Options

THEY TOOK OUR JERB thread so here is the new one. [Job Thread]

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kaizen sounds like it could go either way as far as good/harm it could do.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Darmak wrote: »

I know this is late, but thank you for this. I don't normally change back into my regular clothes after work, but I think for an interview I might go ahead and do it. As for technical stuff, I know the basics of some things but no or few specifics. I think it's time to do some research today since someone I work with knows someone in Ops and they gave me 2GB of their training files, including stuff on all the plant systems.

I definitely recommend studying some material - try not to get overwhelmed though. There is only so much you can learn in one day, and I'm sure that training material gets super specific.

Also they are probably looking for someone with the right mentality rather than the "smartest" people they can find. I know this is valid at least for my company. Conservative approach to work.... put equipment in a safe state and backout if something seems unsafe.... strict procedural compliance (but not "maliciously compliant" if the procedure seems wrong), that sort of stuff. I'm sure you must be familiar with a lot of this type of stuff anyways since you already work there. Having the radiation knowledge is a big plus.

If you ever supervised people, even in a "step-up" role (thats how we call it with my company) where you are just in that role for coverage, I would try to use examples from those situations when you answer behavioural questions.

@Darmak

edit: another thing you can learn is just a simplified "how does electricity get from the plant to a house, or even an electrical outlet in a home?"

Al_wat on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I really dislike one of the guys I work with as does the rest of my team. We've complained about him but our manager doesn't seem to care or notice and he just demoralizes the team entirely. It's a good day when he's not at work.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    You guys all work in actual Dilbert cartoons, huh?
    I work in an episode of the IT Crowd.

Small IT team, and an IT manager that doesn't know anything about IT.

Upper management is about as competent as Douglas Reynholm.

and there's been a good amount of sexual harassment!

Well learn to control yourself then!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I really hate incompetence.

That's sort of my hot button topic. I will lash out at people that can't do their job.

So we have a patient, who has a surname suffix. Except it's pointless (it's like IV). But here's the thing, labs don't show up unless the names match across all the systems. So if you put his name in as "Doe IV, John" in one system and "Doe, John" in the other, the system isn't going to magically know how they connect (since names are different). And since we can't use SSN as a fallback anymore to verify, there's even less we can do.

But of course it's IT's fault that this doesn't work! Of course!

So I spent a good 2 hours of my time tracking it down and it was simply because of a name mismatch. And something someone who was inputting the data could have easily figured out if they ran through their "is shit not working checklist" and given me a heads up. What's troubling is they didn't tell me he was a IV or otherwise it would've been a two second thing.

I have no idea how I am not in a mental institution yet.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Shit, I thought I had mostly avoided the pax pox but it seems to have caught up with a vengeance around an hour ago. Stuck here at work another few hours and I feel awful suddenly.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I really hate incompetence.

That's sort of my hot button topic. I will lash out at people that can't do their job.

So we have a patient, who has a surname suffix. Except it's pointless (it's like IV). But here's the thing, labs don't show up unless the names match across all the systems. So if you put his name in as "Doe IV, John" in one system and "Doe, John" in the other, the system isn't going to magically know how they connect (since names are different). And since we can't use SSN as a fallback anymore to verify, there's even less we can do.

But of course it's IT's fault that this doesn't work! Of course!

So I spent a good 2 hours of my time tracking it down and it was simply because of a name mismatch. And something someone who was inputting the data could have easily figured out if they ran through their "is shit not working checklist" and given me a heads up. What's troubling is they didn't tell me he was a IV or otherwise it would've been a two second thing.

I have no idea how I am not in a mental institution yet.

It's your job to make everything work the way I want it to work! Don't try to bullshit me, I know IT is secretly magic!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    My favorite phrase that carries a trigger warning for IT folks is "That should be easy, right?"

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    It's the ones that know it's a trigger and say it intentionally, with a smile.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @Bowen, incompetence...

I learned yesterday that one of my new coworkers (been here less than 45 days), has been a real fuck up.

Arriving on site 5 minutes before they go live.
    Arriving on site 45 minutes after they go live.
    Failing to bring the broadcast up when they are supposed to go live.
    Playing automation and live broadcast at the same time.
    Not knowing how to pick up the remote signal without being walked through it, every time.

Fortunately this doesn't affect me except by getting up my rancor at being a fuckup. Well, and when it affects me.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    One of the most incompetent people I know of works opposite of my shift, so fortunately I don't have to work directly with her.

But wow, can she screw up in the most spectacular ways. Things I can't even wrap my mind around and she's done it multiple times.

She changed every patient with the last name of "Jones" to the same first name. I don't even know how it's even possible to do that. She had to spend a few nights manually reverting each file.

She inexplicably spilled on a machine, cleaned it up improperly and caused it to malfunction in a way I've never seen. Days later and a couple of weekend maintenance visits later, the machine works again.

There are a couple other huge screw-ups in addition to daily mishaps and other various incompetencies such as taking ten times longer to do things as other co-workers.

It wouldn't be near as bad if she would take responsibility for even a single mistake. She frequently leaves things broken for others to find and figure out what happened.

Maybe the worst part is that she hasn't been here a year. That's a lot of concentrated incompetence.

On top of all that is the utter lack of professionalism and the stupid and/or lewd things she says.

But again, I don't work directly with her, I just hear about it all the time.

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    We had a migration in May 2013. The team that was supposed to monitor the old system for new orders so that they could go live in billing since then have not done so. On one hand this makes me angry because you know: do your job. On the other hand this could be some good findings for me to report so I'm not too upset. After all fixing other people's mistakes is how I earn my keep.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    So Kaizen is basically Lean?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I know this is late, but thank you for this. I don't normally change back into my regular clothes after work, but I think for an interview I might go ahead and do it. As for technical stuff, I know the basics of some things but no or few specifics. I think it's time to do some research today since someone I work with knows someone in Ops and they gave me 2GB of their training files, including stuff on all the plant systems.

I definitely recommend studying some material - try not to get overwhelmed though. There is only so much you can learn in one day, and I'm sure that training material gets super specific.

Also they are probably looking for someone with the right mentality rather than the "smartest" people they can find. I know this is valid at least for my company. Conservative approach to work.... put equipment in a safe state and backout if something seems unsafe.... strict procedural compliance (but not "maliciously compliant" if the procedure seems wrong), that sort of stuff. I'm sure you must be familiar with a lot of this type of stuff anyways since you already work there. Having the radiation knowledge is a big plus.

If you ever supervised people, even in a "step-up" role (thats how we call it with my company) where you are just in that role for coverage, I would try to use examples from those situations when you answer behavioural questions.

@Darmak

edit: another thing you can learn is just a simplified "how does electricity get from the plant to a house, or even an electrical outlet in a home?"

Oh I know I'm not going to be able to do more than learn about the basics of how stuff works, but I figure if I can show that I know a little and am willing and able to learn more than that will count for something. And yeah, the conservative decision-making process is a big thing here. I used to joke about how awful it was that they're always harping about safety and stopping to take time out and check and recheck your work and get someone else to check it for you with a fresh pair of eyes, but it's what they're all about out here and it makes sense. Don't want people to not take their job seriously and end up getting seriously hurt.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Pirusu wrote: »
    So Kaizen is basically Lean?

Lean really just encompasses a bunch of different proccesses. Kaizen can be one of those processes. Just like anything else, as @darth_waiter mentioned, it can be fucked up by people who don't understand how to use the proccesses or don't care, because it is just the newest buzzword. They can be incredibly useful tools if implemented correctly though. Here is the key though, if you don't have management buy in, like real management buy in, by people who know how the process works, you are fucked from the get go. You will be changing peoples worlds and if you don't have the CEO ready to come down and say "this is the way we are doing it now" you'll get massive resistance and no lasting change.

Edit: I'm thinking of the actual kaizen blitz process. Yea Kaizen is basically lean.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @Bowen, incompetence...

I learned yesterday that one of my new coworkers (been here less than 45 days), has been a real fuck up.

Arriving on site 5 minutes before they go live.
    Arriving on site 45 minutes after they go live.
    Failing to bring the broadcast up when they are supposed to go live.
    Playing automation and live broadcast at the same time.
    Not knowing how to pick up the remote signal without being walked through it, every time.

Fortunately this doesn't affect me except by getting up my rancor at being a fuckup. Well, and when it affects me.

I basically called someone a dumbfuck straight to their face one time.

Listen don't fuck up, pass the buck, then rain shit down on me with the boss unless you can prove it was me who fucked up.

Turns out, I'm a higher level manager.

Turns out the boss actually likes me because I improve workflow and make shit better and do my job.

Turns out this I can actually prove it was you who fucked up.

Turns out this doesn't make you friends.

I don't give a fuck though, I'm here to get paid, not coddle and baby these lazy fucks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So! I just got an e-mail from AT&T saying "We're gonna use your usage records and shit to sell you stuff unless you go to this site or call this number!"
    So I went ahead and went to the site. It gave me a message AFTER accepting my account and zip code that it was having 'a problem' processing my request.
    I then called the number. Only to be told that the same number I just gave the webpage wasn't found in the system. If only it worked that way when it was time to send out bills!

Then I get on chat, and I am feeling... less than confident in the result.
    Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.
    Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Betty Otto'

Me: Good afternoon, Betty

Betty Otto: Hi, Christopher I can help you with this

Me: Thank you

Betty Otto: What kind of offer was it?

Me: The protection of our customers' privacy is of utmost importance to the employees and management of the AT&T family of companies (AT&T)*. Please take a moment to read the following important message about the privacy of your customer information. AT&T companies that provide telecommunications and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service (which permits VoIP customers to both send and receive calls to/from customers with traditional telephone/telecommunications service) would like to share your customer proprietary network information within the AT&T family of companies for our own marketing purposes, including using that information to offer you additional products and services. What is CPNI? Your CPNI includes the types of telecommunications and interconnected VoIP services you currently purchase, how you use them and the related billing for those services. CPNI does not include your telephone number, your name or your address. Protecting the confidentiality of your CPNI is your right and our duty under federal law. As an AT&T customer, you can restrict the use of your CPNI even within the AT&T family of companies. To allow AT&T to use your CPNI, no further action is required. AT&T and our authorized agents will not sell, trade or share your CPNI with anyone other than those who are in the AT&T family of companies or are AT&T authorized agents, unless required by law. If at any time you would prefer that AT&T not use your CPNI to offer you additional products and services, you may: Submit an online form at att.com/ecpnioptout Or call 800.315.8303 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and follow the prompts

Me: I went to the website, and it says it could not process my request

Me: I called the number and it said it had trouble looking up my account info

Betty Otto: Are you sure it was an offer from us because there has been some spam out there saying it is from us and it is not

Me: It was from AT&T Account Services customerNotifications@online.att-mail.com

Me: Is this a valid ATT address?

Me: the link takes me to an att.com website, so I assumed it is legitimate

Betty Otto: I am looking to see if we have any offers out there

Me: It's not really an offer. It's supposed to be a website I can go to where I can deny AT&T the ability to use my phone and internet usage to try and sell me stuff.

Me: att.com/ecpnioptout

Betty Otto: The only offers out there are about mobile share value plans

Me: Right. Like I said, it's not an offer for a discount. It is supposed to be a page I can go to on the AT&T site and opt out of them using my internet/phone usage to try and sell me things

Betty Otto: I can take care of that for you

Me: Thank you

Betty Otto: Consider it done

Betty Otto: Anything else I can help you with today?

Me: Does it send me a confirmation or anything when it is finished?

Betty Otto: no, but it is noted on your account

Me: Ok. Thank you very much for your time

Me: Have a good day!

So... what do you think the odds are that I can actually 'consider it done'?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

@Darmak

Oh I know I'm not going to be able to do more than learn about the basics of how stuff works, but I figure if I can show that I know a little and am willing and able to learn more than that will count for something. And yeah, the conservative decision-making process is a big thing here. I used to joke about how awful it was that they're always harping about safety and stopping to take time out and check and recheck your work and get someone else to check it for you with a fresh pair of eyes, but it's what they're all about out here and it makes sense. Don't want people to not take their job seriously and end up getting seriously hurt.

Having a questioning attitude is a huge thing too. When they ask you a technical question, try to ask clarifying questions to get a better idea about it. Obviously don't be dumb about it, but having a questioning attitude is a huge thing.

That's another "buzzword" you are probably already familiar with

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Darmak

Having a questioning attitude is a huge thing too. When they ask you a technical question, try to ask clarifying questions to get a better idea about it. Obviously don't be dumb about it, but having a questioning attitude is a huge thing.

That's another "buzzword" you are probably already familiar with

Oh yeah, questioning attitude and human performance tools and all those other buzzwords. Gonna drink that kool-aid all day long if it'll get me this job

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Seriously guys. I really want to be the librarian at my old high school. It was a pretty cool library.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Then, uh, do it?

You're young, right?

Why not do, what you want to do?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Then, uh, do it?

You're young, right?

I'm in the hiring system after doing really well with the HR interview. It's just a matter of them calling me for a school interview.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Seriously guys. I really want to be the librarian at my old high school. It was a pretty cool library.

High school librarian can't be too bad of a gig. I mean it worked for Giles for, like what? Four, five seasons? You get a crossbow or an axe or something, right?

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I keep all of my pens in the same drawer as my loose tea and tea bags
    Now every writing instrument I have smells of cinnamon chai.
    This is far far away from being a problem.

• Options
    Then, uh, do it?

You're young, right?

I'm in the hiring system after doing really well with the HR interview. It's just a matter of them calling me for a school interview.

Well then, it's probably a done deal.

You should start planning your hip and edgy displays. Gotta get those kid's attention, they're like squirrels.

• Options

High school librarian can't be too bad of a gig. I mean it worked for Giles for, like what? Four, five seasons? You get a crossbow or an axe or something, right?

That's Middle School standard issue. Now they get power armor and force-blades.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Me: Hi [name], attached are my edits to this agreement. Here's my reasoning for why I made these edits. Thanks.

Co-worker: Please send this to the following people at [customer].

Me: Hi [name], I think it would be more appropriate for you to send it to them and copy me on the e-mail. That way you can introduce me since I have literally never spoken to them about this agreement.

TL;DR: I really fucking hate stupid lazy people and dealing with their stupid lazy bullshit.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    She changed every patient with the last name of "Jones" to the same first name. I don't even know how it's even possible to do that. She had to spend a few nights manually reverting each file.

I'm going to guess she was working in Excel and grabbed that box in the corner that lets you copy data to other cells and dragged it all the fuck over creation.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    All you gotta do is double click that bottom-right corner and it'll auto-fill to the bottom of the column

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    At one point we had a coworker who everybody hated. She would go to another developer for some help on the code she was supposed to be fixing. That's OK. She's new, she needs a bit of time to get spun up on the code, sure. But then she takes the help she was given, waste 4 hours puttering around then go to some other developer to ask the same question, where she then gets the exact same answer. This repeats several times until we figure out that she hasn't actually fixed the code, and when I or the team lead go to sit with her to walk her through it, she just keeps asking the same questions in different ways, saying she understands, and then still not fixing the problem.

It got to the point where some of the developers would get a little terse with her and she would then never talk to them again. This lead to some of the nicer developers being stuck with being her goto helpdesk since they weren't mean enough to tell her to go away. This was especially bad because our PM even told her to stop bothering certain developers when they had some crucial bug fixes that needed to get done. 20 minutes later, she'd be back at their cube trying to "help" them with the bug.

After several weeks of her not actually producing any code and pissing off pretty much the entire team, we let her go. But those few weeks had my blood pressure skyrocketing every time I had to deal with her.

So the question really is how did she get through the hiring process?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    At one point we had a coworker who everybody hated. She would go to another developer for some help on the code she was supposed to be fixing. That's OK. She's new, she needs a bit of time to get spun up on the code, sure. But then she takes the help she was given, waste 4 hours puttering around then go to some other developer to ask the same question, where she then gets the exact same answer. This repeats several times until we figure out that she hasn't actually fixed the code, and when I or the team lead go to sit with her to walk her through it, she just keeps asking the same questions in different ways, saying she understands, and then still not fixing the problem.

It got to the point where some of the developers would get a little terse with her and she would then never talk to them again. This lead to some of the nicer developers being stuck with being her goto helpdesk since they weren't mean enough to tell her to go away. This was especially bad because our PM even told her to stop bothering certain developers when they had some crucial bug fixes that needed to get done. 20 minutes later, she'd be back at their cube trying to "help" them with the bug.

After several weeks of her not actually producing any code and pissing off pretty much the entire team, we let her go. But those few weeks had my blood pressure skyrocketing every time I had to deal with her.

HR can't code for shit?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

See this is what I'd love to know. Because there are a lot of jobs that I really believe that if businesses were willing to train me to do, I could do that shit like gangbusters. I'm good at problem solving, good at being attentive to subtle things, and I have an excellent memory. But the job briefs for such jobs always require experience, certs, or degrees in areas I don't have. I want to be like this lady, who can get a job for which she is unequipped and hold on to it, apparently, for weeks!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Reminds me of Dwarf Fortress when you have a bunch of cheesemakers show up during a migration. Yeah, they might have good creativity and kinesthetic sense, but they're worthless to the fortress.

embark_desc6.png

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Some of you might remember before I moved and left home two years ago I was working for a horrible florist where:

- the boss had done one evening course
    - promised me many things and then never came through
    - I was verbally harassed by the boss' husband
    - I manned the place alone 80% of the time

and I was very very unhappy and trapped there for over a year. Today I found out that they've had to close down. Good. Thats what happens when you treat your staff like rubbish.

• Options
    Then, uh, do it?

You're young, right?

Well then, it's probably a done deal.

You should start planning your hip and edgy displays. Gotta get those kid's attention, they're like squirrels.

Oh man, I got YA display ideas LOCKED. Way better and easier than adult displays.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I sent out an email (and a followup email) about the heartbleed thing to all users.
    JInGhJy.png

A person in the company just sent this reply to me, as well as all users
    Actually this bug has been around for about 7.5 years.
    However, it was only a couple weeks ago that the media industry got thier claws on the info.
    Ive made alot of money fixing people affected by this bug.
    This is the means used by hackers when uploading worms and trojans via user accounts on facebook and google over the last few years. Eg. the PM worm from facebook last year is a great example of the intrusions.( and the year before, and the year before )

So they just admitted to profiting from it instead of reporting it and somehow want me/other people to be impressed by this?

I don't even.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    uh

so ... basically he's mad that the media are telling people how to stop up his leaking cash cow.
    and
    he's telling you
    i just

even

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Wh- what the hell?

That's some pretty scummy shit right there.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Dude's full of nonsense. TLS heartbeats weren't supported by release versions of OpenSSL until spring 2012. And how the hell would he have fixed it? Reverting versions I guess?

And that doesn't even touch on the ethical concerns there!

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't even figure out if he's genuinely angry that people know about the bug now, or if he just wants to show off that HE knew about it FIRST goddammit.

This discussion has been closed.