Options

oh shit I didn't realize it was time for [chat]

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Ech, I hate that unclear stat stuff. BlitzBall in FFX was the worst for it; opponent has 7 attack and I have 12 defence, but the opponent successfully steals the ball anyway? No, no fuck you, that's not how numbers do.

It's very clear once you know why it works that way, it's never arbitrary, but it can seem that way when you don't know how some of the vital underlying mechanics work.

The one that Cyanide fucked up the worst is Assists and TZs. Tackle Zones are a critical component of Blood Bowl (it's the eight squares adjacent to a dude, his "threatened space" in D&D terms) and being in a guy's TZ or moving out of his TZ has all kinds of specific effects to it and fully none of this is explained or even indicated in the video game. I think there might be a button to turn on a UI aid to indicate where TZs are but that's the most you get?

It doesn't at all explain to you how TZs interact with each other, and why on some things they stack and don't negate each other (like Dodge attempts) while on some things they do, but in incredibly specific ways (like Assists). If you don't understand how TZs work you will lose all of your games, guaranteed, and it's something the game doesn't explain to you or show you or talk about in its little corner blurb that says what all the rolls were.

But if you learn how it works on your own because it gets explained to you and shown to you by other people or Youtube tutorials or whatever, then it's actually fairly consistent once you understand all the ins and outs and once it becomes second-nature you get pretty decent at the game.

Just in terms of poorly thought out UI, it amazes me that they preserved all the dice-rolling aspects of it (instead of just being like, you have a 50% chance to succeed at this).

And yet

They make it really hard to actually then see what dice result you end up getting

Like clearly bloodbowl the table game, fun game, well designed.

Bloodbowl the computer game, as an adaptation, is kind of a piece of shit.

Still worth buying! Still fun! But god damn cyanide you guys suck at this.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Hm the tip of my finger is mysteriously swelling and hurts a little when I push on the side of it. Hmmm

amputate

better safe than sorry

Gonna give it a day. Pray on it. Etc.

Sounds like what happened with me with an in-grown toe nail.

@Gonmun‌ what else happened? The source of the inflammation seems to be right at the edge of the cuticle too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    kickstartmart.jpg

i hope you guys will be derisive as hell when i kickstart my own thing.

Because if you aren't, i'll know you guys are hypocritical and only support me because you like me as a person.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    disclaimer: I think Israel is being a massive asshole about all this but Hamas is also being dicks and also kinda stupid or dishonest

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    the person that made that comment is kickstarter is dumb

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I can't call a game good if a prerequisite of learning to play it is "wait for someone to come online and we will show you"

Why not?

I feel that if a game cannot provide a tutorial that at least allows you to play itself, it is not good

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i have really started to dislike the oatmeal

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Macs are a real pleasure to program on.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tav wrote: »

it seems your first mistake was ever liking the oatmeal

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    All the benefits of linux without having to run linux.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hm the tip of my finger is mysteriously swelling and hurts a little when I push on the side of it. Hmmm

amputate

better safe than sorry

Gonna give it a day. Pray on it. Etc.

Sounds like what happened with me with an in-grown toe nail.

@Gonmun‌ what else happened? The source of the inflammation seems to be right at the edge of the cuticle too

I've had this exact thing I think!

Fingertip got swollen and a bit hurty, by the side of the nail.

(I went around occasionally poking it until it became apparent where the best place to poke a hole in it was, then I drained the swelling)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

Why's that?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @shalmelo‌ @Kana‌ @Pony‌ @Rear Admiral Choco

Four excellent reports. Those all sounded like fun games.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh and @Pony‌

So Dee has reminded me of the ongoing saga of Robotech Tactics has taken a surprising turn. The sprues have all been shown for the minis and they appear to actually work. Factories in China may even be producing them. The surprising point is that it hasn't taken them 12 years. But being Palladium they have managed to fuck it up. The first few shipments will be going to Gencon for sales there first. Some other RPGs have done this, and I can understand the reasoning why. But unlike most companies that have done this, they aren't giving the Kickstarter backers the option to pick up their copy at Gencon. The backers have been informed that this will not be the case for Robotech Tactics.

As you can imagine, this was not greeted with the loud cheering noises Palladium expected.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    rRHbxae.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/blackest-is-the-new-black-scientists-have-developed-a-material-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

Scientists develop material that reflect less than .05% of light. That's a crumpled piece of a aluminum foil coated in the stuff. It's not flat.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    AutoCAD has a mac version now

it is an utter pain to use

I mean, it is more of a pain to use than regular AutoCAD

You're breaking my ability to imagine things.

Like, do you have to type the damn commands in baudot code or some shit?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I can't call a game good if a prerequisite of learning to play it is "wait for someone to come online and we will show you"

Why not?

I feel that if a game cannot provide a tutorial that at least allows you to play itself, it is not good

There's a difference between "well-made" and "fun".

Plenty of games that are poorly made are still extremely fun.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Why not?

What about a comprehensive manual? Baldur's Gate is a good game with a half-inch thick manual and no in-game tutorial.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Oh

I get it Kedinik.

Don't like the murder team's game.

Alright.

• Options

Why not?

I think those are entirely separate

the game is good or not; the tutorial and ease of learning is something else

like, say, chess, it's just as good a game with or without a manual, you're just not gonna get anything out of it until you learn it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've had the game for two fucking days.

I was looking at buying this and was all $30 dollars? Nah...but then you had to be a good guy and take one for the team.

Thanks!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

Why not?

example: your favorite edition of D&D, unless it's also my favorite

• Options
    AutoCAD has a mac version now

it is an utter pain to use

I mean, it is more of a pain to use than regular AutoCAD

You're breaking my ability to imagine things.

Like, do you have to type the damn commands in baudot code or some shit?

starting to use it, I should say

finding the button you need is torture

once you know how it is a breeze, but the program is 15 years or so and they've never ever removed any button

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    tl; dr everybody buy blood bowl sets

get yo shit painted

let's do this

Here we have the Maledor Manticores by a friend of mine.

9530822449_0863794fa7_z.jpg

• Options
    Work is stupid. Why do we have to suffer through it?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Why not?

What about a comprehensive manual? Baldur's Gate is a good game with a half-inch thick manual and no in-game tutorial.

Also it was sold separately.

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    rRHbxae.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/blackest-is-the-new-black-scientists-have-developed-a-material-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html

Scientists develop material that reflect less than .05% of light. That's a crumpled piece of a aluminum foil coated in the stuff. It's not flat.

Oh my god, I need more angles of that.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    greetings nerd lords

guillermo del toros vampire show the strain just aired its first ep

is it any gud we wonder

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

you failed your privileged throw and have to roll a pay check

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    disclaimer: I think Israel is being a massive asshole about all this but Hamas is also being dicks and also kinda stupid or dishonest

All war and nationalism and individuality is distraction from universal oneness fyi hth

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Crytek and Bethesda have proven a million times over that well-made and fun are completely independent properties when it comes to video games.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Why not?

This is true. I freakin' loved Armageddon Empires. But holy crap was the UI lame. But that's because the dude was focused on the ruleset and game balance. He didn't know much about UIs and did the best he could. Still a great value though. Got a TON of play out of that game.

I wish his next game had been as interesting. But I didn't care for it as much as AE at all.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Fuck blood bowl. Stupid cheating fucking AI.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Blood bowl 75% off?

How can i compete with that?

oh goddamnit steam

NOW you put it on sale

where do you guys see it on sale? it's showing up full price to me

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

you failed your privileged throw and have to roll a pay check

2/10

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    rRHbxae.jpg

Oh my god, I need more angles of that.

26o3M4w.jpg
    GWKs20l.jpg

• Options
    Play TF2 and shoot at each other instead

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    @Pony‌

Press 'G' to turn on visible tackle zones. I pretty much always have them up, but it only shows the opposing team's TZs, not your own.

• Options
    Play TF2 and shoot at each other instead

Pfft.

i'd rather teleport bread all week-end.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Blood bowl 75% off?

How can i compete with that?

oh goddamnit steam

NOW you put it on sale

where do you guys see it on sale? it's showing up full price to me

Are you in the US? I picked it up just a few minutes ago.

This discussion has been closed.