As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Good Things...

Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
We've got a thread on beginnings.

Let's talk about endings. In my experience, many great games fall down at the ending. Only a handful manage to be great all the way through.

For example, System Shock 2...
Pretty much everything after the Body of the Many is disappointing. You've just crawled through the body of an all-consuming hive mind to stab its brain to death, fighting off a swarm of its mutated human servitors in the process. Now you have to face the insane, tyrannical AI which has used the experimental FTL engines of the Von Braun to attain literal godlike power...and you have to go up against three assassin robots, some flying particle things, and then shoot computers. I mean the prospect of going up against a SHODAN that is actually a god should have been a bit...more.

On the other hand, Deux Ex...
Had fantastic endings. Each one has its own moral ambiguities, came directly from themes present throughout the entire game, and were appropriate to the setting. You can sell out to the Illuminati, ultimately preserving the status quo of corrupt elites and oppressed underclasses. You can plunge the Earth into a new Dark Age, hoping a better world emerges. And then you can achieve the singularity, transcending human form and becoming something close to a god.

For some reason, I always take the "become a god" route in gaming.

So, let's talk about game endings. The best and the worst! Be sure to use spoilers!

Professor Phobos on

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Halo 2.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Halo 2.

I thought we were talking about games that had endings:lol:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mafia.

So poetic, so sad, yet so perfect. I think I'm going to shed a little tear just thinking about it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Halo 2.

I thought we were talking about games that had endings:lol:

We were.

In the same post you quoted I posted a lengthy description of it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved the ending to Ace Combat 4 the whole game is awesome from beginning to end

Sol on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Killer 7 had an awesome ending

Halo 2's ending was utter trash.

Chrono Cross's ending was amazing

most Castlevania endings are bad, but it doesn't matter because of how amazing the games are.

MGS1 2 and 3 all had amazing endings. yes, even 2 damnit.

Shadow of the Colossus ending was awesome.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Mafia.

So poetic, so sad, yet so perfect. I think I'm going to shed a little tear just thinking about it.

Man, I had that game years ago. I never got around to playing it all the way through- I think I got stuck on a race of some kind, then lent the discs out to a "friend" and lost track of them. Luckily I've still got a copy of Pi I never paid for, so I guess it evens out.

I should pick up a copy. I liked it a lot.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I really liked the ending of Grim Fandango. I just really liked everything about that game, but I felt that the ending -
    - was surprisingly bitter-sweet. I felt sad that I knew, from the beginning, that the game was going to end in four years. In four years, their quest would come to fruition, but the ambiguity of their version of the afterlife always scared me a bit. I didn't want Glottis to be alone, and I didn't want Meche and Manny to get split up. I would start thinking about the relatively lonely, solitary Christian heaven concept, where you didn't have any time with the people you'd come to love through your life, and I got sad.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ending to the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was pretty damn melancholy and moving for such a simplistic system. Twas pretty damn awesome.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Final Fantasy IX and Xenogears.
    Probably the most moving endings ever.
    (The closing songs in both helped a lot.)

Chrono Cross' had a nice moment.
    The shot of Kid in the future by the window.

Also, Lunar: Eternal Blue's. I guess those examples all follow a certain theme.
    I'm a sucker for relationship resolution. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Flow into the City

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    While we're on the subject, what makes for a good ending?

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The good ending of Shadow Hearts 2 almost brought me to tears.

On the other end of the spectrum, Bioshock:
    99.99% awsome, super lame final boss. I don't get it.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    While we're on the subject, what makes for a good ending?

Resolution, especially for an RPG.

After spending 40+ hours with a character it is nice to know what happens to them, good or bad.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    max payne, baby.

a great ending to a fantastic game.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Best: Baldur's Gate II:
    You ascend to Godhood, and as bonus points, its the god of fucking murder! Yeah, you can turn down the option if you're a wimp, but seriously. Also, slaughtering Irenicus at the end of SoA is so satisfying

Worst: FF7

This really doesn't deserve a spoiler. They throw some pretty CGI shit at you that makes no sense, and give you no real ending. I literally was dumbstruck. "I played through this awesome game and they don't even tell me what happens???"

Another good one, one of Fallout's.
    Fragging the overseer. Yeah, that was really, really satisfying.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Beyond Good and Evil: Oh come on Ubisoft!!!

Freedom Force Vs. The 3rd Riech: That was awsome, even though it was short as heck.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked the end of the Cold War.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Metroid Prime 3:
    What is that? Some sort of robot brain thing? Way to fuck up a perfect opportunity to use mother brain, guys. Oh, a thumbs up as you fly by? Awesome. Totally mid 90's.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Final Fantasy X:
    The music when Yuna tries to hug Tidus but falls right through is genius. I cried a little. Maybe a lot. What a great ending.

Bioshock's "evil" ending:
    WHAT A PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Skies of Arcadia loses points off its ending for me, only because
    they didn't keep the freaking Delphinus!

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Rogue TraderRogue Trader Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    The best ending I ever saw was too Final Fantasy VI. I've never been more satisfied with how a game ended.

I'm also surprised no one has yet mention the first Metroid. A 'surprise' ending but worked really well for me.

Rogue Trader on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fallout 2
    Male character
    no condom
    Lots o sex

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I particularly liked Max Payne 2's ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KShyQN3WtoY

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PoP Sands of Time had a really good ending, it brought the whole game full circle and tied it all up nicely. Then of course they made the sequels that shat all over the first game's ending, that was a shame.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's a sleeper of a game, but Darwinia had a surprisingly touching ending, really bringing out some emotion regarding the lives of the Darwinians and the cost of battles against the virus. The story of the game was told in a sparse manner (text, music, and clever in-game tableaux) but still managed to be motivating and fulfilling. It actually made you care about these little green virtual beings.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll echo Ace Combat 4. The whole game really builds up the fact that you, Mobius One, are making a difference on the battlefield, and really earn a name for yourself. The commentary from the other pilots really helps. Early on it's just all, "Who took that out? Mobius One eh?" Later on as you earn notoriety people start shouting "That ribbon insignia! Mobius One's here! We're saved!" and there's even the one mission where your side's forces are losing and the commander's trying to boost morale by saying "I don't care if it is a lie! Tell the troops Mobius One's arrived!"

The best part, though, is the ending. You're so badass they finally make a Mobius squadron. You're heading to the final battle, and hearing "Mobius 2 ready. Mobius Three through Seven ready" over the radio is awesome. But the absolute best part is the enemy chatter: "Which one's Mobius One? Which one has the ribbon?" "THEY ALL HAVE RIBBONS!" You can practically hear them shitting their pants.

Also, as far as RPGs go, Xenogears was really moving because not only did they actually resolve the game's plots, but as I was sitting there listening to the ending theme I started thinking back on everything that happened in the game, and I really felt a sense of accomplishment over how much the world, and the characters, changed over the course of the adventure. At the time it really blew every other RPG's ending out of the water, and is still really powerful to this day.

Another RPG that I personally loved but don't think got a whole lot of attention was Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter. It was beautiful in it's simplicity. The goal was to escape the underground world and reach the surface. And at the end, after all the crap you've been through, all the fights, you finally get to see the sun. So simple, but so worth it.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Planescape:Torment, if you get the best ending.
    TNO understands he is damned, and accepts his punishment.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Mafia.

Man, I had that game years ago. I never got around to playing it all the way through- I think I got stuck on a race of some kind, then lent the discs out to a "friend" and lost track of them. Luckily I've still got a copy of Pi I never paid for, so I guess it evens out.

I should pick up a copy. I liked it a lot.

How did this game slip under my radar? I love Scorcese' films this should've been a no brainer. Have to check this out.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Strange AttractorStrange Attractor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ico

Strange Attractor on
    Hi.
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Davoid wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 3:
    What is that? Some sort of robot brain thing? Way to fuck up a perfect opportunity to use mother brain, guys. Oh, a thumbs up as you fly by? Awesome. Totally mid 90's.
    I get that the AU unit was a bit of a letdown, but Mother Brain? How would that even work? How does Mother Brain, a one-of-a-kind monster that Samus had already destroyed, end up on Phaaze - a planet so far away from rest of the Metroid galaxy that they have to create a giant wormhole just to get there?

Also, the ending you get for 75% and above was kind of nice, I thought.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The first Fallout game had a famous ending - if your speech skill was high enough and you were a smooth talker, you could convince the final boss to commit suicide. Jade Empire pulled a 180 where the final boss can convince you to commit suicide....he makes a damn good argument, too.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    space channel 5 part 2 (jap version) for "best fucking universe screaming and cheering for you to win" ending

delphinus on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    this thread gets a thumbs up so far for video evidence of some endings, as well as naming the thread after a TNG episode.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My favorite ending is MGS 3. Anytime I even hear that damn Starsalior song I start to tear up

blakfeld on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Phantasy Star II has one of my favorite endings ever.
    The fate of your party is left completely ambiguous. It is possible that everyone dies. After individual shots of the characters the game ends with the line, "I wonder what the people will see in the final days."

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The end to the Thief trilogy was amazing, and I thought of it first because of the current thread on G&T.
    It ends the way it began, with a new apprentice.

*swipe... GRAB!*

"That's not for you." 8-)

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    blakfeld wrote: »
    My favorite ending is MGS 3. Anytime I even hear that damn Starsalior song I start to tear up

God, yes. That was fucking rough. I didn't realize I could qualify CG characters as actors before that game, but they were some good fucking actors.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Persona 3:
    This game had a very well done finale that keeps you guessing and makes you drool for the possibility that NA will get the expansion pack FES. If only.

Freespace 2:
    Big space fights? Check. Massive human-crushing beam-toting spider-looking superships? Check. Exploding sun? Check. Supernova destroying everything left in the system, including the battling ships on both sides? Check. EPIC FUCKING MONOLOGUE that changes if you survive or die in the last mission? Check.

Fucking epic.

Final Fantasy VI:
    One of the longest and most heartfelt endings ever. So beautiful.

I also want to second Final Fantasy X. The absolute last second
    HI5!
    was as special as it was cheesy.

Halo:
    The whole ending sequence with the Warthog was so perfectly done (even if the scale is just so wrong, the music was gorgeous, the game tied things up perfectly while leaving it open for more Halo, and you left satisfied. Plus, they showed you the other character that survived the explosion.

I'm sure I'm missing like 10 games, but that's all I can remember for now.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've never finished it, but I have every intention to on this playthrough. Can somebody give me an indication of how good Grandia 2's ending is?

Also, I love some of the endings in Tekken 3. Paul's ending was great, as was the Bruce Lee clone's.

Wonder_Hippie on