As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's there because even 'solo' it's going through the normal server queue; and that 30s gives you time to invite friends before the match starts. I don't mind that they don't want to set up a totally different start-up/server sequence just for solo play.

I can understand wanting to start when you push the button, but I just personally don't find it to be a big deal at all.

I think I'm going to start leveling a Barbarian to use in pubbie play, that way I'm not concerned about layouts and stuff. I'll let others satisfy their OCD and just beat on shit. I'll reserve solo/private play for having to be in control. :P

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Hey @Broncbuster sorry I didn't see your message last night. I had loaded the game up and saw a 1gb+ patch and left it and forgot I had it running most of the night. :(

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    No worries. I'm up to 22 on EV and 14 on squire.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Saw a curious screen when I was installing DDE on my laptop.

2073ozt.png

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Just bought this. Add Heffling if you want another person to play with.

• Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    Someone messaged me the other night. I had the launcher up downloading the game while I was asleep, sorry! Been leveling up a ranger. I figured just go full hero and shoot goblins with a minigun. Use my mana to upgrade other people stuff or drop a proximity trap on an area that needs some temp shoring up.

So far I like it. I never got too far in the original, it was fun though.

Steam profile should be in my sig. How do you add friends in game? (OH yeah i'm 'stregone' in-game).

• Options
    Stregone wrote: »
    Someone messaged me the other night. I had the launcher up downloading the game while I was asleep, sorry! Been leveling up a ranger. I figured just go full hero and shoot goblins with a minigun. Use my mana to upgrade other people stuff or drop a proximity trap on an area that needs some temp shoring up.

Steam profile should be in my sig. How do you add friends in game? (OH yeah i'm 'stregone' in-game).

F11 to bring up the overlay and then click the friends icon (i forget which one). You just 'search' for someone and if it finds them it'll attempt to friend them. I'm not sure if you can friend people offline.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey does anyone know if the app version of the game has cross play with the PC version? Or if the account/characters are at least shared?

EDIT: Nevermind I guess; apparently my phone isn't compatible. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I just realised that the different weapons have special effects, like piercing enemies. It looks like there are some new weapon types not found in the old dungeon defenders wiki. Anyone know if there is anything up to date yet?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Not that I know of. I'm sure with time people will start updating stuff to Eternity.

In a weird oddity, the level cap in Eternity is 60 again. I'm not entirely sure why they went with that, if they're planning on putting in a higher cap later, or if they've just rebalanced everything to be the same-ish stats for the relative level and calling it good.

Now that I think about it, I'm really completely unaware what their intention is with Eternity as far as content support. It's clear they're super on top of fixing bugs and listening to feedback, but I'm curious if they intend in expanding the content of it past what the base game had. I mean, they already have more maps, so I guess?

Countess to 35. Went from 27-35 in a Foundries and Forges Hard survival. I got lucky and someone was clearing PLing a friend or an alt account and set up everything with their 60 and then just parked most of the map to keep the towers buffed up. Me and the other two players were just on repair duty. Still, got a little hairy at the end, given that everyone else was below 30, but we made it the whole hour. Got some really nice gear from it too, that 60 dropped a level 5 loot drop increase and rarity increase.

Good times.

I'll probably be on a decent amount tonight, if anyone wants to get some shit killed. Hit me up in-game, Galedrid, or on Steam.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I hope they 'fix' it so that when you join a just started match, you get chest spawns. Currently if you join a game after it is created, even if it's still in the initial build phase, you get no chests and it makes the first wave a bitch.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I hope they 'fix' it so that when you join a just started match, you get chest spawns. Currently if you join a game after it is created, even if it's still in the initial build phase, you get no chests and it makes the first wave a bitch.

Nothing like having 4 defenders but only one of them is able to build anything.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    EDIT: ^^ This particularly sucks on Survival when someone is trying to use their high level to set up a good defense to swap to power level an alt, and no one can feed them mana.

Got to 44 before going to bed.

I know I could probably get to 60 in one or two insane survivals, but it seems like people don't want you there till you're 60. Doing it via hard would take way more.

:(

In other news Mistymire Forest can suck a massive cock and spiders can go fuck themselves. What are you supposed to do about them if no one is playing monk/ranger to set auras or traps? We were all squires and apprentices. We couldn't set up towers in such a way that there wasn't massive gaps in coverage that would allow even one spider to wreck everything.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I'm really liking that new Arcane Library map. Graphically and layout wise, it was a lot of fun to see and play on.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Even Geth likes it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Stregone wrote: »

No worries. That was me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Bronc are you broncbuster in game?

I tried to add you last night (just guessing your name) but couldn't tell if the request goes through if the other person is offline.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    I think the request does go through, I had a couple waiting on me when I logged on this morning (or was it yesterday? I forget)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hrm.

Either I'm misremembering, or Eternity doesn't give as much xp per map as the base game did.

I feel like I could run a Ramparts Hard in old DD and boost a new character to 20 or 30 in one go. I just did it and only got 6 levels on my EV. Powerleveling might not be so easy solo as it was.

EDIT: Maybe I was doing Insane in the base game? It's been awhile. This just doesn't seem right.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    So it seems like for damage upgrades you should always go for the elemental damage? Especially when you can have a 2nd weapon to switch to.

I found a shai tan (or something like that) that had a +1 projectile and upgraded its poison damage and pumped it up to 6 projectiles. It is like a long range flamethrower. Its insane.

• Options
    Funny you mention that; patch just went live and one of the changes:
    Shai Hulud Huntress Weapon no longer has insane speed

• Options
    Damn. I don't see whats so special about that weapon. The ones I tested without the extra projectiles were completely worthless.

• Options
    I always figured elemental damage on a weapon was worthless. Sure, it goes up faster but it seems like a large number of enemies well be immune to it. Better to stick to physical damage that can kill everything

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    If I had to guess there was just an internal bug with the weapon type that allowed it to be shot way faster than usual. You said yourself, it felt like a long range flamethrower; only the flamethrower weapons should feel like that. :P It didn't say it reduced its spread, just its firing rate.

59. For the life of me I can't get in a successful group for Endless Spires or The Summit on Insane. The patch changed Endless Spires balance, and in theory fixed the level scaling of enemies on the final wave, so maybe I should give it a shot again. Last time I tried Endless Spires on solo, everything was a complete joke until the last wave then as soon as I pushed G I was swamped with a dozen assassins and 3 ogres ran up and took down my defenses. In fact that almost exact thing has happened on the pub games I've tried it on too. Hope the patch fixed it.

• Options
    I tested it and the dps went down a bit, but it wasn't a huge nerf or anything. Now my fave weapon though is a zap-o-matic. AOE is nice. Single target dps is only a quarter, but that AOE in those packed groups murderizes 'em.

All classes can equip two weapons, so if you come up against something persistent that is immune to what you are using just switch to something with a different element. plus there's ways to remove the element from enemies.

• Options
    You know, I distinctly remember bitching about the fact that you can't see the level requirements on equipment after you've reached its level, several years ago.

Good to see nothing has changed in that regard. :rotate:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    On elemental weapons: the damage increases way higher when pumping that stat. At 45 I have an average sword that does 2700 fire damage per swing. Started at 220 fire, first upgrade was to 350.

I carry a fire and acid sword. I haven't found a good physical since hitting the 45 gear tier.

I don't know how it reacts when it's ranged weapons.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hit 60 on Countess last night (and finished all the base campaign maps on Insane so I can set up Insane Survivals with them). Started leveling EV immediately after and hit 20. I want to level her up for the physical beams because they're way better than Barricades, health wise (they don't do damage, but if you're relying on Barricades for damage after level 4... :( ) and space wise. Next will probably either be Monk for auras or Barbarian for DPS. I really want to level a Summoner but them combining MU with DU just sucks ass.

Think I'll try to hop into (or create) some Insane Survivals to see if I can get some level 60 gear; the ones I joined last night were full of people level 20 or so with no higher level mains to set up towers with, just hoping to leech XP I guess. Some more PA'ers at higher levels would be fantastic!

I could be wrong on this, but I figured out yesterday that Survivals actually are ass for XP once you're 30 or so. A full hour Hard Survival gives ~100k XP, which you can get substantially faster just running a few Insane maps normally; if you're doing it with pubbies they tend to go really fast too.

Survival, however, seems to be the only way (at least with the base campaign maps, haven't moved past them yet) to actually get gear worth having. Even on Insane, doing maps normally gives gear way below your level, up to and including The Summit. The last 20 minutes of even a Hard Survival tends to give a decent selection of level 60 gear; I would assume Insane starts giving 60 gear earlier.

So even leveling, it's good to balance out your gear/xp by doing a Survival around each gear breakpoint (16, 24, 36, 45; though the first 30 levels are fast enough to maybe not waste your time prior to 24...but you get 24 gear from Easy Survivals so...) because if you're just doing the maps normally the gear will be pretty much universally shit and well below what you should/could have.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Funny, I prioritized the same chars, squire, EV and monk. Traps are pretty great as well this go around too.

I'll be on later this eve if you want to group up and do some stuff. Highest is only 46 though.

Also tentative plans to beat the final few maps of sanctum 2 and 100% that bitch. Shouldn't take long though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, based on my experience the past few days everyone is prioritizing Squire/Countess over everything. It was rare I did any pubs with anything other than those.

Which is too bad because if you even had one person on Monk or EV everything went far more smoothly, particularly in Survivals.

Apprentice/Adepts are useful too, particularly in Wyvern heavy maps, but I don't know if it's just the people using them I was playing with had absolutely no idea how to properly set up the towers, but they weren't being terribly helpful. One guy in an almost successful Mistymire kept bitching about the lightning towers, yet continued to place tons of them over the missle/fireball towers. :rotate: I don't think I ever leveled one very far in the base game. IIRC Countess and Monk were my two highest.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Monk and EV were my bag previously.

What I've found:
    Bowling balls are salvation.
    The big gun the Mage has prioritized air so I was told
    EV walls are good
    Auras are good too
    Fireball is good with good gear so I was told.
    Harpoons are still pretty good but bowling balls seem better

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bowling balls anywhere that has any sort of downhill ramp.

Harpoons on anything totally flat (and obviously Wyverns).

But yeah, I don't know if it is balance changes from the base game to Eternity, but Bowling Balls never really did much for me in the base game but here they're just absurdly good. I can't imagine they're not gonna get nerfed. Some areas you don't even need to set up barricades because a trio or so of bowling balls will kill even ogres long before they can get to the turrets.

Also I used to use the shit out of spinning sword turrets, but they don't feel as useful here.

• Options
    Monk and EV were my bag previously.

What I've found:
    Bowling balls are salvation.
    The big gun the Mage has prioritized air so I was told
    EV walls are good
    Auras are good too
    Fireball is good with good gear so I was told.
    Harpoons are still pretty good but bowling balls seem better

Bowling balls are fucking amazing at the tops of stairs. They're absolute murder machines.

That said, I'm leveling an apprentice, EV, and barb. After I get them higher I'll level up a monk, and then summoner. I was thinking a support summoner would be pretty cool, able to quickly heal and repair all over the map, plus the two pets activated abilities and 4 amulets gives him a lot of options.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Just a heads up; the additional 25% off for being a new release will disappear in 36 hours from this post (i.e. when sales rollover on Tuesday).

There'll still be the 45% off for previous owners (and who doesn't own DD), but 70% off is better than 45%!

• Options
    Jesus, just did Palantir for the first time and it took forfuckingever. The final wave had about 1200 mobs in it, on normal difficulty. It didn't help that we didn't have any good dps people on and when the boss came we nearly wiped multiple times. One of the two cores only had like, 30 hp left by the time we managed to kill it. It took two of us frantically healing and placing new towers just to keep from getting overrun, and we barely managed to do that much. I won't be doing that again any time soon, that's for certain. I did feel bad though because the guy that started the match left or was disconnected about 40 seconds before we downed the boss. All that work for nothing.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Failed a hard survival today at 59:59.

Thank god a couple of level 25ish characters joined and went AFK! Else I'd never have been able to get so close, without succeeding.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    No afk timer, no way to kick, random peeps.

Yup, can't see how that would go wrong!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Hmm...I'll have to check later but I feel like there is a way to kick if you're the host, via the overlay (so not in-game), but I didn't look too closely.

But yes, they need a system to deal with the afkers in survival. Fortunately I've only had it happen once or twice, but it's still a major problem.

Though, I wouldn't sweat not fully finishing a survival. AFAIK there's not any bonuses to doing so, it doesn't have a final bonus thing like campaign maps do; it just gives you a minute or two at the end to freely pick up loot (which, granted, can be a big deal given that the best loot drops in the last few minutes). The XP does ramp up, but Survivals really aren't your best bet for XP anyway, even if you can do them to completion.

It is, however, quite frustrating to die right at the end. A group I was in failed at 59:08 the other day, and I hadn't been picking up loot because I was so focused on repairing, so I lost a lot of potentially good gear. And sure enough, the same Squire who had been standing on the crystal the whole map was still right there (though dead obviously) when it ended. ><

• Options
    Survival on insane with the loot and xp boosters is fucking nutso. I have so much gear I can't even use yet but I don't give a shit.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I haven't been able to play for a few days because I've been working on the house; but I'd love to actually get into an Insane survival where 1)I'm not the only 60 and 2)lasts more than 2 minutes. :(

But yeah I should definitely amend my "survival isn't good for XP" statement to "if you're not using an XP booster, Survival isn't good for XP" because double xp means you could get damn near 250k xp on a full completion of a Hard survival; more if you do latter maps with more diverse enemies (with higher scores).

This discussion has been closed.