Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    hey guys, regarding battleheart legacy and melee

in the settings from the map, you can click a button that will auto-move you to your target. it made life a looooot easier.

but yeah, i too have been struggling quite a bit, but i found that around lvl 8 i was using paladin/warrior to do lots of dmg with the life-on-hit and +dmg buff, while tossing shieldwalls up and just being a big ol' tanky fart.

My melee dude is level 16 now, and I struggle to complete any dungeon around my level. My Ninja/Rogue and Monk are even worse. My new Ranger/Rogue is hilariously easy though.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    The first 2 episodes of Republique are free right now. It's a dystopia-setting stealth puzzler that gives me some bioshock vibes, though without so much of the shooting, and in 3rd person. The whole game is intended to be 5 episodes, and only two are out currently, and those two are free soo..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1o7oHq4BE

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Oh man I love some of the Necromancer skills in Battleheart Legacy... especially the mummy and making skeletons out of dead enemies...

• Options
    btw, I haven't seen any quests for quite some time in Battleheart Legacy... I'm level 20 right now and I think the last quest I had was when my level was in the early teens... I'm pretty much grinding my way through the map now.

Is this normal?

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    btw, I haven't seen any quests for quite some time in Battleheart Legacy... I'm level 20 right now and I think the last quest I had was when my level was in the early teens... I'm pretty much grinding my way through the map now.

Is this normal?

Yes, quests disappear after level 13 or so. You are left wandering the map and fighting through level appropriate stuff. I only have two gripes with the game (just beat it with a Necro/Wizard): Melee is totally terrible compared to ranged/pet classes and the quests disappear after 13 or so.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    ok my paladin/knight/bard is level 11 now - charm 1 dude, then activate the +50% dmg, +25% damage as life gain, and +chain lightning per swing, equip a dagger and stack +attack speed % .. infinite life, kill everything, never die, let the charmed idiot take the dmg for you.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Cool, but that led me to another Squinx gamed called Bloodmasque... Anyone heard of it? Has a unique gimmick in that you can take a picture of your face and put it on your character's face.

I'm expecting a plethora of litteral dick-heads in game.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

Cool, but that led me to another Squinx gamed called Bloodmasque... Anyone heard of it? Has a unique gimmick in that you can take a picture of your face and put it on your character's face.

I'm expecting a plethora of litteral dick-heads in game.

I've played it a bit, it's not bad. It's pretty much a mechanics-backwards Infinity Blade (Tap to attack, slash to evade) with more standard RPG character progression than IB's fully equipment driven character advancement. More interesting plot, but IB didn't really set the bar high there.

I like the clan system but it seems to be pretty ignorable, unfortunately, especially if you spend any time whatsoever grinding. You can pretty much set yourself to the gold/loot clan for a given mission and not worry about needing the damage boost or anything.

It has some other fun little mechanics like the stakes, and as freemium content goes, it really is completely optional. I hope Squeenix continues to flirt with that business model for some of their games, though I'm willing to pay full price for some of their other good original iOS content like Chaos Rings.

The mask thing is amusing. I used pictures of my toddler making faces.

It's worth the price of free.

Cog on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I just discovered a delightful puzzle/platform game called Leo's Fortune.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I just discovered a delightful puzzle/platform game called Leo's Fortune.

I believe the offer is still good from the publisher for a free iPad to anyone who can finish the game on Hardcore mode...

And yes, the game it great. A little too easy the first time around -- but it's fun to go back and try to three star all the levels.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Whoops, nevermind.

Darlan on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    The first chapter of Broken Age is available for the iPad for $10. Second chapter will be available as an IAP at some point.

Also the Angry Birds RPG is out, and I guess it's actually not bad? That's what I'm hearing at least.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lords of Waterdeep is a buck right now.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So Angry Birds Epic is actually pretty darn good. It's an RPG lite with just enough options and tactics to keep things interesting, plus it's gorgeously animated.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Its pretty good, but you kind of hit a wall if you dont have friends playing it, I have a weekly dungeon available and I'm supposed to borrow the 3rd bird from a friend instead of running my usual setup, problem is, none of my friends play this game at the moment.

You can also gain friendship essences (lets you reroll stuff), get free rolls on the Golden Pig machine (chance for really good gear, even stuff with set item bonuses) and get help to open some odd doors that lead to more treasure.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Finally gave A Dark Room a shot. Great little experience, and apparently I didn't even see all of its content. Ran through it in a few hours, which was about the perfect length.

• Options
    why arent you all playing dream quest right now?

do it, go buy that good thing.

i will literally eat my hat if a single one of you buys it and tells me it isnt the most engrossing thing you've ever played

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Oh wow. That is one ugly ass game.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ministry of Silly Walks game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KyqEl278ao

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Oh wow. That is one ugly ass game.

Yet its soooo goooooood

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I find the Gelatinous Cube to be the most annoying of first-level bosses. The fact that it heals itself while exiling your cards really makes the fight a toss-up, regardless of how good a deck you have at the time.

• Options
    Yeah the best bet is to lead with your a1's and try to grab a kick or something - it's not perfect but nearly all classes should be able to take him out with their first active

i too have been left with 0 cards in hand/deck and got cubed to death though, never pretty.

Dunno if its spoilery, but the professor + flee = hillarity. (ask me why)

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    Melee is totally terrible compared to ranged/pet classes and the quests disappear after 13 or so.

Eh, it comes down to how you build your toon. A 100 int 20 dex char dual weilding daggers and using flame weapon can 3 shot the final boss.

I've gone upwards of 300 kills in the arena with a hybrid (~30 in all stats) Ki Blast, Radiance, Wrath, Aura build. With the exception of bosses, Smoke bomb absolutely trivializes ranged attackers. The aoe spells definitely contribute to both dps and survival(knockdown) but frenzy Wrath is a thing to behold.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah the best bet is to lead with your a1's and try to grab a kick or something - it's not perfect but nearly all classes should be able to take him out with their first active

i too have been left with 0 cards in hand/deck and got cubed to death though, never pretty.

I've played it over and over again without winning. Still not actually sure what the endgame is.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    admanb wrote: »

I've played it over and over again without winning. Still not actually sure what the endgame is.

You don't ever win, you just do a little less bad each time.

The end game... man when you reach it, its just... I mean man I've got probably 40 hours logged and every time I make it there I -still- get badookadered.

I think some of the keys for me have been:

TRASH cards out of your deck asap - forego power for a smaller deck size if you ever can

You're building an engine, not a deck. If you've got cards in your deck that are dead draws, you're gonna have a bad time. Those early 3 mana cards like balm and stoneform and crap aint gonna cut it on floor 3 my man.

There is very little that you should ever buy on Floor 1 - extra actions or equipment slots i'd say are the only real choices

When you hit floor 2, unless you -really- need an extra equip slot or action, go ahead and take the level up! talent - that'll usually be around 25 xp worth which'll run you 90g at the lemonade stand - the other talents have around a 30g value so there you go - plus you get the benefits of having leveled up which are just gravy

Become familiar with the achievements - you can buy them with your points instead of earning them the hard way. Scout as much of the map as you can before engaging in combat or buying things - finding a tough elite and popping your cooldowns and then recharging on weaker enemies is a great strategy

What I'm currently doing - I unlocked the professor - I make my way through the first floor fighting as little as possible, then I engage the boss, copy some insane card out of his deck, "FLEE", kill a weak enemy, do it again. Rinse repeat.

I ended up with a deck with 12 enthralls from the vampire, it was hillarious. Same result with 3-wishes : )

If you need help making your favorite class work, I've gotten almost all of them to end game.

imdointhis on
  • Options
    That professor trick is nuts. I definitely know the value of a small deck as it's my favorite thing to do in any deck building game, but I hadn't thought about the value of the level up on the second floor.

As far as classes, I've gotten both Rogue and Samurai really far and I think I have a good grasp on them. Mage and Cleric I don't get as well (not really a fan of Cleric). Monk I have absolutely no idea what he's doing. Necromancer seems cool but I haven't had much luck so far.

• Options
    Monk is super powerful if you whittle your deck down to the point where you can just apply massive amounts of piercing damage poison and some recovery/defensive cards. Just avoid fighting a sphinx at all costs and you're golden.

• Options
    Monk is super powerful if you whittle your deck down to the point where you can just apply massive amounts of piercing damage poison and some recovery/defensive cards. Just avoid fighting a sphinx at all costs and you're golden.

Is that ever not the plan? I think I beat him once with a busted rogue deck, then I died to a fucking ambusher and paid to load, then got wrecked by the Sphinx.

• Options
    if u can't beat 'em, polymorph 'em.

also, wayyyyy too many powerful monsters are immune to fire and lightning damages.

most of the earth resistance monsters are chumps. someting to remember

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a decent pinball game?

I don't mind paying for it, and I'd like to avoid IAPs if possible.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think Jeff Gerstmann liked the Pinball Arcade. You get one table for free, the rest are bought in the app or something? Not sure.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Update for PvZ2 with new levels. Although it only seems like half a zone is released at the moment. (10 new levels or so?)

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent pinball game?

I don't mind paying for it, and I'd like to avoid IAPs if possible.

Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball are the two main iOS pinball games, but both use IAPs for additional tables. Get Pinball Arcade if you want recreations of real tables from the past, and Zen Pinball if you want games that push what's possible with the digital-only environment.

I haven't played a ton of either, but I think both let you try every new table for free with some limitations.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So, it sounds like Civ Rev 2 is pretty much only a graphical and UI improvement. Impressions I've read say the AI hasn't been improved at all, which is incredibly disappointing. On top of that, it's $15. I'd be fine with paying that for a proper sequel, but I don't think I can justify it for this.

• Options
    I don't really see why we can't at least get a Civ IV port by this point. I would think the hardware could even handle Civ V, especially if Metal is all it's said to be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    1. Why the hell isn't Star Realms out yet? :(

2. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! BLOOD BOWL IS COMIN TO IPADS!

• Options
    2. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! BLOOD BOWL IS COMIN TO IPADS!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

• Options
    Some interesting news regarding Ascension.

Stone Blade had decided to not reup their agreement with Playdek for the iOS app and decided to Kickstart their own version of the game called Ascension Online. The Kickstarter was successful, and eventually the app went into private beta. Beta testers of the app apparently didn't like it, and they wanted their old app back. Stone Blade acquiesced and have decided to 1) stop developing Ascension Online, 2) reunite with Playdek, thus preventing the old app from dying and being pulled from the app store, 3) will bring the Rise of Vigil expansion to the iOS app this summer, and 4) port the Playdek app to Android and PC. They're going to honor the Ascension Online Kickstarter backers somehow, but no details on that yet.

Pretty stunning reversal all in all, but I'm happy the old app is sticking around.

steam_sig.png