As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Awakening is a Critical Hit!

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, for Severa's mission I sent the total kill A-team (Kjelle, Morgan, Nowi and Lucina) in high movement flying form down the same path she was going to go - I wasn't going to leave anything to chance. Thankfully she doesn't move a lot, so between the counter to the first attack the enemies would do when I put myself in line and then my own retaliation, I got her through fairly easily.

Saving all the people in Brady's stage was harder because damn Snipers with damn Longbows that target peasants to the exclusion of the guys trying to kill them god damn it.

Bardy's stage is easy. You simply need to setup your defense lines just outside the doorways instead of in them, and on the right side make it a 4 person line rather than the 2 person width of the door. This should take a total of 9 units (2 Left, 3 bottom, 4 Right). This should leave you with 2 Units + Brady free. If you have someone with Galeforce on each side, you can move a defense unit to kill an archer and then back into defense position without endangering anyone.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Also, Severa's stats and abilities go up based on her parents, so boosting her parents stats boosts her survivability (you can also pass down Pavise/Aegis if you want).

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Raising Cordelia and whoever COrdelia married, even just a few levels, will make Severa a lot more survivable in that mission. Hell, if both of them are among your front-line troops then she's actually really strong right out of the box!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Thanks all, those ideas sound like they'll work. Looking forward to taking another shot at it, last night it was my "one more mission in bed" mission that turned into 4-5 attempts. I am really enjoying this game by the way, everything about it has its hooks into me. The way the fun character writing and the briskly developing story and the combat and the leveling and the support systems all work together is just so addictive and satisfying.

In this thread, Kid Presentable tells people all of the things that they already know and have been telling him for over a year.

First-time players are required to list off their character pairings. It's definitely a rule and not something I made up.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Raising Cordelia and whoever COrdelia married, even just a few levels, will make Severa a lot more survivable in that mission. Hell, if both of them are among your front-line troops then she's actually really strong right out of the box!

Severa will be strong no matter what, though the mission is made to see her dead if you don't carry plenty of rescue staffs and make sure to kill the enemies quickly before they can touch her (especially when in harder modes the enemies have forged weapons and are all promoted).

Cordelia already has amazing stats/growths to pass on to her daughter, but the key lies in the Father, mostly for skills to pass on. Wrath will be good for her no matter what, as would Counter or some other male-class only skill.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Tiki's stage took a couple tries. My standard instinct of pairing up most people just didn't suffice against the continuous onslaught, and I just didn't have enough anti-air firepower in my first try. Had to bring Virion out of retirement and everything.

Only a couple more green spots on the map now. I do wonder what those orange dots out of reach are...

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Well, if you would like to know...

There's no plot spoilers in here or anything:

They are "post game" missions if you will. You unlocked them by going to the Wireless menu and activating them probably. If you haven't done that since the game's release there could be more! These missions were staggered out after the release of the game.

You can only gain access to them once you get to the last mission in the game: Chapter 25.

They're missions with different challenges and unique... opportunities.

Some of them might even be good to get some kids up before the final battle!

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Thanks all, those ideas sound like they'll work. Looking forward to taking another shot at it, last night it was my "one more mission in bed" mission that turned into 4-5 attempts. I am really enjoying this game by the way, everything about it has its hooks into me. The way the fun character writing and the briskly developing story and the combat and the leveling and the support systems all work together is just so addictive and satisfying.

In this thread, Kid Presentable tells people all of the things that they already know and have been telling him for over a year.

First-time players are required to list off their character pairings. It's definitely a rule and not something I made up.

Well, rules are rules!

Chrom + Sumia - This felt like a bit of a default choice, but it seems to fit okay. She made Chrom lots of pies. Felt weird when the other female horse flying lady, Cordelia joined my group and started talking about how obsessed she was with Chrom after Sumia already scooped him up. Sorry, Cordelia!

Frederick + Panne - I matched these two up with a few other options before putting them together. Panne seemed to straight up dislike most of the other early pairings, and Frederick really needed somebody to help loosen him up. Happy with this one!

Sully + Virion - Not only is this a super uninspiring and default pairing, but their marriage was actually kind of an accident. The game introduced them together, taught me about pairing maybe at that exact same time, and they never separated. As such, they were my first "S" rank, and I went forward with that conversation mostly curious as to what would happen and whether or not I'd get a warning or confirmation box or anything. I didn't! I don't necessarily regret it, because even though Virion is a bit of a creepo, Sully the Ultimate Badass was always in complete control of the relationship and made all the choices. Sully can probably do better though, and likely will on my next playthrough.

Cordelia + Kellam - I like both of these characters on their own, and even though Cordelia came in with that preset Chrom obsession, she was able to see Kellam sometimes. I kinda feel bad for Kellam though and feel like Cordelia is probably still in love with Chrom. Lots of unresolved feelings there. Poor Kellam.

Those are all my S rank pairs so far. I really need to get breeding, I guess. Notably absent from that list is my male avatar, Robin, who has hit "A" rank with a few ladies (Olivia, Tharja, Lucina) but hasn't made any commitments yet! Lately he and Lucina have been soloing entire maps together, but I feel like there's some simmering weirdness involved with those second generation characters. Like, that's Chrom's daughter. Who is also a baby still right over there? All these second generation characters seem young, even though I'm using the super default Robin, modeled after the Smash Bros. character, who I guess is also a teenager but still...

Lucina is enough of a badass that I might get over it... if Chrom's cool with it.

• Options
    I personally find the second genners harder to ship together than the first genners. For people who supposedly are already a tightly knit band a lot of the interactions I've seen between them sure are confrontational.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I personally find the second genners harder to ship together than the first genners. For people who supposedly are already a tightly knit band a lot of the interactions I've seen between them sure are confrontational.

They're definitely more full of drama.

I... I'm really bad at shipping my second generation too.

My lunatic game is like 16 unresolved S ranks waiting to happen. It's probably a bad idea to leave all those teenagers with pent up feelings alone in the same army...! There are some really good S ranks though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Well, rules are rules!

Those are all my S rank pairs so far. I really need to get breeding, I guess. Notably absent from that list is my male avatar, Robin, who has hit "A" rank with a few ladies (Olivia, Tharja, Lucina) but hasn't made any commitments yet! Lately he and Lucina have been soloing entire maps together, but I feel like there's some simmering weirdness involved with those second generation characters. Like, that's Chrom's daughter. Who is also a baby still right over there? All these second generation characters seem young, even though I'm using the super default Robin, modeled after the Smash Bros. character, who I guess is also a teenager but still...

Lucina is enough of a badass that I might get over it... if Chrom's cool with it.

He is. As long as, you know, you don't make out in front of him or something.

And marrying Lucina gets a couple good scenes in the main game and DLC, so there's that.

Really, the important thing is you decide soon. The Avatar's daughter is the Best Character.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I think I finally narrowed down my second gen pairings. Quite apart from like half the kids being related somehow, Nah made it so hard. If her dad isn't the avatar then she can't have Galeforce + Luna, making her better suited to support. Unfortunately the only physical male lead is Inigo, and her support with him is fucking diabolical.

Nah x Owain - She's physical but he can rock Dread Fighter, and their S rank is actually quite sweet.
    Lucina x Avatar - Duh.
    Cynthia x Brady - Great all round (also Owain is her cousin, so just as well really).
    Noire x Laurent - She's crazy, but he's into that.
    Kjelle x Gerome/Inigo/Yarne - She has awful magic growth so she gets to pick one of the physical boys.
    Severa x Gerome/Inigo/Yarne - Same as Kjelle. In an ideal world Severa x Kjelle, but alas.
    Morgan x Gerome/Inigo/Yarne - She doesn't care, she's ballin' any way you slice it. Apotheosis+ made me realise Gerome/Yarne are incredible as supports, so I'm fine with my princess marrying one of 'em :P

Parents:
    Lucina - Sumia
    Cynthia - Chrom
    Nah - Vaike
    Noire - Gaius
    Kjelle - Donny
    Severa - Stahl
    Morgan - Lucina
    Owain - Ricken
    Brady - Henry, so he can be Kanji
    Laurent - Lon'qu
    Gerome - Gregor
    Inigo - Fred
    Yarne - Kellam

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I am personally considering checking how the Lucina/Yarne and Inigo (Chrom dad)/Nah supports are. Because the idea of the Royal House of Ylisse being dragons and rabbits forevermore seems amusing to me, and being part of an inheritance line will probably help the blood not being lost. Beat the odds, Yarne!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wait, can Chrom marry Panne?

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Wait, can Chrom marry Panne?

No, Chrom can only marry Sumia, Marribelle, Sully, F/Avatar, and Olivia.

Sadly, I found out when I tried to get him to shack up with Miriel.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I am personally considering checking how the Lucina/Yarne and Inigo (Chrom dad)/Nah supports are. Because the idea of the Royal House of Ylisse being dragons and rabbits forevermore seems amusing to me, and being part of an inheritance line will probably help the blood not being lost. Beat the odds, Yarne!

Yarne's supports with Lucina are some of his better ones. She's about the only person whose response to his cowardice is "No problem. Just let me watch your back" instead of guilt tripping him, and it makes him work it out on his own.

Nah and Inigo has her threaten to kill and eat him if he cheats.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yarne's supports with Lucina are some of his better ones. She's about the only person whose response to his cowardice is "No problem. Just let me watch your back" instead of guilt tripping him, and it makes him work it out on his own.

And then declare them married over his complaints.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

And then declare them married over his complaints.

And anyone other than Inigo, I would have objection to that.

His B and C ranks with Lucina lost him a lot of sympathy in my book.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    In my case, it won him some points, because they're brother and sister, and they made obvious Inigo is clearly sitting on some serious abandonment issues.

Personally, what supports I've seen of Inigo he's nowhere near as disagreeable as, say, Virion, in addition to being forever a chew toy.

EDIT: Also, Cynthia seems to have some good support with Yarne too. She's a hero, so if he thinks he's weak she'll protect him, because heroes protect the weak. The logic seems pretty sound and by B rank that I just reached it seems to be managing to get a little nerve into him.

Drascin on
  • Options
    In my case, it won him some points, because they're brother and sister, and they made obvious Inigo is clearly sitting on some serious abandonment issues.

Personally, what supports I've seen of Inigo he's nowhere near as disagreeable as, say, Virion.

Yeah, his supports with non-sibling Lucina are him telling her that she needs to smile more, and why is she so glum just because the weight of the world is on her shoulders, and she's not smiling.

It's be irritating even if she was perpetually downbeat, but considering how many of her supports have her willing and able to do the smile and laugh bit when she's got cause, he's being the most obnoxious asshole alive. Compare and contrast the Morgan supports.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hm! Tactician Lucina. This should prove interesting.

And by that, I mean "AHAHAHA the power!"

• Options
    And so it begins.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Man Vaike is taking forever to max his stats. Usually with the other characters I've maxed, one of their stat's grow every two levels, but with Vaike it's every 3 or so levels

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Enlong wrote: »
    Hm! Tactician Lucina. This should prove interesting.

And by that, I mean "AHAHAHA the power!"

If Lucina is a tactician, that means her mom is...

Good job!

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    So with the exceptions of Chrom and Possible Male Avatar, I'm now gathering that all of the second-generation characters are tied strictly to the female parent? My breeding program is starting to ramp up and I just started noticing that I'm only getting one kid and it's always very much "the mother's", with the dad not seeming to matter much. Oh jeez, I just realized that the parents are contributing hair color and these kids could have different hair colors on future replays? No wonder you guys have hundreds of hours in this game.

• Options
    They also contribute classes and stat bonuses, but in the base game, yeah, it's the mothers who determine everything of importance

In the Future Past DLC, though, every father gets extended, detailed support conversations with their children that are unique to each father/child relationship

Mothers get them too!

Future Past is baller

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Future Past is the one DLC pack that everyone needs to get if anything else. You can grind up with random overworld Risen packs or farm reeking boxes to gain levels, but whatever happens Future Past must be played and every one of those kids needs to speak to both their parents. It's the only right thing to do.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    Future Past is the one DLC pack that everyone needs to get if anything else. You can grind up with random overworld Risen packs or farm reeking boxes to gain levels, but whatever happens Future Past must be played and every one of those kids needs to speak to both their parents. It's the only right thing to do.

I'd say the scrambles are a close second.

So many conversations. So much Morgan trolling people.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Vaike just took 12 levels to get a single stat growth. What the hell?!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Vaike just took 12 levels to get a single stat growth. What the hell?!

Are all his stat numbers green? He's capped out.

• Options
    That stat was still black. His stats are all capped now, so I don't have to worry about him anymore. Just dumb that it took 12 levels get a single stat growth.

Anyway, now can worry about maxing the stats of other characters. Hopefully they won't give as much trouble as Vaike

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    TrollMorgan is the BEST Morgan.

I was getting her to A rank with ALL THE BOYS just to see how much she utterly manipulated them.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

I was getting her to A rank with ALL THE BOYS just to see how much she utterly manipulated them.

Some get even more manipulative in the S rank.

Morgan is much smarter than almost everyone around her, and uses her advantage in terrifying ways.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Morgan is much smarter than almost everyone around her, and uses her advantage in terrifying ways.
    If I could be any character at all in the game, it would be F!Morgan.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    That stat was still black. His stats are all capped now, so I don't have to worry about him anymore. Just dumb that it took 12 levels get a single stat growth.

Anyway, now can worry about maxing the stats of other characters. Hopefully they won't give as much trouble as Vaike

Not sure if you knew this, but stat growths are randomized in Fire Emblem. Every time a character levels up, there is a fixed chance that a particular stat will go up. Thanks to the law of large numbers, this means that a 20% typically translates to one point every five levels. But, the outlier cases are always possible. Sometimes you wind up with a healer girl with gigantic bulging muscles, and sometimes your burly axe-wielding guy doesn't see his offense or defense go up for half a class of levels. It's another one of those ways the dice can be maddening.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

Not sure if you knew this, but stat growths are randomized in Fire Emblem. Every time a character levels up, there is a fixed chance that a particular stat will go up. Thanks to the law of large numbers, this means that a 20% typically translates to one point every five levels. But, the outlier cases are always possible. Sometimes you wind up with a healer girl with gigantic bulging muscles, and sometimes your burly axe-wielding guy doesn't see his offense or defense go up for half a class of levels. It's another one of those ways the dice can be maddening.
    I did not know this. Thanks for the heads up

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options

If I could be any character at all in the game, it would be F!Morgan.

She IS the best. Abs of steel, amazing people skills, brilliant tactician, and a winning attitude.
    Also, she's a demigod. Good for her!

It's interesting to compare to her brother, who's kind of a scrawny dope. I mean, he's fine. But one of the kids is going to be God Emperor of something before the decade's out, and the other really, really isn't.

• Options
    This can't be real
    EOC834i.png

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Stat growths are based on a percentage that randomly determines within that window whether or not it'll raise when the character levels up. For example the Avatar/Robin can have a 55% chance to raise Strength and 45% chance to raise Magic, but when leveled up it can end up that Magic raises when Strength gets no increase.

It's basically up to RNG along with the actual chances of it happening. If you were trying to raise Magic or Resistance on Vaike, for example, you'd have problems.

Capping all stats is pretty pointless anyway. Just cap the ones that are special to the class you want them in and call it good. Once Vaike caps strength and hp, he can pretty much decimate anything no matter what.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This can't be real
    EOC834i.png

Wow, your barracks is super empty. I guess it fills up with crap when you get more people?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282