Options

Moon Art [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    It's so far from get off my plane. And the rest of the movie is mediocre.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I will make a movie where someone hangs a lampshade on an unobtainium MacGuffin that's also hung over a fireplace in act 2.

It will have no incidence to the rest of the movie.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    What's black and blue and beaten?
    My deck in Magic 2015.

how are the magic computer games anyway?

I've always been tempted, but have been afraid that it might turn into microtransaction hell or something like that

@Kana‌

Next steam sale spend a couple bucks and pick up Magic 2014. If you want to splurge you can buy it and the DLC probably for under 10, maybe around 5. That's it for the microtransactions in that game.

Magic 2015 is a step down from it in pretty much every way IMO and has the "BUY MORE CARDS YOU CAN'T EARN IN GAME" thing with random boosters. Now they're not really random so it's really just an extra $30 for all cards but even ignoring that I think it's a step backwards in interface for non-tablet stuff.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    One time I was prepping for making this meal and I picked up the bag with the crawfish in it and it'd gotten wet on the bottom, so the bag ripped open and dozens of crawfish scattered everywhere across the floor.... all of them are like RAAAAAH IM A BADASS GET THE FUCK BACK! and started running everywhere. The giant akita bounded over to investigate and one of them pinched him on the nose, and he flipped the fuck out

leaping everywhere and barking in outrage like OH SHIT!! DAD THOSE ARE DANGEROUS YOU NEED TO RUN!!! GET OUT I'LL SAVE YOU WITH INTENSE VOLUME BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!

http://www.aplacetolovedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/Puppy_tastes_lime.500.gif

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Cinders wrote: »

There is a movie attached to that scene?!

Neco on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think my favourite "hah hah tumblr feminists" thing is the "did you know that the reason men sit with their legs wide apart is because it's a "crotch display" intended to assert dominance and show sexual virility to potential mates"

(and the response "IT'S BECAUSE WE HAVE PARTS THAT STICK OUT THERE THAT REACT TO HEAT AND PRESSURE SHITBRAIN")

thank god tumblr activism is like a neutrino, if it interacted with the physical world more we'd see some damage to feminism

um wtf r u doing i sit with my legs splayed apart all the time to show my mad junk off

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    redx wrote: »
    calling your macguffin a macguffin is a no, calling the unobtanium unobtanium is also a no

I disagree.

Though if I write a movie it will feature someone hanging a gun over a fireplace and then nothing at all will happen with it.

have a character early on mention it, with a camera close up

later after a death a character have the "I'll show him, I'll make him pay" scene while ominous music plays, camera zooms to gun as he leaves

gun is never used

override367 on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    i had so many limes yesterday
    now i have no limes
    thanks obama

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »

There is a movie attached to that scene?!

I know! I was surprised too.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    On the unobtanium thing, I generally think that using a real-word term in a film with a non-real world setting is probably a bad idea if the use of the term in the film could be readily confused with the real world use.

Which seems to be the case in avatar, but I haven't seen it.

Like how zombie films try not to say zombie?

Sort of, yeah

They avoid using the term because it brings in a load of baggage they don't necessarily want. Their zombies might have traits in common with your standard zombie, but they may not necessarily want all of them to be implied

The unobtainium in avatar doesn't have anything in common with the usual usage of unobtainium, so you're running the risk of leaving people trying to figure out what you did mean to imply

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    abdhy some communication might help your problem with them, or it might make it worse. I'm sorry they're not cognizant of the new dynamic... that shit is really hard to manage.

It's really tricky for us right now in a similar way, with a daughter just turning 18 and heading off to college... she has her own money now because we unlocked the trust we started when she was a baby (it became hers when she turned 18, we never told her it existed) so she could begin paying for college... it's not enough but it's something and its hers.... but it's hard not to tell her how to spend it. And it's hard doing this balance where we want to treat her more like an adult than a kid because she needs to make this transition and it's going to be a brutal wake-up call when we drive away from that dorm room in Massachusetts and head back to Texas, leaving her on her own for procuring everything she needs.

At the same time, she wants to be a kid and an adult simultaneously and that's also hard for her and for us because it's tough to make expectations and behavior and reactions all match up. Sometimes it's an outrage for me to tell her to walk the dogs and sometimes "hey dad when is dinner?"... like, she's reaching for the independence and expectation that we start treating her like a grownup instead of a child who gets ordered around, but she doesn't realize yet how being a grownup doesn't include the vocalized assumption that someone is cooking you a meal every night.

Then she'll leave and come back over Christmas as a different person altogether, and with no transition in between we're going to have to somehow sort out the new paradigm.

What I'm saying I guess is that some perspective from the other side might help you be less angry. Not to say that you're wrong, but understanding what led them to be wrong in their approach might make it easier to address without anger.

"When is dinner?" could be habit, and an assumption that you're having dinner together, but, yeah. Or just assuming that you're cooking her dinner, because don't you?

thinking about that I realize I say "when do you want to eat?" or "When do you want to cook dinner?" here now, just because that's what I'd say to a friend if we were having dinner together - it's not an event that's just going to happen at a set time without my input, it's a thing we're doing together and i'm part of it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    calling your macguffin a macguffin is a no, calling the unobtanium unobtanium is also a no

I disagree.

Though if I write a movie it will feature someone hanging a gun over a fireplace and then nothing at all will happen with it.

Will it also feature a machine called "the plot device"?

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    now i have no limes
    thanks obama

Limes come and limes go deeb.

It's love that lasts forever.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I think my favourite "hah hah tumblr feminists" thing is the "did you know that the reason men sit with their legs wide apart is because it's a "crotch display" intended to assert dominance and show sexual virility to potential mates"

(and the response "IT'S BECAUSE WE HAVE PARTS THAT STICK OUT THERE THAT REACT TO HEAT AND PRESSURE SHITBRAIN")

thank god tumblr activism is like a neutrino, if it interacted with the physical world more we'd see some damage to feminism

um wtf r u doing i sit with my legs splayed apart all the time to show my mad junk off

It's how I learned that you are so virile.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    i have some doritos hot wing flavored chips and they are just fucking horrible oh my god

*continues eating*

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i think ill cook dinner tonight
    I have an avacado, a jalepeno, an onion, cilantro, rice, garlic, cheddar, and a london broil.

NEED: Lime

• Options
    I understand fully how she can be annoyed to what seems an unreasonable degree to be told to walk the dog

the difference between "walk the dog" and "could you walk the dog" is immense

(also I wouldn't worry about the transition being that brutal. It was fun! Like, shit, I've got a home and shit of my own! Nice! Also, who fucking knew that toilet paper and tape and paperclips and tin foil and all those things that you just always have add up to this much money when there is nothing to begin with!)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I disagree.

have a character early on mention it, with a camera close up

later after a death a character have the "I'll show him, I'll make him pay" scene while ominous music plays, camera zooms to gun as he leaves

gun is never used

character's name is Chekov

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I have an avacado, a jalepeno, an onion, cilantro, rice, garlic, cheddar, and a london broil.

throw away the avacado

make a marinade

use the lime for the juice. and some soy sauce.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am the big boss today. The satisfying jingle of that carabiner full of keys.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I have lots of limes.

I got them from the government.

Don't even want limes.

• Options
    now I feel compelled to go to whole foods and pick up a steak

that could be my dinner

steak

• Options
    tD7jfnR.jpg

Sleepy kitty

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

I have lots of limes.

Don't even want limes.

YOU'LL TAKE YOUR GOVERNMENT LIMES AND YOU WILL LIKE THEM.

• Options
    75% cat pics!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I have lots of limes.

Don't even want limes.

I don't even know where they're at anymore.

Not important. Just limes.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @Preacher‌

Hercules is an amazing time. A classic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I buy limes just so I can let them go bad in my refrigerator.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    My suggestion that we go watch the last half of the rays game while we wait was not met with enthusiasm.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I have lots of limes.

Don't even want limes.

When life gives you limes
    make margaritas?

• Options
    Hercules is an amazing time. A classic.

i should've gone to see that and not Lucy. :(

• Options
    avocado is awful and California should be ashamed

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    now i have no limes
    thanks obama

lud will be pleased to hear you are no longer a poor.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

Boo

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I understand fully how she can be annoyed to what seems an unreasonable degree to be told to walk the dog

the difference between "walk the dog" and "could you walk the dog" is immense

(also I wouldn't worry about the transition being that brutal. It was fun! Like, shit, I've got a home and shit of my own! Nice! Also, who fucking knew that toilet paper and tape and paperclips and tin foil and all those things that you just always have add up to this much money when there is nothing to begin with!)

:) I hope she reacts that way to doing stuff on her own!

And I know there's a big difference between asking and telling... we're just not at the point yet where I feel ready to stop dictating. Very soon, but not yet. There is an element of "you are living here, these are the things you are doing" that I want to lean hard into, just to reinforce the break between living at home and living on her own.

We are walking a very fine line I think. We've not said the standard "my house, my rules" thing or the "while you're under this roof you will x and y young lady" thing. But we have made it clear that living at home includes a set of mandatory tasks that help keep the house running, and she's not disincluded from them by virtue of having a birthday. The effect is that she is chafing at living under somebody else's mandatory rules, but it's not exactly directed at us because we called back to the ancient system we used when they were toddlers: "these are the rules, we follow rules, my hands are tied too! You just have to do x because it's a rule."

She's more annoyed at the rules and tasks than at us for making her do them. It's some of each because she is not 2yrs old anymore, but it's working I think. The result should be that she feels refreshingly freed to create her own systems but doesn't just go mad with rebellion against us.

That's the hope at least. We are making this up as we go along, cobbled together from all the reading we've done and our own informed intuition and a fair bit of improv and a large library of "what not to do" lessons from our own parents.

*crosses fingers, worries in the dark*

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    meals aren't one of the annoying things about being here probably because me and my sister both have been cooking it often for so long

well apart from today when they decide to be a trifecta of annoying - arguing with me, which annoys me because they don't seem to realize that this is what they're complaining about to me all the time, not because of the arguing itself, and also the argument being "the recipe says this", "we did this the last time" and "it's a marinade that means this"

when all of those are irrelevant arguments - recipe not perfect and not followed anyway, we didn't make it with the same ingredients or recipe last time, a marinade is not a thing that has fixed properties

oh and also, to be perfectly honest, a slight to my own warranted arrogance - I am good with balancing flavours, all recipes to me are more or less lists of ingredients with "to taste" instead of amounts (or "in an amount that makes sense for what you want this to end up as" for more complicated things)

it may be arrogant but damnit, you cannot cook without tasting and adjusting and thinking, that is a hill I will die on

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I have lots of limes.

Don't even want limes.

I don't even know where they're at anymore.

Not important. Just limes.

ITT we learn that the government worries about scurvy in the navy even when its sailors are on shore

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Best Friends Pokemon Nuzlocke challenge is ending today

Playing to victory or death.

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.