Options

[Batman] - Arkham Knight - Delayed to 2015

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't really mind a delay. 2014 is a bit too soon for the fourth game in the Arkham trilogy, so I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it until 2015 anyway.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I still need to play Arkham Origins so I'm pretty okay with a delay.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    "And should you contemplate resorting to mundane vehicular manslaughter, be aware that Rocksteady is a step ahead of you there, too. When enemies approach the Batmobile on foot, they'll be flung away by the ring of tasers that line the vehicle's perimeter. All the bases are covered. Batman may be driving around with a minigun on the roof, but he's still a peacenik at heart."

*Batman's fists still deliver permanent brain damage.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, cause when the Batmobile zips by at 80mph and a mook gets flung away by electricity, that's not gonna cause any serious harm ;P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Yeah, cause when the Batmobile zips by at 80mph and a mook gets flung away by electricity, that's not gonna cause any serious harm ;P

Batman game logic => "Guns and knives are lethal but punching and kicking is ALWAYS nonlethal, no matter how you do it. ...... Also you're allowed to hit them with pipes, those are also nonlethal."

New game logic => "Hitting someone with your car is lethal, but hitting them with the tasers mounted to your bumper at full speed is much less dangerous."

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Guys.

The Batman would never hit a pedestrian.

They're just trying to work out ways for you to not fail too horribly at being Bats.

Because lets face it, none of us are gonna not hit somebody.

Delays are okay with me. More polish = :^:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    He sets his fists to 'stun'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Ultra violence that people walk away from whole and hearty instead of crippled for life has always been a staple of comic books so that doesn't really bother me too much.

I found it really funny when the game would bug out on the interrogation animation in AC where he drops them over a rail with a rope attached.
    Bugged dudes didn't get a rope....

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Reminds me of a Shadowrun quote,

"I hit the guy with my spurs (Wolverine-like claws anyone can get)."

But the target is suppose to be alive.

"I use the flat of my spurs."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

Reminds me of a Shadowrun quote,

"I hit the guy with my spurs (Wolverine-like claws anyone can get)."

But the target is suppose to be alive.

"I use the flat of my spurs."

That's always good in Soul Calibur. Someone sticks a sword right through their opponents chest, multiple times, then you get the victory quote:
    "I used the flat of the blade. You'll live."

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    that cannon on the batmobile must be using those new non-lethal 60mm high explosive shells ive been hearing so much about

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Does that mean the Arkham series are actually Batman simulators? Only with less realistic consequences?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Listen, if it's a game where you can play as Batman and hitting innocent people is possible, it's not a true Batman game.
    That's like making a TMNT game where they don't love pizza. Who would do that?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Guys.

The Batman would never hit a pedestrian.

They're just trying to work out ways for you to not fail too horribly at being Bats.

Because lets face it, none of us are gonna not hit somebody.

Delays are okay with me. More polish = :^:

Basically, Rocksteady isn't trying to find a way about Batman being Batman.

They're trying to find a way around gamers being gamers.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    That's why the games rarely have civilians too.

They know what you would do to them.

You bastards.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I assume that mini-gun mounted on the Batmobile shoots ping pong balls or something.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Did they ever make an announcement for this year?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    It was originally slated for October I believe.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    ...so I got Arkham Origins on the Steam sale, and finally finished downloading it, and I'm in the tutorial having some controls trouble. Theoretically the controls for gadgets are the same as in the previous Arkham games - right mouse to prepare the gadget, then left mouse to use it. Except that trying to do that has Batman throw a punch. Sometimes if I do right button and then middle button he throws the batarang, sometimes he doesn't.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    ...so I got Arkham Origins on the Steam sale, and finally finished downloading it, and I'm in the tutorial having some controls trouble. Theoretically the controls for gadgets are the same as in the previous Arkham games - right mouse to prepare the gadget, then left mouse to use it. Except that trying to do that has Batman throw a punch. Sometimes if I do right button and then middle button he throws the batarang, sometimes he doesn't.

Has this happened to anyone else?

So, I logged into the game for you to take a look myself.

There was definitely something that was f'ed up and it may be WB's idiotic developers at it again. When I was in the Batcave I couldn't press W to walk forward. The only buttons that were working were left, right, and backwards.

Also, you should be able to hold right click and then throw the batarang, that is how it's supposed to work.

To fix this, I did a training simulator challenge map and got my controls back to normal. Try this to see if it will get your game functioning normally again.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Problem is that since I can't finish the tutorial (because I can't use the explosive gel) I don't HAVE any combat simulator stages unlocked!

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That sounds really odd. Is there a wireless controller plugged into your PC that's on an unstable connection? I'm having trouble seeing anything else that could cause the controls to work only every now and then.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah if you have any controllers plugged in, disconnect it. If it's still not working with the keyboard and mouse combo, I'd try to re-bind the keys in the controls. If that doesn't work then try to do the STEAM verify integrity bit. If that doesn't work, then go nuclear and reinstall from scratch.

Edit: Aaaaah! I have a Geth icon. Am I marked for death!?

Edit part 2: Whew, it's gone now.

Edit part 3: Aaaaah! [Resumed]

masterthehero on
    hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    No...

No it's not...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    All my controllers were unplugged afterwards, yes. Tried rebinding, tried verifying, no results.

Man, I would really prefer not to have to reinstall. It took me four days to download this game.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Could you play that part with a controller?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a 360 controller around. See if I can unlock the training missions and try masterthehero's idea.

Worth a try, I guess, much as I prefer playing the Arkham games on keyboard.

• Options
    It's these issues that STILL plague the game that really piss me off about WB Montreal. Those guys were obviously rookies given reins to a franchise that needs top talent working on it. I wonder if anyone else has been having this problem, I doubt WB will fix it anyway.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Well, trying the challenges didn't work. So right now it's either playing the game with a controller or not at all. And seeing that after ten minutes playing it with a controller I wanted to strangle someone...

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Some Arkham Origins thoughts:
    - I dig the batsuit a lot, even though I prefer longer ears
    - Love Alfred
    - Fuck yes Batcave
    - These crimescene things are neat
    - I like the design of the new Gotham areas
    - That bridge is a pain in the ass, must hide a loading screen
    - The Dark Knight Challenge system is really badly set up
    - A lot of these gadgets aren't exactly great
    - Cool, more Gordon
    - Unf. Copperhead.
    - Alberto Falcone, oh shit
    -
    Black Mask really got wasted in this. His design is fantastic, but he's lame as fuck.
    -
    The Joker sequence is brilliant, love Troy Baker's Mark Hamill impression,

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Pretty much all of that CaptNemo.

It was cool seeing Gotham before it became Arkham/destroyed and even though it was pretty obvious a rehash in places (painfully so sometimes) it was still good. Just all those damn bugs/glitches.

I'm glad I never encountered any but damn.

I really wish games didn't do the whole linear unlock like the DK Challenges (Aliens CM was another that did this). Just make it so that if I get X/Y/Z number of challenges completed I get my shiny, not "do them in this order ONLY or they don't count." And of course make it so that the Predator challenges can be completed on challenge rooms, because otherwise, what's the freakin point?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    It wouldn't be so bad if predator rooms respawned after the game ended, but of course, they don't. Guess that's for NG+ or something.

I wish the game still had riddles. I know the timeframe is wrong for them, but they were the most interesting part of the Riddler challenges, without them you just have lame puzzles.

The Shiva and Deadshot fights were really lame, but the Slade, Copperhead, and Bane fights were awesome.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm working through Cold, Cold Heart right now, but I finished AO's campaign last week. I really liked the plot. I really liked the plots of the previous games too, but this one felt a little more cohesive. I appreciated the character and plot driven moments quite a bit. The previous games took you from one action sequence to another, whereas AO actively took you out of the action at times to get you to interact with some of the characters. And I loved how alive Gotham felt compared to AC. There is a lot to do in the overworld in AO.

I thought a lot of the campaign predator rooms were more fun. You could pretty easily beat all of the AA and AC rooms by chilling on the vantage points long enough, but it seemed like mobs in AO rarely pathed under them. Boss fights were generally fantastic. And difficult. I had to replay the first one a few times, but some of that may have been because I was rusty. Bane though, if that fight didn't have a checkpoint in it I would have been fucked. As I'm sure everyone has already said, the Deathstroke fight was awesome.

Grapneling around Gotham isn't as smooth as it was in AC. AC had some very clear routes once you found them, but AO had a lot of crap on the roofs of buildings that prevented smooth flight. I'm pretty sure it was possible to grapnel from one side of AC's overworld to the other without interruption, but that's impossible to do in AO's version of north Gotham.

I might be insane, but north Gotham felt like it was flipped compared to AC. Like, I thought for sure the museum and nearby glass covered tunnels were on the eastern side of AC's map, whereas they're on the western side of AO's.

Never experienced any serious bugs. I had one instance where a mob was frozen in a semi-standing instance after an encounter, but that was it. The combat system in general felt a bit unrefined, I guess?, compared to the other games. I struggled with timing the whole way through, especially with blade takedowns. I just cannot do a blade takedown in this game, whereas I never really had any difficult with them before.

Aside from watching the trailer when it came out, I'd been avoiding stuff about AK. Couldn't resist reading a little bit about it over the weekend though, and that's the last I'll be doing of that. I have a pit in my stomach from how badly I want to play it.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Gliding is one of my favorite parts of both games. You can still glide uninterrupted in north Gotham the routes have just changed a bit. There's more things on the side of buildings to grapple onto to make up for the stuff on roofs.
    Even the bridge, you go under it, there's objects under there that are perfectly spaced for gliding and objects near the end of each bridge on the side that bring you back up to the city level.

One thing I really liked about Origin's level layout is the increased density of both cities meant all the time and effort I spent in AC getting really good at gliding wasn't wasted. Nothing like knowing exactly how to do a dive with a twist to level out into any angle.

You guys know the AC challenge room (and predator level) which was underneath Wonder tower? The one with the elevator right in the middle.

I did a dive off one of the gargoyles, did a mid air twist and swooped underneath the whole length of the underside of that elevator/walkway area to land lightly behind the last guy left once. Then I stood there until he turned around before taking him down.
    I loved that moment. There was nowhere I could have been hiding and no way I could have run the whole length since the last time he'd turned away from me.
    Only being able to glide that well let me do that. Watching him freak out felt so good.

I had moments like that all over AO's more complicated air space.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I did a dive off one of the gargoyles, did a mid air twist and swooped underneath the whole length of the underside of that elevator/walkway area to land lightly behind the last guy left once. Then I stood there until he turned around before taking him down.
    I loved that moment. There was nowhere I could have been hiding and no way I could have run the whole length since the last time he'd turned away from me.
    Only being able to glide that well let me do that. Watching him freak out felt so good.

That gives me an idea for a crazy feature I'd kinda like to see; Goon-vision replays. Kinda like the replays on Mario Kart 8, but you just follow an enemy for the last few seconds before you took them down, but you get it from their perspective.
    Just walking a patrol, then a floor grate moves and everything goes black. Cut to the guy who investigates, when suddenly everything goes upside down and you're hanging from a gargoyle. Cut to the guy looking at the new wall hanging decoration, and that looks like a batara-

• Options
    edited July 2014

That gives me an idea for a crazy feature I'd kinda like to see; Goon-vision replays. Kinda like the replays on Mario Kart 8, but you just follow an enemy for the last few seconds before you took them down, but you get it from their perspective.
    Just walking a patrol, then a floor grate moves and everything goes black. Cut to the guy who investigates, when suddenly everything goes upside down and you're hanging from a gargoyle. Cut to the guy looking at the new wall hanging decoration, and that looks like a batara-

That would be so sexy.

So sexy.

I would work so hard to be perfect instead of merely completing the challenge if I had something like that to reward me.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Some Arkham Origins thoughts:
    - I dig the batsuit a lot, even though I prefer longer ears
    - Love Alfred
    - Fuck yes Batcave
    - These crimescene things are neat
    - I like the design of the new Gotham areas
    - That bridge is a pain in the ass, must hide a loading screen
    - The Dark Knight Challenge system is really badly set up
    - A lot of these gadgets aren't exactly great
    - Cool, more Gordon
    - Unf. Copperhead.
    - Alberto Falcone, oh shit
    -
    Black Mask really got wasted in this. His design is fantastic, but he's lame as fuck.
    -
    The Joker sequence is brilliant, love Troy Baker's Mark Hamill impression,

Overall I felt that (story spoils)
    Origins could of been broken up into two games. I was really interested in Batman before Joker, and a gallery of rouges we have not seen much of. But then Joker and Riddler take center stage.

It's odd. Story wise I felt they were too afraid to deviate from what Rocksteady had already done.

But from a technical standpoint, it's clear they were out of their league.

So half the game is me wanting the devs to be bolder, and the other half feels like they bit off more than they can chew.

• Options
    Fair point. I do wish the assassins had a larger role in the over all plot. Having Croc count as one of them even though you defeat him in the tutorial was really lame, so was delegating two of them to side missions.

That said, the Electrocutioner fight is one of the finest boss fights in the Arkham series. The way he combos out of an AoE necessitating you to learn how to dodge and counter in one motion is really brilliant. Having to distract him by hitting the cameras to show off the cockney minion's legs was a clever way to end the first part of the fight. But the second part? Now that's some cheap bullshit. When he starts zapping the water under the ice to make lightening geysers you have to refreeze via the vents? What a pain in the ass. Phase 3 wasn't too bad, what with him being a lot more vulnerable after you shatter his arm via that torpedo.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Fair point. I do wish the assassins had a larger role in the over all plot. Having Croc count as one of them even though you defeat him in the tutorial was really lame, so was delegating two of them to side missions.

That said, the Electrocutioner fight is one of the finest boss fights in the Arkham series. The way he combos out of an AoE necessitating you to learn how to dodge and counter in one motion is really brilliant. Having to distract him by hitting the cameras to show off the cockney minion's legs was a clever way to end the first part of the fight. But the second part? Now that's some cheap bullshit. When he starts zapping the water under the ice to make lightening geysers you have to refreeze via the vents? What a pain in the ass. Phase 3 wasn't too bad, what with him being a lot more vulnerable after you shatter his arm via that torpedo.

Wait what?

Electrocutioner we went down after one punch. Did I miss something?

Joolander on
This discussion has been closed.