Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Plz be goeth to neweth thread

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    EDIT: Stargazing is actually awesome in Skyrim:
    BD2F7EF2B1AD29AE46A1FD5C48DAF6CDB57BCA7B
    Except for the fact that the shadows on the moons are at wildly different angles and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any astrological sense.

Then again, most of the celestial bodies are gods and demons that mortal minds can only comprehend as floating blobs in the sky, so whatever, man. Fuck it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Monger wrote: »
    EDIT: Stargazing is actually awesome in Skyrim:
    BD2F7EF2B1AD29AE46A1FD5C48DAF6CDB57BCA7B
    Except for the fact that the shadows on the moons are at wildly different angles and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any astrological sense.

Then again, most of the celestial bodies are gods and demons that mortal minds can only comprehend as floating blobs in the sky, so whatever, man. Fuck it.

The sun is a literal hole in the sky (as are the stars). Conventional astronomy is useless in Nirn.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I would also like to note that Astrological != Astronomical! You mean astronomical sense.

And sure, although sometimes shadows and light can behave a little oddly. My favourite thing are the beams of sunlight that come through clouds (IRL, I mean, not talking about Skyrim). They should all be straight down, right? But they're not. They behave as if the source of light is directly above the coulds.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fucking dragons and Dawnguard have teamed up against me now.

Need to find a mod that decreases dragon spawning, whether hard or easy, they appear way too often.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I'm having the opposite problem. I'm not getting enough dragons. Need more souls!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Dragonborn DLC was fun because a dragon would spawn every other time I went to the main settlement on Solstheim. Not only was it nice and dramatic because of the battlements, but there are archers everywhere so I could just sit back and let them arrow the thing out of the sky.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The Dragonborn DLC was fun because a dragon would spawn every other time I went to the main settlement on Solstheim. Not only was it nice and dramatic because of the battlements, but there are archers everywhere so I could just sit back and let them arrow the thing out of the sky.

My first playthrough there was a dragon EVERY TIME I quick traveled to the Arcane College. Considering that was my magic playthrough, there were literally dragon bones rolling through that place like tumbleweeds at times.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I had two dragons spawn in Solstheim the whole time I was there doing all the dragonborn stuff. I think I've fought maybe 5 random dragons in the 40 hours on my current character. :( I went straight to making sure they were active, too, at the start.

• Options
    Well, atleast the song never gets old.

Haaaa!~haaa!~haaa!~yeeeeeeeeeeeAH!

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I love the main theme.

That said, I use the Epic Music Overhaul. Made by the same guy that does Dragon Combat Overhaul and all the other Combat Overhauls.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The music overhaul has LOTR music in it!

Gotta be some questionable copyright issues there.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Are there any music overhauls that focus more on creepy/horrorish/darker themed tunes?

Went looking for one since I'm playing a blood sucker but I couldn't find one sadly.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I had two dragons spawn in Solstheim the whole time I was there doing all the dragonborn stuff. I think I've fought maybe 5 random dragons in the 40 hours on my current character. :( I went straight to making sure they were active, too, at the start.

How much of the main quest did you do?

I've found that the concentration of random dragon encounters has little to do with my level and lots to do with how far into the main quest I've gotten.

• Options
    I returned the horn of Jurgen ..... Windcaller? Somethingcaller and now I have to meet Delphine to get the quest to infiltrate that Thalmor party.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    If you use Deadly Dragons, you can have them attack you every x hours.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If you want a more controlled experience with dragons do the Main Quest until you get to A Blade in the Dark. Just start the quest by getting the horn back from Delphine and say no to listening her, so she doesn't suit up and head to Kynesgrove, letting her hang out at the inn. At this point (or maybe even during the greybeards horn quest), the game will stop practically all random dragon encounters, to order to not have Delphine see you slay another dragon besides Sahloknir during the course of Blade in the Dark. However, there will now be dragons at Word Walls now.

This is how far I go into the main quest whenever I start a new character now, you get the full Unrelenting Force shout and dragons will not attack anywhere randomly but still appear fixed word wall locations.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I swear that next time I start a new game I will not become a slave to the smithing tree. I swear I spend more time funneling iron into daggers than doing anything else and the enemies just level up against my gear anyway.

SPERG's addition of being able to melt down those daggers to get iron back out is both helpful and a reminder of how stupid the whole idea of assembling so much junk is.

No way I'm giving up enchanting though. Non-custom magic weapons are almost always unusable due to limited charges.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Apocalypse magic has steadily been becoming a top mod in my list of favorites.

I really love how it covers a bunch of different bases in each school of magic if you want to specialize in just one (or two) with for example both restoration and illusion having their own damage dealing spells.

One in particularly I've really grown to love is the illusion spell "evil twin". For as long as you keep it up, it generates illusionary clones of your enemies in the room that will attack them.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I really love how it covers a bunch of different bases in each school of magic if you want to specialize in just one (or two) with for example both restoration and illusion having their own direct damage dealing spells.

One in particularly I've really grown to love is the illusion spell "evil twin". For as long as you keep it up, it generates illusionary clones of your enemies in the room that will attack them.

I was thinknig about that one

If I disabled the magic tree is it capablible with SPERG?

• Options

I really love how it covers a bunch of different bases in each school of magic if you want to specialize in just one (or two) with for example both restoration and illusion having their own direct damage dealing spells.

I don't use SPERG or any perk tree overhauls myself but Apocalypse only adds new spells, it doesn't tinker with the trees by adding, removing or editing any of the perks as far as I know.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I actually turn off all the music. Getting background music just feels so... artificial to me, in this game. Vastly prefer the music coming only from environmental sources like bards.

• Options

I use Apocalypse with SPERG, no disabling necessary! It is quite a nice list of spells, even though I don't actually play full mage-types... I find all kinds of nifty utility spells in my travels, like one that lets me run much faster while I maintain the spell. I like when magic is good even for non-mageys to have.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I used TES5Edit to fix the main vanilla files, but left the mods uncleaned as instructed. I also enabled logs so that I could hopefully find out which mod is causing me to keep crashing around Whiterun.

I uploaded the error report, as it was too large to paste here. I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me about this can pinpoint what's causing these errors and what I need to fix it.

Help, as always, is appreciated.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I used TES5Edit to fix the main vanilla files, but left the mods uncleaned as instructed. I also enabled logs so that I could hopefully find out which mod is causing me to keep crashing around Whiterun.

I uploaded the error report, as it was too large to paste here. I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me about this can pinpoint what's causing these errors and what I need to fix it.

On my phone so I can't tell if that error report has a load order. What direction are you approaching Whiterun from? I'm also thinking scripted events. From the south the companions attack a giant. From the north you meet Cicero.

Also I'll give Obis a try when I get back to my computer.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Are you running something that also contains the fabled memory fix (IE ENBoost)? I'm pretty sure crashes near whiterun can be caused by the bug that the memory fix fixes.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    ENBoost is a good idea for a heavily modded game anyway.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options

I'm seeing some stuff in there that looks like files are missing, specifically the 101Bugs mod by 83Willows. You also just appear to have installed several mods which are all very script-heavy, like OBIS, CCO, Immersive NPCs in the Dark, Wet and Cold, Frostfall, Moonlight Tales, etc. I've had to filter many of these mods out because they tend to do 'scans' for other mods periodically. I have no idea why they need to keep scanning for mods once the game is loaded since I'm not installing them while playing, but it's probably some weakness in Papyrus. Anyhow, a mod that does this isn't necessarily causing problems, but when you have several mods doing this, it really begins to choke your script engine.

What is causing it to crash around Whiterun? It might be a missing or broken mesh, and nothing to do with Papyrus at all. I noticed last night that I have something crashing me right outside Falkreath, but only if I approach the town from a rather specific direction. Or it could be something trying to run from an unloaded cell at the end there, which could mean the cell has crashed or the like. I also once had a problem where I'd crash consistently when trying to leave Markarth, and that turned out to be the Skyrim Flora Overhaul mod... I switched to the basic version and that cured the problem.

So anyways, one good place to start is by running Script Scalpel... that will at least clean up any mods with unattached script instances (game is looking for stuff that isn't there) and other problems. If the game continues crashing at that specific spot though, the issue gets way more difficult to find.

• Options

I don't use SPERG or any perk tree overhauls myself but Apocalypse only adds new spells, it doesn't tinker with the trees by adding, removing or editing any of the perks as far as I know.

Yeah think I'm going to just run SPERG in hardcore with apocalypse for extra spells. And for the challenge using ASIS and Improved AI to give the enemies access to those spells and perks. Mixing skill tree mods sounds like it'd be a nightmare for balancing.

So my ENB'd install looks great but its a little stuttery. Is optimizing textures worthwhile? Or should I just turn off SSAO in the ENB settings?

• Options
    Yeah SSAO is really taxing on your system. It's awesome for pretties, but with HD textures and an ENB, you probably won't miss it too much.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yep, SSAO, skylighting and depth of field are the ones to consider turning off first.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    you can also try turning down the quality on SSAO and things to increase performance, but I usually kill SSAO outright as it just destroys performance.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you're using DOF, consider using the Dynavision Mod, which is Mod Configuration enabled, rather than ENB's DOF solution. It's a lot more convenient for tweaking (and you can shut it off at will as well).

• Options
    I killed SSAO and my exterior FPS went from 25 to 35 barely notice the difference

i ran the texture optimizer and it made a pretty decent difference too.

• Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Welp, it's happened. My main character can't return to Skyrim from Solstheim, or she'll get the endless loading screen glitch. Oh well. I could download that Familiar Faces mod, save her, and bring her to my next character. Still, I'll never get to complete the main quest at this rate. 4th character, and still haven't made it past Alduin's Wall.

For those interested. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54509/?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I hate this thing where all the stuff you put in your house just flies around every time you re-enter it. Normally it's just my display cases have opened and all the weapons are on the floor. But this time my god damn Auriel's Bow has vanished from the weapon rack and is nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure it's gone forever.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    player.additem is your friend.

I strongly advocate the console to fix any weird fuckups that happen.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I hate this thing where all the stuff you put in your house just flies around every time you re-enter it. Normally it's just my display cases have opened and all the weapons are on the floor. But this time my god damn Auriel's Bow has vanished from the weapon rack and is nowhere to be found. I'm pretty sure it's gone forever.

In case you weren't aware that's a result of the game running faster than the physics engine would like it to. You can cap your FPS at 60 using ENB configs which will solve the issue.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Now there was a trick to making sure your shit never exploded everywhere, but I forget what it was. Something to do with picking things up again, or maybe just moving them a certain way? I forget.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Oh that's neat. But I'm pretty much at the end of the game anyway so I doubt I'll bother now.

Is there a way to rotate items by the way? It took me a long time to get the mask of clavicus vile to stand upright in the middle of my table. And then of course it flew off onto the floor the next time I came in.

I always just blame it on the damn kids.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif