As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the BEER thread

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    im not that crazy about summer ale or cherry wheat anymore. I don't know why, I liked them a lot when I first had 'em.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll second Paulaner. Their hefe is quite nice, in contrast to the Shiner hefe, which is absolute sour shit.

My favorites right now:

maudite.jpg
    This is what I'm drinking right now, as in this very moment, so let me take you on a journey. It's French for "the damned," or some such stuff. Another Belgian, it's got an almost overpowering scent coming from a nice, frothy head that smells strongly of the yeast and alcohol, but it drinks smooth as silk with a sweet flavor. Tastes like tart fruits with some traditional spices thrown in. Light on the malt, but you can definitely taste it. Letting it sit, it's still smooth, but feels heavier than it did initially. Finishes with a long, dry aftertaste, strong on the alcohol. Head sticks around for a while, which I really like.

Overall a good Belgian, but you probably won't get much out of it if you're not a beer snob.

Seriously though, ALocksly, I was going to make this exact same thread today.
    get out of my head

The beer Maudite is made by Unibroue from the city of Chambly in Québec Canada.

Hub on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    im not that crazy about summer ale or cherry wheat anymore. I don't know why, I liked them a lot when I first had 'em.

Cherry Wheat too...I almost posted that. Odd that you brought it up anyway.

Hoegarden is probably my favorite.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Drez wrote: »

so we have the same favorite then. :D

Variable on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had some random ass halloween ale, and to me it tasted delicious, but I was high at the time so lots tasted delicious.

I once tried 120-minute IPA. That was tasty.. and expensive.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't like IPA or APA. Too hoppy. The brewpub downtown does a ESB that I like decently well, though, for some reason.

Back in East Lansing, there was a great little dive bar with a $2.00 cheeseburger/fries/pickle deal on Monday nights, and their specialty was having a huge variety of nation-wide microbrews on tap. Rogue Dead Guy was one of them (and one of my favorites). That's also how I discovered the Great Lakes Brewing Company and their fabulous Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Elliot Ness Amber Lager.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had some random ass halloween ale, and to me it tasted delicious, but I was high at the time so lots tasted delicious.

mmmm...best thing about the aproach of Fall...Octoberfest beers. Can't remember which I liked best though, guess I'll just have to try a bunch till I find it...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Ah cool. Draft hoegarden is just so smooth and yummy.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Capital Brewery here already has their Oktoberfest on tap. Not that I'm complaining, but ... a bit early, isn't it?

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Beer is like porridge to me. Bocks are too sweet, American light beers = water, and Stouts/Porters I just don't like but Pale Ale, IPA, and Wheat Beers are juusttttt right.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you can get Cascade Pale Ale, grab it.
    Had it last night. Wasn't bad, but something seemed different about it -- and when I looked it up on BeerAdvocate, every second review was saying it's actually more of a lager? Nothing I'd drink over local stuff, let alone the better inter-state breweries. (Little Creatures, people!)

I think this weekend I'll be trying a stout or two -- probably Cooper's Best Extra Stout and whatever else catches my eye.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    In my fridge I presently have Red Stripe, Guinness and PBR.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Make that three.

My fridge now gets a rotation of Hoeegarten or Stella Artois, with an occasional Hacker pSchorr.

Someome mantioned Halloween brew - I've had some pumpkin ale, and it was pretty good; very...pumpkiny. It was by one of the bigger small brands, Blue Moon or Leinie, I think.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blue Point Toasted Lager is one of the best beers out there

GET IT NOW

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It really is.

Drez on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I tried the Pece Peach Lambic last night - not really that great, not gonna lie. Sweeter than I thought it would be, a little too carbonated, and didn't really have that distinct peach taste the way Wachusetts has that blueberry taste.

Anybody have experiences with these types of beer? Was a first for me, so far not too big a fan - especially for $8 a pint!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Blue Point Toasted Lager is one of the best beers out there

GET IT NOW

where?

Variable on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not terribly hard to find. look in liquor stores. Shoprite might also carry it seeing as they've broken into good beer selections in the last few years.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't know if any of you guys live in the Manhattan area - but I recently discovered (in my quest for Corsendonk) a GIGANTIC warehouse type distributor way downtown on Chrystie St. called New Beer:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=1253

Apparently they have something like 800 beers on site - really hard to find rarities. I'm gonna check it out when I un-lazy myself and go down there...

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That is awesome sauce.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If you check it out - let me know how it is. I bet going in there is like walking into an alcoholic's museum

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Does anybody watch the show Beer Nuts on that HD channel Mojo? It's pretty interesting to see how hardcore some micro-brewers are

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I got a 6 pack, 2 each of 3 different beers that won some contest last year. it was put out by sam adams but these are not sam adams beers. they were quite good.

I can't remember much more than that without looking at the bottles, but it's definitely worth a sample. I always like to try as many beers as possible and this was a nice shortcut to three. although, I really enjoyed one of them and I'm not sure how to get my hands on it by itself now.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can you find out which kind they were?

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    george-x wrote: »
    Can you find out which kind they were?

something like.. boysenberry wheat, "old ale", and then I can't remember the last one.

they were just from hobbyists who won some competition last year.

Variable on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you can get Cascade Pale Ale, grab it.
    Had it last night. Wasn't bad, but something seemed different about it -- and when I looked it up on BeerAdvocate, every second review was saying it's actually more of a lager? Nothing I'd drink over local stuff, let alone the better inter-state breweries. (Little Creatures, people!)

I think this weekend I'll be trying a stout or two -- probably Cooper's Best Extra Stout and whatever else catches my eye.

Meh, you love it, or you are indifferent to it. :)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I cracked open one of my liter bottles today after work - it's reaaaally light for some reason. I can taste a hint of cherries, but not nearly as flavorful as Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat.

If I leave the bottles in the fridge for a few more weeks, will it mature a bit more and taste a bit stronger?

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If it's chilled it'll taste less potent, perhaps serving at a lower temp?

(Forgive me if this is the most useless piece of crap advice ever. :) )

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Your making beer and putting it in the fridge? thats a no no. I'd reccomend your basement, somewhere cool but not cold.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    is beer not supposed to be had cold, really? because I think something like that was mentioned earlier, but I really really like it as cold as possible.

maybe I've not had any beer that this effects adversely? don't know, but I can't imagine drinking it not strait from the fridge.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    geckahn wrote: »
    Your making beer and putting it in the fridge? thats a no no. I'd reccomend your basement, somewhere cool but not cold.

nono - the beer is done. I've been preparing for months in a reasonably cool place - now im prepping to DRINK it.

I'm asking if I should leave it in the fridge for longer than a week..

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

nono - the beer is done. I've been preparing for months in a reasonably cool place - now im prepping to DRINK it.

I'm asking if I should leave it in the fridge for longer than a week..

Oh/ It shoudnt really matter then. Try it at a cooler temp and check out any taste difference.

edit: i mean warmer temp. like cool, not cold.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    is beer not supposed to be had cold, really? because I think something like that was mentioned earlier, but I really really like it as cold as possible.

maybe I've not had any beer that this effects adversely? don't know, but I can't imagine drinking it not strait from the fridge.

Good beer doesn't need to be that cold. They dont refigerate beer in europe in the bars and stuff, just put the kegs in a cool place.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't think you're going to get any more alcohol fermentation at this point. If you let it sit for a while, you might get some more carbonation going on, which contributes to the flavor and the mouth feel. That's probably as much cherry-flavor as you're going to get, though.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This guy...is BEYOND awesome

The Bender Beer Project

plans.jpg
    rings.jpg
    frame.jpg
    covering.jpg
    painted.jpg
    glassing.jpg
    1541.jpg

"As I mentioned one of the geek jokes on Futurama is that Benders brain is using a 6502 processor. The chip was invented in 1975 and was used in many of the early home computers. My first computer was a Commodore Vic 20 back in about 1984 and both this and the later Apple 2s I owned used this processor. I thought it would be interesting to use a real 6502 processor and make my own computer from scratch and use this to make Bender talk somehow"

circuits1.jpg
    circuits2.jpg
    remote.jpg

arms.jpg
    noodlearms.jpg
    shoulders.jpg
    brain.jpg

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would pay money for that.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Heineken and Carlsberg are mah favorites.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What do you like about them? I don't like how Heineken tastes - it's too strident or sharp, and dries me out quickly like Corona.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    you should buy me beer

i don't like heineken very much

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I tried the Pece Peach Lambic last night - not really that great, not gonna lie. Sweeter than I thought it would be, a little too carbonated, and didn't really have that distinct peach taste the way Wachusetts has that blueberry taste.

Anybody have experiences with these types of beer? Was a first for me, so far not too big a fan - especially for $8 a pint!

The Lambics are all quite sweet, peche is not my favorite, but it is still drinkable. The Framboise, however, is like a tiny bit of bottled heaven in my mouth. I highly recommend trying it as a dessert drink, with fresh brownies, it is not at all like a normal beer. That said, if you are interested in a fruit type beer, but don't want quite so much sugary taste, go out and try the RedBock. it is a flemish sour ale fermented with cherries, flavorful, and not that sweet.

tl;dr: For the love of god, try the Framboise before deciding to not like lambics.

Code on