As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS AS DEAD AS THE BUCS PLAYOFF CHANCES!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    zllehs wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    He's frequently wrong and yet he gets to be on tv being wrong all the time.

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Well wrong in what way?
    Where players will go in the draft?
    Everyone is wrong on that and that very hard to predict that stuff because of the trades that happen.

He isn't well regarded because of his ability to predict where players will go in the draft. He is well regarded because he is a great talent evaluator.

As a fan without a team, I put it to those of you who have teams. Ask yourself after this draft, would you have been happier with Mel Kiper's projected picks for your team, or your team's actual picks? If it's the former, I submit, he's doing well at his job. If the latter, poorly.

I don't know about his projections- Insider and all- but I can go get his draft grades from far enough back to where we know exactly how they turned out. Say, his 2004 grades, or 2005, or 2006, or 2007.

His take on the 2005 Packers:
    Green Bay Packers: C
    The Packers had to take quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first round. You just can't pass on the opportunity to get Brett Favre's heir apparent and give him some time to learn from one of the best passers ever, even though he won't help them win this year. Corner Nick Collins is a good athlete but very raw and was a reach in the second round, and while receiver Terrence Murphy is a nice player Green Bay didn't need a receiver. Safety Marviel Underwood was a solid pickup in the fourth round but linebacker Brady Poppinga might not be a good fit in the Packers' scheme. I like receiver Craig Bragg in the sixth round but there is just not enough defensive help in this class.

The 2007 Cardinals:
    Arizona Cardinals: GRADE: B-
    Once Joe Thomas was gone, the Cardinals had to make a decision whether to take Adrian Peterson or Levi Brown. Peterson would have been a luxury pick, which they couldn't afford to do, and Brown fills a hole. Arizona must improve its offensive line. There were quite a few teams that didn't think there was a lot that separated Brown from Thomas. Brown has a nasty streak and can play either tackle position. For the second straight year, Arizona took an underachieving defensive tackle from Michigan. Alan Branch has great physical skills but was an underachiever. He will either be a boom or a bust. Linebacker Buster Davis was a decent third-round pick, and Steve Breaston was a really nice choice in the fifth round because of his return skills and should pay dividends in the return game. Tight end Ben Patrick is a potential steal in the seventh round. He needs to work on his concentration and catching the ball, but Patrick could have gone in the third round and no one would have argued.

To be fair on the Aaron Rodgers one, he ended up sitting on the bench for like what, 4 years? And the few times he came off it he never looked very good in at least those first few years.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I don't know about his projections- Insider and all- but I can go get his draft grades from far enough back to where we know exactly how they turned out. Say, his 2004 grades, or 2005, or 2006, or 2007.

The Packers had to take quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first round. You just can't pass on the opportunity to get Brett Favre's heir apparent and give him some time to learn from one of the best passers ever, even though he won't help them win this year. Corner Nick Collins is a good athlete but very raw and was a reach in the second round, and while receiver Terrence Murphy is a nice player Green Bay didn't need a receiver. Safety Marviel Underwood was a solid pickup in the fourth round but linebacker Brady Poppinga might not be a good fit in the Packers' scheme. I like receiver Craig Bragg in the sixth round but there is just not enough defensive help in this class.

The 2007 Cardinals:
    Once Joe Thomas was gone, the Cardinals had to make a decision whether to take Adrian Peterson or Levi Brown. Peterson would have been a luxury pick, which they couldn't afford to do, and Brown fills a hole. Arizona must improve its offensive line. There were quite a few teams that didn't think there was a lot that separated Brown from Thomas. Brown has a nasty streak and can play either tackle position. For the second straight year, Arizona took an underachieving defensive tackle from Michigan. Alan Branch has great physical skills but was an underachiever. He will either be a boom or a bust. Linebacker Buster Davis was a decent third-round pick, and Steve Breaston was a really nice choice in the fifth round because of his return skills and should pay dividends in the return game. Tight end Ben Patrick is a potential steal in the seventh round. He needs to work on his concentration and catching the ball, but Patrick could have gone in the third round and no one would have argued.

To be fair on the Aaron Rodgers one, he ended up sitting on the bench for like what, 4 years? And the few times he came off it he never looked very good in at least those first few years.

The question is, how bad were all the OTHER pundit's pre-draft predictions? (Or, you know, we could just hate them all, I guess.)

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    wow niners/hawks will be 2 weeks apart wk 13 and 15
    this will be fun

Guh I hate that kind of division scheduling.

they just want one of the cities to burn down the other so they can move one of the teams to London
    conspiracy!

Just wait for the next big earthquake to hit Seattle. The sea wall will go and the stadium with it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    this will be fun

I kind of like it actually. I'd have no problem is NFL was more like baseball in which the division games were back to back.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I like the Cardinals one more, actually. 'Man, you HAVE to take Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson! You have to fill that position gap, and Brown's almost as good as Joe Thomas anyway!'

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    [
    Kana wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    zllehs wrote: »
    He's frequently wrong and yet he gets to be on tv being wrong all the time.

He's basically the seattle weatherman of ESPN. Dude has been wrong so many times he makes Peter King look like a prophet.

Well wrong in what way?
    Where players will go in the draft?
    Everyone is wrong on that and that very hard to predict that stuff because of the trades that happen.

He isn't well regarded because of his ability to predict where players will go in the draft. He is well regarded because he is a great talent evaluator.

As a fan without a team, I put it to those of you who have teams. Ask yourself after this draft, would you have been happier with Mel Kiper's projected picks for your team, or your team's actual picks? If it's the former, I submit, he's doing well at his job. If the latter, poorly.

The 2007 Cardinals:

I thought he was praising the Rodgers pick "you can't pass on picking up the heir apparent" and they didn't. Unless they were supposed to jump in front of the 49ers somehow and pick Alex Smith(snicker) there was some other QB they should have gotten.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I like the Cardinals one more, actually. 'Man, you HAVE to take Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson! You have to fill that position gap, and Brown's almost as good as Joe Thomas anyway!'
    This is why the 'draft gurus' are useless. Its a pretty transparent process:

1) what do I think this team's main needs are?
    2) Did they pick that position within the first couple rounds?
    3) If so, did they pick players I liked or someone else?

Do they have great info about what a team 'needs'? No. Are their player evaluations particularly insightful? No. Do they care at all or have any knowledge about an individual team's priorities or actual schemes? No. And yet somehow they make God knows how much money every year by basically making shit up for a few months.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    this will be fun

I kind of like it actually. I'd have no problem is NFL was more like baseball in which the division games were back to back.

For me it seems like a way to beat up strong teams before the play offs. Both niners and hawks play each other hard, last year they had a nice break in between the games this year there isn't one and it'll just make both teams weaker.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So rumor mill around the hawks it that Tate screwed Wilson's wife. Its why they didn't try to get him back in the off season.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Well if he's going to get divorced I'm glad he did it before he gets a new contract, the ex-wife probably gets a lot less money this way.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Someone on fark claimed a divorce attorney said she could get some of his future assets but I don't see how thats possible since washington state has no alimony and its community property. On top of that, divorcing her before the season starts means he has no guarantee of any money. I mean if Wilson blows a knee in the first game of the season he sure as fuck isn't getting 20m come the off season.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Someone on fark claimed a divorce attorney said she could get some of his future assets but I don't see how thats possible since washington state has no alimony and its community property. On top of that, divorcing her before the season starts means he has no guarantee of any money. I mean if Wilson blows a knee in the first game of the season he sure as fuck isn't getting 20m come the off season.

I'd also be surprised if the claim is true of her being unfaithful, any lawyer worth a damn is going to use that to get him out of paying basically anything.

• Options
    Might not have any proof, or Wilson just doesn't want to hurt her in public. Attorney's are at the mercy of their clients and some spouses while hurt by their spouses problems, don't want to publicize them.

Not to mention if she was cheating on him and it got out, every defensive player ever would use that as a taunt.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2040501-nfl-punishes-seattle-seahawks-for-being-too-good-at-home?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true

So when I saw ONE prime time home game for the super bowl Champs I was a bit displeased but it appears it might be on purpose. Still stupid though.

• Options
    I was kind of surprised the Hawks only have one monday night game, and its at that god awful knee killer in washington.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2040501-nfl-punishes-seattle-seahawks-for-being-too-good-at-home?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national?is_shared=true

So when I saw ONE prime time home game for the super bowl Champs I was a bit displeased but it appears it might be on purpose. Still stupid though.

Seahawks get 1 primetime home game and 3 on the road

I mean more home primetime games would be great obviously, but they still get 4 primetime games. That's still better than most teams. It's not actually changing scheduling, just the broadcasting.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Yeah I'm calling bullshit. For all their vaunted home field advantage, they were 7-1 at home.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    15-1 since last year, that's uhh pretty good for a home field advantage...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Green Bay got 5 with 3 at home. I am not saying I agree whole heartedly but the NFL had been crapping on the Seahawks schedule for years. Look at the morning games they have. All away and back to back at one point on the east coast.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I got the joke. Why didn't you?

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I'd also be surprised if the claim is true of her being unfaithful, any lawyer worth a damn is going to use that to get him out of paying basically anything.

In general, adultery is irrelevant in Washington state divorce proceedings. At least it was when my parents divorced back in the mid 90s.

• Options
    I got the joke. Why didn't you?

Sorry the mariners just snapped an 8 game losing streak by finally beating houston at home. I'm a bit delirious this morning.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Assuming Washington is a no-fault divorce state then it doesn't matter at all. It will have zero bearing on the case. Basically it comes down to "Did they have a prenup?" "Are there special assets one wants?" and "How much of an asshole does everyone want to be?".

• Options
    From what I remember of my parents divorce, thats pretty much how it went. I don't even recall them going to court.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    15-1 since last year, that's uhh pretty good for a home field advantage...
    And 4-4 and 5-3 in the two years before that. Three teams were 8-0 last year at home and two others 7-1. Over the last 4 seasons the Patriots are 29-3 at home and 68-12 over the last 10 (with an average margin of victory of more than 2 TD) and somehow they still get prime time home games.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    East coast bias. I mean fuck sake they promoted the fuck out of the Peyton Brady Bowl last year and ultimately it didn't mean shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I'd just like to say I feel vindicated that the schedule release is, in fact, A Thing. :P

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    You spelled mediocre wrong.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Oh can you pronounce it for me, so I can spell it properly?

Also sadly according to espn, Sherman and the team are not as close as previously reported. So most likely he won't be returning next season.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Recently acquired veteran decides to retire instead of playing for the seahawks...

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/5685/trufant-retires-as-a-seahawk

Ok it was Marcus Trufant and they signed him for a day so he could retire a seahawk after not playing in 2013.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    He knew the heavy diet of performance enhancing drugs required of the Seahawks' secondary would be too risky for his aging body

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    He knew the heavy diet of performance enhancing drugs required of the Seahawks' secondary would be too risky for his aging body

Well he was going to be a patriot, but he heard they were already filled up on past their prime members of the secondary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Heard on the radio today that the reason the Seahawks didn't get any nationally televised home games is because the NFL doesn't like their marquee games to be blowouts.

See also: no Superb Owl rematch in week 1.

• Options
    I guess the media/random ppl were hassling Richard Sherman so much at Harvard that he ended up sitting in for the last 15 minutes of a class my friend was teaching.

So if he trash talks with some in depth knowledge of chocolate this year, we'll know why

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Heard on the radio today that the reason the Seahawks didn't get any nationally televised home games is because the NFL doesn't like their marquee games to be blowouts.

See also: no Superb Owl rematch in week 1.

If that were the case the Patriots wouldn't get those kind of games either.

No its about the market Seattle is considered small market and are treated accordingly even if they are the superb owl champs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    having your team play nationally televised games sucks though

i want to go to bed early

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I guess the media/random ppl were hassling Richard Sherman so much at Harvard that he ended up sitting in for the last 15 minutes of a class my friend was teaching.

So if he trash talks with some in depth knowledge of chocolate this year, we'll know why

Your friend teaches a class on chocolate?

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    having your team play nationally televised games sucks though

i want to go to bed early

Another reason west coast is best coast. Monday night games are over before any of my tv watching is impacted.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not if your team is the bills! what's a prime time game?