Options

Saints Row IV - Mod tools! Laser katanas! Romance options! Wall running! Terry Crews!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Uh, maybe we're operating on different information. I was just going off the brief blurb in Idol's article. Is it described elsewhere?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    having just recently bought SR3, gotta say I love that they give you the cool vehicles right off the bat. I hate finally unlocking a jet at the end of the game.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Uh, maybe we're operating on different information. I was just going off the brief blurb in Idol's article. Is it described elsewhere?

Yeah, it's described in the Australian decision to ban the game. It sounds like the attack is some sort of lengthy animation, as opposed to the dildo bat which was merely a reskin of the baseball but (but with that handy bit of flex to the physics of the weapon that made it so good for when you are surrounded).

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    IdolNinja's article mentioned the Tentacle Bat, not the probe-thing.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I can't start up a new game, it just stays on the loading screen forever. Continuing into my old game loads me into the safe house, but pressing esc doesn't bring up the menu. Pressing tab doesn't bring up the cell phone, but it does freeze everything except for the cursor. I can't get out of that, though, so I have to kill the process to quit.

I'm really at a loss here. I can't find solutions to most of these problems on their own even, and i'm getting them all at once.

• Options
    Oh, I assumed he was talking about the tentacle bat since it's the melee replacement for the dildo bat, and sounds pretty much the same. The probe is just a different weapon entirely.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Oh, I assumed he was talking about the tentacle bat since it's the melee replacement for the dildo bat, and sounds pretty much the same. The probe is just a different weapon entirely.

I see I see. We weren't talking about the same thing then.

• Options
    I see I see. We weren't talking about the same thing then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYkIJVguCU

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I don't mind shooting people, running them over with a car, chainsawing them, or beating them with a testicle bat so I got no issue with anal probing them.

In a video game.

I'd only do that last one in real life.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Wait, does that mean cockney voice is out?

No, all the original voices from SRTT are returning except female voice 2 and 3 and the special voice.

Damn, no Rebecca Sanabria? I am disappoint.

Edit; I guess Nolan North dressed up as Elvis might make up for it.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    It's all about coming up with the most hilarious and unfair ways to kill people in a SR game. It's possible that the alien probe will be needed in my playthrough. I won't rule it out. I certainly didn't lose any sleep about accepting Steiner's duel request in SR3 and then jumping into a VTOL and obliterating him when he showed up.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I can't start up a new game, it just stays on the loading screen forever. Continuing into my old game loads me into the safe house, but pressing esc doesn't bring up the menu. Pressing tab doesn't bring up the cell phone, but it does freeze everything except for the cursor. I can't get out of that, though, so I have to kill the process to quit.

I'm really at a loss here. I can't find solutions to most of these problems on their own even, and i'm getting them all at once.
    Steam? Verify content, maybe? What about drivers, do you have the latest?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the anal probe weapon seems kind of needlessly tasteless, even for saints' row

I'm generally sympathetic to the argument that sexual violence isn't necessarily more objectionable than actual violence, but still, yeesh.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    the anal probe weapon seems kind of needlessly tasteless, even for saints' row

I'm generally sympathetic to the argument that sexual violence isn't necessarily more objectionable than actual violence, but still, yeesh.

Well, it's a game about aliens. I think it makes sense in the context. Anal probes is an alien cliche from way on back.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nolan North as Nolan North. Hahahahahahahaha.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Steam? Verify content, maybe? What about drivers, do you have the latest?

Yup, and verified several times now. And a re-re-install. I've updated the drivers for my graphics card and motherboard, nothing has worked.

It's really weird. I know it's probably some thing with my upgrade to Windows 7 and a bunch of new hardware, but this is the only game that has had any issues whatsoever.

Aistan on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    So how do you get this extra 10% discount to kick in on Steam? I own SR3, but I'm only seeing the 10% preorder discount, not the extra 10% you're supposed to get for owning SR3. Or is there not a discount just for preordering?

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I don't think there's a standalone preorder discount.

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    I don't think there's a standalone preorder discount.

Guess I got used to other games on Steam doing that. Oh well. The new game does look awesome.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I will still probably get the game, but that alien sodomy weapon is repugnant, going by that description.

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    I will still probably get the game, but that alien sodomy weapon is repugnant, going by that description.

It's not a part of the story or any of the activities. I played through the entire campaign back in April, and had no idea it even existed until the Australian story came out last week.

• Options

It's not a part of the story or any of the activities. I played through the entire campaign back in April, and had no idea it even existed until the Australian story came out last week.

This is really great news. I still feel kind of disgusted that such a thing exists, and is probably treated as joke, and that my purchase of the game may encourage Volition to do something similar again.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    So how do you get this extra 10% discount to kick in on Steam? I own SR3, but I'm only seeing the 10% preorder discount, not the extra 10% you're supposed to get for owning SR3. Or is there not a discount just for preordering?

Think GMG's 25% off code that they have up for the moment works on SR4. So could always grab it that way.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/hands-on-with-the-saints-row-iv-press-preview.2759/page-7#post-23190
    Hey There,

I'm Jon, a new Lighting Artist at Volition. While I probably can't say a lot about what we're doing, the lighting is definitely motivated and thought out; it's not just night for the sake of night. The city wide time of day is changed by player action and by how you far along you're getting toward breaking down Zinyak's simulation. We used color to drive a lot of the player feedback - hotspots and flashpoints are lit with harsh, oppressive reds and when taken over by the player, they turn to a soft, safe feeling blue. It's one of the first times I've been motivated to actually really push toward 100% city takeover because the visual change accompanies it and I feel like I'm actually accomplishing. It's a pretty refreshing addition that's subtle, but brings a great mood and feeling. Same with time of day - can't go into full detail, but the nighttime that you're seeing isn't the only time of day you'll get in the city and there's a pretty cool surprise when you beat the game as well.

Hopefully that answers the question without a lot of spoiling. Can't wait for you guys to play it!

-Jon

EDIT - I also wanted to quickly mentioned that the fact that you stated an "annoyance" means that the phycology we're using in the lighting is working. We made some choices to make the simulation feel oppressive and stifling but you'll find that as you progress, things certainly start feeling much better.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it will make for a nice sense of progress.

103 hair styles, that's great news. And more cars, more guns and more clothes!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

That's encouraging actually.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Hey I remember people talking about the best mission order to take SRTT, does anybody remember it? I'm just playing for the first time now.

• Options
    @Nuzak
    I found this, I think while lurking SA
    So after 3 games, I've finally figured out how to play the game to make the story feel right, and get rid of most of those "where did that cutscene come from?" moments.

1. Do all the missions up until the cutscene before the Powder mission, ie do the Genki mission with Pierce, but don't keep going.

2. Grab Pierce and Shaundi as homies, drive around and do all the Gang Ops in Downtown, buy all the property you want, do all the activities, but only do all this stuff in Downtown.

3. After you've felt like you've caused enough mayhem, start up the cutscene bit, then do Powder and Belgian Problem, blow up the tower.

4. Now that you are back in Steelport, you should commemorate by never talking to Kenzie or Angel after you recruit them, just do all of Zimos activities, along the way smashing stuff in the New Colvin area, buying stuff, etc, I did all the gang ops with Zimos and Oleg which was fun.

5. Keep doing missions over there, smashing stuff along the way (I'd honestly advise 100%ing Colvin before doing Hos Up, since that gets you Safeword.), eventually you finish them off in that area, and Oleg brings up the Gang Bang mission, go do that.

6. You now have Stag to deal with, this could go either way as to how to progress, if you go and do the Live! With Killbane mission, you could bounce off that you've been framed and THATS why you need to go start the Stag missions, or you could just start the Stag missions and go over to the Live! With Killbane mission after, either way, do the Stag missions up to Stag Party, then leave it before starting My Name is Cyrus Temple.

7. Now you have Stag hurting and thinking you don't exist anymore, and the Deckers are on your shit list, so go do a bunch of Kenzie missions all at once, probably would help to do the activity ones first, but I actually found they made more sense after deckers.die, same with conquering that district, the game flowed much better when I did Computer > Chair > deckers.die, then did the "Lets move Kenzie to a new place/lets protect Kenzie" missions.

8. Now that the Deckers and Stag are out of the way, Murderbrawl should pop up, instead of doing it, do all the Angel activity missions, since he's "building character", then go do Murderbrawl.

9 Grab My Name is Cyrus Temple, and push through to the end of the game, making whatever choices you want.

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    cheers!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/hands-on-with-the-saints-row-iv-press-preview.2759/page-7#post-23190
    Hey There,

I'm Jon, a new Lighting Artist at Volition. While I probably can't say a lot about what we're doing, the lighting is definitely motivated and thought out; it's not just night for the sake of night. The city wide time of day is changed by player action and by how you far along you're getting toward breaking down Zinyak's simulation. We used color to drive a lot of the player feedback - hotspots and flashpoints are lit with harsh, oppressive reds and when taken over by the player, they turn to a soft, safe feeling blue. It's one of the first times I've been motivated to actually really push toward 100% city takeover because the visual change accompanies it and I feel like I'm actually accomplishing. It's a pretty refreshing addition that's subtle, but brings a great mood and feeling. Same with time of day - can't go into full detail, but the nighttime that you're seeing isn't the only time of day you'll get in the city and there's a pretty cool surprise when you beat the game as well.

Hopefully that answers the question without a lot of spoiling. Can't wait for you guys to play it!

-Jon

EDIT - I also wanted to quickly mentioned that the fact that you stated an "annoyance" means that the phycology we're using in the lighting is working. We made some choices to make the simulation feel oppressive and stifling but you'll find that as you progress, things certainly start feeling much better.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but it will make for a nice sense of progress.

103 hair styles, that's great news. And more cars, more guns and more clothes!

I've seen this in a handful of games, and generally enjoy it.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    @Nuzak
    snipped

Ignoring Kinzie? Doesn't sound like any storyline I want to be a part of.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    @Nuzak
    snipped

Ignoring Kinzie? Doesn't sound like any storyline I want to be a part of.
    You don't ignore her entirely, just until later in the game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That thing tries to make the game's narrative make more sense. It doesn't totally succeed, but it does a better job than the game's fairly directionless mission order.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I remember anal probing as a wee lad playing Destroy All Humans! on the Xbox. Because that game was a parody of alien cliches.

I'm sorry if that offends your sensiblites when being a literal kidnapping whoremonger mass murderer crime lord dictator with a fucking dildo bat didn't.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    For anyone having an issue with SR2 cutscene objects not aligning correctly, we have found the cause and a fix:
    http://idolninja.com/blog/?p=2000

• Options
    Could we get a Rebecca Sanabria mod for SR4? :winky:

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Are you a Latina with a sultry voice?
    Call me. :winky:

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    No more latino voice? And a Southern voice? Ugh.

I guess the French accent might be nice, if it isn't too overdone.

• Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Are you a Latina with a sultry voice?
    Call me. :winky:

No, but I play one on TV!
    Well, I was anyways. :cry:

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/volition-stole-everything-it-could-for-saints-row-iv-and-the-result-is-a-ne

PA Report about SR4. Ben Kuchera really likes it and says it bombards the player with funny pop culture satire very, very often.

• Options
    @IdolNinja when does the next embargo lift? I saw a big preview video linked on SA, but I don't if there is an embargo, or if it would be OK to post it here.

There's a "Your Boss is completely covered from head to toe in costume, kill all of these people as we introduce the cast and establish the setting" cold open or whatever thing, and while it looks fun, but it might make people angry. I read an article, and the person who wrote it was sort of offended by it. It does seem to utterly nail what it is satirizing though.

This discussion has been closed.