Options

Game of Thrones: It's not Books, It's HBO (NO BOOKS!)

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    yeah but I mean hearing the guy proudly proclaim he killed your sister and nieces/nephews the moment you are dying. That isn't a good death. That's like the ultimate "Fuck you". It's what he wanted but definitely not in the way he wanted it.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Nothing happens in Game of Thrones? Seriously? Allow me to present

The Continuum of Shows Where Shit Goes Down:

Lost <========================================> Game of Thrones

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So after a bit of thinking on Rhillor (or however the fuck that name is spelled) and Melisandre's bath scene, I've come to an interesting idea.

Melisandre has admitted that some of her powers were really just stage tricks.
    Like the bit about seeing the future in the flames? Yeah I believe she can do that. But that power alone explains how she's been able to pull of some of her "magic."

If you can predict that you'll be poisoned, then couldn't you conceivably dose yourself with the antidote before hand? Or palm it into your drink? Or keep a capsule in your mouth?
    And if you know that various kings are going to die ahead of time, then how do we know that her blood magic was anything other than an elaborate piece of acting? It also doesn't take a genius to realize that Stannis wants all his rivals dead.

Yeah, but...

shadow baby

Sure and zombie priest guy. But it really puts Melisandre in some perspective and helped tie up a few loose ends that have been nagging me.

The particular bit about royal blood also always bothered me since it's a non-explanation. A king's blood is indistinguishable from a peasant's. Even if you grant that Targaryean blood is magic dragon-controlling blood, then what about the blood of a presumptive King of the North? Why does the blood of a bastard boy of a king who was only distantly related to a Targaryean even count?

Then it occurs to me that maybe Melisandre is trying to fulfill a prophecy that only makes sense in her own head.
    Maybe it's just another piece of theater to enhance her stature. She's already burned people alive. Shanking a guy with a knife hardly makes a difference to her.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Bucho wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    That was a very entertaining episode with amazing action scenes. So much awesome in a single battle.

I feel like nothing happened though? We are basically back to square one minus the wildling force on the other side of the wall. Wildling army back in the trees, Crows waiting for another attack.

What I thought was gonna happen was that the wildlings would get to the wall and then the white walkers would show up and kind of save the crows from that particular slaughter. In fact, I think that may still happen.

So are there more Giants, or were those the only two?

We'd only ever seen one previously, the one Jon saw at the start of season three, but I find it unlikely that there were only two giants in their entire army.

Yup. As massive as the battle was Jon told Sam at the end that he reckoned the whole shebang had simply been a probing by Mance. Because of what Jon had told Mance (and because he took out the deserters at Crasters) Mance thought The Wall was much better defended, so he sent this jab to see what those defences entailed. Night 2 won't be a two-giant jab. It'll be a hundred-giant 10 punch combo.

Which reminds me ... why haven't they flooded the damn tunnel yet? All they need to do is block up the gates and let water gush into the space between. Matter of fact, of course they don't even need to dam the whole 100 yard tunnel. Just start with the first 10 feet and they'll slow Mance's raiders down orders of magnitude better than a gate will. Once the first 10 feet are done do the next 10. It's a couple hours work for a dozen men.

Do I have to think of everything?

This was what I thought, too. They might not be able to seal it up properly in the time available (I think Jon's plan was to pump water in there and wait for it to freeze, which would take time), but they could surely do something to reinforce it in the time available. Of course if they were able to seal the tunnel completely they'd also be sentencing Jon to death... but I think he's dead anyway. He gave his sword to Sam which seems like classic foreshadowing to me. I have no idea what Jon is hoping to accomplish from talking to Mance; he's obviously not going to just turn his army around and walk back towards the walkers no matter how persuasive Jon is. But nobody ever dies for no reason, so I figure he'll accomplish something (maybe killing Mance?) and then die for it. Then Sam will take up Jon's sword and become a badass in his place.

When When Jon asked Sam if he had a better plan I was literally yelling at him, "YOU already have a better plan Jon Snow!!! Even the Bossman said so!!! WHERE ARE YOU GOING YOU BEAUTIFUL FOOL?!?"

Besides, Jon's climbed the wall before, he can do it again. The second time you do something it's always easier. And either way, it'd be worth the sacrifice. It's what Grenn would have wanted.

Bucho on
  • Options
    The wildlings are supposed to be more complicated than a bunch of cannibal axe-dudes.
    I think it's safe to assume that some things got Hollywooded to stereotypes about women being lone spunky archers and whatnot.

well ygritte is a lone spunky archer, she's never going to be tormund being 90 pounds of white bread like she is, but she still racked up the highest body count short of the guy that let loose the scythe

there are tons of women in the regulars of the wildling army visible

Why aren't there more damn archers that aren't spunky lone scrawny women.

Well, look at from the directors standpoint. A scrawny 5'4 female actor taking on adult 5'11 male actor with close to a hundred pounds on her just doesn't look realistic. The lack of range, mass, and sheer weight difference would make any sort of hand to hand combat ridiculous. Just as putting a normal man next to The Mountains actor instantly shows that one of these people can't hurt the other, and the other can squish them like a bug.

Hence the scrawny girl with a bow and why the scrawny man fought the mountain with a pole arm. What's she going to do, punch a man to death? It wouldn't matter even if she connected before getting her face smashed in, she's too light to do any damage.

And yet scrawny Oberyn pwned the bejesus out of behemoth Gregor and looked the opposite of ridiculous. (Well, at least until he got megapwned by said behemoth, but that wasn't no damn size issue.)

Besides, as small-chick-who-would-literally-tear-a-Fenn's-arms-off Ronda Rousey once said: You know nothing Frenetic Ferret.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    loved just about everything in that episode- alliser being surprisingly rad, sam's no-scope, etc

only thing that bummed me out was how few dudes attacked the exterior of the wall. i get it's like, a skirmish type of episode- but it definitely didn't convey 'massive army' to me. sort of subverted the recurring 'hundred thousand', 'thousand to one' etc thing going on

This was not the army. This was just a small expedition to test the strenght, and even that one got pretty close..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Just got a chance to watch this most recent episode. Dang, I can't believe they had an episode that was just one giant fight basically. Not my cup of tea, I basically checked out mentally like half way through the episode but I am sure this was the palate cleanser that a lot of people needed after everything with Oberyn.

I am hoping this just means that the last episode of this season is ALL talking and character moments.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hell no, ALL talk is boring. Even this episode wasn't all fighting even though it keeps being called that. Actions speak louder than words, too. What next episode needs is a good mix, maybe weighted more towards talk, but still a mix.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Well if actions speak louder than words than I hope the entire next episode is told through interpretive dance then!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I still enjoyed this season to date, but I do think that in terms of overall storytelling, pacing and story arcs it may be the weakest. Some story strands I enjoyed for the character interaction but didn't feel it went anywhere; also, while I don't mind watching Dany and Jon Snow, I do think they (both the actors and the characters) are less interesting. Some people seem to take that sort of criticism as "Oh, you want everyone to be witty Tyrion, eh?", but that's rubbish. I find the people around Dany and Jon more engaging than they are, yet a lot of plot weight is put on their shoulders. Anyway, as strong as some of this season was (and there are moments that are up there with the best of the series), all in all it may be my least favourite so far. It may improve on a second viewing, though.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Thirith wrote: »
    I still enjoyed this season to date, but I do think that in terms of overall storytelling, pacing and story arcs it may be the weakest. Some story strands I enjoyed for the character interaction but didn't feel it went anywhere; also, while I don't mind watching Dany and Jon Snow, I do think they (both the actors and the characters) are less interesting. Some people seem to take that sort of criticism as "Oh, you want everyone to be witty Tyrion, eh?", but that's rubbish. I find the people around Dany and Jon more engaging than they are, yet a lot of plot weight is put on their shoulders. Anyway, as strong as some of this season was (and there are moments that are up there with the best of the series), all in all it may be my least favourite so far. It may improve on a second viewing, though.

I can't argue that Dany's S4 storyline hasn't felt somewhat water-tready, but at least it's not as bad as her S2 storyline, which was water-tready and shrill. And this has been the best Jon season so far, both in terms of Harrington's performance and in terms of the plotline having him come across as more than just a very pretty pinball being played by other people, so on those two characters alone S4 is third best at worst for me.

On the other hand it seemed like there was a ton more Bronn in S2, so fuck it, you're right.

Bucho on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Aioua wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    If only Westeros had invented some sort of walkie talkie so information communication between Top o'Wall to Castle Black wasn't delayed at the speed of elevator

Horn signals.
    Like, you think this would be a thing.
    Toot so many times for "need reinforcements back here" and so on.

The problem here is the Night's Watch have been adding to their horn system for too many generations:

1 for rangers returning
    2 for wildlings
    3 for white walkers
    4 for deep crows
    5 for the tax collector
    [...]
    247 for pick up a gallon of milk at moles town
    248 more reinforcements needed at the top of the wall
    240 more reinforcements needed at castle black.

250 actually we found some milk, don't bother

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Well, that was overall pretty awesome. Sam continues to prove he's one of the most awesome characters in the series.

Now if you'll excuse me, I find myself with the overwhelming urge to play Skyrim, though for the life of me I can't figure out why.

this is crazy talk

• Options
    Let's just say when I learned there was a GoT character whose name I practically shared, I was hoping for this:
    036.jpg

and when he first appeared, I realised he was this:
    tumblr_mcxrqg0ibP1rgi0z6o1_500.png

but with that last episode, he took another step back towards this:
    homertothemax_03.jpg

Keep on keepin' on, Tarly.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Sam should be dead and I think its stupid he isn't. When whatsherface super bow and arrow lady shot that other dude next to Sam through the neck, there is no reason for her to just stop, and not shoot Sam as well. But she just did, because Sam. Which I thought was dumb.

I don't know that other dudes name because I watched half of this episode on Mute since most of it was just fighting and nothing important during all of that mess was probably being said other than typical rah rah lets go fight the dudes speeches.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    This episode was kind of a slog, although there was some good spectacle. Part of the problem is simply that there aren't enough important characters on the Wall, and we never get enough time there. So when what's his face died or who's that bit it, I can't say I was all choked up. Likewise, the Ygritte plotline has gone nowhere since she last saw Jon, so after a long period of "yep, she's alive" check-ins I'm mostly relieved that that story is over.

One of the chief problems with the show overall is that almost every single individual storyline is egregiously paced, and Jon's Adventures At the Wall is one of the worst examples. And it doesn't help that Jon is just a boring character at this point. (Sam is good, though. All the Sam stuff here was good.)

Anyway, this wasn't a bad episode. Its failings belong to the show as a whole, and GoT is a show I'm increasingly unhappy with, although it continues to be fitfully great (last week's episode was fantastic).

I don't know if it's the characters involved or the actors involved. Cersei, Jamie, Joffrey, Tywin, Obeyrn, Varys, and all the other players at Kings Landing are really fun to watch. I always hate it when the show wanders off to what the dragon lady is doing or the wall. Nothing ever happens and none of the characters are all that compelling.

Nothing ever happens?!

I swear, it just boggles the mind, its like we are watching two different shows. Tons of shit happens with the Night's Watch and Daenerys 'dragon lady' Targaryen.

One is entitled to one's opinions, which I disagree wholeheartedly with that Emilia Clarke hasn't been rocking it, but its a straight up fallacy to claim nothing ever happens. You gotta be one jaded point of view to think that all this is "nothing": 'gifted' to a horse raiding warlord, brother is a dick, flips Drogo to do what she wants, impresses the shit out of Jorah and her maidens, dick bro gets a gold crown the hard way, makes a mistake with a witch by not wanting rape on the shoot n loot menu, gives birth to things of legend, convinces a city to let raiders right through the front door, fucks up wizards and con artists, gets the bad ass real deal old man white cloak, sails closer to her poorly thought out iron sword throne, convinces slavers to make a deal with a dragon (never make a deal with a dragon), gets one of the most bad ass group of infantry in the known world in their entirety, convinces mercenaries she is going to win, smokes a number of slave towns, convinces slaves to win her pyramid town, starts to think of more than just burn it all, learns of Jorah's duplicity, and the dragons just keep getting bigger... and that's the short list.

Come on now, seriously, none of the characters involved with all that, are at all compelling? Puh-leez.

Lots of things have happened to Daenerys. One time she got dragons! One time her dragons got stolen. Very little of her story is directed by her; she's very reactive. Somebody stole my dragons, what do I do? Somebody offered me ships, what do I do?* And many of the events of her storyline have been repetitive and/or provided no real progress on her goals or growth.

Moreover, up until literally last episode, every character in her plotline has been subordinate to her motivations--ie., her advisors want to help her succeed, her soldiers want to help her succeed, her Dothraki want to follow her and join in her success, etc. So when she makes no real progress toward her goal, the narratives of everyone around her become stagnant and boring. Yeah, it was cool when Ser Barrister showed up. Has he changed and grown since he's been with her? Gone through struggles, faced challenges, made hard choices, displayed relatable emotions? Not really. The same goes for everybody around her.

"The dragons keep getting bigger" is not an event, it's just a metaphor for that entire stupid side of the show. I'm sick of watching them do nothing at all, I want to see the resolution of the conflict that's been teased and foreshadowed and prophesied for four years now. 90% of the things on your list is the show treading water when the island of Sweet Dragon Battles is right over there, just swim towards it!

*This is true for most stories; the difference is that that those stories have compelling characters on both sides of the conflict, so instead of "the author put a Quarthful of dicks in this character's way to delay her plot" it feels like "Cersei, whom we know and hate, is framing Tyrion for a murder committed by another character we know and are interested in." Daenerys' conflicts always seem like "man versus author" instead of "man versus man" or "man versus nature."

Yes, really. Come on, our attention spans can't be that short as to be so reductive as to call things like Baristan finding out Jorah is a spy and the fallout from that not a challenge with hard choices or Baristan struggling with Dany not choosing his Paragon option with regards to the Masters and so on.

And worse is the notion that her deciding that part of her taking the Iron Throne is her actually knowing what to do with it once she sits her pretty arse down on it and letting her dragons grow to battle ready status ( which includes being big enough to ride on during flight and kill people ... and for a second there we wondered if Drogon had killed the shepherd's kid after he went all crispy critter on the Masters, but that's not progress from them riding in cages, ok... ) is somehow not intelligent progress towards her goal but instead 'treading water'.

Shit man, Stannis and Bran story line's tread way more water (literally in Stannis' case) with him hanging out on his island brooding and burning or look, Bran's in yet another non-descript snowy forest ... yet, no, of course its Dany who has conquered 4 cities when Stannis couldn't even take one after getting part of his dead brother's army, yeah its her who is treading water. Wait, wut?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Sam should be dead and I think its stupid he isn't. When whatsherface super bow and arrow lady shot that other dude next to Sam through the neck, there is no reason for her to just stop, and not shoot Sam as well. But she just did, because Sam. Which I thought was dumb.

I don't know that other dudes name because I watched half of this episode on Mute since most of it was just fighting and nothing important during all of that mess was probably being said other than typical rah rah lets go fight the dudes speeches.

Er, well hopefully you didn't mute the show too soon or the reason why she was on the move would be pretty obvious, amongst her stated goals of kill Night Watch in general was a very specific target, who didn't get down from the top of The Wall till later in the fight. You know, other than stopping in that place probably means some Night Watch sticks her with a sword she rolls out of the way of like a bad ass or makes her a great target for someone who puts an arrow in her.

Heh, I gotta watch that video again.
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here (S04E09 spoilers), courtesy of Reddit:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Why would Sam be dead...Pyp was sticking his head up above the wall to shoot at dudes, which gave her a clear shot. Sam was hiding beneath reloading the crossbows. She probably wouldn't have even known he was there. By the time he stood up the battle had progressed and she was probably sniping one of the many other targets.

but with this style of viewing I'm not surprised :/

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I see why some people think nothing happened.

I wonder if the constant emptiness of (most of) Hollywood's battle scenes have conditioned people to think a battle scene can't also move the story along.

• Options
    To be fair, plenty of the battle scenes in this episode were empty, named characters killing nameless characters or sometimes just straight nameless characters killing nameless characters. Between these "empty" scenes as you put them were plenty of scenes with character and plot development.

I liked that Sam was just reloading the crossbows, because that is how you would often use crossbows, a dedicated loader and a dedicated shooter (sometimes also with a dedicated guy carrying a huge shield, which Pyp could have benefited from, poor Pyp). Also because it fit Sam's character well and shows how he only becomes a warrior when he is absolutely forced to, like when he is being charged and has to react or die.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Sam is terrible, which is why he should be dead.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A decent episode, honestly. I like when the show can narrow the focus to just one plotline.

I'm not sure the episode had the most narrative demand, but it was a nice hour of television.

• Options
    #TeamTarly

I was not expecting to enjoy this episode after being left so emotionally wrecked after the last one (no joke, I think it hit me harder than anything else I've seen on TV), but it turns out I was wrong and I really enjoyed their one hour big budget battle blowout. Sure it wasn't wall-to-wall named characters talking and dying, but it was good to see a great big barney with a whole lot of mayhem, and I'm impressed that they managed to sustain it for that long without finding myself getting bored.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Sam is terrible, which is why he should be dead.

bite your tongue you goddamn monster

• Options
    I hated to see you-know-who bite it there at the end, but I was happy to have that plotline resolved.

This episode cut loose a lot of dead weight.

• Options
    Oh man, I am falling down the rabbit hole with GoT set to music, was this gem ever posted to the thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNLoeOIfc3o

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not in the camp of 'nothing happens', plenty has absolutely happened to a whole bunch of characters this series, but I do feel that as the scope broadens and more people and plotlines are introduced, it almost has the effect of zooming in on a fractal. Where in the first series it's mainly The Ill-Fated Adventures of the Family Stark and things move along at a fair clip because there's very little breadth to cover, you've now got characters who show up for five minutes then vanish for the next two/three episodes, and so it can feel like there's been no progress with them.

Oh and what the hell was the deal with the foreboding comet in series 1?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Series 2, if memory serves, and didn't it kind of anticipate the War of the Five Kings?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Series 2, if memory serves, and didn't it kind of anticipate the War of the Five Kings?

I thought it heralded the coming of baby Dragon Jesus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    It's an American show.

We have seasons here. Series is the entire show!

You get to divide Doctor Who into series, and we get to divide Game of Thrones into seasons.

• Options
    That's the good thing about signs and portents - you'll find a number of things they can refer to. I don't think there's any need to narrow it down for the purpose of the series. A big blood-red comet in the sky basically means, "Shit is gonna go down."

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    England doesn't have seasons, England has rain.

It's a foreign word to them.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    I'm not in the camp of 'nothing happens', plenty has absolutely happened to a whole bunch of characters this series, but I do feel that as the scope broadens and more people and plotlines are introduced, it almost has the effect of zooming in on a fractal. Where in the first series it's mainly The Ill-Fated Adventures of the Family Stark and things move along at a fair clip because there's very little breadth to cover, you've now got characters who show up for five minutes then vanish for the next two/three episodes, and so it can feel like there's been no progress with them.

I mentioned to someone the other day that if most of the characters' plots were their own movies, after four years now we'd only just now be through into the second act. That kind of pacing can be frustrating

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Oh and what the hell was the deal with the foreboding comet in series 1?

It meant half a dozen different things to half a dozen different people.

Clearly it meant that Hot Pie is the Chosen One who saves the realm.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    The opening credit scene for this episode should have started on the wall and just stayed there for 2 minutes.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    The opening credit scene for this episode should have started on the wall and just stayed there for 2 minutes.

Should've gone into the kitchen and showed the stove and shit rising up just like it builds the cities.

Then show that goddamned cleaver sitting on the table. Waiting there for the blood of wildlings.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Why would Sam be dead...Pyp was sticking his head up above the wall to shoot at dudes, which gave her a clear shot. Sam was hiding beneath reloading the crossbows. She probably wouldn't have even known he was there. By the time he stood up the battle had progressed and she was probably sniping one of the many other targets.

She looked right at him, and just stared at him for a bit. She had plenty of time to shoot him, and given how she'd be shown to be so fast and accurate with a bow there's no reason for her not to. Other than the fact that Sam has Plot Armor.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I am getting super bored of TV Tropes fans assigning everyone who isn't dead Plot Armour.

Isn't TV Tropes stuff against the rules anyway?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

She looked right at him, and just stared at him for a bit. She had plenty of time to shoot him, and given how she'd be shown to be so fast and accurate with a bow there's no reason for her not to. Other than the fact that Sam has Plot Armor.

No she didn't. Just watched it again. It's like a 15 second clip. He's behind the wall the whole time. This is a really silly point to hang your plot armor criticism hat on.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

She was also crouched in that one spot for at least 5 min of episode time

You could see her in the background, she was there until she spotted Jon if I recall

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
This discussion has been closed.