As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

oh shit I didn't realize it was time for [chat]

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    that super black material was indeed made of carbon nanotubes

that rules out the "bitching little black dress" idea since carbon nanotubes are like hyper-asbestos
    Only if you inhale them.
    Do CNT structures tend to flake?

No idea. Can't imagine they wouldn't though.
    I mean, the point of CNT is that they're crazy strong thanks to their molecular structure. Seems like flaking would be counter to that.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    man being the last state to legalize gay marriage

that's going to be awful and hilarious at the same time

it will be like confederate flag toters claiming they are building a city on the hill

a lone beacon of ignorance awash in a sea of acceptance

I am so ashamed that I spent the majority of my formative years in NC.

Where I lived wasn't bad per se, but that state is trying to take the crown for derpiest state in the union the past few years and it is just depressing.

My mom moved there about a decade a go. She would not shut up about how low the taxes were. Now she's starting to see she getting what she paid for.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I can't call a game good if a prerequisite of learning to play it is "wait for someone to come online and we will show you"

Why not?

I feel that if a game cannot provide a tutorial that at least allows you to play itself, it is not good

What about a comprehensive manual? Baldur's Gate is a good game with a half-inch thick manual and no in-game tutorial.

Also it was sold separately.

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

I challenge anyone to properly use the Dual Class (not multi class) options for any of the 2nd ed D&D games using only the information in their provided manuals.

You. will. fuck. it. up.

To be fair, a lot of people fucked it up with access to the complete line of 2nd Ed books. It's one of the more head scratchingly wonky things about D&D and that's saying something.

Complete guide to Elves is one of my favorite "worst things" TSR ever published.

So very borken, and written as basically a powergamer's love letter to elves.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    that super black material was indeed made of carbon nanotubes

that rules out the "bitching little black dress" idea since carbon nanotubes are like hyper-asbestos
    Only if you inhale them.
    Do CNT structures tend to flake?

No idea. Can't imagine they wouldn't though.
    I mean, the point of CNT is that they're crazy strong thanks to their molecular structure. Seems like flaking would be counter to that.

they're not as super strongly attached to each other

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I can't call a game good if a prerequisite of learning to play it is "wait for someone to come online and we will show you"

Why not?

I feel that if a game cannot provide a tutorial that at least allows you to play itself, it is not good

What about a comprehensive manual? Baldur's Gate is a good game with a half-inch thick manual and no in-game tutorial.

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

I challenge anyone to properly use the Dual Class (not multi class) options for any of the 2nd ed D&D games using only the information in their provided manuals.

You. will. fuck. it. up.

To be fair, a lot of people fucked it up with access to the complete line of 2nd Ed books. It's one of the more head scratchingly wonky things about D&D and that's saying something.

I have played the first part of Icewind Dale so many times. Get characters up to level 3-5 then try to dual into the class I actually want and woops! Druids need to be true neutral or I need a 17 or better in a stat and the manual didn't mention that or whatever.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Fuck blood bowl. Stupid cheating fucking AI.

If you are playing the AI, you're doing it wrong.

I couldn't find anyone to play with online on my friend list, plus I'm still pretty new to the game and didn't want to bore someone with my shitty play until I had a grasp on all the concepts.

You're still probably right though.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    10409575_798250780193914_8272002373793890184_n.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

Complete guide to Elves is one of my favorite "worst things" TSR ever published.

"Those slender necks..."

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Hm the tip of my finger is mysteriously swelling and hurts a little when I push on the side of it. Hmmm

amputate

better safe than sorry

Gonna give it a day. Pray on it. Etc.

Sounds like what happened with me with an in-grown toe nail.

@Gonmun‌ what else happened? The source of the inflammation seems to be right at the edge of the cuticle too

@DasUberEdward It became infected for me. Some of swelling being caused from inflammation and a build up of puss that wasn't able to drain until it was lanced. Wound up having to be on anti-biotics to clear up the infection then had a day surgery that removed a good chunk of the nail and cuticle to ensure it didn't cause further issues. Had it happen on both of my big toes.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

You. will. fuck. it. up.

Step 1. Change your character's name to Drizzt.

When I did the TSR Silver Anniversary Tour event, the author we had was R.A. Salvatore. And he spent a lot of time giving people various ways to kill Drizzt and take his stuff in Icewind Dale. He had like seven or eight different methods.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Oh

I get it Kedinik.

Don't like the murder team's game.

Alright.

I saw yours last night! And I felt bad for the Orcs.

So this morning I responded to the ones posted while I slept.

Many of which happened to include deaths on teams I am worried about facing again.

>.>

Well, if you'd like to balance that out a bit more

we could have a rematch

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Here is the link to Chaos Edition on sale

http://store.steampowered.com/app/216890/

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    yes! New car gets in August 6th!

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Oh

I get it Kedinik.

Don't like the murder team's game.

Alright.

I saw yours last night! And I felt bad for the Orcs.

So this morning I responded to the ones posted while I slept.

Many of which happened to include deaths on teams I am worried about facing again.

>.>

Well, if you'd like to balance that out a bit more

we could have a rematch

*loosens collar*

*adjusts tie*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Here's an example of why the Cyanide PC version has a serious problem versus the tabletop game.

PC Game:

Your Black Orc goes to hit my Human Blitzer. Your Black Orc has 4 Strength, my human has 3 Strength, yet somehow despite this the game makes the hit two dice, my choice (meaning, my advantage, as if I'm stronger than you). You don't understand why this has happened. Like, yes I have guys standing next to my guy, but you have some too and you counted them, shouldn't that... negate... but...

You sweat as the game rolls a Both Down and Defender Stumbles. My Blitzer has Block, and so does your Black Orc because he fortunately has an upgrade, so you're like "whew" because that could've resulted in him being knocked down while my guy wasn't (since, at the very least, you know that's the one thing Block does). But hang on... I chose Defender Stumbles? Why?

Oh, I guess I have Dodge, which turns it into a Push Back instead of a knocked down result. Wait what the shit, why am I picking where the Blitzer goes, and why can't you follow-up? What the fuck is going on?

Clearly this game is completely arbitrary or buggy or something!

Tabletop Game:

Your Black Orc goes to hit my Human Blitzer. You point out that you have 4 Str to my 3, so 2 dice, your choice, right? Not so fast, I say. I point out that two guys adjacent to the Blitzer are assisting, so it'd give my Blitzer an effective Str of 5, so it'd be two dice my choice. You say "But, my guys there should be negating their Assists, right?" and I point out my two dudes have Guard and thus they can always Assist, even if they'd otherwise be negated. Because I'm not a prick, and you didn't know that, I'm like "Are you sure you still want to take that hit?" and you're like "Nah" and I'm like "Good call, because if you pulled Defender Stumbles or Pushed Back, I could pick that, because my Blitzer has Dodge, Fend, and Side Step, so not only would I not get knocked down, I could go to any square of my choosing in any direction and you wouldn't be able to follow up. You'd have basically given me a free Dodge."

And you're like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

• Options

I couldn't find anyone to play with online on my friend list, plus I'm still pretty new to the game and didn't want to bore someone with my shitty play until I had a grasp on all the concepts.

The AI is actively bad and will teach you very bad habits.

Like don't make a hyperbunker. You want a nice simple 4 man cage to keep your ball carrier safe.

• Options
    Thank fuck norwegian doesn't have a may/can thing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    oh okay, chaos edition.

please don't everyone stop playing forever now that i have gotten it

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

Bladesingers were broken. But if you really wanted to break the same, you picked up the Complete Psionic Handbook.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Oneohtrix Point Never, Cold Cave and Dillinger Escape Plan replaced Death Grips on the NIN/Soundgarden tour

these are good replacements

• Options

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

the whole 2.5 edition "Skills and Powers" or whatever it was called (which, until 5th ed, were the most expensive D&D core books after adjusting for inflation) take that design philosophy and apply it to everything. I strongly suspect by that point the TSR staff were spending a lot of time getting high with kevin siembieda.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

I loved the bit hidden in like the "Arts and Crafts" section about any armor made by an elf was perfectly fine for casting spells in by fighter/mage elves. Ya know, just as a flavor thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Tarranon wrote: »
    oh okay, chaos edition.

please don't everyone stop playing forever now that i have gotten it

Tournament is over fiveever

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

*right click*

*save*

*proceed to memorize*

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Cool. So Im getting a colonoscopy on Weds.
    I have to take a half day. I just found out that I have to eat bullshit tommorrow and Weds and take poop pills AND that I will have to pay ~$300 for the procedure. Hanging out with my doctor friend on Saturday I expressed concern that the procedure requires an anesthesiologist, but he assured me that they'll just give me an Attavan (sp?) IV to relax me. As a bonus, the drug usually causes retrograde amnesia.

So in conclusion:
    I am leaving work early on wednesday to pay some dudes to roofie me and stick things in my asshole.

Awesome.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

We need to reinstate the traditional system for determining the proper grammar and vocabulary of English
    Anyone who conquers southeast England gets to change it to whatever they damn well please

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

Whatcha getting?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

Bladesingers were broken. But if you really wanted to break the same, you picked up the Complete Psionic Handbook.

I allowed Psionics in my Planescape game, but had to build challenges around the existence of those powers and capabilities, because they are so very unbalanced, yes.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014

Like don't make a hyperbunker. You want a nice simple 4 man cage to keep your ball carrier safe.

I'm playing Orcs as my first "Don't quit the game just because rolls screw you" team. So far I haven't bothered to cage at all, just beat down the enemy team until I can calmly waddle my fat black orc over there to scoop up the ball and stroll in for a TD. I'm currently 4-0 in the first competition going into the playoffs. I'm sure my strategy won't stand up to bashier teams, but hey, its working for now!

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    disclaimer: I think Israel is being a massive asshole about all this but Hamas is also being dicks and also kinda stupid or dishonest

All war and nationalism and individuality is distraction from universal oneness fyi hth

nationalism is closer to universal oneness than individuality

a nation is the lie that there is an "us" rather than just "I"

They both necessitate a meaningful 'them' or 'other'.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Why not?

[img][/img]RQS5o0Jm.jpg

You. will. fuck. it. up.

the whole 2.5 edition "Skills and Powers" or whatever it was called (which, until 5th ed, were the most expensive D&D core books after adjusting for inflation) take that design philosophy and apply it to everything. I strongly suspect by that point the TSR staff were spending a lot of time getting high with kevin siembieda.

I talked to a staffer from back in the day when all those "Complete" books were getting published. They were all entirely outsourced because the in house priority was the Buck Roger's game. Because the owner of TSR had a bigger stake in Buck Rogers than D&D...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Cool. So Im getting a colonoscopy on Weds.
    I have to take a half day. I just found out that I have to eat bullshit tommorrow and Weds and take poop pills AND that I will have to pay ~$300 for the procedure. Hanging out with my doctor friend on Saturday I expressed concern that the procedure requires an anesthesiologist, but he assured me that they'll just give me an Attavan (sp?) IV to relax me. As a bonus, the drug usually causes retrograde amnesia.

So in conclusion:
    I am leaving work early on wednesday to pay some dudes to roofie me and stick things in my asshole.

Awesome.

you're not taking off the day before?

bro

you need to take off the day before

the stuff they give you to poop makes you poop like you have no idea

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    we have må/kan which I bet my ass are directly related to may/can but that's must/can

and besides why the fuck is it wrong

"may I go to the bathroom?" - I am asking if I have permission to use the bathroom

"can I go to the bathroom?" - I am asking if I am able to use the bathroom.

Lack of permission means unable to use the bathroom in this situation. Eat a dick every teacher who ever said that.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I'm playing Orcs as my first "Don't quit the game just because rolls screw you" team. So far I haven't bothered to cage at all, just beat down the enemy team until I can calmly waddle my fat black orc over there to scoop up the ball and stroll in for a TD.

Black orc has 2 agi. Picking up the ball is actively hard for them. Plus, you have only a little block, and low movement. A proper elf team isn't going to let you hit them very often. You turtle up, and slowly stroll down the field, and you make them take their lumps.

• Options
    Plus, you'll still have games where the elfy team bashes the crap out of you, because that's blood bowl.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

Whatcha getting?

2015 wrx!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Linguistic prescriptivism is literally the worst

• Options
    disclaimer: I think Israel is being a massive asshole about all this but Hamas is also being dicks and also kinda stupid or dishonest

All war and nationalism and individuality is distraction from universal oneness fyi hth

nationalism is closer to universal oneness than individuality

a nation is the lie that there is an "us" rather than just "I"

They both necessitate a meaningful 'them' or 'other'.

Yes.

But I'm just saying that "us and them" is closer to "just us" than "just I" :p

aaaanyway

when you cut your finger I do not bleed. Every man is an island.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ooo, a subaru.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Linguistic prescriptivism is literally the worst.

ftfy

This discussion has been closed.