image[PA Comic] Wednesday, May 7, 2014 - Intracranial Narratives

Intracranial Narratives

Intracranial Narratives

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/05/07

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Oh god that second panel. That expression.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Among the lesser-known Spider-powers (apparently inherited by daughter May Parker, to her dismay): the power to turn people gay for you.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    But (in the comics) the mechanical webslingers (that Peter just invented in like an afternoon with his home chemistry set to go with his new spider powers) were first! Wharglbl!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Haha, it has been a long time since I have laughed this hard.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I...don't think I'm going to be able to enjoy Spider-Man the same after this...

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The problem with mechanical webslingers is that it's hard to justify why only Spiderman uses them. You'd need enhanced strength and reflexes to use them, of course, but plenty of other superheroes have those. Imagine what, say, Wolverine could do with a pair of them.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The problem with mechanical webslingers is that it's hard to justify why only Spiderman uses them. You'd need enhanced strength and reflexes to use them, of course, but plenty of other superheroes have those. Imagine what, say, Wolverine could do with a pair of them.

Wolverine, with mechanical webslingers?

"Oh I'm swinging, swinging over the city...oh I'm sw *SNIKT* OH FUUUUU"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    But (in the comics) the mechanical webslingers (that Peter just invented in like an afternoon with his home chemistry set to go with his new spider powers) were first! Wharglbl!

All that stuff about the web cum is totes true though.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

How do you think he filled those cartridges?

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    It has been quite some time since we've had a "Gay for Spider-Man" comic. Now all we need is a Pac-Man Watch comic and the triumvirate is complete.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I've heard people comment that Spidey's webs should come out of his butt,not his hands. My response is that he is not a Human Spider, but a Spider-man. He's not turning into a spider, but spider DNA is forced into his system, so the web-making DNA may well migrate into his wrists in the Marvel pseudo-scientific sense.
    However, I did see a Discovery Channel special where spider DNA was grafted into goats, and web started coming out in their milk. And now the picture of Parker swinging from the skyscrapers by strands shot out of alternating nipples will never leave my mind.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I've heard people comment that Spidey's webs should come out of his butt,not his hands. My response is that he is not a Human Spider, but a Spider-man. He's not turning into a spider, but spider DNA is forced into his system, so the web-making DNA may well migrate into his wrists in the Marvel pseudo-scientific sense.
    However, I did see a Discovery Channel special where spider DNA was grafted into goats, and web started coming out in their milk. And now the picture of Parker swinging from the skyscrapers by strands shot out of alternating nipples will never leave my mind.
    The webs coming out of an existing hole in his body makes a lot more sense than forming a new hole. But very few of Peter Parker's powers make sense anyway. Spider's aren't unnaturally strong, can't see the future, and aren't unusually fast. And they don't explosively fire webs out either, so him not having that power in the comics makes sense.

• Options
    exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    Maybe Peter Parker got the knowledge for the mechanical spinnerets from the Nazi's when he was fleeing with the rest of the Von Trapp clan ? ? Of course he had to change his name from Friedrich at some point . .

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »
    It has been quite some time since we've had a "Gay for Spider-Man" comic. Now all we need is a Pac-Man Watch comic and the triumvirate is complete.
    What's the third comic?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

I thought it was partly his "I can stick to walls" power kicking in. Plus the whole precognitive thing so he doesn't accidentally slam himself into a building every 3 seconds.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    RunningmanRunningman Registered User regular
    W...Web Rush?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    The webs coming out of an existing hole in his body makes a lot more sense than forming a new hole. But very few of Peter Parker's powers make sense anyway. Spider's aren't unnaturally strong, can't see the future, and aren't unusually fast. And they don't explosively fire webs out either, so him not having that power in the comics makes sense.

Actually they can explosively fire out webs in some situations, for example this video of a spitting spider capturing and killing another unfortunate one that passed by it. The actual "shot web" moment happens so fast it's basically imperceptible but that other spider is doomed from the moment it runs past it (it is seriously that quick). I've even seen high speed footage of it in action (which I sadly can't find easily on youtube) and it's almost like it uses the web like a bolas to wrap the legs in place.

Spiders are actually pretty amazing animals.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Spider senses would come from the vibrations in the spider's web from a new insect getting trapped in it. It doesn't make sense for Spider-man, as he doesn't sit in a web and feel vibrations in it.

Unless, like, the whole UNIVERSE is his web... nah ;)

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Menasor wrote: »
    Spider senses would come from the vibrations in the spider's web from a new insect getting trapped in it. It doesn't make sense for Spider-man, as he doesn't sit in a web and feel vibrations in it.

Unless, like, the whole UNIVERSE is his web... nah ;)

The "web" is the Force.

Spider-Man is a Jedi.

#episode7plotrevealed

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »

He does in the first ASM movie. A pretty cool touch, I thought.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've always found the organic webshooters more convincing than the mechanical ones. I can buy that a radioactive spider bites a guy and he gets spider powers, I find it harder to swallow the idea that he then goes and invents an incredible, revolutionary adhesive in his bedroom just because he wanted something thematically appropriate.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe in most of his origin stories, the bite gives him the knowledge to make it.

Which is about as believable as anything else.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've always found the organic webshooters more convincing than the mechanical ones. I can buy that a radioactive spider bites a guy and he gets spider powers, I find it harder to swallow the idea that he then goes and invents an incredible, revolutionary adhesive in his bedroom just because he wanted something thematically appropriate.

Yeah, if Peter (school field trip Peter, not adult works-at-Horizon-labs Peter) has that kind of capability then he could have been fucking Iron Man or Batman and done his superheroing without needing a bug to bite him.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I believe in most of his origin stories, the bite gives him the knowledge to make it.

Which is about as believable as anything else.

I don't recall ever reading a version of his origin where the bite gave him the knowledge of how to make web-shooters.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I personally find it more convincing if he had to eat a medium-sized cow and take a nap for a few hours with every shot of webbing or end up as a severely malnourished skeletal mass dropping off of the web and hitting the ground shortly after launch.

(It'd be more exciting than the most recent movie anyway)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    guyincorporatedguyincorporated Registered User regular
    The grammar in the second panel is bugging me. Two back-to-back sentence fragments. Tychpo?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    This comic, and the movie The Amazing Spider-Man 2, now make me think of only one thing.

Charlotte's Web.

And now I can't unsee it. Goddamn it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This comic, and the movie The Amazing Spider-Man 2, now make me think of only one thing.

Charlotte's Web.

And now I can't unsee it. Goddamn it.
    Spider-Man spelling out "Some Pig" on the bridge just wouldn't have been as romantic.

• Options
    gbrooksgbrooks Registered User regular
    What's the specific term that Jerry thinks is incredibly gross?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Jerry wrote:
    There is a specific term in the strip that I think is incredibly gross, and I couldn’t remember who made it up, but my co-conspirator says that it was me.
    What term? Nothing incredibly gross in there to me.

forty on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Man, will Jerry referring to his children as larvae ever not be hilarious?

I doubt it.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

I personally find it more convincing if he had to eat a medium-sized cow and take a nap for a few hours with every shot of webbing or end up as a severely malnourished skeletal mass dropping off of the web and hitting the ground shortly after launch.

(It'd be more exciting than the most recent movie anyway)

With the mechanical ones, he'd need to puree that same cow for ingredients. There's a mass issue regardless.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The grammar in the second panel is bugging me. Two back-to-back sentence fragments. Tychpo?
    When people talk, they often speak in sentence fragments. This is why plays, film screenplays, comics, and other forms of writing which imitate people talking will often have incorrect grammar, including sentence fragments. This is doubly the case when someone like Gabe is talking - he's not exactly a walking Oxford English Dictionary (memorized Poe poems aside).

• Options
    I love it when Gabe makes a post linking all of the relevant past comics!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Yeah, if Peter (school field trip Peter, not adult works-at-Horizon-labs Peter) has that kind of capability then he could have been fucking Iron Man or Batman and done his superheroing without needing a bug to bite him.

At least in ASM1 they had him steal some of the technology from Oscorp (right? I forget parts of that movie).

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    I wonder which term it is that Tycho finds incredibly gross... There's a few contendors :p

• Options
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    I wonder which term it is that Tycho finds incredibly gross... There's a few contendors :p

Headcanon, probably.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

At least in ASM1 they had him steal some of the technology from Oscorp (right? I forget parts of that movie).

He didn't invent the web, just the shooters themselves. The web is like a biosteel cable that Oscorp manufacture or something. Why nobody thought to make bad ass rope swinging wrist mounted launchers until Spidey came along, I have no idea. It also wouldn't be hard to track down who's been buying shitloads of Oscorp biosteel and leaving it hanging around NYC.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

He didn't invent the web, just the shooters themselves. The web is like a biosteel cable that Oscorp manufacture or something. Why nobody thought to make bad ass rope swinging wrist mounted launchers until Spidey came along, I have no idea. It also wouldn't be hard to track down who's been buying shitloads of Oscorp biosteel and leaving it hanging around NYC.

If I remember correctly, the genetically engineered spiders make that bio steel cable (web) and Peter Parker gains the ability to do so as well when he gets bitten. He doesn't steal anything from Oscorp.