Options

[Doctor Who] Calling it now, River Song is Mrs. Claus

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Only Human way more than I was expecting. Have you read Stephen Baxter or Alastair Reynolds' Doctor Who novels? Reynolds' in particular was fantastic, capturing the Third Doctor/Delgado Master relationship brilliantly.

• Options
    Disclaimer: I'm a pretty big Alastair Reynolds fanboy.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Well this just came right outta left field!
    God, the one time they actually should listen to the BBC suits, and...

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I enjoyed Only Human way more than I was expecting. Have you read Stephen Baxter or Alastair Reynolds' Doctor Who novels? Reynolds' in particular was fantastic, capturing the Third Doctor/Delgado Master relationship brilliantly.

I've just started the Reynolds one. I'd like to read Ten Little Aliens (the First Doctor novel in the 50th Anniversary series) but the stores never have it in stock.

• Options
    I haven't read it yet, but I do have it (I grabbed all eleven as e-books, so they're sitting on my hard drive). I thought the Remembrance of the Daleks novelisation was particularly good. Definitely one of the best classic series novelisations.

Shada's novelisation was also good. I think City of Death is coming out in the next few months.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I'm just imagining Nicholas Cage doing the scene in Dalek where 9 first meets the caged dalek.

It would have been better than even "not the bees"

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    ...Polo(ssibly)
    Restoration Team head honcho and video expert Steve Roberts has stated his belief that Marco Polo has been found by Phil Morris.

When you actually read the article he is about as far from certain as possible, but it's still encouraging to hear.

• Options
    Yeah, the way he's talking there gives me almost zero hope. It's essentially an article written about a gut feeling, which happens a lot, but still...

I would give a little of my right thigh to be able to watch even one episode of Marco Polo, though.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wait, so what's this about novelizations?

I thought all the classic stories had been novelized. Is that not the case, and the gaps are being filled in? Or are the novelizations being reprinted (that would be nice, I was quite fond of my Dinosaur Invasion and Terror of the Zygons paperbacks)? Or is it something else entirely?

• Options
    Some were reprinted in the past couple of years (and released as ebooks), but due to scriptwriters not giving permission, there's a handful of serials Target never novelised. In the end, only a few of Douglas Adams and Eric Saward's serials, like City of Death and Revelation of the Daleks, that never got novelised.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    So I am watching doctor who got the first time and I'm on the first episode of season three or the Christmas episode I guess and man

Donna is the worst. Like

Really

The worst.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    She comes back later and is way better

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Honestly, skip that Christmas episode. The Donna that comes back later is almost a different character. She's my favourite companion and I can't fucking stand Catherine Tate in anything else.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    So I am watching doctor who got the first time and I'm on the first episode of season three or the Christmas episode I guess and man

Donna is the worst. Like

Really

The worst.
    I don't like Catherine Tate much, but I think people are too harsh on her for that episode. Under the circumstances, it's reasonable for her to be a little upset! But yeah, she calms down when she comes back, and the episode quality is a lot more consistent.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Personally, I'd kind of recommend against skipping that particular Christmas episode because of

(kind of a spoiler)
    the fact that it's referenced in a semi-important later episode that won't really mean as much if you hadn't seen it.

• Options
    That is good to hear!

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Honestly, skip that Christmas episode. The Donna that comes back later is almost a different character. She's my favourite companion and I can't fucking stand Catherine Tate in anything else.
    But you can't skip that episode, the spider queen is the best acting OF ALL TIME!

• Options
    Honestly, by the end of the Christmas special, Donna gets pretty close to the character she eventually becomes.
    Her stopping the Doctor from flooding the Thames is still one of my favorite Donna moments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    But you can't skip that episode, the spider queen is the best acting OF ALL TIME!

Yeah man that episode was pretty fucking dire. I would take Olympics episode over it.

• Options
    Yeah man that episode was pretty fucking dire. I would take Olympics episode over it.
    Dear God no. Fear Her is the worst episode of New Who by far, and nothing will ever surpass it.

• Options

you are crazy

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I didn't mind Fear Her nearly as much as The Unicorn and the Wasp

• Options
    Now that's just mean. Unicorn and the Wasp was a pointless filler episode, but I enjoyed it. It was certainly a lot more entertaining than other filler episodes like Idiot's Lantern, Lazarus Experiment, or 42.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I look back at some of those episodes and I wonder how I got anyone else into that show

• Options
    Now that's just mean. Unicorn and the Wasp was a pointless filler episode, but I enjoyed it. It was certainly a lot more entertaining than other filler episodes like Idiot's Lantern, Lazarus Experiment, or 42.

I would take any of those episodes to Unicorn and the Wasp

I mean Fear Her wasn't good, but it had stuff I liked, like the gag with the TARDIS between the two shipping containers

But I literally can't remember a thing I liked in Unicorn and the Wasp

• Options
    To this day I have yet to actually see The Unicorn and The Wasp

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Dear God no. Fear Her is the worst episode of New Who by far, and nothing will ever surpass it.

You saw the episode with the absorby monster thing, right? I mean, it's possible you've just willed yourself to forget it, because wow. That fuckin' episode.

Also Donna is forever the best companion. It's kinda sad that Davies finally figured out how to run a subtle season arc just in time to leave the show.

• Options

It's probably my least favorite episode of New Who, bar none

But clearly I'm in the minority with that opinion, so it might be worth giving a shot!

• Options
    Love and Monsters at least had... uh... a bunch of ELO?

That's something, right

• Options
    I liked that Love and Monsters had a kind of fun perspective on the Doctor

I mean obviously everything about the stupid absorbing monster was awful, but the parts with LINDA leading up to it were a lot of fun

• Options
    Narbus wrote: »
    You saw the episode with the absorby monster thing, right? I mean, it's possible you've just willed yourself to forget it, because wow. That fuckin' episode.
    I actually couldn't bring myself to watch all of Love and Monsters (I watched Fear Her with my sister before I was really into the show), but that was an interesting premise with really, really poor execution. There is nothing redeeming about Fear Her, and I fucking hate the Olympics. But if you hate it more because of the WTF is wrong with you RTD elements, that's fair.
    I wouldn't really recommend it, but I found the jokes funny enough, and the stupid parts were presented in a way that didn't make me really angry, which is a lot more than I can say for some other episodes.

• Options
    Love and monsters was great.

• Options
    Marc warren is right up there on my list of most hated actors too

• Options
    Who else is on that list Tube

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    .......fuck it.

POLO!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Who else is on that list Tube

Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana, and Zooey deschanel

• Options
    what's your beef with Saldana

• Options
    She's a terrible actress who could ruin a movie by watching it.

• Options
    It turns out I had her confused with Thandie Newton. Feel free to punch me in the face.

This discussion has been closed.