As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] New thread, new Soul to Sacrifice

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I'm getting close to the end of Chapter 5 of Disgaea 3 and things are getting much more difficult now. They're throwing hordes of powerful enemies at me, so it's nice not to be able to sleep through the battles, I guess.

So now I'm trying to focus on unlocking classes, and somehow my homeroom got bigger? But nobody ever explained what caused that to happen. I'm starting to get overwhelmed again. I want to create some new characters so I can try out different classes, but if I do that they start at level 1 and so they would need to grind for a long time in the Item World to get up to where the rest of my party is at. Then there's the whole reincarnation mechanic, new school clubs, keeping track of Evilities, passing on abilities to other party members (which I have no idea how to actually do), upgrading equipment for every character and leveling it all individually...

Fuck. And now that Atelier is rumored to be next month's PS+ freebie on Vita (along with 1,001 Spikes), I don't foresee myself lacking things to play anytime soon.

Have you at least unlocked the clubs that share experience and mana gains between people who are seated together in the classroom? Because those make leveling characters in the item world easier.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have the Robber Club and I was just now reading up on it. I wish I'd known sooner, I've been having to do weird things in battle to get mana for my healer, for instance.

• Options
    Also, seriously consider rolling a heavy knight if you have the option. Slap a spear on him with the most defensive gear you can get and you have the tankiest tank. If you're patient you can literally solo entire item level maps with him, and if you have him in the experience-sharing club then you can hitch three other units to his wagon.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah after I get past the mission I'm currently on I'm thinking I'll grind item worlds for a while. I just got a Magic Knight, are they pretty decent?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I screwed up and spent a massive chunk of my early time in Disgaea 3 farming up early classes. Now I'm having trouble staying interested.
    Cheerleader
    heavy Knight
    Gunslinger
    Magic Knight
    Archer
    Geomancer
    Beastmaster
    Sorcerer

I also couldn't tell at first if the Sorcerer was male or female.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I screwed up and spent a massive chunk of my early time in Disgaea 3 farming up early classes. Now I'm having trouble staying interested.
    Cheerleader
    heavy Knight
    Gunslinger
    Magic Knight
    Archer
    Geomancer
    Beastmaster
    Sorcerer

You can make the game harder via council votes.

• Options
    I made the mistake once of fighting the council after a vote didn't go my way early on (level 20 or so).

That, uh... that was dumb.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Note that I haven't played any of the games in the series besides 3. Others here can probably guide you better than I could.

The stories are all self-contained apparently, so you can start wherever you want.

Oooooh, I was wondering why you were afraid to make new units and said leveling them was hard.

Okay! Just so you know, leveling up level 1 characters is actually super easy! No item world trips necessary! Well. Unless you want to. Basically, all you have to do is have a higher level character pick up the low-level (or multiple low levels) and then do a tower attack. That is, just have the character that's holding the other character up do the enemy whackin'. The held up character is safe for the most part, and he gets xp!

Another way to level up the low levels is by simply having them stand next to one of your characters that's attacking an enemy. If they do a combo attack then your lowbie character will get some experience AND afterwards you can just move lowbie off the field.

EDIT- Uh. as a disclaimer, I never played 3 because I didn't have a ps3 at the time, so I just watched all the story bits online. The above leveling stuff worked in 2 and 4 though. (no tower attacks in 1, so only combo attacks worked for leveling there.)

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been doing the combo attacks for leveling but had no clue what a tower attack was until today after intense research. The game does a really poor job of explaining a lot of the mechanics.

Either way though, having lowbie characters out on the field is basically an invitation for them to get stomped. Almost every enemy I run across at this point has ranged attacks and beelines for my weak characters.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Cheerleader
    heavy Knight
    Gunslinger
    Magic Knight
    Archer
    Geomancer
    Beastmaster
    Sorcerer

You can make the game harder via council votes.

Its not that it is too easy, I just find it really boring right now. I can't get into it at all.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I get that. I was able to beat the main story of Disgaea 1, but that was a total rarity. Almost every time I try my hand at that genre of game I just get bored. Only real exceptions for me have been D1 and XCOM. I've got barely-touched campaigns of all of the following sitting on memory cards/cartridges: Disgaea 3, Disgaea 3 Vita, Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis, FFT, Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor 2, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Advance Wars Dual Strike, and Fire Emblem Awakening.

I don't know why I keep buying them even though my track record is abysmal, but for some reason I keep doing it.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    I get that. I was able to beat the main story of Disgaea 1, but that was a total rarity. Almost every time I try my hand at that genre of game I just get bored. Only real exceptions for me have been D1 and XCOM. I've got barely-touched campaigns of all of the following sitting on memory cards/cartridges: Disgaea 3, Disgaea 3 Vita, Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis, FFT, Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor 2, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars, Advance Wars Dual Strike, and Fire Emblem Awakening.

I don't know why I keep buying them even though my track record is abysmal, but for some reason I keep doing it.

I do the same thing. My list of tactics based games is short, Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, XCOM, Space Hulk, and Final Fantasy Tactics and I'm not close to beating any of them. Though I've probably gotten the farthest in Valkyria Chronicles. If only I could play it on my Vita.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, totally forgot that I also bought and failed to make significant progress in VC and VC2 as well. It's a shame, because they're goddamn pretty games.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I've been doing the combo attacks for leveling but had no clue what a tower attack was until today after intense research. The game does a really poor job of explaining a lot of the mechanics.

Either way though, having lowbie characters out on the field is basically an invitation for them to get stomped. Almost every enemy I run across at this point has ranged attacks and beelines for my weak characters.

Nah, nah. Just make sure someone stronger is always holding them up, don't put them down unless your sending them back to the base panel. They can't get killed then. (well, unless your stronger dude gets killed.)

I'm going to guess Disgaea 3 didn't mention tower stuff since it was introduced in 4 and they figured the player already knew. (which is kinda weird of them to do since every disgaea is basically fairly self contained, but there ya go.)

Oh yeah, side note about the item world. Techincally, you don't really have to fight everything. You can just pick up a bunch of your own characters and have them continually throw each other to you get to an exit panel. occasionally exit panels have guards though, so it's not a perfect system. Does make things go quicker though.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Don't items level up faster when you actually kill the enemies in an item world, rather than rush through to the exit?

• Options
    Don't items level up faster when you actually kill the enemies in an item world, rather than rush through to the exit?

Yes.

• Options
    Yeah I haven't been using tower attacks because I thought they had to do with the throwing mechanic. Part of the fun for me has been figuring things like that out by trial and error. I'm sure I've missed a bunch of opportunities to use tactics like that.

• Options
    I just try to kill "innocents" myself and continue rushing 'cause I'm badass like that.

Okay. that's a lie. I'm just lazy with any form of grinding. haha.

But I thought it was only killing innocents that mattered? .....those critters ARE called "innocents" right? I really hope I'm not using the wrong term there and unintentionally being creepy....

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lovely wrote: »
    I just try to kill "innocents" myself and continue rushing 'cause I'm badass like that.

But I thought it was only killing innocents that mattered? .....those critters ARE called "innocents" right? I really hope I'm not using the wrong term there and unintentionally being creepy....

I think that's what they're called. But at the end of an item world run, it totals up the number of enemies you left alive vs. the ones you killed and it affects your score, which in turn determines how many levels your item goes up.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »

In addition to what Joshofalltrades just said, killing Innocents is what allows you to transfer them from one item to another. Otherwise that Gladiator's pretty useless in say a consumable like Mint Gum where it would be better in your Sword.

• Options
    So Monster Monpiece. How much did they censor in it? I kind of want to check it out but I tend to not support games that end up heavily censored.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    So Monster Monpiece. How much did they censor in it? I kind of want to check it out but I tend to not support games that end up heavily censored.

The art for roughly 40 of the cards was removed, such that instead of getting new art on a level up, it stays at the old art.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular

Your cards have 3 levels, and the higher level the less clothing they wear. They took out a number of pictures for some of the cards. Something like 40 pictures I think out of 300ish+. The company made a post about it with some of the censored content.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    So they didn't bother adding new art for the ones they censored?
    Bonepart wrote: »

Your cards have 3 levels, and the higher level the less clothing they wear. They took out a number of pictures for some of the cards. Something like 40 pictures I think out of 300ish+. The company made a post about it with some of the censored content.

Where did they post that?

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

Where did they post that?

Here

They didn't actually post the images, but they are easy to find.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options

Given that none of the usual third parties wanted to localize the game in the first place, IFI's statements have suggested they needed to bring the game over with the least amount of expense + drama. I'm no fan of cutting content, but I understand their situation and think they made the most of a myriad of poor options.

This is getting off on a tangent, but I feel the same way about NISA and every other company (every company) that has been decried in one form or another for censoring or ruining or whatever some game or property. There are egregious examples (like every Working Designs game, and that isn't even on "censorship" grounds), but at some fundamental level, it's business --- companies for all sorts of reasons have to walk a line between sending a game out to die with the AO kiss of death, or getting the wrong nation's governmental agency on their case, or getting the fanbase to find torches and pitchforks. It is an unenviable position, but it beats not getting the games at all, which is a real possibility sometimes.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Probably more often than not, really.

If localizing a game is guaranteed to be a shitshow for either their lawyers or their reputation, do you think any given company is going to spend money to do it?

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    (Looks into this.)

Hm. Somehow, Japan sexualized women less than I expected.

First time for everything.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I get why they censored it and why they didn't replace the censored ones but it still bothers me a little and I want to give them money so they keep giving us games but I'm also just very against censorship in its entirety. I will have to think deeply upon my conflicted feelings. Though I've probably bought something censored and did not realize it. SO MUCH SHAME ON ME!

I had the same issue with Mugen Souls. That game looks fun as fuck to play. The combat looked awesome. But the censorship of the bathing scene made me less inclined to purchase the game. Not that I care if that part of the game (or the cards in Monster Monpiece) are in the game but I feel like I've taken this stand against censorship for so long that I can't go back now.

At the same time I don't want to miss out on fun games.

Stragint on

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    My policy on censorship is that I oppose it right up until the point where I wouldn't want to be standing in a courtroom in Georgia with a prosecutor putting slides up on a projector while saying "and THIS is the sort of 'game' the defendant was playing, your honor"

Looking at some of those Monster Monpiece cards, they maaaaaay just have crossed that line.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Thought I'd mention, thus far Ratchet and Clank is pretty great. Only bug I've found is with audio, music cut out on the second stage. I believe I'd read that this is only in the first game, and that the second and third don't have such issues. It's also pretty minor, and I'm guessing they'll patch it up at some point. Also, Rogue Legacy is pretty great.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think maybe in this case, the best course of action is to buy the game, but write the US publisher a letter letting them know that you'd appreciate it if they can avoid censorship in the future.

• Options
    I personally tend to rationalize it by thinking "you know, there's likely at least one movie I loved the fuck out of that would have been NC-17 at one point until someone said 'I know this is in the can, but if we cut this one scene it'd be rated R and we'd make 100x the dollars and actually show up in theaters' and someone else said 'do it'". I probably wouldn't have seen it, and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. There's a lot to be said for the sanctity of the original work and everything, but rationally, I'd rather play these games however I can. And I feel I can still do this while speaking favorably towards a world where an AO rating isn't a scarlet letter or whatever.

• Options
    My policy on censorship is that I oppose it right up until the point where I wouldn't want to be standing in a courtroom in Georgia with a prosecutor putting slides up on a projector while saying "and THIS is the sort of 'game' the defendant was playing, your honor"

Looking at some of those Monster Monpiece cards, they maaaaaay just have crossed that line.

I can definitely get behind this. There is definitely a line that shouldn't be crossed but then I start to think about the difference in culture. Japan definitely allows stuff that wouldn't be allowed in the US but there are still reputable businesses that sell that stuff in the US. I will always find this weird.
    bss wrote: »
    I personally tend to rationalize it by thinking "you know, there's likely at least one movie I loved the fuck out of that would have been NC-17 at one point until someone said 'I know this is in the can, but if we cut this one scene it'd be rated R and we'd make 100x the dollars and actually show up in theaters' and someone else said 'do it'". I probably wouldn't have seen it, and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. There's a lot to be said for the sanctity of the original work and everything, but rationally, I'd rather play these games however I can. And I feel I can still do this while speaking favorably towards a world where an AO rating isn't a scarlet letter or whatever.

I also like this line of thinking. I have no doubt I've watched and really enjoyed some movies that wouldn't have been allowed otherwise.

I guess I should modify my stance on censorship and see if it will fit in with my views on things.

• Options

I'm now curious what you're already into that you expect that to happen and be used against you at some point.

But then, you are talking about Georgia. (hur hur)

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The ratings thing is weird too, because sex is judged far more harshly than violence. There is no way in hell I wouldn't personally give The Raid 2 an NC-17 rating on pure unadulterated brutal violence alone but nope, somehow it got an R rating for reasons I will never understand. Like... there's no way in hell I'd ever show that movie to a kid, as great as it was.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    The ratings thing is weird too, because sex is judged far more harshly than violence. There is no way in hell I wouldn't personally give The Raid 2 an NC-17 rating on pure unadulterated brutal violence alone but nope, somehow it got an R rating for reasons I will never understand. Like... there's no way in hell I'd ever show that movie to a kid, as great as it was.

Monster Monpiece is M in North America, and PEGI 12 in Europe because it's mostly non-violent. Cultural values are funny (and fun to observe).

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Monster Monpiece is M in North America, and PEGI 12 in Europe because it's mostly non-violent. Cultural values are funny (and fun to observe).

The NA/EU difference on whether violence or sexuality is worse has always amused me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

I really find stuff like that interesting and funny. It makes the US look so absurdly repressed and ass backwards.

So how exactly does Monster Monpiece play? Is it fun and worth $30? Kind of considering Monster Monpiece or VLR (still need to getting a surviving ending in 999 though). Maybe even Blackrock Shooter. Shit, may even consider TxK or Ratchet and clank collection since I've never played that. Just need to figure out what to delete. Probably Monster Hunter freedom, mega man X and gravity rush.

I can download anything I delete later on without issues, right?