Options

Giant Bomb 2000

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    boss mechanics in ff14

except for titan, titan can suck it

The key to every boss fight in FF14 is to be playing a Bard.

Unfortunately this has the undesired effect of making it hard to find groups because everyone is a Bard.

Some people have trouble maiming as a warrior because they don't want to do content for this first time as such a critical role and burden the damage dealers

but I've seen some real egregious shit from those camps in the past so they can deal with it

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it really feels like it's trying really hard to be dishonored but while i haven't played that game, it looks superior in roughly every aspect

there's a gramophone for no reason in one of the rooms, it's really hard to tell what the game's setting is, if it's anachronistic, or what's going on

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Thankfully, the original thief collection should be pretty cheap on steam if you want some good stealth action

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    let me count the ways that thief is bad

it's ugly as sin, the faces look like they belong in a ps2 game, the environment is not pleasant to look at

the controls are not extremely intuitive

the plot is dreadful and it is also extremely in your face but it at least has skippable cutscenes

the guard ai is extremely dumb

the combat plays terribly

the game is also laughably easy

if you're hankering for a stealth game just go play mark of the ninja or gunpoint or something, but it is not a good game

Aw that sucks.

That's like 2 games in my buy list killed off in the same day.

• Options
    whippy redboxed it and gave up after the first chapter

i think i beat chapter two and then went into three and stopped caring when i died

apparently one of her old coworkers at a gameshop had five copies of thief returned within two days of release, one same day

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    thief is abysmal

Aw, dangit.

I was hoping it would at least be average. Then I'd just wait for it to go on deep discount during a Steam sale.

Apparently it is just worse than Dishonored in every single way.

Which I guess is I game I should get around to playing eventually.

You should! Especially with the sequel probably being announced soonish!

It's a game that ended up not being quite as great as I had hoped, but still really good. There's a lot of freedom to how you can do things and a lot (a lot) of interesting lore. They've put a lot of work into their world, even if the location of the game itself is just Not-London

If I had to compare it to any game, it would be Assassin's Creed 1. Full of a lot of really good ideas with some not-so-great execution here and there, but worthwhile enough to experience, and (fingers crossed) with a sequel that took everything fun about the first game and turned it up to 11.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    boss mechanics in ff14

Unfortunately this has the undesired effect of making it hard to find groups because everyone is a Bard.

I did garuda ex twice tonight. 7 bards across 2 parties. I got to use the healer limit break!

titan hard is like kiddie mode compared to titan extreme. I don't think I can properly explain the fight in a post. basically take everything about titan hard mode and multiply it by five. as in landslide now goes off in five different directions. also bombs cover the entire area and you have to time landslides to go over the set of bombs that detonates earlier than another set, and adds spawn, and plumes come in sets of two not one..

Jars on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    We talkin' best boss music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDUaJTl1hZc

Listening to this for the first time was amazing.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    boss mechanics in ff14

I did garuda ex twice tonight. 7 bards across 2 parties. I got to use the healer limit break!

titan hard is like kiddie mode compared to titan extreme. I don't think I can properly explain the fight in a post. basically take everything about titan hard mode and multiply it by five. as in landslide now goes off in five different directions. also bombs cover the entire area and you have to time landslides to go over the set of bombs that detonates earlier than another set, and adds spawn, and plumes come in sets of two not one..

So...

Don't stand in the fire.

Got it.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    You know, I think I'd really dig a side-scroller Thief game.

Pretty much like Mark of the Ninja, except with more emphasis on gameplay mechanics based around breaking into places and looting.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The best Thief game is when someone pisses me off in Skyrim and I kill them and loot everything in their house

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Man I missed the FFVII chat.

FFVII is a really fantastic game and a lot of people have forgotten a lot of nuances in the characters and story thanks to they way Square has decided to portray those very same characters in other media. Cloud is a mopey sadsack in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts, etc when he was barely like that in the game. He was a really messed up and confused individual but ultimately pretty happy and upbeat. They threw all that away because they wanted to make Cloud sad about Aeris some more despite the fact that he had dealt with that issue.

Tifa is another confused character. She's confused because Cloud is a friend of hers, and he's telling her things she doesn't remember. She questions herself because of it. Ultimately she's a very strong person who learned to fight for herself because she wanted to help protect others. It's less cliche than I'm making it sound but I'm trying to keep it concise.

Aeris is kind of the opposite of how she's portrayed in other media. She's not really some sweet innocent princess. She's flirty and fun and likes to make stupid jokes. I did an LP of FFVII on this forum and I mistakenly called her a Mary Sue but it's not really true. She's a pretty well fleshed out character who isn't there just to get with the main hero or be protected. In fact she goes off on her own quite often if she thinks it'll help others while knowing it'll be dangerous. Hell she even sold flowers in a slum.

I'm shit at explaining this stuff. A guy on SomethingAwful is running a really good screenshot LP of the game where he's very descriptive in pointing out things even I have missed over the many years of playing the game. Not saying read it to be convinced it's a good game. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's a good way to remember that it's not just a game about how angry Cloud is at Sephiroth.

Adus on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    while we are talking about ff14 this is the newest mount they are introducing

JP20140310_2.jpg

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Adus wrote: »

FFVII is a really fantastic game and a lot of people have forgotten a lot of nuances in the characters and story thanks to they way Square has decided to portray those very same characters in other media. Cloud is a mopey sadsack in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts, etc when he was barely like that in the game. He was a really messed up and confused individual but ultimately pretty happy and upbeat. They threw all that away because they wanted to make Cloud sad about Aeris some more despite the fact that he had dealt with that issue.

Tifa is another confused character. She's confused because Cloud is a friend of hers, and he's telling her things she doesn't remember. She questions herself because of it. Ultimately she's a very strong person who learned to fight for herself because she wanted to help protect others. It's less cliche than I'm making it sound but I'm trying to keep it concise.

Aeris is kind of the opposite of how she's portrayed in other media. She's not really some sweet innocent princess. She's flirty and fun and likes to make stupid jokes. I did an LP of FFVII on this forum and I mistakenly called her a Mary Sue but it's not really true. She's a pretty well fleshed out character who isn't there just to get with the main hero or be protected. In fact she goes off on her own quite often if she thinks it'll help others while knowing it'll be dangerous. Hell she even sold flowers in a slum.

I'm shit at explaining this stuff. A guy on SomethingAwful is running a really good screenshot LP of the game where he's very descriptive in pointing out things even I have missed over the many years of playing the game. Not saying read it to be convinced it's a good game. If you don't like it that's fine, but it's a good way to remember that it's not just a game about how angry Cloud is at Sephiroth.

On the flip side, Cid is emotionally abusive towards Shera and the Turks are assassins who murder an entire sector of a city. So, swings and roundabouts.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah

Someone who was all angsty and broody wouldn't be caught dead saying this

rhvvqb2.jpg

• Options
    Shen wrote: »

On the flip side, Cid is emotionally abusive towards Shera and the Turks are assassins who murder an entire sector of a city. So, swings and roundabouts.

Sure? I mean, if your point is that some characters have some (deep) flaws or are straight up bad people, then yeah I'd agree with you.

Cid's attitude toward Shera isn't defensible, but at least he learns how to change it. The Turks, and by extension Shinra, are bad people. They are also antagonists. Not entirely sure why the Turks were turned into plucky comic relief for AC. They had occasional funny lines in the game but comedy was not their purpose.

• Options
    I want personal theme music as cool as the Turks have

• Options
    I mean if we really want to talk about characters who are straight up reprehensible with no redeeming qualities we could talk about Hojo.

But let's not.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So what did the overall consensus of Thief end up being?

decently okay if you're desperate for a stealth game, completely skippable otherwise

And if you are a fan of the originals outside of some rare shining moments of greatness in some side missions, it's an utterly abysmal failure.

It's also more than likely put a nail in Thief's coffin in terms of the IP.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

decently okay if you're desperate for a stealth game, completely skippable otherwise

And if you are a fan of the originals outside of some rare shining moments of greatness in some side missions, it's an utterly abysmal failure.

At least there's Dishonored

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Sure? I mean, if your point is that some characters have some (deep) flaws or are straight up bad people, then yeah I'd agree with you.

Cid's attitude toward Shera isn't defensible, but at least he learns how to change it. The Turks, and by extension Shinra, are bad people. They are also antagonists. Not entirely sure why the Turks were turned into plucky comic relief for AC. They had occasional funny lines in the game but comedy was not their purpose.

By the time wutai comes around aren't they pretty much jokes

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

At least there's Dishonored

Before release I was comparing Thief with Dishonored, mostly in terms of differences from Thief as an IP.

But the new Thief isn't even as much like the originals as Dishonored manages to be and Dishonored is consciously not trying to be like thief in every way. But there is certainly going to be more Dishonored, I just hope for PS4/PC/Xbone only.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    My point is that while people have forgotten positive aspects of characters, they have also forgotten negative ones as well, which benefits some of the cast. FF7 retains many of the idiosyncracies of earlier jrpgs, which I don't think work nearly as well in polygons due to seeming less cartoony.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Spent six hours going through ds2 while skyping with mike as we worked through the same areas together

Ds2 to win the coveted InterT4CTion of the Year award

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Major Ground zeroes spoiler
    I think that, devoid of context, it's a little early to pass judgment on the rape thing

Which isn't to say that it's not going to be despicable because it totally could be, and if someone wanted to go ahead and presume that it's despicable, I couldn't really blame them

But I think the problem is going to be more about how the event is handled and treated than the simple fact of the event

If it's a one off thing to show how scary and mean skull face is, if it never really comes up later in gz or the phantom pain, if we keep getting horribly inappropriate opportunities to scope out Paz's body, then yeah fuck Kojima

But if it's going to be a major component of Chico and Paz's character arcs, and we see all of the ramifications of the way the event breaks them and how they try and recover from it (or don't), and it's treated with the gravity and respect that it deserves, then I don't think the one-line summary of "Skull Face forces Chico to rape Paz" is necessarily enough to dismiss it as disgusting

That's not to say that it will be treated with the necessary respect. It could absolutely end up being used poorly and in that case, yeah, fuck Kojima. I just don't think there's enough info to pass judgment on it yet though I get why people wouldn't want to waste their time giving the game the benefit of the doubt, given kojima's poor record with depicting women and video games' poor record with depicting women and rape.

But it feels like there's more possibility for this to be approached appropriately as opposed to say, the hotline Miami thing

Or maybe I'm only saying that because I like Kojima a bunch and I like metal gear a bunch and I'm desperately hoping that the new MGS isn't going to have something reprehensible in it that makes me uncomfortable to play it
    you can listen to the context here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSKH_N9JLzk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ground zeroes spoilers that go beyond the previously discussed ground zeroes spoilers
    I don't know about chico but paz doesn't get any chance to have much of a character arc from this cause at the end of the game she dies from a bomb skull face stuffed up her vagina

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I started to listen to that then like 10 seconds in I was like why am I listening to this I don't want to hear any of this and then I turned it off.

The end.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

anyway play this game cause it's real good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    from pretty much every account of the beta I have heard. like they showed a gameplay thing at pax and you could have easily mistaken it for a goblin running around the barrens

Ha! There were no playable goblins in Burning Crusade!

Caught in your own web of lies!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    ground zeroes spoilers that go beyond the previously discussed ground zeroes spoilers
    I don't know about chico but paz doesn't get any chance to have much of a character arc from this cause at the end of the game she dies from a bomb skull face stuffed up her vagina

Where are you hearing these

How are these true

Are you doing your starting false rumors thing again

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options

Where are you hearing these

How are these true

Are you doing your starting false rumors thing again

the game has been sold early and is available to watch

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I heard that Ground Zeroes blocked its end from being streamed though?

Oh well, I will find out what's what soon enough.

• Options

they could possibly do that within built-in console streaming tools, but they can't stop old fashioned capture cards

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

they could possibly do that within built-in console streaming tools, but they can't stop old fashioned capture cards

Ah true! Totally spaced on that.

• Options
    Regarding that GZ spoiler I have this to say:
    It would not be the first time Paz has apparently "died."

And it happens all the time in MGS as a series.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    For all the Australians players burned by being unable to play Titanfall because of no local servers:

Sydney-based servers go live tomorrow morning and will have capacity added to them every day

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.