As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On!]Android: Netrunner - Come learn how to sprint some webs!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Daemonis wrote: »
    Farangu wrote: »
    The game really changed when Daemonis was forced to discard Yog.0. If he had had that, the game would have gone very differently, as Bedlam had an agenda or two in his hand for the majority of the game.
    Did he have agendas in the archives?
    The first card that went into the archives was a snare. And I couldn't pop that from archives anyway so you were safe if you ran it. Don't remember if you put any other cards there.

You were hard to pin down. When we started you ran so much that I was sure you were going to faceplant and kill yourself. Then you started getting stuff out and I was sure I was doomed.

If didn't focus on R&D so much and ran either HQ or my remote server then you would have won for sure.

The remote server was only a trap once. It was Nisei then junebug then the PR. I was super nervous to actual try and score agendas since I could never seem to keep you out.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    As far as the game in general is its very interesting.

I was frustrated with the way credits worked. If you are taking clicks for them then those are clicks that you are not using to do something useful. I felt bottlenecked after the initial few money cards ran out.

Also playing as corp theres no way to attack which is weird. You pretty much have to set up honey traps and hope for the best.

The clicks themselves are a neat way to do things as I don't think Ive played too many games with action points. Being able to draw cards and get credits is nice even if there are better ways of doing that.

Biggest hurdle for me to actually spend money on this is what its going to be for any game. Trying to find people to play is a pain. And an LCG is going to rely on a changing meta game to be interesting. So if you aren't playing you aren't needed new cards.

Anyway thanks for running Farangu! It was fun. Im sorry if things dragged out because of me. (seems like we played for a long time but IDK)

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    The second card that was trashed (I didn't bother to show it because the game was going to end that round either way) was a Wall of Thorns. No agendas were trashed, although the very next card after the ones Daemonis just saw was an Agenda.

As far as your defensive stance, this is true in the core set(with the exception of Scorched Earth), but there are more cards that are not ICE introduced via the data packs that will actually allow you to either deal damage to or trash installed equipment. However, they always require some investment other than money(winning a trace, having the runner being tagged, advancing the card enough), so the Corp still has to play a mostly defensive game.

Core set Jinteki having a lack of credits is a really pronounced issue, and why they are the hardest to learn. And, of course, you were going to get a good amount of economy cards over the next couple of turns. But yes, it is always kind of frustrating when you have to take credits for clicks, although at least you have the option and it's not just "Well, I have no credits so my turn is done". The other facet in that is the Runner making the Corp decide to rez ICE is their primary way (at least at first) of keeping the Corp poor. A very large part of strategy in this game is deciding whether or not a piece of ICE is effective enough to make you spend anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 of your money when they decide to run it.

I'm still glad you had fun. But these grievances you have make me consider making "improved" starter decks so that new folks have a better appreciation for what a decently constructed deck is capable of.

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    yeah, pretty fun game. Trying to install Octgn right now :)

That's the other part of it. I'd love to gradually bring in cards from data packs and show some of the new tools this game has gotten over the last year, but at that point it'd just be much more efficient to install OCTGN and deckbuild for yourself.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    For the record, that is the first Corp win in this thread, too!

Seems like neither of them are interested right now. Next on the list... @caliber and @kuhlmeye, interested in playing still?

If you are, please list:

Which preferred faction you would be for both sides

Have you played before

Would you like to do a modified version of deckbuilding, or keep to the starter decks

• TrustTrust Registered User regular
    In case caliber and kuhlmeye don't get back to you, I'm still in :)

We Stand Ready
  • calibercaliber Registered User regular
    I'm still about and ready to interface with some gibsons! (Am I getting the terminology right? ;))

I've never played although I've been following the thread/interested in the game for some time. The deckbuilding aspect is one piece that has largely kept me away from buying it in meatspace though, sadly. I'm game for whatevs though, so I'll opt for deckbuilding if my opponent wishes to do so as well.

Since the letter of the day is 'N', I think Noise and NBN would be my faction cards of choice.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I'm still down, if it's not too late.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    You're fine, Mikey. Who would you prefer to be/how new are you to it/any kind of deckbuilding?

edited February 2014
    I've built a few decks and played a few games. I'm trying to rope some friends into regular players.

I think I would like NBN Making News as Corp or Anarch Noise as Runner. A little bit of building. Core set only.

Mikey CTS on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    I see that Mikey is back. I'll go ahead and put my preferences in here though.

Never played, would probably skip deckbuilding.

Weyland and Santiago.

PSN: the-K-flash
    Well you guys both want to play the same factions, so:

Geth, roll 1d1000 for caliber
    Geth, roll 1d1000 for Mikey

caliber:
    1d1000 801 [1d1000=801]
    Mikey:
    1d1000 7 [1d1000=7]

7? That is...aggressively low.

@Caliber, please choose which side you'd rather be. I'll be sending out the deck building options shortly.

Corps are 1-2 in this thread right? I like those odds!

NBN is on the air and coming to you loud and clear!

It came to mind that the newer folks reading might not know how deckbuilding works in Netrunner. It's quite simple, really. First, look at the identity cards on the first page (NBN is shown below for quick reference).

pic1388751.png

Notice the two numbers in the lower left corner? Those are what you use for deckbuilding. The top number (45, in this case) is the minimum number of cards your deck has to have. The bottom number (15) is how much out of faction influence you can have. Here's how influence works:

Let's say that caliber, when building his deck, decides he wants more economy in there(which is never a bad idea, BTW). He really liked how the Adonis campaigns of HB worked.

adonis-campaign-core.png

See the little dots in the lower left corner? That is that card's influence cost. So one copy of Adonis costs 2 influence to put in any non-HB deck, which would leave caliber 13 influence left to spend however he pleases.

The other big rules:

No more than 3 copies of any card in a deck.
    When building a Corp deck, you are required to have a certain number of Agenda Points in it. At the Core Set minimum of 45 cards, a Corp deck is required to have either 20 or 21 Agenda Points in it. These points can be split between however many(or few) cards the Corp desires. However, for every 5 cards over that minimum, the Points requirement goes up by 2. So if caliber's deck goes up to 50 cards, he will then need 22 or 23 points of Agendas. This is impossible to do in the Core Set since you cannot use Agendas that belong to a different faction. So, the largest a Corp deck can be in the Core Set is 49 cards.

Ok, the decks for both players are constructed. Sending out opening hands now. Please state in thread whether you wish to take a mulligan or not.

I'm gonna run your nets so hard.

I believe that means he's not taking a mulligan.

• sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    General rule of thumb for deck building when considering how many cards to include:

For the Runner - Building a deck is pretty standard in this regard...try to keep to the absolute minimum deck size since you rarely get a mandatory draw, and it's pretty important to find what you need quickly. I also tend to run more copies of cards if I am relying on card draw, and less if I have access to search cards for those tools (ex: less copies of each icebreaker if I am running Special Order).

For the Corp - People tend to go for the high end of deck size relative to agenda points without going over the threshold (usually 49). This lets you include more tools to keep the runner out (or more economy), but more importantly it should make the runner less likely to access an agenda from HQ or R&D due to card dilution. It also keeps deck bloat down so it isn't too hard to find what you need with your mandatory draw each turn (49 is very manageable, 54 not as much but your mileage may vary).

sartori on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    That was a great game! Really impressed to see Jinteki take the win; one of the hardest to learn and in many ways the weakest of the core deck (though a Victor 1.0 was splashed in).

Great plays all around!

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Is there any chance to get back into waiting list and try to play from a corp?

Sure, I'll throw you on the end of the list.

That's a tempting opening hand, but I think I'll mulligan.

Sorry to interrupt your scheduled show, we're just having some technical difficulty. We'll be right back after these messages!

@Farangu

Man, this program sucks. But I guess I'll see what's on next.

If it's awful, I'll crack their servers and make them play Beavis and Butthead for the next 24 hours.

I won't mulligan @Farangu

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Roleplaying! I is happy now!

As am I.

Caliber's re-deal will have to wait until this afternoon, unfortunately.

Ok, sent the mulligan to @caliber, and also his mandatory draw. He has 3 clicks and 5 credits to start.

The big thing now that deckbuilding is in play:

Try and keep track of what your opponent has spent influence on as you see it, and try to spot any patterns. Are they focusing on a particular style or type of card? How much influence have you not seen yet?

edited February 2014
    I heard NBN has some corporate ties with those scary Weyland dudes. You hear about what happened to Frank when he tried to just get a peek at their ICE? They carpet bombed his entire city block. Then they salted the ashes that used to Frank's house. I'll have to be careful about letting them trace me back and get a fix on this location.

Mikey CTS on
    Ok, first turn, no pressure. Just setting the tone for the rest of the game ...

Click 1: Research another card

@Farangu

edited February 2014
    Click 2: anonymous-tip-core.png

Did you know some studies suggest anarchist hacker terrorists can possibly break into your computer and control your mind? Stay tuned, we'll be telling you the 1 secret that might stop them tonight!

@Farangu

caliber on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    This is going to be gold, I just know it.

• sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    Wonder if they claim to be non-spin, fair, and balanced while not letting their interviewed guests get a word in?

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    You know there's a limit on your handsize? It's 5.

Jutranjo wrote: »
    You know there's a limit on your handsize? It's 5.

Handsize limits?!? Sounds like political spin from our political opponents!

Click 3: Install ICE above HQ, discard down to 5.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    All in the name of keeping you fair and balanced.

Looks like it is a go for @Mikey CTS

edited February 2014
    The Andy fucking Griffith Show?! Oh Imma burn this network to the ground.

@caliber Click 1 run HQ. Do you rez your ICE?

Mikey CTS on