As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb 2000

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    kojima games will never be art

to some people (like me) some of them already are. I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. And I refuse to believe that liking Kojima's work makes me a misogynist, or means I condone rape, which I feel is something that is being heavily implied in this thread. Like, no-one's actually saying that, but even just reading the thread without (until now) entering the conversation, I feel like I'm being tarred with a 'Bad and terrible person' brush for liking media that contain scenes of (but do not consist entirely or even mostly) terrible people doing awful things to underserving people.

I tried to look up pictures of projectors, but I didn't know if anyone still remembers what those are

Anyway, you're projecting

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

to some people (like me) some of them already are. I don't know much about art, but I know what I like. And I refuse to believe that liking Kojima's work makes me a misogynist, or means I condone rape, which I feel is something that is being heavily implied in this thread. Like, no-one's actually saying that, but even just reading the thread without (until now) entering the conversation, I feel like I'm being tarred with a 'Bad and terrible person' brush for liking media that contain scenes of (but do not consist entirely or even mostly) terrible people doing awful things to underserving people.

it's not about you

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Commercial success is always more important than artistic integrity in games. Every game that has bad gameplay and a good artistic message shouldn't have been a game

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I tried to look up pictures of projectors, but I didn't know if anyone still remembers what those are

Anyway, you're projecting

Use the overhead projector

Circle the part where anyone ever said anything about looking down on people who like Metal Gear

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I would like to point out, at this juncture, that BAFTA have awards for the games industry. That's the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
    So in Britain, at least, Video Games are Art.

Shit, let me have this, it's one of the few things my country does right.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

We discussed this yesterday

I'm still buying the game on Tuesday, and I'm mostly still excited to play it

But unless it turns out all this info is just straight-up wrong there's really no defending that aspect of the game

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the other parts of it but still conceding that "yeah this part is FUCKED" and I don't think anyone at the very least SHOULD, I'm not going to say they WON'T, think less of someone for it

At no point did anyone bring up that liking Kojima games makes you a misogynist, nor does buying Ground Zeroes condone rape, and nobody here has even implied that

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My main memory of MGS2 was spending like three hours trying to kill a helicopter with a rocket launcher, finally doing it, and then slipping on some bird shit and falling to my death

A R T

• Options
    No dammit don't use permanent marker uuuugh

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My main memory of MGS2 was spending like three hours trying to kill a helicopter with a rocket launcher, finally doing it, and then slipping on some bird shit and falling to my death

A R T

It's a commentary on war.

Shits deep.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

A R T

It's a commentary on war.

Shits deep.

And slippery

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    Commercial success is always more important than artistic integrity in games. Every game that has bad gameplay and a good artistic message shouldn't have been a game

what are you doing

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Liking stuff that has horrid scenes isn't the problem

Justifying the horrid scenes is. Brushing the horrid scenes off like it's nothing is. Saying "maybe there's a reason for it" is. Constantly giving the benefit of the doubt just because you happen to like the series and couldn't imagine something like this being done unironically or without purpose is.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    everything is art

art can be bad

stop being insecure about art, nerds

LW8Czw4.jpg

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I personally don't need my media to moralise at me, so games that try and do the "yo are you having fun doing this terrible thing YOU MONSTER" get an eye-roll at best, and more likely completely avoided, because duh, I internalised that point when I was like 12. A game, for me, needs to do something interesting and meaningful with the material, and it needs to have fun gameplay.

The audiolog being talked about is literally only worth a damn if the character is not in fact dead and shows up in MGSV, because otherwise it's a load of garbage that could have been cut completely, and the male character's trauma developed some other way.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    games are

Nick-searcy.jpg

games are

art-garfunkel.jpg
    uh oh i used up all the people named art i could think of

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

We discussed this yesterday

I'm still buying the game on Tuesday, and I'm mostly still excited to play it

But unless it turns out all this info is just straight-up wrong there's really no defending that aspect of the game

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the other parts of it but still conceding that "yeah this part is FUCKED" and I don't think anyone at the very least SHOULD, I'm not going to say they WON'T, think less of someone for it

Yeah, I'm not saying that certain parts of that game are not fucked up. I think it's an entirely personal thing what media people decide to expose themselves to, I've just begun to resent the overwhelming sense of judgement I'm feelin from my favourite thread on the forum. I was following the conversation last night, so sorry if I'm repeating stuff.

If anything, I'm beginning to worry that there's something wrong with me in that I don't feel the same outrage as other people.

A R T

It's a perfect comment on how birdshit can ruin even the best of days, after your grandest achievments. It's a fatalistic masterpiece.

Why yes, I am being sarcastic.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Can't spell fart without art

everything is fart

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    games are

Nick-searcy.jpg

games are

art-garfunkel.jpg
    uh oh i used up all the people named art i could think of

7rOQqOk.jpg

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    everything is art

art can be bad

stop being insecure about art, nerds

LW8Czw4.jpg

You really have to stop posting pictures of me without consulting me beforehand

• Options
    Can't spell fart without art

everything is fart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQCCSvYfIc

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I like Diablo 3 because the loot is so sweet and using mysticism to punch dudes as my monk is really fun.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    It's a pretty effective way of sending across the message "no war isn't supposed to be fun, stop enjoying yourself"

"But please give us sixty dollars, and here are some achievements to unlock!

But war is bad for realsies, guys, I'm serious.

And check out New Game+ for hidden content!"

How do you make something that can't be forgiven by the fact that it's in an entertaining video game

you can't have it both ways.

Spec Ops gets a lot of deserved shit for being ham handed, but it was at least committed to its thesis in every aspect of the game. It was not trying to be a fun game and hook you with some collectibles or really do anything else other than be a generic third person slog and then talk (poorly) about what it means to play a shooter.

You can't go hey you know what, war is terrible, now watch me stealth kill this guy from a horse

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    are nice chess boards art?

I dig a nice chess board.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    are nice chess boards art?

I dig a nice chess board.

Absolutely

I'd love to have a super nice marble chess board

I had a crazy nice ceramic one but too many of the pieces broke in a move

• Options
    StarTrekChess.jpg

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Everything we produce is art.

Art has no qualitative threshhold it has to be passed in order to be art. Most art, from a single perspective, is pretty lousy.

Metal Gear is art. Is is often very, very bad art.

There is nothing wrong with having horrible, horrible shit in your art. There are works which use them as lynchpins of characters or even the entirety of works in and of themselves. Some great writers can make this shit work. Some writers can't, because they are poo biscuits, or otherwise incapable.

Kojima misses way, way more often than he hits. I'm not anticipating the handling of this stuff in Ground Zeroes to be good (a separate issue from it being tasteful, which is difficult to apply to the issues being talked about here). It might be, but I don't expect that it will. He has always been a better designer than writer.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of Metal Gear having
    any rape whatsoever, much less a minor being forced into committing the act rape at gunpoint, which is itself rape by any reasonable definition, as if Kojima was trying to come up with the most traumatic scenario possible for Chico, acting as both survivor and aggressor, and then frame it in such a way that it takes away from the relentless horror of what's being done to Paz
    because it flies in the face of my understanding of the series. The subject matter is repugnant, and while that is not an inherently evil thing it really makes me wonder why Kojima feels this is the direction the series needs to go in. But, again: I do not think he is a good writer, save by rare accident.

I do not stand in judgment of anyone who gives him the benefit of the doubt because they think he's a good writer, regardless of how much I disagree with them.

It's good to be offended by this stuff and it's good to talk about it and maybe it's even good to be angry about it

But I don't think it's at a point, yet, where we ought to be angry at each other

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Star Trek is art.

Spock is art.

McCoy is not.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The answer is none

None more art

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    thing is I think hotline Miami is a better game than spec ops with regards to a message about murder. I don't like either game (I really just can't play hm because of the effects making me motion sick and I don't think the message is good enough to make myself actually vomit.) but I do think that you can make a game enjoyable on some level while also making the player feel bad or at least question themselves.

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

But I don't think it's at a point, yet, where we ought to be angry at each other

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEaNkZbJnE

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I actually think this is important

It's one of the only ways we're going to be able to change each other's minds for the better

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Hullis wrote: »

This scene is definitely art

People point to this as everything DmC got wrong

I say it's the symbol of everything DmC did right

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    It's a pretty effective way of sending across the message "no war isn't supposed to be fun, stop enjoying yourself"

How do you make something that can't be forgiven by the fact that it's in an entertaining video game

Spec Ops gets a lot of deserved shit for being ham handed, but it was at least committed to its thesis in every aspect of the game. It was not trying to be a fun game and hook you with some collectibles or really do anything else other than be a generic third person slog and then talk (poorly) about what it means to play a shooter.

You can't go hey you know what, war is terrible, now watch me stealth kill this guy from a horse

Why?

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »

This scene is definitely art

People point to this as everything DmC got wrong

I say it's the symbol of everything DmC did right

see also: pizza dong

• Options
    Star Trek is art.

Spock is art.

McCoy is not.
    Bones is an artist. there is s difference.

• Options
    DMC is a very very good video game that I will be very sad if it never gets a sequel

• Options
    Chincy I have bad news

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »

Why?

Because it subverts your message

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Art is just a construct created by humanity to convince itself it's own existence isn't meaningless.

Farts are very real.

This discussion has been closed.