Options

[Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade] Founders packs are live

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You know, I kinda get what people mean when they say that the Tau don't really fit art wise into 40K due to looking too clean and a bit anime.

But damn they look so cool.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Zzulu wrote: »
    The best guns are the ones that are as big as you are
    m3110277a_99120113031_2013TauBroadside01_873x627.jpg

Yeah I really like the new Tau designs
    CMArD18.jpg

<3

Plus, they come with miniguns!
    tau1.jpg

You know, I kinda get what people mean when they say that the Tau don't really fit art wise into 40K due to looking too clean and a bit anime.

But damn they look so cool.
    They're supposed to look clean since they're the "new guys" on the galactic scene. The young race, the upstarts etc. While all the other factions have been slaughtering eachother for millennia the Tau are still kind of just taking their first stumbling steps into the madness that is 40K. I like that contrast to the other factions

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Tau only look clean when they're fresh recruits.
    wTj4Lgc.jpg

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Tau were straight up put in as a direct response to Anime being "hip" in nerdy communities a few years prior to their release, and GW trying very hard to capitalize on that.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I can't hear you over how BIG MY GUN IS

jbEW8Vap7RH24.jpg

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    Plus, they come with miniguns!

Plasma miniguns. Which makes it better.

Anyway. I think they chose Space marines, Chaos Marines, Orks and Eldar because...
    Well, the powerlevel of each individual soldier.

You can't have a 40k game without space marines (because the space marines fanboys would whine too much).
    With Eldar aspect warriors are frequently on-par with space marines.
    Chaos marines are obviously on-par with Space marines
    Orks have troops that are on par with space marines (Nobs, Bosses, Psykers as well as very veteran ork boyz). Besides, they'll have the unwashed masses of F2P players. And it's inherently fun to be an ork, even if you die in droves against paying players with much greater hitting power than you.
    Tau don't have something that's on par. They have stuff that's a lot more powerful (Battlesuits) or a lot less powerful (Tau infantry).
    IG have the same problem as tau, except worse.

Adding stuff like IG and Tau, even if you could make it work with F2Ps acting as general infantry, would still just dilute the power of the Ork horde. And I think the Ork horde is the most attractive concept of a Warhammer 40k Planetside-like game.
    Because everyone else gets to be heroes (or supervillains) facing off against numerically superior enemies and frequently prevailing when faced with 4-1 odds. And Orks get to be ORKS! They get to be the Horde, go Waaagh! against their enemies and leverage huge numbers against individually superior foes.
    Even their uncoordinated nature and frequent lack of skill will be orkish.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I really hope that, when they eventually add IG to this game, you play as an IG squad.

Like, you pick a rifle squad or whatever, and you just spawn with you under your own control and 4 AI allies who follow you around and shoot what you're shooting at.

• Options
    Eh, IG don't have something that lore wise matches up to a marine but they have more than enough vet units and bad asses to draw classes from that'd work from a game balance perspective.

I kinda agree that Tau pretty much have no 'elite' dudes that aren't in robots.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Man I love Riptides so much, but they aren't cheap :(

The only reason I haven't resurrected my old Tau army

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Wait

Is this RPG Planetside 40,000?

If it could have Tau/Tyranids/IG it'd be perfect. Kinda lame to chuck two marine factions at people.

what?

if they released this game without chaos marines it would be dead.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    I'd take Imperium/Chaos/Tau/Eldar. Not chuck Chaos out.

Two groups of space marines are still two groups of dudes that look very similar and are armed very similarly.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I really hope that, when they eventually add IG to this game, you play as an IG squad.

Like, you pick a rifle squad or whatever, and you just spawn with you under your own control and 4 AI allies who follow you around and shoot what you're shooting at.

Man, that has been my MP dream for a long time. I have an entire game cooked up in my head based around that very premise that ends up being the godlike love child of Brothers in Arms and Battlefield.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Reasons Tau are cool:

Their plasma guns don't explode when used.

And jet packs
    http://s209.photobucket.com/user/NotchedSpear/media-full//DynamicEntry.jpg.html

Edit: ugh, phone posting sucks for linking pictures...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Guess I got to be the one to say it... Tau.Suck.Balls. What kind of hippie rhetoric is "For the Greater Good" anyways.

jet packs? check
    22893_warhammer_40k.jpg

big guns? check
    155192_md-Conversion_Death_Deff_Dreadnought_Dred_Looted_Marine_Abuse_Orks.jpg

plasma? while certainly very flash, it doesnt meet minimum dakka requirements, question is invalid.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I don't know, gattling plasma sounds pretty dakka to me.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    plasma is pew, along with lasers. and its a fundamental law of the universe that pew /= dakka

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have not read up on Tau. Do they put the whole Tau in those robot bodies or just the brain or something?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I have not read up on Tau. Do they put the whole Tau in those robot bodies or just the brain or something?

They're battle suits

I think farsight has some buddies that are more machine than tau though

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They don't seem big enough.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    tau aren't terribly large.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Tau are fish aliens that have vaginas on their faces that were created to get Japanophiles buying into Warhammer army mans.

Also they're absurdly broken on the tabletop, currently.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Storm Troopers.

488W936.png
  • Options
    At high levels maybe. Level 1 would be a fire team with standard issue flashlights.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Tau technically aren't just one species, as unlike the other groups which basically act like goombas and destroy anything that isn't them the Tau will integrate your people into their society.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It's the Tau alliance, not the Tau species.

• Options
    My point still stands >.>

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Tau technically aren't just one species, as unlike the other groups which basically act like goombas and destroy anything that isn't them the Tau will integrate your people into their society.
    Ask them how well that went with the Tyranids. Or the Necron.

• Options
    Well those are some pretty big exceptions, though aren't the Necron no longer a race of terminators?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    "They're bros with the Blood Angels." - Matt Ward's stupid, fat mouth

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    My point still stands >.>

I... Uh... Wasn't refuting that.

• Options
    So what do the Tau look like who use the suits? They would have to fold up pretty small.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So what do the Tau look like who use the suits? They would have to fold up pretty small.

Battlesuit size chart

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok, now I am sure they couldn't fit in there.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Fairly certain Tau pilots don't just fill the chest compartments like Dreadnaughts. They actually shift their limbs and stuff as part of the mental connection.

The same one that gives some pretty terrifying trauma if their suit loses a limb during battle.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Aren't the battlesuit pilots a different caste that's smaller than the ones that form fire teams?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Aren't the battlesuit pilots a different caste that's smaller than the ones that form fire teams?

Nope, Fire Warriors who pass a specific trial get a battlesuit.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Nope, Fire Warriors who pass a specific trial get a battlesuit.

The trial of squeezing oneself into a tiny area without freaking the hell out due to claustrophobia.

• Options
    Not so much the claustrophobia as the dislocation or amputation of their legs.

• Options
    The legs go where the battlesuits legs are on the smaller suits.

The things aren't vehicles with a pilot, they're just really huge and advanced suits of armour.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Not so much the claustrophobia as the dislocation or amputation of their legs.

Still better than what space marines go through.