As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini Phalla] Mafia - Village the Informed Minority (aka Mafia) and INANTP wins!

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I hope you hooligans are happy. I clocked in late for this :?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    What's the count?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The Mob has formed and picked its target(s).

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Vertroue and ebum disappeared because they died. Vertroue died to the vote. Langly was mafia. TRV is untrustworthy. Kill colour is worthless. There are many kills and many guards. I'm one of the smartest people in the room, and I can win with anyone. If someone's decided to off me, they've just cost themselves a great asset.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Anyway, good night folks. MrT is taking a dirt nap. If this misses too, then I shamequit via seppuku

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    What's the count?

I think Mega had 6 and I had 5. In any case, I think Mega dies to the vote, by one vote.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Can you get us an updated vote list @Smasher

Has it actually been working correctly for you thus far?
    It was until you jinxed it! (I made a change that broke something but I fixed it).

Vote Count:
    megamek 6: (smasher, i needed a name to post, bradicusmaximus, griswold, the anonymous, invictus)
    invictus 5: (premium, gizzy, kime, mikey cts, megamek)
    griswold 1: (theroadvirus)
    kime 1: (cesareb)
    theroadvirus 1: (mrtlicious, griswold, invictus)
    gizzy 1: (kaplar)

No votes by:
    xenogears of bore
    captainplanet82

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    That was my plan all along. Take that!

• Options
    AFAIK the vote counter itself works fine. The main flaw is that I have to go through each page to find votes and type "[playerA] for [playerB] post [vote url]" into a file which then gets read into the actual vote counter, so if I miss a vote or accidentally swap the names or something it'll screw up the results. I'm planning to have it grab the actual web page and parse the posts automatically which should A) make the process even faster, and B) prevent me from screwing votes up. Basically something similar to Phyphor's system.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    man instead of that you could just have @spoit show you how to spreadsheet. It automates and counts votes, you just have to enter the vote target for the person, which sounds easier than that.

..OoOOoOOOOOooooO

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I always think the deadline is 1.

It's always 12.

• Options
    Also I think it's funny that MegaMek failed to note that the 11th hour bandwagon was actually his biggest rival.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Day 4

The mob was angry on the third night and set out with purpose. Two people were in their sights but they finally settled on MegaMek. Another makeshift noose and the man was dead, hanging on the light post nearest their previously killed target. After rummaging through the newly departed's pockets, and finding no evidence of mafia involvement, the mob dispersed. Doubting their actions for a third night.

Gunfights and scuffles broke out all over town. Many had learned from the previous night and stayed behind defenses, rather than repeat the massive onslaught of shooting and death seen the previous night.

CesareB was one of the unlucky persons that night. After leaving the bar, he tried to quickly cross the street. He didn't even hear the silenced shots as the muffle-less car zoomed by him. As he looked down at his bullet hole riddled body, the headlights of a different car set its sights on him. He was catapulted 15 feet into the air by the impact of the second car. His last breath was drawn seconds before he even made impact with the cement.

The other unlucky one was TheRoadVirus. He saw the spectacle of CesareB's death. He didn't see the person who put the knife in his back.

MegaMek - Townsperson - Lynching
    cesareB - Mafia - Hit and Run and Drive By
    TheRoadVirus - Townsperson - Stabbed

PMs are going out now

DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING UNTIL THEY ARE ALL OUT. SERIOUSLY.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    @Invictus generally, a tie vote means that the village doesn't get a kill that night.

For that reason, it's better to get in a consensus vote on incomplete information than to get no vote at all. If the town never kills anyone, the mafia just picks them apart piece by piece at night.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    @Invictus generally, a tie vote means that the village doesn't get a kill that night.

For that reason, it's better to get in a consensus vote on incomplete information than to get no vote at all. If the town never kills anyone, the mafia just picks them apart piece by piece at night.

Gris, the standard rules may have shifted a bit. I've been playing since mid December, and basically every game I've played in, a tied vote means they both die.

But second, I agree with you, tied votes are bad. I argue that, in fact, to prevent vote manipulation, there should be if possible a 2-vote gap between the leader and the second place. But that's far from requiring consensus. We can prevent tied votes without requiring consensus.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    All PMs are out

Narration changed slightly.

Day 4 starts now and ends on 3/4 at 10pm MST

• Options
    Given that the kill on cesareb was red and that on Langly was black, I think it's pretty good evidence that kill colors don't mean much.

If you are the one that killed Langly, I have a question for you. I promise anonymity. In return I will give you a piece of information that you probably need.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Tie votes very very rarely end in no one dying.

As in, I don't recall ever seeing it in all the time I've been playing here. Which is quite some time.

Edit: They are, however, bad for the village for other reasons.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    INANTP, given that TRV died green what in particular made you consider him untrustworthy?

CesareB supposedly being killed by his own team is pretty convincing evidence kill colors are unreliable. I suppose a busdriving is possible, but given all the other weirdness this game I'm going with unreliable colors.

• Options
    Because TRV continually attempted to be a network head and continually had nothing that verified him as village?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yes, that would be a little suspicious.

• Options
    Perhaps the statement "TRV has yet to do anything to earn your trust" would be more properly interpretable.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OOoooooOoOO
    Just... just a flesh wou-bleghhh
    OoOooOooo

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Smasher wrote: »
    CesareB supposedly being killed by his own team is pretty convincing evidence kill colors are unreliable. I suppose a busdriving is possible, but given all the other weirdness this game I'm going with unreliable colors.

I agree this is weird, but how the fuck is the village supposed to have a chance if you can't draw any meaningful conclusions from the alignments revealed by kills?

Is it possible for there to be two mafia factions in a game this small?

Griswold on
  • Options
    There are games where even the alignments of the dead are not revealed, and plenty where the kills are not color-coded. I don't think it automatically becomes an untenable village position just because of that.

• Options
    And yes, but that seems like a leap in logic that I don't follow.

• Options
    My logic was the following:

-If kills don't show up with their proper alignments, then we don't know who's mafia and who's not among the dead.
    -If kills do show up with their proper alignments, it makes no sense for the mafia to kill one of their own (cesareB). Therefore, one explanation would be a second mafia faction, unless whatever vig/SKs are out there performed both a hit-and-run and a drive-by on cesareB, and that seems weird from a narration standpoint.

• Options
    There are players who can investigate true alignments of the dead.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    So are we saying:

- The alignment of the deceased is unreliable?
    - The alignment of the killers is unreliable?
    - All of the above?

Sounds like a game of cat and mouse.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    You investigated Langley and he's the only confirmed dead mafia so far?

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Could be

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I just want to kill you, INANTP, for being so cryptic and assuming it helps your position at all

Steam profile
  • Options
    Who said I think it helps? :D

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I mean come on kime, you of all people should understand the fun of being in a position where you know ten times as much as the village does, and then being under no obligation to work with them.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I think kime prefers the scenario where he is under the obligation to work against them.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    So are we saying:

- All of the above?

Gizzy

• Options
    I mean come on kime, you of all people should understand the fun of being in a position where you know ten times as much as the village does, and then being under no obligation to work with them.

Yeah yeah, but what I'm saying is that the way you are acting would make me want to kill you almost regardless of what my WC is, you are making yourself dangerous to everyone

Steam profile
  • Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    So are we saying:

- All of the above?

Unreliable I don't think is the right word. I'm positive that Langly and Grimmy, for example, had the same victory condition. They might just be mislabeled from what we're used to.

My working theory is that mafia die as serial killers, and there is some other role that dies as mafia (or maybe cesareb was just a serial killer).

Alternatively, the village might just be getting pretty unlucky and not hitting mafia and Langly/Grimmy were both serial killers, but that doesn't gel with INANTP's apparent info from Langly.

• Options
    CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    CaptainPlanet82.

I haven't very involved here. had two phone interviews today. crossing my fingers over the one.

Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • Options
    Self-votes are horrible and you should feel bad.

Steam profile