As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Beautiful [chat]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i mean at 3% inflation you lose a lot of purchasing power if you can't invest over 10 years

something like earning 7.5mm or 8mm today

that's 20-25% of your payout!! you are getting screwed in this deal!

Being 35 y/o with 8 mil in the bank sounds excellent.
    Chu has this absolutely right.

Usually, you work from 21ish to 65 (probably 70 for most of us). So, call it an average of 40 hours a week for an average of 49 weeks per year for an average of 44 years; that's just about ten years. Average lifetime pay is about $2.27 million for someone with a Bachelors.

This lets you front-load all of your work, and retire at 30-35ish (even for the oldest among us, it's still worth it at 40ish), and you end up with four times as much as you would have after a lifetime of work, also front-loaded. Not to mention that you'll be sleeping for a considerable amount of the time you're down there. And at least when I come out, I'll be swole, rich, an amazing cook, and with that library, I will probably have picked up some other knowledge, too, just to keep busy. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not, like, Powerball-winner money, but you'll be able to do just fine for yourself and never need to worry about money again, provided you live a relatively modest life.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take the stock market because imagine if you lost it all with like 8 years left. You'd probably kill yourself
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sorry I am not good at these survival scenarios. There is just not any combo I would be satisfied with. I pass.

jacuzzi
    radio

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Sorry I am not good at these survival scenarios. There is just not any combo I would be satisfied with. I pass.

*gunshot*

*Ludious' body hits the pavement*

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And I walk into a discussion that seems to involve an 18 year old being bought or left in a room for 10 years.
    look i assume she's getting paid way more than me

i'm getting paid to live in a room for a decade

she must be really getting paid to live in a room for a decade and fuck a weirdo

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Also, I think Television without Internet would be magnificent, since I don't have to participate in threads filled with people bitching about how show X isn't as good as it used to be.

you don't have to now either

you can be free

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »
    Tabarnaque!

Quebecois have the funniest swears.

Ostie, don't be makin fun of our manner of speaking!

My company is based in Montreal, so I've got a bunch of Quebecois coworkers, and they make me giggle.

l2French

What company izzit?

CGI. I work for the American subisidiary, CGI Federal.

Huh, i had no idea it was a multinational company.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So a few minutes ago I walked out of my bosses office having accepted the management position. I am moving forward on my path of oppressing the proletariat.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i mean at 3% inflation you lose a lot of purchasing power if you can't invest over 10 years

you paid them 2 million bucks to keep you in a prison for 10 years

What? That doesn't make sense. I only get the money if I stay there for 10 years.

inflation decreases your purchasing power over that 10 years

it would be something like being paid 10 million dollars today, and when you open your paycheck it's only for 7.5

but like than pointed out its not clear if it's inflation-adjusted so the entire exercise is pointless and crap

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    is it worth it to spec for pvp

take 40 guns to maximize dps

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So a few minutes ago I walked out of my bosses office having accepted the management position. I am moving forward on my path of oppressing the proletariat.

Coincidentally

are you hiring

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    The above was directed at @PowerPuppies, who said it wouldn't be worth it.

Totally worth it.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Lkoi1w4.jpg

Who says chivalry is dead?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    plugged in and ready to fall :whistle:

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    fuzzy i heard there was a riot at the mardi gras thing in galveston

how many bricks did you throw

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013

What? That doesn't make sense. I only get the money if I stay there for 10 years.

it would be something like being paid 10 million dollars today, and when you open your paycheck it's only for 7.5

but like than pointed out its not clear if it's inflation-adjusted so the entire exercise is pointless and crap

Yes, except I otherwise wouldn't be making 10 million or 7.5 million or 3.75 million or 1.875 million. Plus I don't have to work.

Like, you're focused on being "ripped off" by the loss in purchasing power. But 7.5 million is still a tremendous amount of money.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

WHY IS THE MONEY NOT SET ASIDE IN A BLIND TRUST???

IS THE WHOLE WORLD TAKING CRAZY PILLS???

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @ronya, could you please explain (in the most dumbed-down terms possible), when it comes to balance-of-payments, the difference between "investment income" that falls under current accounts and FDI + "portfolio investment" that falls under capital accounts? Basically, if "investment income" is "interest and dividend payments on investments by citizens of a country to foreigners, and by foreigners to citizens of a country," then what's the difference betwen that and FDI (where outsiders are investing domestically and presumably making a return ...? I also don't really know what "portfolio investment" is supposed to mean, and my IPE professor wasn't really able to clarify it for me -- mostly because my IPE class is a 400-person lecture.

@hamurabi

I do not study international trade, and I get short-tempered about definitions. So take my definitions with a hefty spoonful of salt.

Investment income: you (already) own capital in another country, and receive a return on it. FDI/FPI investment: someone else desires to own capital in your country, presently owned by you, and pays you to transfer the ownership to them.

So these are the same flows in opposite directions, albeit shifted across time: you only own capital in another country after you have conducted that foreign investment. Conversely, someone else presumably acquires capital in your country in order to receive later outbound flows of money.

The inbound/outbound and later outbound/inbound flows are expected to sum to roughly the same magnitudes, in terms of their value at the present moment, but they might not: if e.g., a lot of investments turn unexpectedly bad or good at the same time. Then you may get a financial crisis, sudden outflows/inflows of currency, attacks on the exchange rate peg, etc.

FDI: foreigners direct where the investment goes. Your country benefits from their expertise and connections, but may be subject to foreign objectives that may be different from your own. Foreign portfolio investment is indirect: they buy (generally minority/institutional) stakes in your national capital stock, but they don't control what happens to it; you may have to offer a higher interest rate in return for your retaining control. Compare buying a majority stake in a business, versus merely lending them a huge pile of cash of equal value to that stake. How much this matters, in terms of long-term growth, is a little non-obvious: Singapore is high FDI, Korea is high FPI, Hong Kong favoured neither.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    And now a bored, eccentric billionaire is going to come into this thread and make us an offer...

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Lkoi1w4.jpg

Who says chivalry is dead?

Wait, female Redditors get an icon denoting that?

That's effed up.

• Options

Yes, except I otherwise wouldn't be making 10 million or 7.5 million or 3.75 million or 1.875 million. Plus I don't have to work.

Like, you're focused on being "ripped off" by the loss in purchasing power. But 7.5 million is still a tremendous amount of money.

you cannot buy a jet or an island with 7.5 million chu

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Usually, you work from 21ish to 65 (probably 70 for most of us). So, call it an average of 40 hours a week for an average of 49 weeks per year for an average of 44 years; that's just about ten years. Average lifetime pay is about $2.27 million for someone with a Bachelors.

This lets you front-load all of your work, and retire at 30-35ish (even for the oldest among us, it's still worth it at 40ish), and you end up with four times as much as you would have after a lifetime of work, also front-loaded. Not to mention that you'll be sleeping for a considerable amount of the time you're down there. And at least when I come out, I'll be swole, rich, an amazing cook, and with that library, I will probably have picked up some other knowledge, too, just to keep busy. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not, like, Powerball-winner money, but you'll be able to do just fine for yourself and never need to worry about money again, provided you live a relatively modest life.

man I would rather be broke at 25 and have ten years of trying to claw my way up to a reasonably successful life than live in a basement for ten years!

Your little analysis here completely left out the massive downside of isolation from society!

sig.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Coincidentally

are you hiring

Dude the people I'm gonna be managing will be making like $8 an hour and a commission based on departmental sales. And they will be working under me. Which I'm not sure is going to be the best environment. I do promise to never actually tell an employee that they have been "rightsized".

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

please I'm from a major state university
    I've seen worse riots than that shit on a thursday

:P

It aint a proper riot till a police car is on fire and tear gas is being shot.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    And now a bored, eccentric billionaire is going to come into this thread and make us an offer...

You guys better hope I never become a billionaire because this will be me all day, every day. I will show you just how little humanity and self respect means to you in the face of cash.

• Options

I cannot wait for them all to leave, though. Traffic has been insufferable. I got so many beads last week though. This whole Mardi Gras thing is a lot of fun.

• Options

Coincidentally

are you hiring

Dude the people I'm gonna be managing will be making like $8 an hour and a commission based on departmental sales. And they will be working under me. Which I'm not sure is going to be the best environment. I do promise to never actually tell an employee that they have been "rightsized".

haha that's what they call it here when they let people go.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

You can get a ballin' yacht though.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    you know its kind of sad that the eccentric billionares all dump their fortunes into electing psychopaths to political office instead of hosting some of these elaborate 4chan scenarios

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

You guys better hope I never become a billionaire because this will be me all day, every day. I will show you just how little humanity and self respect means to you in the face of cash.

Me first plz

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

You can get a ballin' yacht though.

Which you will go rapidly bankrupt trying to maintain.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Those aren't especially important things to me.

• Options

I cannot wait for them all to leave, though. Traffic has been insufferable. I got so many beads last week though. This whole Mardi Gras thing is a lot of fun.

did you hang brain to get those beads or were people just being nice

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My brother's company has lost their contract to provide call center support for EA and his job is in peril. :(

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

When there is nothing left on earth to amuse you and your money has already acquired all the comforts and luxuries you can exploit from its diminishing reserves, there is only

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

did you hang brain to get those beads or were people just being nice
    they whipped them at us from garish floats at high velocities

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

man I would rather be broke at 25 and have ten years of trying to claw my way up to a reasonably successful life than live in a basement for ten years!

Your little analysis here completely left out the massive downside of isolation from society!

Yeah, losing the next 10 years would be worth a lot more than 10 million dollars to me. Way, way more.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Coincidentally

are you hiring

haha that's what they call it here when they let people go.

There is this really disturbing trend I've noticed with management speak, and that is to show events in the most positive light possible. So instead of layoffs, it's rightsizing. It's like this massive cult focused around never discussing this idea that something has gone wrong. Which seems weird. I shall follow the much more traditional path of just stealing credit and good ideas from my underlings.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I kinda want to be elected pope.

That'd be pretty baller.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    you know its kind of sad that the eccentric billionares all dump their fortunes into electing psychopaths to political office instead of hosting some of these elaborate 4chan scenarios

the artificial island business would be booming

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I got a thank you bonus type thing for that event I did in January

it's just below the cash payout threshold, so I have to pick like

a tent or golf clubs or a gift card or something

it's better than a poke in the eye but it is also lame to be like do I want a big ole gift card to macaroni grill or sears

This discussion has been closed.