Options

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    It's more "he's the only one right for serving humanity's needs in a political sense." Saving the universe is coincidental.

They literally start the game with two guys talking about him and one says "Is that the kind of person we want protecting the galaxy?" and the other responds "that's the only kind of person who can protect the galaxy." I guess when I said save it was a bit of a hyperbole, but this is the kind of story cliche that completely stops immersion for me. When it starts out that early, it takes a bit to get me back into the game.

That's a fair point. From a lore perspective, though, they meant "protect" in the sense of "policing," not being the savior. I remember enjoying and questioning that dialogue the first time through, but I had been following the game's development so I knew what they were trying to say. In hindsight, that could have been worded a little better by them.

• Options
    Hey, Super Time Force Ultra hits Steam on the 25th! Sweet!

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    header_292x136.jpg

So, the new DLC for Surgeon Simulator is out, it adds eye and teeth operations (yup!) and a bunch of other stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    You know what'd make Mass Effect more palatable to me on PC? Controller support.

I mean, I get why it's not there. But I don't have to like it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    @Icemopper, the beginning of ME1 can be pretty dull, especially if you get caught in the vortex of Citadel sidequests. I'd definitely recommend playing it before the sequels unless you really can't stand it, though. Most of the plot is pretty forgettable and at least one entire story planet is basically irrelevant, but if you stick with it ME1 has the best denouement I can recall ever seeing in a videogame—the last two or three hours of that game are incredible. Also, you'll get to know Wrex and he'll be around in your sequel import, which is good because he's the best squadmate in the first game and a standout in a crew mostly comprised of race avatars. (The character writing improved tremendously in the sequels.)

Also you definitely want to play it before the sequels because if you ever decide to go back to see what you missed out on, it's going to be agony after the gameplay redesign. I don't know what you're playing but you can just toggle it down to easy to expedite matters, and if you're playing one of the biotic classes, you'll become a god somewhere around level 30. Also, if you have the pistol skill, that surprisingly becomes the best weapon in the game.
    jclast wrote: »
    And Borderlands and Diablo universes both have towns called Sanctuary.

...so does Mass Effect. :open_mouth:

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    You know what'd make Mass Effect more palatable to me on PC? Controller support.

I don't get why it's not there. Controller support is the best.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    That's basically where all of my ME attempts have ended.

I figured, like most games, that if you left something undone, it wouldn't be there when you got back to the Citadel.

So, I'd really enjoy the Eden Prime stuff, then get to the Citadel, then run around playing errand boy and ... lose steam.

Maybe I'll load up my last save and try just getting the hell out of Dodge.

I understand the idea behind the start of ME1. Start with some action to make a big splash, then slow it right down and introduce the setting and backstory. After that, get on with the game proper.

However, the execution wasn't so great. The first Citadel section drags on forever and kills the excitement promised at Eden Prime.

Don't get me wrong - I love Mass Effect, but I just don't understand how Bioware could screw up the start to their new big franchise like that.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular

I don't get why it's not there. Controller support is the best.

Well, the ME games came out when controller support on PC was either unheard of (ME1) or a rarity (2&3), so it's understandable.

I'm glad that's changing. As much as I don't understand people who want to play shooters with controllers, more options is generally better.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I was using my 360 controller for other games when ME1 came out, it's more the fact that it's a port of a 360 game that makes leaving out controller support so odd

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    getdarkergetdarker Registered User regular
    Anyone want to play some Divinity: Original Sin with me tomorrow? I have the day free and only a few of my friends have it. One caveat-- I'm not very far in the game at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Yes, just as weird as when I sacrifice the spare goat I keep tethered to my desk the moment I see someone fail to properly enjoy Alpha Centauri.

Its a sickness.

Also goats are expensive.

Stop buying hand reared, genetically engineered gold-thread fur goats, and the price will drop dramatically.

But how, then, will I freshly upholster my learjet between flights?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    header_292x136.jpg

So, the new DLC for Surgeon Simulator is out, it adds eye and teeth operations (yup!) and a bunch of other stuff.

Nooooooope.

Nope nope nope.

NOPE.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    header_292x136.jpg

No. Just no. Hell no and fuck no.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    According to Reddit, this is how the HL3 announcement will happen. Seems legit!

bzffVkC.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular

bzffVkC.jpg

After all the self-generating hype and longing for this game, I hope they only announce it when it's available. Like, an hour before or something. The entire internet will have an stroke if they have to wait.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

bzffVkC.jpg

After all the self-generating hype and longing for this game, I hope they only announce it when it's available. Like, an hour before or something. The entire internet will have an stroke if they have to wait.

You don't think they'll enable pre-loads to avoid a tremendous server error the day of release?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    They'll just turn the servers off and go home.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    They'll just turn the servers off and go home.

They should just put a Bittorrent client into the Steam client to save on server load.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'd never expect Valve to go for this now, but such eventualities are what physical releases are useful for.

Mind you, just the authentication of that many copies would crash every server thay have...

• Options

I still like my plan: Episode 3 is free to play. Because Episode 3 is really the demo for Half-Life 3.

I'll take that a step further: make Episode 3 look like HL2. Then during the course of gameplay, add some feature that makes everything go "BWAAAAAAHMSOURCE2MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!" Kind of like going from B&W to color in Wizard of Oz.

Anyways, back to reality.

• Options

bzffVkC.jpg

You don't think they'll enable pre-loads to avoid a tremendous server error the day of release?

They should force every Steam client to silently to pre-load it by default. That would be fantastic.

If you don't have sufficient drive space, it will delete some games for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    HL3 is going to be a thirty-minute choose-your-own text adventure rendered in crisp 1080p, 12pt Verdana. It'll take up 41mb, including the audio outro.

It was actually completed in 2011, but they haven't released it yet because they determined the global net infrastructure isn't developed enough to withstand its release without crippling modern society for up to a week.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    HL3 is going to be a thirty-minute choose-your-own text adventure rendered in crisp 1080p, 12pt Verdana. It'll take up 41mb, including the audio outro.

It was actually completed in 2011, but they haven't released it yet because they determined the global net infrastructure isn't developed enough to withstand its release without crippling modern society for up to a week.

I'd play it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    As much as I'd like to see HL3, I wonder how yet another FPS in which you pretty much just walk forward and shoot aliens in a dystopian sci-fi future could possibly reach that "best damn thing ever" status these days. The first two Half Lifes were great, but...haven't we moved on from that kind of thing a bit? Could be that the endless delays are just...Valve not being all that creatively interested in the project.

Here's hoping I'm wrong, though.

• Options
    So in a week, these giveaways I am doing will end. The month and day coincides numerically with my expulsion from a uterus.

happy-troy.gif

But in all seriousness, my birthday is in a week, and I wanted to do a little giveaway because that's what this place is all about. These are gonna be a mix of games that I think are kinda cool, and games I've heard good things about.

Standard SteamGifts rules apply: be a member of PAGT, don't be a weird, be fairly active on the forums, etc.

Troll your friends with Crawl
    signature.png

Psychedelic roguelike FPS where you will probably die because you forgot to pick up your shot bullets
    signature.png

Like I said before, you're a Russian astrodog with a gun
    signature.png

I hear it's like if they made Airplane! into a video game
    signature.png

Nothing like a stroll through the insane asylum to end your summer
    signature.png

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The steam logo on my taskbar has changed.
    obhxi990bmwm.jpg

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    @Icemopper, the beginning of ME1 can be pretty dull, especially if you get caught in the vortex of Citadel sidequests. I'd definitely recommend playing it before the sequels unless you really can't stand it, though. Most of the plot is pretty forgettable and at least one entire story planet is basically irrelevant, but if you stick with it ME1 has the best denouement I can recall ever seeing in a videogame—the last two or three hours of that game are incredible. Also, you'll get to know Wrex and he'll be around in your sequel import, which is good because he's the best squadmate in the first game and a standout in a crew mostly comprised of race avatars. (The character writing improved tremendously in the sequels.)

Also you definitely want to play it before the sequels because if you ever decide to go back to see what you missed out on, it's going to be agony after the gameplay redesign. I don't know what you're playing but you can just toggle it down to easy to expedite matters, and if you're playing one of the biotic classes, you'll become a god somewhere around level 30. Also, if you have the pistol skill, that surprisingly becomes the best weapon in the game.
    And Borderlands and Diablo universes both have towns called Sanctuary.

...so does Mass Effect. :open_mouth:

That's good to know, because I've put all my points into the Pistol so far.

A lot of it seems like KOTOR so far, which is actually encouraging, because KOTOR was dull for the first planet as well. I know comparisons are drawn between the two all the time, which is what led to me really wanting to finally give ME a try.

I'll get back into it and see what I can make of it. Thanks for the encouragement, all.

• Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    obhxi990bmwm.jpg

Just checked for updates. Now downloading 89MB.

It's here...

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    obhxi990bmwm.jpg
    Congratulations! You have been chosen to be part of Circle Team!
    Now, every time you craft a Steam badge you will earn points... wait, wrong season. Forget it.
    Triangle Team will rule supreme! S3OnfQC.png

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Hit BiT we know thats not a true symbol.. how many sides does it have?!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Wow, this is actually pretty nice. It appears my fears were unfounded. But that's because Valve didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater like everyone else and actually did a good job. Looks good.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wow, this is actually pretty nice. It appears my fears were unfounded. But that's because Valve didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater like everyone else and actually did a good job. Looks good.

Everything seems nice so far, except that non-steam game shortcuts that are in your Favorites don't seem to stick there...

EDIT: Wait, no. Games are repeated in both favorite and whatever other category you have them? Err...

EDIT2: But now you can add multiple categories! :open_mouth:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Everything seems nice so far, except that non-steam game shortcuts that are in your Favorites don't seem to stick there...

EDIT: Wait, no. Games are repeated in both favorite and whatever other category you have them? Err...

Yeah, games can have multiple categories assigned to them now. It was in the mahoosive changelog.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    God damn it

Another game that I have to avoid because it's the low violence version

Thanks germany...

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Wow, text is super tiny now. I don't need something like the Bioshock interface, but they maybe went a little overboard in minimizing font size.

• Options
    I've been in Steam Beta for a while, and I haven't noticed any massive changes. Steam is now kind blue themed instead of black, and some of the font choices have changed, but besides the obvious categories stuff and button colors, that's basically it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, games can have multiple categories assigned to them now. It was in the mahoosive changelog.

Oh be still, my obsessive compulsive heart . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    God damn it

Another game that I have to avoid because it's the low violence version

Thanks germany...

Which one?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD MULTIPLE CATEGORIES.

Now I can turn my library into a true labyrinth of genre and sub-genre. It will be like the Ouroboros.

• Options
    obhxi990bmwm.jpg

Just checked for updates. Now downloading 89MB.

It's here...

9MB of Steam, 80MB of HL3. They're starting with small pieces.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.