As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2nd [E3 2013] Thread: Sony Sends Their Regards (Post-E3 Giveaways Underway!)

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    deleted post

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    ME WANTIE!

Okay, I'll try to do one for the Axis.

Having found myself transported back in time to Germany, 1923, I would convince Hitler, using my knowledge of future events in his life, to give me publishing rights for his book, Mein Kampf. As an incredible commercial success, it would give me the money to finance development of a super-soldier serum.

So, now set up as a confidant of the Fuhrer, as well as a wealthy, powerful individual in my own right, I would introduce modern 'professional' wrestling, complete with costumed caricatures. I would spend my fortune relentlessly promoting it as THE sport of Germany, administering my super-soldier serum in increasing doses to the wrestlers.

Before long, with it's widespread popular appeal, every city, town, and rustic village in Germany will have it's own team, as a matter of pride. These teams will be drafted at the outbreak of WW2, and the invincible forces of the Axis army will be a battallion of raging costumed superhumans, suplexing tanks, smashing planes out of the sky with chairs, and stopping for several minutes before every fight to flex and scream at their cowering enemies.

Unable to stand against the might of German Steel, the Allied powers quickly surrender, while the loss of life in the war is minimal, as the wrestlers have long been inducted into the professional wrestling tradition of avoiding actually killing anyone.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    ME WANTIE!

Using the knowledge gained by Monty Python in the post-WW2 years, I would help the UK Ministry of Defense perfect the prototype 'deadly joke' that was being worked on during the war. Then, a crack team of assassins would be assembled and dropped into Berlin, break into Hitler's mansion, and whisper a few barely audible sentences into the Fuher's ear.

Fascism in Europe would not end with bombs and guns, but deadly laughter.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well after a couple days there have been exactly five entries, so all five win! Prizes sent out via PM.

Now for round two. I remember when it first came out there was a small following on here for Age of Wushu, even a decently sized PA clan. Well if you want to hop back into the game I have three premium loot cards. All you have to do to win one is post a youtube video that's funny and Asian.

The second half of round two is for another Snail Games product, Black Gold. I have three seven day guest beta invites for anybody that can tell a good steampunk joke.

Same rules as before put ME WANTIE! at the top of your post to let me know it's an entry.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ME WANTIE! (except not really)

I don't really want it THAT much, I just really wanted an excuse to post this video.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    GarickGarick Registered User regular
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well after a couple days there have been exactly five entries, so all five win! Prizes sent out via PM.

De-Fault, the two sweetest words in the English language.

\o/

Thanks Spaniard.

subedii on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is Age of Wushu free to play?

I'm semi-interested on this one, but more than that I just want to find a funny Asian video.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is Age of Wushu free to play?

I'm semi-interested on this one, but more than that I just want to find a funny Asian video.

Yes free to play. Here is a link to the PA thread on it for info.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/177455/age-of-wushu-is-this-blood-it-s-bleeding-you-shall-die/p1

The premium loot cards I have to give away are for a collection of in game money, storage, clothing and items.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    ME WANTIE!
    A dapper inventor was working in his lab one night, when his young apprentice came into the room, stood straight and tall, and said, "Sir, I've been your apprentice for a long time now. I feel it's time I was allowed to work on my own inventions."

The inventor straightened his monacle, and peered at the young man, meeting his eyes beneath the shade of the boy's top hat. Finally, he nodded assent.

"You are a skilled apprentice, and I'm sure you'll accomplish whatever you put your mind to. My lab is yours, do as you will."

The boy worked feverishly over the following weeks. Finally, he was ready to show off his device to the dapper inventor, and called him into the lab. Drawing aside an oil-stained sheet, he revealed a large brass pod with wheels.

"I call it a spring-omotive," he said excitedly. "It works on steam power, and can be raised far above the street to allow easier navigation through crowds."

The old inventor nodded in approval. The spring-omotive was tested, and worked like a charm.

The next day, the apprentice came to him again.

"I have another idea," he said. "For another steam-powered vehicle, one that will travel beneath the waves of the ocean."

The inventor smiled.

"You are a skilled apprentice, and I'm sure you'll accomplish whatever you put your mind to. My lab is yours, do as you will."

Sure enough, a few weeks later, the apprentice had a device ready for testing. It was a sturdy iron thing, all gears and thick glass.

"I call it a dive-mobile."

The dive-mobile was tested in the waters outside the city. It worked so perfectly that the queen herself heard of its success and ordered an entire fleet of them for the palace.

A few weeks later, the apprentice came to the inventor yet again. This time, he had a far-away look in his eye.

He explained that he had one more grand idea, one more vehicle to produce.

"I will call it...an aero-pod."

The dapper inventor pondered for a moment.

"And it will move through the air, you say?"

"Yes sir."

"And it will be powered by...steam, you say."

"Absolutely, just as the other two have been."

The old inventor pursed his lips, and shook his head, "I am sorry, dear boy, but such a thing is impossible. It cannot be done."

The apprentice was shocked. He stammered for a moment, before shouting in anger, "I have never failed you, sir! If I say I can invent such a device, I can do it! You'll see, it'll work just as promised!"

The inventor sighed.

"You are a skilled apprentice, and you can accomplish whatever you put your mind to...but not this. This thing, you cannot do. It is an idea best forgotten, my boy."

But the apprentice would not be so easily stopped. Exactly one month later, the inventor entered his workshop to find a note scribbled in his apprentice's hand:

Sir, I know you believed that it could not be done, but I have done it. All of the mathematics, all of the calculations, all the nights of engineering and manufacturing the device after you had gone...my aero-pod is ready. I will be demonstrating it for some friends outside of town at 8 o'clock this morning, by the cliff-face. It would mean a great deal if you would come to see my success.

The inventor pulled out his brass pocketwatch. He had just enough time to reach the cliffs before 8, perhaps he could yet stop this madness. He ran and ran, delayed by the early morning crowds.

Outside town, he reached the cliffs just in time to see the young apprentice bring the aero-pod to life and drive it off the cliff, its bronzed propeller whirring loudly and steam issuing from its various ports. As it plummeted, the apprentice frantically began to work the many knobs and levers inside the cockpit. Outside, flaps and gears clicked back and forth in a futile effort to arrest the device's downward momentum.

The aero-pod crashed into the ground far below, crushing itself against the hard rock.

"I tried to warn him," wept the old inventor, removing his monacle and wiping a tear from his eye. "It could not be done, not with steam."

The apprentice's friends, who had gathered to see the demonstration, looked at him quizzically.

"How," one of them asked, "Can you be so sure?"

"Because," said the old man, "There's no 'fly' in steam."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Hate mail for the preceding joke should be addressed to:

Patrick Tube
    Piggy Chimp's Apartment
    Someplace in England

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Christ. I knew it was a bad joke, but I didn't think it was a thread-killer.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Christ. I knew it was a bad joke, but I didn't think it was a thread-killer.
    You done shit the thread/bed. Though really, nobody else wants even free Wushu/Black Gold stuff?

• Options
    I'm pretty interested, especially if the game is F2P.

Unfortunately I didn't find the time to look for a funny Asian video. So if you'll forgive this for being a bit of a cheat, here's my submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em2d8K7F8z8

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Damn phone

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I don't want a code or anything. I just want to share this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BrpZe8PUBI

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looking like our heroes are getting a default win! Yay for default!!

• Options
    I really hope that was an intentional parody video and not an actual education vid. D:

• Options
    If nobody else is interested in the beta passes for Black Gold, I'm going to have to move on soon.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ok, how about this, the next two people to post a cool steampunk picture or drawing that they found online get a Black Gold beta pass.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Ok, codes given out to people that entered round two. I'll save the rest of the Black Gold passes for later. I was going to start up part three of the contest, but I had a web outage for the last day and as a result my brand new Xbox One decided to kill my dog.

Anyway, I have to leave for a trip to Europe now, and I'll be gone for a week and a half. But when I get back we'll do round three of this thing.

The last couple rounds have just been a ramp up, this next one is where it's at. So everyone keep on their toes for when I get back from my trip, cause it's going to be:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgS079ZkPU

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Arcanum_cover_copy.jpg

The coolest one? ;-)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yay! Thanks The_spaniard.

• Options
    I am back from my trip and ready to start up the post E3 swag giftage again!

Now here comes the big one.

1008725_10151492579042683_657852976_o.jpg

The wonderful folks at CD Projekt RED gave me a stack of copies of The Witcher 1 and 2 to help promote the third entry in the series, and I'm going to give 10 of them away to all the fine Penny-Arcade forumers right here, provided you can pass THE TEST.

This is a great company that deserves any gamer's money. In an age where developers and publishers are becoming increasingly anti-consumer, treating us all like money pinatas and criminals instead of real fans, RED has done more and more to swing in the opposite direction of that mentality and those practices, showing that they haven't forgotten the core values of the game industry and its fans.

If you want to get one of these Witcher double packs, you must start your entry post by posting the first Witcher comic PA ever did at the top of your post. Not a link but the image itself, so that when going over entries I can at a glance see what is an entry and what is just a normal post in the thread. Then underneath the image I want you to post a short explanation or story as to why you don't own one or both of these fantastic games yet. It can be an honest explanation, or a humorous anecdote, the choice is up to you.

The alternate way you can enter, is by writing a short passage about The Witcher. Anything at all as long as it is entertaining. It can be amusing or serious, just make sure it is Witcher related. It could be a piece of fantastical fiction set in the universe, or a true story about a time you saw your friend playing and what you thought, or an interesting conversation regarding the franchise, for example.

Don't forget to also thank CD Projekt RED for their wonderful generosity in your entries.

In a few days I'll check back on the thread and see how it is progressing. Depending on how things are going I may just give these copies out to the first ten entries, or if there are enough I'll just randomly decide some winners.

P.S. FYI these keys activate on GoG.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Then underneath the image I want you to post a short explanation or story as to why you don't own one or both of these fantastic games yet. It can be an honest explanation, or a humorous anecdote, the choice is up to you.

But in either case, is unforgivable. ಠ_ಠ

• Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

Well, I owned the Witcher the first it is just the Witcher the second that I never picked up.

There's no excuse for it, really. You know, you start out with the best of intentions. You want to stick with them to the end but you get side tracked. Newer rpg's start to catch your eye - you don't do anything about it, of course, you just daydream about what it would be like to maybe run a few side quests with a different character, maybe dabble is a story arc.

And then, one night you're home alone. The steam window flashing some fancy Elder Scrolls DLC at you and no one's going to know if you just play a little. You slip your credit card out and buy it on a whim. Use a second email address, of course. You load it up and then before you know it it's almost dawn and you've been bashing away at the keyboard all night. Guiltily you shut it down and crawl into bed, determined to put the sordid episode behind you.

But you can't. Pretty soon, you're loading up some Elder Scrolls pretty much every day. You're ignoring the Witcher, even when it's desperate for some attention. Sure it's enhanced features are a brief thrill but you finished with it anyway - there's no surprises there any more and it's time to move on.

Of course, a few months down the line, the witcher has a new look and it looks fantastic but you know it won't forgive you. You just look on enviously. Your Elder Scrolls isn't looking so great in the cold light of day - tied down with laborious AI, it's assets aren't as perky as you first thought and so far into uncanny valley they just look fake. But you're stuck with your lot now, you better try to make the best of it.

So actually, I did play the witcher 2 - it was glorious but I would like my own copy - I want a nice save game to take with me to the third.

Thank you CD Projekt RED for your wonderful generosity

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

A few years back, I gifted my brother the first Witcher on Steam, since he loves RPGs and dark storytelling. I know he played about 30 hours in before ultimately giving up on the game for a variety of reasons. At this point, I already owned the game on Steam but hadn't yet started it because BACKLOG. Eventually I gave it a try and while there were elements I liked, I stopped playing around 3 hours in. It didn't grip me enough to deal with what I felt were some dated mechanics. I sometimes feel like going back and picking it up again but BACKLOG.

Anyway, both mine and my brother's experience led me to skipping the Witcher 2 at every chance, even though I know it's a much improved game. I saw a few videos online of the combat and it looked world's better, but I'm always hesitant to grab it. I'd like to try it and fall in love with the series, because by all means the games should be a perfect fit for me.

Thanks CD Projekt RED!

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

I haven't played Witcher (yet) because I'm way, way behind on computer RPGs. Today, I'm still in the midst of my first playthrough of Planescape: Torment. Fallout (the original) is still waiting in my GoG queue for installation. Last one I finished was Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Baal. Family life leaves little time for single-player games, but some upcoming travel for work should let me RP the Gs, and it'd be nice to see what a recent game--especially one that's gained so much acclaim--brings with it.

Big thanks to both CD Projekt RED and The_Spaniard for their wonderful generosity in making this possible!

• Options
    Going to give this a few more days, I understand the thread is not so fresh anymore and most people just aren't checking it as frequently as they would have days after E3.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg
    Umm, I played the first one about halfway, was really enjoying it, then got killed in the swamp, lost an hour's worth of play, and got distracted by something shiny. I also have a horrible case of indecision in games that give you decision paths. I never picked up the second game mostly just because I never did. I just had a kid too so even a few dollars is too much for a game I won't get to for a while. But, for free, I'd love to try out Witcher 2. I've heard it's really great.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

I haven't played the Witcher cuz I'm poor as fuck and can't buy too many games, so I stick to a couple of purchases per year. I'd heard good things about the series, but other stuff managed to trump it for me. Hopefully, due to the boundless generosity of Santa Spaniard and CD Projekt Red, I will play the games, enjoy them immensely, and put the third on my tiny list of things to buy.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

I'm PLA! I know the forum says I'm Wyborn, but that's some kinda glitch. Haha, Vanilla, amirite?

I haven't played the Witcher games because my only source of income is picking up loose change off the street on my way to volunteering at soup kitchens, and nobody takes loose change for Steam cards where I live. It's quite the conundrum! I am not too proud to accept a helping hand, though it's a near thing.

Not Wyborn.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    @Wyborn @PLA If I click on your name/icon to go to your userpage and send a PM, does it go to you or Wyborn?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    To PLA. Send it to @PLA

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Whoa, Dark Link.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

Up until recently, I couldn't get the Witcher on PC as it would likely melt down the entire thing trying to play it. However, I recently got a replacement laptop that should be able to handle it (with lower settings perhaps). I did end up buying Witcher 2 on that 360 super sale, but it's probably better as a PC game anyway. I'm a big fan of stuff like Mass Effect and FF, a moderate fan of Dragon Age. Hopefully this will be awesome.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

I'm in, I've always wanted to play these two... (I know, I know).

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    i-3CnvcCW.jpg

I have already played The Witcher, but I have not yet played The Witcher 2. I know I'm terrible, but I have the type of backlog that induces a quiet unease of 50 unplayed games screaming out to be enjoyed. Lord knows that CD Projekt Red has been generous with sales as well. It's been on sale on GOG as well as Steam, but I have justified not buying it by telling myself that I should finish another RPG before I buy that one.

However, Geralt is a damn fine character. In addition to having a compelling character arc in The Witcher, he is a nice piece of man candy. While everyone else is drooling over Kaiden or whoever is considered crushworthy, I'll be in the corner dreaming of gazing lovingly at Geralt while caressing his sexy ears. He has a nice lean body and some sexy scars that make me want to rub my hands up and down his chest.

Wait, where was I going with this...?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This is the most amuzing crazy thread.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Alright entries closed and EVERYONE WINS! Copies have been sent out, check your in-boxes!