As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Crap they finished the KOTOR II Restoration Mod

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Most of the reason why we don't have those old Star Wars games is due to licensing and whatnot. I know that's the reason behind the whole X-Wing family not being remade and re-released officially.
    And Force Commander is a great game! Don't you say nothing more out of your goose mouth, you heathen!

The way LucasArts likes to make abso-damn-lutely sure that they own everything that's involved with everything related to their IP, I'll need to stamp a big ol' [Citation Needed] on that one.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Still on Telos, forgot how long it takes for this game to open up.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    1.8.2 and the M4-78EP add-on are releasing on the 28th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8t4SFCWcfo

And last, upcoming 1.8.2 information...

Not a whole lot of stuff in here. There isn't much left after 1.8.1 to fix that could be fixed. Engine issues etc. sure, but that's beyond our reach... :/
    Here are some things I did fix that could still be fixed, keeping a little cryptic :). As you can see, mostly minor stuff. But polish is nice, no?

* TXI issue in 301 (JCarter426)
    * Zezkaiell fem revan overlook (danil-ch)
    * workbench dismantling using PC skill instead of user.
    * Modulesave.2da update
    * 152HAR droid2.dlg fix (Josh D found it)
    * 203TEL; Removed automatic Ithorian journal update, need to actually ask for Loppak and be refused for the journal to update.
    * Conditioning - Sith Maurader, Jedi Weapon Master fixed
    * Mobility (thanks to BarnzyBobble for a lot of testing)
    * Dahnis fix male-line break (Female line)
    * Mobility feat
    * Bao-Dur Cyan Lightsaber create
    * Security spike tunneler skin
    * 650DAN teammates scene fixes

Also vote for the mod on the moddb page

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Is there a decent mod manager for this yet? Is there a way to get higher resolution and widescreen without having to use a no-cd hack?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    What's being worked on right now...

Also, MOTY seems to be up and running. Feel free to support us in that manner, it would be appreciated. I doubt we can hold ground against the many shooter or RTS-mods, but who knows?

So, without further ado, what's coming...

TSLRCM 1.8.2

Now, it's definitely not intended to become a regular thing, these version updates. After 1.8, there isn't much to restore or fix after all. However, some small bugs slipped by, and even by 1.8.1. The only reason why there will be a 1.8.2 is due to M4-78EP. I hope for a similtanious release. Don't expect any spectacular fixlogs though, it's mostly just tiny fixes and adjustments.Although, if you still know of some bugs in TSL with 1.8.1, this would be the very best time to mention them.

M4-78EP

Reaching the end of the Beta-period, M4-78EP is almost admidst us. Giving an entire planet filled with a long main quest, several side-quests and the hunt for Vash M4-78EP is sure to add a few hours of gametime to your TSL experience. Nearly all droids are fully voiced, hopefully neatly integrating this into normal gameplay.M4-78EP will be hosted here on this moddb, since most of the crew overlaps anyway. And I (and probably not zbyl either otherwise he already made it) don't really want to start a new moddb page seperately. Especially if the hundreds of watchers here mean everybody gets instantly notified of it's release, instead of having a new page get that attention again.

The GenoHarden Mod

Exile007 has released his work. However, it's not compatible with TSLRCM yet. Other modders are permitted to do so, and several have already shown interest in doing so. And if they fail, I'll do it myself. Although that probably will take more time, so I rather hope it doesn't have to come to that.This mod adds some custom stuff to make what was left of the GenoHaraden work, and not stand out as a sore thumb (as would be the case if we added it to TSLRCM, as what OE has left is not enough to do a restoration).

So, there is plenty of good stuff coming. Follow us (or even vote for MOTY) so you are made aware the instant these mods are released!

-The TSLRCM/M4-78EP team

• Options
    edited December 2012
    M4-78EP has been released along with version 1.8.2 of TSLRCM

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm
    M4-78EP offers an entire new planet, on your search for Master Vash.
    Features:
    * Brand new planet consisting of seven new, unique locations!
    * Over two hours of additional gameplay!
    * Explore the mysterious Droid's Planet in a dialog-heavy adventure, with over 1000 lines of voiced dialogs!
    * Your actions on M4-78 have impact on other planets, making it feel like a legitimate part of the game!
    * Restored previously unavailable unique droid items for your party members!

Please leave your comments, reviews, bug reports etc. on our official forum, deadlystream!
    Fixes:
    (all included mods are used with permission!)
    * Includes 301NAR Txi fix by JCarter426
    ** Fixes window near Tienn not being see-through. Now you can see Tienn from the docks.
    * Includes Zez-Kai Ell Revan Overlook fix by danil-ch
    ** Because, apparently, we overlooked one. Splicing was done well too.

* Main screen logo updated to 1.8.2, and it no longer inverts suddenly sometimes (thanks Darth_Sapiens). For the best effect remove the kotor2logo.txi 1.8.1 had if you patched up to version 1.8.2 from 1.8.1.
    * A few addition grammar fixes.
    * Bao-Dur can now use cyan and bronze crystals to create your first saber. Also fixes the issue where you'd get stuck if you only had a cyan crystal and no other. Vanilla issue, only became apparent now since a no-longer broken since 1.8 store on Telos has a fixed Cyan crystal.
    * Fixes issues when you leave Adana in her cell, then talk to her again and tell her to run not updating the quest properly, potentially getting it stuck. (Thanks plyinglemon for getting said situation to our attention by suffering from it)
    * The workbench will now use the skill of the user, instead of the PC when dismantling items for components.
    * Updated modulesave.2da.
    * Fixed broken questupdate with the sabotaged protocol droid on the Harbinger (thanks Josh D for finding this).
    * Telos, thugs infront of the door to the Exchange compoud; Removed automatic Ithorian journal update, need to actually ask for Loppak and be refused for the journal to update.
    * Nar Shaddaa, Pazaak Den; Fixed potential convo-break for males with Dahnis.
    * The Security Spike Tunneler now uses the correct skin (it used to look just like the Security Spike, even if it had an unique icon).
    * Onderon; Removed the "A Matter of Leadership" mission from your questlog if you leave the planet without finishing it.
    * Several improvements to the Rebuild Jedi Enclave cutscene on Dantooine.
    * Telos surface; Added lipsync to one of Atton's line since it was missing.
    * Updated Vash bodies' lightsaber drop.
    *** The following 2 fixes modify feat.2da. Be aware if you use mods overwriting this it will undo those fixes;
    * The Jedi Weapon Master and Sith Maurader may purchase the Condition (+saving throw) line of feats.
    * Restored the Mobility feat. The mobility feat gives a 10% increase in movement rate.
    (thanks to BarnzyBobble for his assistance in testing if it worked properly)

C2B on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the steam version? I missed it when it was 2.50, but I may still pick it up for 5... but I'd hate it if was the original game only and the mods didn't work with the steam version.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    There's no .exe fuckery, it will be fine.

The only exception is possibly any widescreen mods. But even those have workarounds.

captaink on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    This is fantastic news all around. $5 for a game I have never touched and the mod to make it "right." I am totally picking this up. I'm one of the few who didn't see the twist coming a mile away in KOTOR and I know people think II is even better, if not the greatest ever.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Anyone who doesn't think KOTOR II is better than KOTOR either hates bugs and glitches so much that it keeps them from enjoying the game or they have horrific taste.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    wow. hold tight the mod scene massive; that is some perseverance.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Been playing KOTOR 2 for a couple of weeks now but I've seem to have encountered a pretty severe bug that keeps me from completing it.
    When returning to the Telos Academy, you're forced to fight your sisters as the Handmaiden..however, nothing happens when I kill them (and stunning them or reducing them to low health doesn't work either) and two of them don't aggro properly and only start fighting back when I attack them.

I tried reinstalling the game & the mod and loading earlier saves but nothing works.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Got Kotor 2 gifted during the sale, only ever played it once so I imagine it's going to be almost a completely different experience with the mod installed.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Been playing KOTOR 2 for a couple of weeks now but I've seem to have encountered a pretty severe bug that keeps me from completing it.
    When returning to the Telos Academy, you're forced to fight your sisters as the Handmaiden..however, nothing happens when I kill them (and stunning them or reducing them to low health doesn't work either) and two of them don't aggro properly and only start fighting back when I attack them.

I tried reinstalling the game & the mod and loading earlier saves but nothing works.

Do you have any other mod installed apart from TSLRCM?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

A few, but the problem persisted after reinstalling the whole game and only running the Restored Content mod.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »

A few, but the problem persisted after reinstalling the whole game and only running the Restored Content mod.

Sadly, your save could already be damaged there. TSLRCM doesn't play well with several mods.

I'll ask.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Couldn't he just console the quest complete?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    From Kevin D Saunders Formspring
    Have you seen the KotOR2 game mod that restores M4-78 to the game? (There's two trailers for it on YouTube under "M4-78 Enhancement Project") If so, do you have any thoughts?

I haven’t played the mod (or thought much about KotOR2 over the last eight years!), but after reading your question (thanks for bringing it to my attention!), I watched the three YouTube playthrough videos made so far by JC (C842vids).

I love that people are passionate about some games, and interested enough in game development, to invest the time and energy to mod them, and this enhancement project is a great example. I thought the environment for M4-78 looked great, so particularly for that reason I’m excited that this project was undertaken – it’s good to see that work be brought to light, while giving the modders a physical environment to work with so that they didn’t have to make it from scratch.

Some history: M4-78 was my first assignment when I began working at Obsidian Entertainment in April, 2004, as a senior game designer reporting to lead designer (and company creative director) Chris Avellone. A brief outline of the area had been written by Dave Maldonado – that was a starting point, but Chris let me take it wherever I wanted and modify the previous plans as I saw fit. I don’t recall exactly, but perhaps I worked on the area for about a month all told before we wisely decided to cut it. There was just too much work to do to complete the game and we had to focus. Given the options, M4-78 was an obvious cut to make – if I recall correctly, the contenders were M4-78 and Nar Shadda, and the latter was far more central to the plot. As has been noted by the community, I was able to repurpose some of the M4-78 content to allow G0T0’s yacht to be implemented more quickly later in the project – it also might had to have been cut otherwise. (I remember Chris was talking with me about how, reluctantly, the yacht might need to go – all of the art was done, but very little of the design and we were close to the end of the project. I committed to him that I could design and implement it in within a week. He trusted me to do so and, while it wasn’t our best area =), it felt great to deliver it for Chris and the game.)

Back to the M4-78 Enhancement Project – it was definitely the right choice for the team to run with the design and craft their own experience. JC’s videos don’t yet cover the entire new planet, but I like the direction the team seems to have taken and (from what I’ve read in forums) how they’ve held true to Chris’s vision for KotOR2, while seizing ownership of this section of the game. That’s how you get the best gameplay experiences – when the people implementing the actual content are empowered to do what they feel is best, while guided by a clear vision. I’m excited that community members took on and completed this ambitious undertaking – I hope they are proud of their accomplishment (as they should be!).

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    That's neat to know, I was wondering how much of M4-78 was original content vs cut content. I installed it, but was a silly goose and forget that once you go to Dxun you are stuck there until you finish so I haven't been able to check it out yet.

And as an aside thank goodness for the PC version and these mods, I never thought I'd play an unscrewed version of this game. I feel sorry for my friend who has to settle for the 360's backwards compatibility. Performance is terrible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    To be honest, aside from a couple of points (like HK stopping GOTO), the vanilla cut is better.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This is basically going to be an excuse for me to come back to this game after five years of not touching it

I wonder if Kreia is as well-written as I remember

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    To be honest, aside from a couple of points (like HK stopping GOTO), the vanilla cut is better.
    Yeah, even for a game as rushed as KOTOR II, sometimes you can tell why stuff was cut and prefer that it had stayed cut.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Despite its many flaws, I could never muster up proper disappointment for KOTOR II. My dark sider become so hilariously broken in its power level that there was nothing I couldn't pick up, throw lightning at, repeat. forever.

The exception being the final boss, which dared to pierce my divine armor.

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    I really wish I had a fresher perspective about what was new, haven't played it vanilla in a great many years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    C2B on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Anyone who doesn't think KOTOR II is better than KOTOR either hates bugs and glitches so much that it keeps them from enjoying the game or they have horrific taste.

One is the Lion King, the other is Hamlet. Similar, but different. KOTOR and KOTOR II tell different kinds of stories. KOTOR is a pure Hero's Journey redemption story. It's the purified and perfected essence of Star Wars. KOTOR II is deeper, richer, more complex story with brilliant ideas. It's one of the all-time great RPGs, but it aims for entirely different targets than KOTOR.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    From that interview:

HK's interpretation of love.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    God, that looks like he just smoked one of the Husks from Mass Effect.

Reading about AVellon's plans for KotOR3, they were exactly what I thought they would be almost a decade ago. I would have given one of my legs, at the time, to be able ot play that sequel.

I guess that's a big part of why I'm sour on the Old Republic. What could have been, that story right there? It would have been my favorite Star Wars story of all time.

Avellone's "True Sith" were scarier than the Reapers, on a conceptual level, before the Reapers even existed.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

As someone who hasn't played KOTOR2, should I read that article? I don't mind mild spoilers, but if it does the equivalent of spoiling the KOTOR1 thing I'd be mighty upset with myself for reading it.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    God, that looks like he just smoked one of the Husks from Mass Effect.
    Reading about AVellon's plans for KotOR3, they were exactly what I thought they would be almost a decade ago. I would have given one of my legs, at the time, to be able ot play that sequel.
    I guess that's a big part of why I'm sour on the Old Republic. What could have been, that story right there? It would have been my favorite Star Wars story of all time.
    Avellone's "True Sith" were scarier than the Reapers, on a conceptual level, before the Reapers even existed.
    You know what, I'm thinking about it and I'd gladly give one of your legs to be able to play KotOR3 today.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

As someone who hasn't played KOTOR2, should I read that article? I don't mind mild spoilers, but if it does the equivalent of spoiling the KOTOR1 thing I'd be mighty upset with myself for reading it.

There's no spoilers in there aside from pictures you have no context to.

You can also use this (better even)

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_–_The_Sith_Lords

C2B on
  • Options
    I actually started playing ToR again. Just for the story aspect, I have no desire to continue playing past the end. I'm a Sith Inquisitor and it's really not bad.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

One is the Lion King, the other is Hamlet. Similar, but different. KOTOR and KOTOR II tell different kinds of stories. KOTOR is a pure Hero's Journey redemption story. It's the purified and perfected essence of Star Wars. KOTOR II is deeper, richer, more complex story with brilliant ideas. It's one of the all-time great RPGs, but it aims for entirely different targets than KOTOR.

......I thought the Lion King was Hamlet, Simba is Hamlet while Timon and Pumba are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I played through KotOR and KotOR 2 again over the last week. I realized Handmaiden is a stupid character, easily turning hostile toward you. And also that male Exile is disproportionately more powerful than female Exile because Handmaiden can teach the male Exile how to add Wisdom modifier to Defense.

Well, unless you get the "female Exile can recruit Handmaiden" mod. Which is dumb anyway because Handmaiden is dumb. Also it conflicts with the restoration mod.

Anyway what I mostly wanted to post about was HK-47 and how he went from being subtly great to trying-too-hard great. The way his lines are read between the two games are like night and day. He's more cold, emotionless in the first game. It really helps with the impact of what he's saying, no matter what tone is behind it. In part 2 he's way more dramatic and human-like and it... really is kinda forced like, "I am supposed to be comedy relief!"

• Options
    Anyway who dislikes Handmaiden - or worse, prefers the Disciple to her - is my sworn enemy for life

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Anyway who dislikes Handmaiden - or worse, prefers the Disciple to her - is my sworn enemy for life

I just hate that they didn't write in male Exile telling Handmaiden to knock it off with her hate toward Visaas, especially if you work up the Influence to train Handmaiden to be a Jedi. "Make peace with her and your anger or you can space yourself." Maybe it's just her easily jealous nature I don't care for. I had to deal with someone like that once in my life and maybe I project it onto my video games.

• Options
    Man, they're all incredibly jealous with you. That's kind of the nature of who the Exile is, and the nature of the people he's working with

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I didn't know it was possible to dislike HK-47 in KotOR II. There's a great deal of philosophy in his personality that made him interesting to talk to, beyond just saying funny things about meatbags.

• Options
    Man, they're all incredibly jealous with you. That's kind of the nature of who the Exile is, and the nature of the people he's working with

I dunno about that. Atton and Handmaiden are the two aggressive ones, but with Atton it doesn't ruin his influence / relationship with the female Exile if you're pal'ing around with Disciple or anyone else. I mean there's scenes of Atton confronting the guy, but there's no gameplay implications for it. At the end of the day they're happy to be along for the journey.

Handmaiden though? "STOP TALKING TO HER I HATE YOU."

But I wanna train for that sweet Wisdom bonus. "GO AWAY."