Labs) can you do that better than on the Crown. There are no tactics, no grand plans a majority of the time. Just a big blob of people shooting at each other endlessly.

I know how to take the crown effortlessly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3ZkJTX1qY

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The servers will come down at 6:00 AM PT for a brief maintenance. Downtime is anticipated to be less than one hour. Players may notice the following changes:

The Annihilator Rocket Launcher is now available to all empires. This weapon has the ability to lock on to both aircraft and vehicles. It cannot fire without a lock on.
    Reaver Decoy Flares should now correctly reflect their intended price.
    Horns should now equip correctly (We really mean it!)
    Decals are now available to show your allegiance in the Ultimate Empire Showdown! Don't be left out.

Strange about the Annihilator Rocket Launcher. I wonder how they are balancing that given the changes they made to the empire-specific lock-on rocket launchers. Lower damage/range I guess? I'm not actually seeing it as available in-game.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    The servers will come down at 6:00 AM PT for a brief maintenance. Downtime is anticipated to be less than one hour. Players may notice the following changes:

The Annihilator Rocket Launcher is now available to all empires. This weapon has the ability to lock on to both aircraft and vehicles. It cannot fire without a lock on.
    Reaver Decoy Flares should now correctly reflect their intended price.
    Horns should now equip correctly (We really mean it!)
    Decals are now available to show your allegiance in the Ultimate Empire Showdown! Don't be left out.

Strange about the Annihilator Rocket Launcher. I wonder how they are balancing that given the changes they made to the empire-specific lock-on rocket launchers. Lower damage/range I guess? I'm not actually seeing it as available in-game.

I hope at least it has longer lock-on times than the specialized launchers to make up for its versatility.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    HAHAHAHA, OH WOW.

So they finally fixed the cert cost on the flares for Reavers so they're inline with the other factions. Except they didn't refund the certs for people who purchased at those inflated prices prior to the fix. I doubt many NC pilots picked up the Flares 3 upgrade (1000 pre-fix, ouch), but for the many who picked up Flares 2, they're still out 300 certs. What a cock-up.

Hopefully SOE refunds those certs, because that is extremely punitive for something that THEY did wrong. I'd encourage any of our NC brethren who splurged for flares at those prices to bug the crap out of SOE to get a refund, because that is just stupid and unfair.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2_Wpq8new
    So apparently according to TB the decals for each faction leader will be advailable to buy.

I really want to play NC now, just so I can have the Seananner's rebel cat icon, seriously.

• Options
    Hey so apparently that patch cut the range for for MAX's Burster arms.

:( ?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Arthil wrote: »

If that's the case, then Skyguards really need a buff.

TBH, it's probably for the best this way, as having an AA enemy that can shoot well beyond their render distance was a little broken.

CarbonFire on
  • Options

TBH, it's probably for the best this way, as having an AA enemy that can shoot well beyond their render distance was a little broken.

And now how are we supposed to take care of the Libs floating 900m up in the air killing our tanks?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

And now how are we supposed to take care of the Libs floating 900m up in the air killing our tanks?

Leave?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

Leave?

GOTY

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    take air to air ESF's and kill them.

Honestly ground to air should be a zoning tool, when your as mobile as a plane dying to something on the ground should be a matter of straying too close to the kill zone, having ground to air limited in range achieves this I suppose.

Also, I want skyguards to be viable, because I think they look fucking awesome.

• Options

Honestly ground to air should be a zoning tool, when your as mobile as a plane dying to something on the ground should be a matter of straying too close to the kill zone, having ground to air limited in range achieves this I suppose.

Direct hits with tank cannons should one shot any ESF or Liberator. From first hand experience, it takes more than one currently. That would make low level flying/hovering the red zone in that air defense scheme.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Grab an ESF I suppose.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Direct hits with tank cannons should one shot any ESF or Liberator. From first hand experience, it takes more than one currently. That would make low level flying/hovering the red zone in that air defense scheme.

1 shot from a vanguard cannon will murder an ESF. Not a lib though.

NERF VANGUARD. VANGUARD OP.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

1 shot from a vanguard cannon will murder an ESF. Not a lib though.

NERF VANGUARD. VANGUARD OP.

Welp, I guess that is the price to be paid for the magburner and strafing. I retract my suggestion.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    If the counter to air is other air, air is overpowered.

Unless they are going to hand out experience for area denial, ground based AA needs to be able to kill aircraft, not just 'drive them off'.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options

Again, I'm suggesting that Skyguards get a buff to better handle the AA duties. Because really, Skyguards SHOULD be the primary AA (outside of fixed emplacements). I'd say give Skyguards another damage buff, but slow their tracking so they're much better at taking down Libs, but can't insta-gib ESFs unless those flying pests stick around. Or, make it so Lib gunners who are under flak fire can't aim for shit (either through screen shake or actual reticule shake), so they have to vacate the area if they want to be effective again. Would be the same for ESFs, they'd get jostled around so bad, they'd have little hope of actually aiming their rocket pods effectively while under fire.

Skyguards should be the ground deterrent to Libs, while AA MAXes should be focused mainly on ESFs (or Libs if they get close enough).

This discussion has been closed.