Options

The Star Wars Thread: A New Hope for Social Entropy

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I know I sound like a broken record damaged holocron, but Revenge of the Sith novelization. Seriously. It's covered.

turning it from a plot hole to an unsatisfying ass-cover

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    That's the Star Wars way, right?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Technically the book was released first.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The final line in Attack of the Clones is "the shroud of the dark side has fallen". The concept was in the movies, even if it was never explained. That's on Lucas as a filmmaker, not a plot hole.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Are there any other Star Wars games being made at the moment?

What kind of game?

Fantasy Flight Games is making pretty much everything Star Wars that isn't electronic right now.

On the role-playing front, Edge of the Empire aka Be Han Solo is out. Age of Rebellion aka Fuck the Police Empire is due out this summer. The Jedi-centric Force and Destiny is due out sometime next year, probably. While each of the lines focus on different parts of the Star Wars setting they are being designed with compatibility in mind.

On the miniatures side of things, the tactical dog-fighting X-Wing Miniatures has been out for... a year and a half or so now? It's relatively cheap compared to most tabletop miniature games, although it'll still add up if you become addicted. It's really fun, so addiction is likely.

There's also a Living Card Game for Star Wars but I haven't played that.

Do you wish to know more about any of these things?

I have the miniatures game, it's really cool!

I was talking in terms of the video games though.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I could have sworn in one of the prequels either Mace Windu or Yoda asks the other "should we notify the senate of our weakening connection to the force?" And the response is basically "nah they wouldn't like that"

So while that "Palpatine clouding their minds" thing may not be explicitly stated, it's at least implied

I haven't read the novelization or any other such thing either

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The Jedi and their weakening connection to the force is given about as much weight as the identity of the person who ordered the creation of the clone army

And by that I mean it is mentioned once as though it is a mysterious big deal and then never brought up, resolved, or mentioned by anyone ever again

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What kind of game?

Fantasy Flight Games is making pretty much everything Star Wars that isn't electronic right now.

On the role-playing front, Edge of the Empire aka Be Han Solo is out. Age of Rebellion aka Fuck the Police Empire is due out this summer. The Jedi-centric Force and Destiny is due out sometime next year, probably. While each of the lines focus on different parts of the Star Wars setting they are being designed with compatibility in mind.

On the miniatures side of things, the tactical dog-fighting X-Wing Miniatures has been out for... a year and a half or so now? It's relatively cheap compared to most tabletop miniature games, although it'll still add up if you become addicted. It's really fun, so addiction is likely.

EA has the exclusive license for SW video games. All projects being worked on before that are cancelled and EA hasn't announced anything yet.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I just looked into what had happened to the Star Wars CCG.

Has anyone tried this?

I played back when it was actually produced, I remember it being a fun game.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The Jedi and their weakening connection to the force is given about as much weight as the identity of the person who ordered the creation of the clone army

And by that I mean it is mentioned once as though it is a mysterious big deal and then never brought up, resolved, or mentioned by anyone ever again

I remember being totally let down when the investigation subplot was dropped in Episode 2. I love a good mystery, and the setup was there, but it went nowhere. It was like the other half of the plot was just cut out.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also, the jedi do all this fantastical stuff in the fucking movies

the prescience and mind reading and all that shit happens while the "shroud" is going on

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Well the clone army thing is like, dead obvious that it was Dooku

• Options

order 66 always bugged the shit out of me because of how fucking hackneyed it was

it was bad for even lucas

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

order 66 always bugged the shit out of me because of how fucking hackneyed it was

I thought I read somewhere that in The Clone Wars' sixth season...
    ...they did a storyline in which a clone finds out that the clones all have a brain-chip that forces them to commit Order 66 and he tries to warn everyone only to get killed before he can. True or not?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    maybe when disney eradicates the EU we'll get all the important story information in the movie then

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    There's a bunch of standees in the window at a gaming shop in Austin, most of them Star Wars characters. On the clone trooper, they taped a word bubble on his face that reads, "Executing Order 67: Turning that frown upside down!" And I don't know why but it's unreasonably funny.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Except they all know who Dooku is and know he was a Jedi

But the real culprit's name was Sifo Dias or whatever the fuck

And everyone knows who he is too, he's a completely different Jedi dude who liked died twenty years ago or whatever, they don't go "oh that guy didn't exist"

And he's the one who erased the fucking planet he went to from the archive memory

Like, that whole fucking plot was kind of the central thrust of the entire movie and as I recall we only ever learned who that fucking guy was and what his story was from a single paragraph blurb in the fucking art book

Now it's making me mad all over again, fuck those fucking movies, Jesus

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

What kind of game?

EA has the exclusive license for SW video games. All projects being worked on before that are cancelled and EA hasn't announced anything yet.

They teased Battlefront 3 at last year's E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_vWs6MpBfo

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    I could have sworn in one of the prequels either Mace Windu or Yoda asks the other "should we notify the senate of our weakening connection to the force?" And the response is basically "nah they wouldn't like that"

So while that "Palpatine clouding their minds" thing may not be explicitly stated, it's at least implied

The line is "I think we should tell the Senate our ability to use the Force has diminished."

And Yoda's line is something like "If word of our weakness gets out, multiply our enemies will" or something.

But there's no indication at any point that this is due to outside influence of any kind.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

I thought I read somewhere that in The Clone Wars' sixth season...
    ...they did a storyline in which a clone finds out that the clones all have a brain-chip that forces them to commit Order 66 and he tries to warn everyone only to get killed before he can. True or not?

yes

• Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I just want them to make another Rogue Squadron game

Or Battlefront.

Give me 5 Hoth levels in it, even. I don't care. Just give me an awesome Star Wars Battlefield game with these powerful consoles and working internet play. Mmmm.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Now a clone has become disguised by putting another clones hat on

you got shit to say about Fives?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

he ain't rex

• Options

And everyone knows who he is too, he's a completely different Jedi dude who liked died twenty years ago or whatever, they don't go "oh that guy didn't exist"

And he's the one who erased the fucking planet he went to from the archive memory

Like, that whole fucking plot was kind of the central thrust of the entire movie and as I recall we only ever learned who that fucking guy was and what his story was from a single paragraph blurb in the fucking art book

I am almost positive Dooku killed Sifo-Dyas and then ordered the clones and such using his name as a cover

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I hope some team is working on a new Jedi Knight.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

he ain't rex

you ain't rex

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

I am almost positive Dooku killed Sifo-Dyas and then ordered the clones and such using his name as a cover

nope

sifo ordered it but after he was murdered by dooku, he took over the project

• Options

nope

Nah, I'm just gonna imagine I'm right about this

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    All right a few more episodes into Clone Wars and I am liking Ahsoka more. Also Obi-Wan is growing on me some. The clones are still da best, though.

• Options
    obi-wan is great, snips is great, anakin is great and some of the clones are great

pretty much all the characters are interesting

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that Palpatine was originally supposed to have been the one to order the clones.

Especially since (if I remember correctly), in early versions of the script Sifo-Dyas' name was spelled Sido-Dyas and when Obi-Wan tries to look him up he didn't exist.

Sido-Dyas.
    Sidious.

Then I guess Lucas decided not to have the Jedi find out anything about Darth Sidious yet, so he changes one letter and leaves the mystery in anyways, just saying the guy is dead or whatever and the EU will handle it.

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    I recently watched all of Clone Wars, rewatching the first few seasons, and really enjoyed it. The irritating characters improve over time, and there's significant character development for the primary characters. The longer form serial format allowed for some great backstory, and managed to redeem some plot points from the new trilogy. Not all the story arcs are great, but there are some very good ones. In the later seasons, most story arcs cover 4 episodes, which allows for more complex storylines.

Obi-Wan ended up being my favorite character, largely due to his rather dry sense of humor.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Governor Tywin, I should have expected to see you paying for Vader's leash.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

nope

Nah, I'm just gonna imagine I'm right about this

I'm also pretty sure that was the intention?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

The line is "I think we should tell the Senate our ability to use the Force has diminished."

And Yoda's line is something like "If word of our weakness gets out, multiply our enemies will" or something.

But there's no indication at any point that this is due to outside influence of any kind.

man you just reminded me of something that's always bothered me

In the original trilogy, Yoda only used the object-subject-verb sentence structure when he was pretending to be a crazy old hermit to Luke. Once the jig is up, he pretty much talks like a normal person!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

He uses the reversed sentence structure like, once in that entire monologue. And yet, for the prequels Lucas went and made him do the crazy hermit talk all the time, because hey that's what yoda does right

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would have made so much more sense if Kamino was in on the whole scheme with Palpatine. They are arms dealers who would benefit a lot from war. Palpatine promises them that he'll turn the Republic into a military dictatorship where they can become the main supplier of weapons to the government. They secretly build an army for Palpatine and eliminate uncooperative senators and replace them with clones.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It would have made so much more sense if Kamino was in on the whole scheme with Palpatine. They are arms dealers who would benefit a lot from war. Palpatine promises them that he'll turn the Republic into a military dictatorship where they can become the main supplier of weapons to the government. They secretly build an army for Palpatine and eliminate uncooperative senators and replace them with clones.

Yeah but see that sounds moderately interesting, is the problem

• Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

man you just reminded me of something that's always bothered me

In the original trilogy, Yoda only used the object-subject-verb sentence structure when he was pretending to be a crazy old hermit to Luke. Once the jig is up, he pretty much talks like a normal person!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

He uses the reversed sentence structure like, once in that entire monologue. And yet, for the prequels Lucas went and made him do the crazy hermit talk all the time, because hey that's what yoda does right

This is something that I only recently became aware of myself

But it is one hundred percent true

Yoda in Empire talked a little funny, even after Luke discovered him, but it led to lines like "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"

And in the prequels it was present in nearly every single line and led to sentences like "Around the survivors, a perimeter create"

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Yeah but see that sounds moderately interesting, is the problem

I have to admit that I'm weirdly entertained by how Kenobi just hits these lucky breaks in his investigation by blind chance

When the cloners are like, don't you want to go see all the secret shit we're doing here? And he just flashes that grin and says That's why I'm here!

The whole plot is such garbage but Ewan McGregor just rolls with it and it's great

• Options

Right, and then after the war is over he has the cloners quietly eliminated, since the planet already isn't found on any archives, and there's no loose ends tying him to anything

That is way too concise and coherent for a modern day Star Wars film though, so you can see why Lucas didn't write it that way

signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.