As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Good Things...

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember it being good. I enjoyed it far more than 1.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The first Fallout game had a famous ending - if your speech skill was high enough and you were a smooth talker, you could convince the final boss to commit suicide. Jade Empire pulled a 180 where the final boss can convince you to commit suicide....he makes a damn good argument, too.

Spoiler?

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the Link vs Ganon fight in Ocarina of Time.
    That shit was majestic.

Of course it was then ruined by a zero-challenge race down the tower, where Zelda was completely useless, despite being the same person as "elite fucking ninja mode" Sheik. That pissed me off.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I liked Earthbound's ending.

THE END
    ...?

Also all of Cave Story's endings.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I remember it being good. I enjoyed it far more than 1.

Awesome. I love this game, I hope it doesn't sour at the end like so many RPGs do for me.

I'm looking at you, FFX. It was like that one Dallas episode all over again.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Metal Gear Solid 2.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    kathos wrote: »
    I liked the end of the Cold War.

I sure didn't

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The final Warthog run in Halo and

bowsersmw2.jpg

/thread

bruin on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ending of Max Payne 2 made me sad, which says to me it's good, since it got to me.

The dark side ending to KOTOR was good, too. I have yet to see the light side ending.

I clearly remember how hellaciously difficult it was to get to the end of Kid Icarus, but I can't remember a thing about the ending.

I beat Dune 2 as the Harkkonens, and the ending for that was pretty good. Your troops storm the Emperor's throne room and confront him over the fact his Sardaukar were caught helping the Ordos and Atraedes, despite the Baron's arrangements. You basically end up taunting the Emperor and then waste him, taking the throne for House Harkonnen. It was a little shocking because it was such a wildly different ending than the book had.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ending to Bioshock was horrible.
    You turn your Xbox on hoping to see Ft. Frolic for the first time and then your Xbox gets the three red lights of death and sorrow.

What the hell were they thinking?

Anyway on the more serious side of things, KotOR 2 had a horrible, horrible ending. Everytime I think about all of the stuff that got cut out of that game I cry a little.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speaking of endings, I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem. The credits. It doesn't matter if the ending was great or a pile of shit. For some reason, I need the credits to follow. As sort of a way to ease off the story I just experienced, if that makes sense. Bioshock, after its end cinematic, just throws you right back to the title screen. And nothing pulls me out of a game and pisses me off more when they do that. "You win! *boot to the title screen*.

As far as good endings go, while it was never the most popular series, Xenosaga managed to wrap up all its loose ends and have a decent ending despite getting axed from the planned 6 games down to 3. One of the few "multiple games" that while getting canceled managed to at least get an ending.

For bad endings, the first Fire Emblem for the GBA. Great game, great ending, but it fails for no other reason than ending on a cliffhanger with zero chance of us ever getting its sequel. God damn you Nintendo.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ending of Max Payne 2 made me sad, which says to me it's good, since it got to me.

Made me sad too. So I beat the hardest difficulty and was not sad afterwards.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I think I was ten or eleven the first time I ever beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's one in the morning and my heart is pounding because I'm so goddamned nervous because if I fuck up I'm going to have to fight Metal Sonic again and he's hard and I have no rings and how many times do I have to hit this damn guy and this music is scary and ok this is eight and...

He started exploding. And then the Death Egg started exploding.

And then Sonic runs like a fucking madman and jumps out into space. Que cutscene. Music plays, and everyone looks up to see the giant flash in the sky. Is Sonic dead? Surely he couldn't have survived a fall like that. And then we cut to him falling, endlessly circling down, destined to hit the ground and die instantly, and then the music explodes in triumpth as Tails roars in on Sonic's plane and rescues him, and all of their woodland bird friends fly with them just long enough for Sonic to jump into the air and give a big fist up to the player:

sonic213dj5.gif

Seems cheesy as hell now, but when I was ten this shit was so intense and nerve wracking that the ending was the most relief I think I had felt in my entire life.

Einhander on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 3D GTA games tend to have pretty good "this is my town" endings, especially VC. Hitman: Blood Money is up there, Also echoing most of the other entries in the thread, especially Shadow Hearts and Shadow of the Colossus/Ico.

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is a textbook example of how not to to an ending. VtM: Bloodlines as well, almost (I can let it go, since most everything else was great). And considering how Crackdown had basically no story at all, it managed to have a surprisingly lame ending.
    "Haha! You're evil."

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Planescape:Torment, if you get the best ending.
    TNO understands he is damned, and accepts his punishment.
    And revives and bids farewell to all his companions

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ending to Ico is certainly the most a game ending has ever affected me.
    Reeling from the fate of Yorda. Parted for the first time since the start of the game. The beautiful song as the castle that was the entirety of the game's world collapses to rubble around you.

That shoreline is so alien and open compared to your incarcaration in stone, really brings home the feeling of escape.

The you realise you have control again and you run down the beach hardly daring to hope what you might find:
    Melons!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Made me sad too. So I beat the hardest difficulty and was not sad afterwards.

Ugh, I hated the alternate ending. How emotional the original ending was was what made it so good. The alternate ending just threw it all out.

Not that the original ending was all sad either. I thought it was a happy ending in its own way.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For good endings I have to go with Elite Beat Agents, because the entire final stage was so rock-awesome. I'll never underestimate glorified cheerleaders for the rest of my life.

As for bad endings I'll go with Final Fantasy Tactics. The whole game was intriguing and pulled me in, then the end got waaaay too weird, which seems typical for Japanese RPGs actually, which was really disappointing.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I think I was ten or eleven the first time I ever beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's one in the morning and my heart is pounding because I'm so goddamned nervous because if I fuck up I'm going to have to fight Metal Sonic again and he's hard and I have no rings and how many times do I have to hit this damn guy and this music is scary and ok this is eight and...

He started exploding. And then the Death Egg started exploding.

And then Sonic runs like a fucking madman and jumps out into space. Que cutscene. Music plays, and everyone looks up to see the giant flash in the sky. Is Sonic dead? Surely he couldn't have survived a fall like that. And then we cut to him falling, endlessly circling down, destined to hit the ground and die instantly, and then the music explodes in triumpth as Tails roars in on Sonic's plane and rescues him, and all of their woodland bird friends fly with them just long enough for Sonic to jump into the air and give a big fist up to the player:

sonic213dj5.gif

Seems cheesy as hell now, but when I was ten this shit was so intense and nerve wracking that the ending was the most relief I think I had felt in my entire life.

Very yes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJUNbris0I

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    GOOD ONES:

Final Fantasy Tactics, the epilogue
    Fuck you, Delita!

Final Fantasy 10
    I'm a big pussy. This isn't really a spoiler, I guess.

Breath of Fire 3
    Peco, who turns out to be Yggdrasil, plants himself in the desert. Kinda sad to me...
    The very end of this video has that part. See, I *AM* a big pussy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntUi10Y8mkI
    Oh, and of course Garr's fate.

Gradius 3, arcade difficulty
    I'm give up. Your appellation's technical monkey.
    I love Engrish.

Majora's Mask
    I like sad-ish endings, so the butler part fits the bill.

BAD ONES:

Another vote for Final Fantasy 7. Wow, guys.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    I am the motherfucking wind.

Monsty on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I like the ambiguity behind the last bit of the ending. You would have expected TNO to end up in some place like the Pillar of Skulls, but instead he is reincarned in the same form, more or less completely free. By accepting his punishment, did he transcend the need to have it enforced on him? Was he given a second chance for atonement?

jothki on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadow of the Colossus was really great.
    I just liked the interactivity of it. They let you control Wander as he's being sucked into that black hole of death. They let you hang on to the steps for as long as you can, futilely, until you are inevitably dragged into it. It was helpless yet awesomely well done.

Lux on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    nobody has mentioned the Wind Waker?
    Mother fucking sword in the face!

also, I loved the Ouendan ending.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    DemicoreDemicore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Planescape Torment has the best ending by far imho. Also, Grim Fandango. And somehow I'm always moved by the cinematics at the end of an Imperium Galactica 2 campaign.

Demicore on
    There's nothing I love more than male nipples in Starcraft, the two go together so well. - Tasteless
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I personally enjoyed the alternate ending you got when beating Max Payne 2 on the hardest setting.
    I thought Max deserved a break. The chances of Max and Mona lasting are fairly slim considering both of them are, well, messed up and used to running around shooting people. Still, after all the shit Max went through, come on people!

I thought Fallout1&2 and Baldur's Gate 2: ToB were interesting because they offered endings to people and/or places you'd visited.
    I couldn't accept the fact that Viconia gets snuffed. Minsc had a nifty ending, so did Edwin.

I thought the final level in Hitman: BM was well done.
    That silly git in the wheel chair had no ammo left once I caught up to him. There's something disturbingly satisfying about shooting a cripple ;P

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God of War 2 for not having an ending. Thanks guys!

KotOR2 for being obviously rushed. Thanks again!

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We Love Katamari - God that was a fun ending.

Deus Ex - Awesome Ending all the way.

Half Life - Timeeee to chooose Doct..or Free... man.

Oblivion - I thought I was close to finishing it so many times during the game and then ANOTHER epic scene happens.

Diablo 2 - Yeah, Fuck yeah that is how you do an ending.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - A spin out and full of crazy shit. Did not understand untill about the 3rd playthrough.

and Oh shit... Hitman Blood Money, fuck that was awesome.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Quest 64

Artereis on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Artereis wrote: »
    Quest 64

I remember really liking that game, despite it being pretty shitty. Maybe that was why.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I still look to the ending of Phantasy Star II as one of the best endings I've ever come across.

etoychest on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    PoP Sands of Time had a really good ending, it brought the whole game full circle and tied it all up nicely. Then of course they made the sequels that shat all over the first game's ending, that was a shame.

Have you played Two Thrones?

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Vagrant Story forever and ever and ever.

Coreo on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    PoP Sands of Time had a really good ending, it brought the whole game full circle and tied it all up nicely. Then of course they made the sequels that shat all over the first game's ending, that was a shame.

Yeah, and I really liked it and it's ending although it did feel a little like it was trying to ignore WW and be a sequel to SoT in the way the storyline was more a continuation of the SoT one than the WW one, or an alternate SoT of sorts. It did wrap up the trilogy nicely but I still think SoT was such a nice self contained storyline, and it had such a great conclusion.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Speaking of endings, I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem. The credits. It doesn't matter if the ending was great or a pile of shit. For some reason, I need the credits to follow. As sort of a way to ease off the story I just experienced, if that makes sense. Bioshock, after its end cinematic, just throws you right back to the title screen. And nothing pulls me out of a game and pisses me off more when they do that. "You win! *boot to the title screen*.

Yeah, it's odd how much of a difference that can make..

I'm sure Half-Life's ending wouldn't have felt so kickass if not for the prolonged credits and Track 24 (aka the credits' theme music). Credits reduce the abruptness of an ending, whether it's solid or otherwise.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Narian wrote: »

Yeah, and I really liked it and it's ending although it did feel a little like it was trying to ignore WW and be a sequel to SoT in the way the storyline was more a continuation of the SoT one than the WW one, or an alternate SoT of sorts. It did wrap up the trilogy nicely but I still think SoT was such a nice self contained storyline, and it had such a great conclusion.

Well WW was more of a side story about the Prince trying to stop the Dahaka, and a way to introduce the Dark Prince that was an important part of TT.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Starsiege

Cybrid ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9LfDIiiCU
    Human ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfOCaQqtULI
    Especially the Cybrid cutscene. Exploding robots, dead emperor, little kid waiting to die. Dismal and great. I wish more people had played this game.

Edit: HL1 was damn awesome as well. Great music.

Speaking of great credits music, TMNT3 for NES was fantastic.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    I like the ambiguity behind the last bit of the ending. You would have expected TNO to end up in some place like the Pillar of Skulls, but instead he is reincarned in the same form, more or less completely free. By accepting his punishment, did he transcend the need to have it enforced on him? Was he given a second chance for atonement?
    From the context and my understanding of the Planescape setting, his punishment is to become one of the multitude of tortured souls fighting in the Blood War between the Tanar'ri and the Baatezu. Being dead finally stuck, and he moves on to do his penance for all the evil he's wrought over millenia.

He's nothing more than a level 1 petitioner soul; little more than a lemure or manes and probably only special in that he has centuries of combat experience and magic locked somewhere in his head. If he does well fighting for his masters or the Blood War generals realize what they potentially have, he could be rewarded by advancement into the ranks of fiends. Or he could meet a more powerful being that's annoyed by something he did before, and meet final annihilation.

I played through the game twice. The first time I was Neutral Good and got the "best" ending. The second time, I played Chaotic Evil and just killed myself with the special knife. No cinematic, the game simply ends, just like you. Awesome.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Davoid wrote: »
    Metroid Prime 3:
    What is that? Some sort of robot brain thing? Way to fuck up a perfect opportunity to use mother brain, guys. Oh, a thumbs up as you fly by? Awesome. Totally mid 90's.
    I get that the AU unit was a bit of a letdown, but Mother Brain? How would that even work? How does Mother Brain, a one-of-a-kind monster that Samus had already destroyed, end up on Phaaze - a planet so far away from rest of the Metroid galaxy that they have to create a giant wormhole just to get there?

Also, the ending you get for 75% and above was kind of nice, I thought.
    I meant as in "fight a giant brain in a jar" type battle, not necessarily -the- mother brain, just a fight in the same vein. What was with the weird robot thing? They already established brains in giant jars, why not put one in there to blow up?

Yea, the 100% ending was interesting, sort of establishes a sequel.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Psychonauts was maybe the only game where I never thought one bad thing about it from beginning to end.

Ahtari on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    From the context and my understanding of the Planescape setting, his punishment is to become one of the multitude of tortured souls fighting in the Blood War between the Tanar'ri and the Baatezu. Being dead finally stuck, and he moves on to do his penance for all the evil he's wrought over millenia.

He's nothing more than a level 1 petitioner soul; little more than a lemure or manes and probably only special in that he has centuries of combat experience and magic locked somewhere in his head. If he does well fighting for his masters or the Blood War generals realize what they potentially have, he could be rewarded by advancement into the ranks of fiends. Or he could meet a more powerful being that's annoyed by something he did before, and meet final annihilation.

I played through the game twice. The first time I was Neutral Good and got the "best" ending. The second time, I played Chaotic Evil and just killed myself with the special knife. No cinematic, the game simply ends, just like you. Awesome.
    I'd agree with that interpretation.

Xagarath on