As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saints Row IV - Mod tools! Laser katanas! Romance options! Wall running! Terry Crews!

IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
edited June 2013 in Games and Technology
Saints Row IV™ - From the Crack House to the White House. The ball-busting next chapter in the Saints Row franchise, is starting a party in your pants this August.

a72rMmL.jpg

War for Humanity E3 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-NcnVHzIo

Saints Row IV has been announced for release on 8/20/13 for North America and 8/23/13 worldwide. It was originally planned as a standalone expansion for Saints Row: The Third and called Enter the Dominatrix. A decision was made at the end of last year to make it a full blown sequel and give it a longer development cycle with the ETD content wrapped in. The basic story has been revealed that the head of the Saints has been elected President of the United States, leading the charge against an alien force in a struggle to save humanity. Players will "wield gargantuan superpowers" and have an "arsenal of alien weaponry and technology" at their disposal, as well as the ability to leap buildings, outrun enemies and use telekinesis.
We're leaving @VolitionInc in full creative control of the long-in-development #SaintsRowIV with additional time for polishing. No rushing!

The Saints Row IV Teaser Trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5lfDVjF3w

Trailer Analysis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IrWrG4mGk

43 Screenshots snapped from the trailer with comments. Some of this info was from the trailer analysis, and some of it is my own:

Part I: Game mechanics and non-spoilery pics
New suit and robot dance taunt
mw2w3bZ.jpg

New pants
PYfn2HW.jpg

Flopping wang physics with black censor bar. This is something that Volition wanted to do for SRTT and ended up pulling it (no pun intended) at the last minute and using the SR2 mosaic. This likely means that super crazy breast bouncing is in as well that suffered the same fate.
uC9GwwU.jpg

Super powers running
aeje13B.jpg

Super powers running with a Flash outfit
gktH3mC.jpg

loltrinity
6TFBQ5D.jpg

Player leaping into the air getting ready to ground pound with his fist
q9EtzpG.jpg

Ground pound connects
jLTkuP4.jpg

Freeze palm blast
SF94sVT.jpg

Freeze palm blast effect on npc
bnPQYaw.jpg

Shattering frozen npc with a punch like Subzero in Mortal Kombat
OUDdlN8.jpg

Super uppercut sends npcs flying similar to Saints Row 1 drunken punching
UHzctbI.jpg

Super uppercut connect and sends npc flying. You can see his shoes in the top right
f5x3A5G.jpg

More super uppercut
flMvfUd.jpg

Super kick also sends npc flying straight up
nu1qETM.jpg

Fuck yeah! Telekinesis!
ohr0FF5.jpg

Flight
FDY6IjC.jpg

More flight
HZVK2HI.jpg

Looks like the 1920s mobster car from the SR2 DLC
PHkauuJ.jpg

Monster truck returns!
n5Oa25P.jpg

X-2 Phantom returning. Also, VR symbols on the cop car and road signs
M5b8dFs.jpg

Hard to see in the pic, but watch the trailer again for this part. Hydraulics are back! :D
hzZDkng.jpg

Laser rifle
5lW6ZmF.jpg

Laser rifle and Space Amazon suit from one of the outfit dlc packs
fj733c4.jpg

Laser pistol with scope
CvnYeyn.jpg

Looks to be the laser pistol sans scope
GHymPZP.jpg

Guitar case machine gun from the movie Desperado. Hopefully we get a rocket launcher version as well! :D
aVlmGvC.jpg

Gun that inflates/expands npc's heads. Looks like super fun times. Please god let us be able to use this on our coop partner.
bEydYap.jpg

Fuck yeah! Mechs!
K3j2ZBJ.jpg

You are definitely piloting it in this part of the trailer. I really hope we can customize them too.
0M4b5u3.jpg

Part II: Story conjecture and pics

Sepia toned politics shot.
88wIWde.jpg

Another sepia tone pic. The house interior is a big clue that we're in the past and that there is some kind of time travel mechanic. Perhaps the aliens went back in time to make you not-President and you have to go correct it like Star Trek First Contact. Also, that looks like a custom walk animation. Custom walks may be reinstated from sr2!
g7fUsx7.jpg

I disagree with xFL1PPYx that this is whored mode. It has the same sepia filter as the time travel pics, and is likely story related instead. Something possibly with the mutated Saints Flow.
yAwQGZW.jpg

Saints Flow can fight aftermath. Once again, see the filter on it.
Iygscnp.jpg

Looks like a boss alien. Possibly the final fight against Zinyak. Cool cape. Player slides underneath him.
ovyQeVR.jpg

Player comes up behind and uses Tai-Chi to redirect force and flip the alien. Looks very Matrix-y like the dojo training.
xJK0Agw.jpg

More fight stuff with player's legs locked around the alien's neck, likely about to flip spin him.
uyEZr7s.jpg

Fighting aliens in Kinzie's warehouse crib
xgL549u.jpg

Looks to be a stationary turret section
euUUhwV.jpg

Possible cutscene that may be showing a new crib and secret service homies
2DIXCvy.jpg

Player going into (or coming out of) the VR booth. It's likely that the superpowers will be available only in VR.
IIKQ5ue.jpg

Huge mutated Saints Flow can that we originally saw on the EtD news release
a7IRuVt.jpg

Saints Row IV official Screenshots!

fHTvByq.jpg
X387gAR.jpg
yd2ODsG.jpg

More Media!

hbOFuLL.jpg

7u4Or9L.jpg

untitled-2egov7.gif

Link to the original huge wallpaper version of the above pic:
http://i.imgur.com/L3xmIrR.jpg

Previous Saints Row: The Third thread:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/152426/saints-row-the-third-volitionsr-get-new-owner

IdolNinja on

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Dat flag.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    No Oleg or Pierce?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Finally! The Crackdown sequel I always wanted

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    That's Pierce in the car.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Finally! The Crackdown sequel I always wanted

lol... this may be closer to a Prototype without the virus though? :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    That's Pierce up there with the gun isn't it?

Oleg is probably telling creationist to go fuck a tree as the Minister of Education.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Finally! The Prototype sequel I always wanted!

With more giant robots

And the option to play as a big lady body slamming super soldiers

Aw yis

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So...I know when everyone else was raging about it(THQ's handling of it) I was defending it but I'm wondering now with all the shit that's been going on at THQ what's the chances that this isn't going to feel rushed?

I mean didn't it just change developers to...*sigh*

I mean I'll probably buy it but am somewhat worried now.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...I know when everyone else was raging about it(THQ's handling of it) I was defending it but I'm wondering now with all the shit that's been going on at THQ what's the chances that this isn't going to feel rushed?

I mean I'll probably buy it but am somewhat worried now.

It didn't change developers - Volition is still developing it.

What it did do is change publishers from THQ to Deep Silver.

• Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    While I sort of prefer some aspects of sr2 to 3, I am fully on board for a merger with Crackdown. When you have gone so there are only so many things left to do and superpowers is one of them. Hopefully there will be a collection of ridiculous batman styled cars with jump/flying abilities so I can play out my very own Dick Knight fantasies.

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular

Volition is still the developer. They only changed owners/publishers. i.e. Koch Media and Deep Silver who are on record stating that they have given Volition full creative control to do what they want.
    We're leaving @VolitionInc in full creative control of the long-in-development #SaintsRowIV with additional time for polishing. No rushing!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well, that makes me feel slightly better.

And the fact that Boss looks like he's basically Superman at this point is awesome.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The super powers thing is just incredible. I've been wanting this game for a long time, and SR4 is delivering it to me.

This will probably end up feeling like Saints Row 3.5 with super powers. I don't care. Its going to be awesome.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I wonder how/if they'll reconcile the whole blatantly killing police thing that we can see in the first screenshot too... never really went out of my way to fight the cops in these games, but... yeah. Boss is the President now. :P

@Dragkonias: I was thinking the same thing. Kind of a corrupt superman takes over and then some bad guys come along. Not "Irredeemable" level corrupt, but bad nonetheless.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If SR4 is a bigger and more badass version of SR3, like how SR2 is a much better SR1, then I'm all in fucking board.

I really fucking hope they fix the wardrobe customization, though.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I hope that the characters are having more 'fun' in this game, espescially Shaundi. She was very depressing in the last one.

edit - Not that I'm saying the game wasn't fun, but sometimes the characters didn't seem to be also enjoying themselves.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There is so much to love about that wallpaper. So much.

The Presidential Seal, dude.

saints-row-4-presidential-seal_zpsf1e6f810.jpg

jdarksun on
  • Options
    One thing I hope they work on is the main storyline.

Like I liked how over the top everything was kind SR3 main story fell kind of flat towards the end.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If the developers are given the time they can make wonders, it really depends on a host of things. Especially with how THQ was going down in flames they might have put a much bigger team for the expansion that turned into this, so maybe we'll even get proper cut scenes now. One can hope, there is always the fear it might be rushed but we can only wait and see. More crazy goodness is never too bad a thing. Hell I almost expect them to mock the Dead Island zombie bikini bust, that would be a laugh with a parody of one featuring a Saint.

Cade on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Given how much less I enjoyed 3 compared to 2, and with the publisher change, i'm definitely a bit less excited going into this than I was when 3 was announced. I'll still probably end up getting it and enjoying it, though. I just hope that they actually make a coherent plot and cutscenes this time around.

Plus it's not like they can repeat my biggest annoyance with 3 (Johnny Gat) again, so they have that going for them.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I wonder how/if they'll reconcile the whole blatantly killing police thing that we can see in the first screenshot too... never really went out of my way to fight the cops in these games, but... yeah. Boss is the President now. :P

I think it's pretty easy to see how this came about. After declaring Steelport its own independent Saints-run nationstate, the US military kept trying to take it back with the expected limited amount of success. The Boss, eventually growing tired of having her strip shows constantly interrupted by US tanks in dire need of blowing up, decided to use the massive profits from Saints in Space to buy the presidency run a successful presidential campaign.

And that's how the Boss went from street thug to president.

• Options

I think it's pretty easy to see how this came about. After declaring Steelport its own independent Saints-run nationstate, the US military kept trying to take it back with the expected limited amount of success. The Boss, eventually growing tired of having her strip shows constantly interrupted by US tanks in dire need of blowing up, decided to use the massive profits from Saints in Space to buy the presidency run a successful presidential campaign.

This is probably true.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    That's Pierce in the car.

Has he not been in the son for a year?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

Aren't the Saints Dethklok level celebrities at this point?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man, koch Media are freaking perfect for these guys. All the controversy from the zombie boob torso fills me with hope that Volition can go that extra mile and offend everybody but actually get away with it. Cannot wait!

Hoping the map is much bigger this time too tbh.

• Options
    Meh. Thing about Saint's Row is that the game is so tongue in cheek that's its hard to really get offended by anything in it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh my yes.

Yes my oh!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Meh. Thing about Saint's Row is that the game is so tongue in cheek that's its hard to really get offended by anything in it.

That's what I meant with the getting away with it part. ;)

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    It's funny. Watching the video just makes me feel like this game is just more of the same, but looking at the screenshots and reading the synopsis makes this game look awesome. Being a superhero president sounds ridiculously bad-ass.

It looks like it's going to be a pretty packed second half for people who like open world games. GTA V, Saints Row IV, Assassin's Creed IV and Watch Dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if Just Cause 3 ended up as a launch title for next-gen systems as well.

• Options

I mean that if the boss is the President, then killing cops woudln't exactly help his approval ratings... but then again abject terror means none shall stand against the Saints and all, lest they get an alien tentacle bat to the face.

• Options
    Well, it could be that the alien stuff doesn't come until later...

and the fact that Boss is crazy.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So they saw the Crackdown-sized whole in everyone's heart and decided to fill it?

I'm down.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    Could be that the aliens have some collaborators on their side.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Pre-order is on!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You know what I really like about that wallpaper/teaser image? Equal amount of men and women in it. In this industry of gruff military manbros, that's something of a rarity.

• Options
    roofleroofle Murderland (MD)Registered User new member
    If it's on the same engine, I wonder if it'll have the same issues that plagued SR3 on PC? AKA the abysmal FPS that never got resolved for a lot of users. I'll most likely hold off on buying this game before knowing, seeing how Volition promised it would be optimized, and later said that they would fix those issues, when they just flat out lied on both counts.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    To get back to the end of the last thread, when I say I wanted the franchise to move back to the tone of SR2, that in no way means taking the funny out.

There was tons of funny in SR2 (and SR1, though to a slightly lesser extent).

The difference was it was the really crazy stuff was optional, with all the funny in the "main story" being mostly regulated to dialogue and the world wasn't as unrealistic as SR3's. This gave the game more variety because you could play through your somewhat serious gang war story, but you could also be a man in a hot dog suit spraying sewage at people and beating up mimes with a mailbox.

In SR3, however, you are already the man in the hot dog suit the first time you play through the game. I like doing crazy run-throughs of these kind of games, but they do lose their charm, especially when that's the only option. Then you throw in how SR3 had less of everything else (Missions, Activities, Diversions, Clothing, etc.) and it doesn't quite attain the level of replayability that SR2 had.

On a related note, SR1 and 2 both had "shit just got real" serious scenes where something tragic happens that the Boss has to react to. SR3 only did this once and only if you go for the bad ending (they could have done it earlier in the story with a certain character, but they totally dropped the ball on it).

Still, SR3 was fun and did get more hours put into it than your average game (just not as much as SR2). Reusing assets should hopefully have given them more time for including additional content so SR4 should be an improvement though.

This discussion has been closed.