Options

The stupidest ballsack games thread

• Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The original Hexen and its expansion pack were excellent games, especially if you played 2-player cooperative and tried not to die. Really well-designed, great use of the cross-level item-collection puzzles, excellent class-based item usage and weapons...just the whole thing was done extremely well. I think it was one of Raven's best games.

Defender on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Steam is pretty much the best

earthbound

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hexen runs a bit choppily for me, which is strange, as everything else runs fine.

Also, I wish I knew how to change the damn control schemes. I'm used to playing Doom with the arrow keys, not using the W/S keys to go forward/back and then left/right arrows to turn. It's weird.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Steam is going to bankrupt me. Just today I bought the full set of iD games and the latter half of Sam and Max: Season One.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hexen runs a bit choppily for me, which is strange, as everything else runs fine.

Also, I wish I knew how to change the damn control schemes. I'm used to playing Doom with the arrow keys, not using the W/S keys to go forward/back and then left/right arrows to turn. It's weird.

It's very weird that it would run poorly, I mean, it runs silky-smooth on a 486.

Anyway, as in DOOM, there should be an external program called "setup.exe" or "config.exe" or something like that to change your control scheme.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    They've got all the games running in DOSBox, so I'm assuming it's just poor settings.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd definitely buy the DOOM pack if it was just the Classic DOOMs and was cheaper, on account of I already own DOOM III and it's expansion, and don't have alot of money at the moment. Definitely can't afford the giant pack though, as much as it shames me.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I sold my copy of Doom 3 a while back, so I'm happy to get it again. Replaying it... It's not as bad as I remember, although the near-constant darkness is silly.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a mod that attaches a flashlight to all of your weapons. I dunno if that would ruin the ambiance of the game though. All I've played of Doom 3 was on the Xbox

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    quake 3 is the best

but quake 2 CTF was probably the best thing to ever happen

tugga on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    is there a quake pack

because i want that

yes my girlfriend got it for me for my birthday

she didnt realize that this would cause attention paid to her to drop like a stone

tugga on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Critical wrote: »
    There's a mod that attaches a flashlight to all of your weapons. I dunno if that would ruin the ambiance of the game though. All I've played of Doom 3 was on the Xbox

You know, the purposely made it so that you don't have a light attached to your weapons. Really. It was not by accident that they did that.

Also, the Doom 3 expansion is actually much better-designed than the base game.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, the control issue in the Doom games isn't too big of a deal, since it turns out I can just load the .wad file into one of the emulators like Zdoom and run it from there.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey, have you tried JDoom? They replaced a bunch of stuff with full 3D models.

When you think about it, it's not that hard to do. all the sectors are already n-sided polygons and all the walls are strips, so redoing that in 3D isn't hard. (The reason you would want to is so you can get mip-mapping and anti-aliasing instead of having things get really grainy in the distance and pixellated up close.) But the more important improvement is the models. Rendering the models in 3D makes them look so much better as you move around them and stuff. None of that 8-angle bullshit.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think I prefer the sprites in Doom to 3D models. It's just an aesthetic thing to me, and Doom always seemed like a big overblown comic book.

That's why I preferred the monsters in Doom to the redesigned ones in Doom 3. The Doom 3 versions look nice, no doubt, but they just look so damned serious, like they brought in Clive fucking Barker to design the monsters. But that goes with the dark, scary feel they were aiming for in Doom 3, so whatevs.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would still play DOOM with the original graphics and all, but I find it interesting to see it with 3D graphics. Some people prefer it that way. I personally prefer the 2D because that's how it was meant to look. Also, it does perform better that way. Although I do have to admit that the pixellation and lack of anti-aliasing can sometimes be ugly; I'd like to see, at least, higher-res sprites with some mipmapping or something.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I should try JDoom just to see what the models look like.

But seriously, the super shotgun is pretty much my favorite weapon in any FPS. It is just so incredibly badass.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I liked the weapon balance in DOOM. Aside from the pistol and non-berserk fist, pretty much every weapon had a good use, but no weapon was perfect for every situation. The regular shotgun was probably the best general-purpose weapon and it probably got the most use, but every weapon had cases where you should use it and cases where you shouldn't.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Doom has some nice weapon balance, though I pretty much stuck to the super shotgun as much as I could when I got it.

You know what game is also good? Trackmania United. I suck at racing games, but it's pretty simple and fun.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There are some really nice model and texture packs for jDoom.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, shotgun and super shotgun were definitely the most versatile in terms of close-range safety and effectiveness, ammunition efficiency, projectile speed, and fire/dps/stun rate. Plus they gave you a lot of shells, so as long as you didn't use those weapons exclusively, you'd do OK.

Defender on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    oh man, i am playing Ratchet & Clank for the first time and it's so good

I just hope the sequels don't completely ignore the first game like the Jak series

stupid fucking GTA clones

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Did anyone play the original populous game?
    It was for dos.
    I'm remember loving it, but am trying to pick it up and have no clue why I keep failing horribly.

Trexy on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shotgun on Zombies and Imps
    Super Shotgun on lots of Zombies and Imps
    Plasma gun on Spiderbots
    Rocket Launcher on Revenants and Cacodemons

That's all I remember right now.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My friend had Populous on SNES.

I liked drowning people.

Or something.

We kind of sucked at it.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    Shotgun on Zombies and Imps
    Super Shotgun on lots of Zombies and Imps
    Plasma gun on Spiderbots
    Rocket Launcher on Revenants and Cacodemons

That's all I remember right now.

BFG on oh fuck, that's a lot of enemies RUN FUCK SHIT RUN

Moriveth on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    BFG on Cyberdemon. Then rocket launcher. Then super shotgun. Then chaingun.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Then, if you're really desperate, chainsaw.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some amateur designers released a Doom mod last month called Knee Deep In ZDoom that was hyped for years. I played it, and it's total shit. New enemies that don't fit, one new extremely overpowered weapon, inane fetch quests, and massive fucking levels with clusterfucks of key hunting. Not fun.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Trexy wrote: »
    It was for dos.
    I'm remember loving it, but am trying to pick it up and have no clue why I keep failing horribly.

Yeah. It was OK. Some design laziness was evident.

Defender on
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    oh man, i am playing Ratchet & Clank for the first time and it's so good

I just hope the sequels don't completely ignore the first game like the Jak series

stupid fucking GTA clones

From what I remember (I only sank a significant amount of time into the third one) the level of platforming in each game drops until you get to Deadlocked, which was apparently 99% combat. Some people like this, others don't.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    It was for dos.

I forgot you were the MASTER OF THE WORLD defender

In all seriousness though, I loved that populous game for the computer. I don't remember playing it in DOS though.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, I hated those bastard skeletons with the guided rockets.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Did you guys ever play SimLife? That game took away so many hours from me it was ridiculous. So cool to be able to control the stats and stuff on everything and then see how it interacted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlife

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    It was for dos.

In all seriousness though, I loved that populous game for the computer. I don't remember playing it in DOS though.

"I don't feel like designing levels, so I'll just give the players a terrain editor."

That's almost a direct quote.

So yeah, don't forget it next time.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    It was for dos.

"I don't feel like designing levels, so I'll just give the players a terrain editor."

That's almost a direct quote.

So yeah, don't forget it next time.

Almost is the key word there. What they really said was: Defender is the master of the universe, and if he doesn't like something nobody else is allowed to either.

Fuck, it was fun for its time.

Wise_a on