As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    HATE ON HATERS!

Great WR class this year... we could see 6 go in the 1st and no RBs
    And if all these teams at the top of the draft come to their senses and wait to the 2nd round for these QBs we might get 0 rbs 0 qbs and like 6-8 WRs

zllehs on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    RBs should only go in the first round if they're Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    But both those guys have been drafted...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    No love for Walter Payton?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Before my time. But yeah, probably. Him and Jim Brown.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Just watched the Sports Science 2014 combine special... You should too

I am now in love with UCLA LB Anthony Barr

But the best thing in this special is the segment on how the best RBs are in the goldilocks range of not being too fast or too big because being either of each is detrimental proven by the most simple of physics equations Force = Mass x Acceleration

Great stuff

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This is a great article about Barry Sanders

Favorite quotes from that link:
    It’s a stupid example of a larger truth with Barry. There was no formula for anything he did on a football field. As a model for other running backs, one of the greatest running backs of all time is a horrible example. Nobody should ever try to run like Barry Sanders, because they will never be Barry Sanders.

Other running backs are simple math. Speed + power + blocking = touchdowns. With Barry you had speed, two gigantic thighs and a low center of gravity, and then something like magic that made it almost impossible to ever really hit him. He found holes that didn’t exist, he scored touchdowns that should’ve never happened. Barry didn’t work in video games because designers couldn’t program someone who was a cheat code in real life.
    It wasn’t always perfect, obviously. He went backward on a bunch of plays. He got bottled up for no gain. He got stopped in the playoffs. But just when you were ready to dismiss him as a gimmick, there would be some ridiculous run that made you say, “Ohhhhhh, right, that’s why they keep handing it to Barry.”
    This is technically a 47-yard touchdown to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, but it’s also a run that a makes a playoff defense look like a bunch of clueless henchmen in a bad action movie.
    “Life doesn’t stop with football,” Barry once said. “Happiness does not come from football awards. It’s terrible to correlate happiness with football. Happiness comes from a good job, being able to feed your wife and kids. I don’t dream football, I dream the American dream — two cars in a garage, be a happy father … ”
    In July 1999, he got on a flight to London and taught us exactly how unimportant sports really are. But if that’s the first thing that people will remember him for, we should also remember that what he did for the previous 10 years is everything that can make sports great. I didn’t watch him win a Super Bowl, I never saw him break Walter Payton’s record. But I watched Barry Sanders play running back and bounce through a hundred different defenses like it was nothing. That’s good enough.

If you weren't alive or didn't follow football when Barry was playing then you really missed out. I mean there are tons of highlight reels of Barry's runs, but its important to realize that he did that stuff in every game. And then he would humbly hand the ball off to the ref while his teammates celebrated around him. Dude was just the best.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put the draft so late?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah Sanders highlights are just like

No matter who your favorite RB is, you look at the shit Sanders could do when he was on and you just go, "My guy can't do that!"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    And if you're a Lions fan, you remember how shit those offensive lines were, outside of Kevin Glover.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    And if you're a Lions fan, you remember how shit those offensive lines were, outside of Kevin Glover.

Seriously. It was normal to see Barry take a handoff and then immediately have to juke a defender 4 yards in the backfield. It wasn't unusual at all for a guy to be in the backfield as the handoff was taking place.

And then that run would go for 80 yards past 15 other defenders

(Because 4 of them would get up and try to tackle him again)

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This is a great article about Barry Sanders

Favorite quotes from that link:
    It’s a stupid example of a larger truth with Barry. There was no formula for anything he did on a football field. As a model for other running backs, one of the greatest running backs of all time is a horrible example. Nobody should ever try to run like Barry Sanders, because they will never be Barry Sanders.

Other running backs are simple math. Speed + power + blocking = touchdowns. With Barry you had speed, two gigantic thighs and a low center of gravity, and then something like magic that made it almost impossible to ever really hit him. He found holes that didn’t exist, he scored touchdowns that should’ve never happened. Barry didn’t work in video games because designers couldn’t program someone who was a cheat code in real life.
    It wasn’t always perfect, obviously. He went backward on a bunch of plays. He got bottled up for no gain. He got stopped in the playoffs. But just when you were ready to dismiss him as a gimmick, there would be some ridiculous run that made you say, “Ohhhhhh, right, that’s why they keep handing it to Barry.”
    This is technically a 47-yard touchdown to beat the Cowboys in the playoffs, but it’s also a run that a makes a playoff defense look like a bunch of clueless henchmen in a bad action movie.
    “Life doesn’t stop with football,” Barry once said. “Happiness does not come from football awards. It’s terrible to correlate happiness with football. Happiness comes from a good job, being able to feed your wife and kids. I don’t dream football, I dream the American dream — two cars in a garage, be a happy father … ”
    In July 1999, he got on a flight to London and taught us exactly how unimportant sports really are. But if that’s the first thing that people will remember him for, we should also remember that what he did for the previous 10 years is everything that can make sports great. I didn’t watch him win a Super Bowl, I never saw him break Walter Payton’s record. But I watched Barry Sanders play running back and bounce through a hundred different defenses like it was nothing. That’s good enough.

If you weren't alive or didn't follow football when Barry was playing then you really missed out. I mean there are tons of highlight reels of Barry's runs, but its important to realize that he did that stuff in every game. And then he would humbly hand the ball off to the ref while his teammates celebrated around him. Dude was just the best.

He was a guy who would do these amazing things. And you see running backs do that sometimes. But you can see where the O-line made a hole for him. Or a shift faked out the defense. Or they bit on a passing play. And Barry Sanders did all of those amazing things without any of it. I mean sure sometimes the Lions passed. But the defense was keying on Barry Sanders every play. He was the guy. And he did all of that amazing stuff without the kind of help you'd expect.

• Options
    They passed rather a lot. It was super frustrating, actually. The number of 16 carries for 140 yard games he had while Scott friggin' Mitchell threw 45 times made me sad.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    They passed rather a lot. It was super frustrating, actually. The number of 16 carries for 140 yard games he had while Scott friggin' Mitchell threw 45 times made me sad.

Those passes generally didn't matter. None of their their receivers was going to rip off a big play even if you played them loosely. They basically passed so he didn't get hammered every play.

• Options
    They had a decent receiving corps for a while there with Herman Moore and Johnny Morton that threatened to rip off big plays.

• Options
    They had a decent receiving corps for a while there with Herman Moore and Johnny Morton that threatened to rip off big plays.

I'm willing to admit I'm getting old but I don't recall them doing anything big. It was pretty much the Barry Sander's show. But that may just be my memory being shit.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Brett Perriman, too.

1995:
    Moore had 123 catches (was the NFL record, still tied for second with Welker, behind Marvin Harrison's 2002) for 1686 yards (#7 all-time, but oddly only third in the league that year)
    Perriman had 108 catches for 1488 yards (#41!)

Also, when that happened, they were two of the top 20 yardage seasons ever for one team in the same season.

Morton a respectable 44 for 590 in I believe his rookie year

The aforementioned Scott Mictchell threw for 4338 yards with less than 60% completion. Very Stafford-esque, but under the old rules.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    knitdan wrote: »

All part of the NFL's master evil plan for year round sports talk domination.

Late April to early May used to be dominated by the first 2 rounds of nba playoff basketball.

Not anymore starting this year.

Just look at the calendar year... Only 2 months aren't dominated by NFL talk.

January - NFL playoffs
    February - super bowl and it's aftermath
    March - NFL free agency / March madness
    April - NFL free agency /start of baseball
    May - NFL Draft /playoff basketball
    June - nba finals and nba free agency
    July - MLB
    August - December - NFL NFL NFL NFL and some more NFL... with some world series sprinkled in in October and college football Championships in December

zllehs on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Brett Perriman, too.

1995:
    Moore had 123 catches (was the NFL record, still tied for second with Welker, behind Marvin Harrison's 2002) for 1686 yards (#7 all-time, but oddly only third in the league that year)

Also, when that happened, they were two of the top 20 yardage seasons ever for one team in the same season.

The aforementioned Scott Mictchell threw for 4338 yards with less than 60% completion. Very Stafford-esque, but under the old rules.

Think they had the #1 offense in the NFL that year, and then Philadelphia murdered them in the playoffs (if memory serves). Also someone was brutally injured in that playoff game.

and the highlight of Scott Mitchell's career will always be dressing up as Wayne Fontes.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

All part of the NFL's master evil plan for year round sports talk domination.

Late April to early May used to be dominated by the first 2 rounds of nba playoff basketball.

Not anymore starting this year.

Just look at the calendar year... Only 2 months aren't dominated by NFL talk.

January - NFL playoffs
    February - super bowl and it's aftermath
    March - NFL free agency / March madness
    April - NFL free agency /start of baseball
    May - NFL Draft /playoff basketball
    June - nba finals and nba free agency
    July - MLB
    August - December - NFL NFL NFL NFL and some more NFL... with some world series sprinkled in in October and college football Championships in December

If you want to dig deeper, there is even more things the NFL is trying to make A Thing. The Combine is in late February, universities have Pro days throughout march, the schedule is released in April (along with the ensuing W-L predictions). Training camps start in July if you're super desperate for news.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Brett Perriman, too.

1995:

Think they had the #1 offense in the NFL that year, and then Philadelphia murdered them in the playoffs (if memory serves). Also someone was brutally injured in that playoff game.

and the highlight of Scott Mitchell's career will always be dressing up as Wayne Fontes.

I do not recall the injury, but otherwise that's all accurate. Eagles scored 59.

• Options
    Well Barry is in a new commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaZBRumpg4

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy seeing Karl Malone in that commercial. Too bad he's probably got a good sense of humor about it all, but I still enjoy my fantasy world where he is all broken up about his failed career. Too many points, not enough wins. Poor Karl Malone!

• Options
    Well he didn't have much of a sense of humor, and then he ran into john stockton who gave him one.

So footballs, 17 god damn stupid days before the draft. How retarded will the media get about how Clowney will not be chosen first when he gets chosen first.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I still think Clowney is going to look slow and plodding in the NFL. He needs some work.

• Options
    I'm not sold on him honestly, but I'm not an nfl scout nor do I have the resources they have. I mean I probably know more than Mel Kiper, then again so does Forrest Gump.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I really enjoy seeing Karl Malone in that commercial. Too bad he's probably got a good sense of humor about it all, but I still enjoy my fantasy world where he is all broken up about his failed career. Too many points, not enough wins. Poor Karl Malone!

If 90's nba was a Kingdom Michael Jordan would be a tyrant. And he'd have the heads of Malone Stockton Ewing Miller and many more on stakes.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm not sold on him honestly, but I'm not an nfl scout nor do I have the resources they have. I mean I probably know more than Mel Kiper, then again so does Forrest Gump.

Lol what's up with the kiper hate?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    He's frequently wrong and yet he gets to be on tv being wrong all the time.

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mel Kiper is the equivalent of an astrophysics department head at Cambridge that started as a physics tutor at a community college based solely on his ability to articulate the lie that he knew anything about math and physics.

• Options
    Geno Smith also believes he's going to be QB this year. Geno buddy face facts bro, you'll be lucky if the Jets don't draft another qb and send you off to the vikings.

Its like my boy EJ Manuel should probably not take another starter snap ever again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Mel Kiper is the equivalent of an astrophysics department head at Cambridge that started as a physics tutor at a community college based solely on his ability to articulate the lie that he knew anything about math and physics.

I don't think I would equate things like math and science with NFL talent evaluation.

I see Kiper as a weather man. He's just there to give you a rough idea of what's somewhat likely to happen. He builds a narrative around the draft so ESPN can sell it.

• Options

I don't think I would equate things like math and science with NFL talent evaluation.

I see Kiper as a weather man. He's just there to give you a rough idea of what's somewhat likely to happen. He builds a narrative around the draft so ESPN can sell it.

Mel Kiper might.

• Options

He's a political pundit. It's a totally accountability free profession. All you need to do is make bold pronouncements with confidence and have nice hair.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    too bad kiper doesn't even have nice hair

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    He doesn't even make bold pronouncements though, as they are either in line with everyone else's predictions or change every 4 days. I'm getting more on board of the weatherman analogy now.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    He's frequently wrong and yet he gets to be on tv being wrong all the time.

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Well wrong in what way?
    Where players will go in the draft?
    Everyone is wrong on that and that very hard to predict that stuff because of the trades that happen.

He isn't well regarded because of his ability to predict where players will go in the draft. He is well regarded because he is a great talent evaluator.

zllehs on
  • Options
    Geno Smith also believes he's going to be QB this year. Geno buddy face facts bro, you'll be lucky if the Jets don't draft another qb and send you off to the vikings.

Its like my boy EJ Manuel should probably not take another starter snap ever again.

Take it from me... a Jets Fan...
    As some who saw every pass Geno threw last year... NOBODY could have succeeded with that receiving corps.
    The narrative about Geno Smith being a bad QB is a sick joke. He was a rookie with rookie growing pains and a bad receiving corps

Heres an example of how putrid the Jets Receivers were last year.

Jeremy Kerley went down with an injury in the 1st quarter of their week 9 game vs the Saints.
    At that time he lead ALL jest receivers with 347 yards and 2 TDs
    When he comes back 5 WEEKS LATER in week 14? he is still their leader in yards and only behind by 1 in TDs.

That is comically bad

At worst He deserves an Incomplete grade.

And he ended the season looking better than he did all season

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    So apparently we just traded a 7th round pick for Terrel Pryor. Apparently since its not actually a real, physical thing we were having trouble lighting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »

Take it from me... a Jets Fan...
    As some who saw every pass Geno threw last year... NOBODY could have succeeded with that receiving corps.
    The narrative about Geno Smith being a bad QB is a sick joke. He was a rookie with rookie growing pains and a bad receiving corps

Heres an example of how putrid the Jets Receivers were last year.

Jeremy Kerley went down with an injury in the 1st quarter of their week 9 game vs the Saints.
    At that time he lead ALL jest receivers with 347 yards and 2 TDs
    When he comes back 5 WEEKS LATER in week 14? he is still their leader in yards and only behind by 1 in TDs.

That is comically bad

At worst He deserves an Incomplete grade.

And he ended the season looking better than he did all season

I see what you did there.

And as a life long Packer fan, Packers/Lions games were my absolute favorite game to watch because even if we lost I got to watch Barry fucking Sanders run.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for that team because of him (and because I know they'll never do anything more than threaten to be a good team)

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    So apparently we just traded a 7th round pick for Terrel Pryor. Apparently since its not actually a real, physical thing we were having trouble lighting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet.

Tavaris 2.0, which is weird because the hawks just signed tavaris for like two more seasons. Pryor has to know he's going to be at best 3rd string.

pleasepaypreacher.net