As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I know next to nothing about Wong. I was just thinking how evocative Dracula was, and that it could be pretty damn cool if the Dr. Strange movie was told in a similar manner, with Wong as Harker and Dr. Strange as Dracula.

I guess what I'm saying is Gary Oldman for Dr. Strange?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about Wong. I was just thinking how evocative Dracula was, and that it could be pretty damn cool if the Dr. Strange movie was told in a similar manner, with Wong as Harker and Dr. Strange as Dracula.

I guess what I'm saying is Gary Oldman for Dr. Strange?

Strange is not Dracula. Strange kicks Dracula's ass.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Just make wong Dr. Strange's watson

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ooh, they could do like the American Sherlock and make Wong a woman.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

We want this to be good though.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    "Marvel's too CONSERVATIVE for a female or non-white lead!

...but only when i put the specification that it has to only include movies..."

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

I like Elementary....

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

I like Elementary....

Yeh, it's no BBC Sherlock, but as serial cop shows go it's top tier stuff. I like the twists they put on the relationships, so when someone like Lestrade or Mycroft shows up, you get a whole new take on em.

Also re: casting Strange, last we heard Joaquin Phoenix was the guy, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    sullijo wrote: »
    Question re: GOTG:
    Is Xandar just a planet with lots of different species, or is there also a Xandarian race? That was never clear to me. (I've never read Marvel's cosmic books.) At first I thought Xandarians all look like regular humans (eg Nova Prime), but then the Broker talked about Ronan threatening his culture and I started to think that Xandar is more of a melting pot without a single Xandarian race.

It's the only question I really walked out of the theater with.
    I'm not familiar with it from the comics, but
    it looked like a busting commerce world to me. Much more of a melting pot than a revered homeworld sort of thing. My impression is that the presence of Nova command was at least part of Ronan's issue with Xandar.

Comics Nova Corps GotG answer:
    In the comics, the Xandarian race has been dead for a long long time. Eventually, other races found their ruins along with the "Worldmind" which was a data repository of the entirty of Xandarian culture and power. Inspired by the legacy of the Xandarians, they went on to form the Nova Corps, an intergalactic police force based on the old Xandarian ideals.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

Yes, this is the issue of the day.

It's not that bizarre a concept to hold their TV and Movies to separate standards; just because they're giving leads to minorities in their television department doesn't ignore the fact that they haven't done a movie yet without a white male lead.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TV is a much lower investment of capital. Movies they need to be sure they break even since there's so much more cash on the line. Hollywood conventional wisdom is that you need a white male lead to achieve that. Of course hollywood conventional wisdom tells you making a comic book movie a ridiculous space opera with characters nobody's thought about for 20 years is insanity but Marvel pulled it off.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I like Elementary....

Yeh, it's no BBC Sherlock, but as serial cop shows go it's top tier stuff. I like the twists they put on the relationships, so when someone like Lestrade or Mycroft shows up, you get a whole new take on em.

That was the rumor, but there's been no official statement yet.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

I like Elementary....

That was the rumor, but there's been no official statement yet.

it was down to cumberbatch and phoenix with phoenix looking extremely likely but it sounds like they couldn't get contracts done in time for comic con.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I thought Joaquinn Phoenix was confirmed for Strange?

Strange is like the FF for me where his whiteness (his white privilege if you will) is part of his character. FF is a family of genius astronauts who become rich superheroes who still have familial dysfunction and insecurities and flaws as they save the world. Strange is an aristocratic surgeon who calls back to Victorian ideas of elite secret societies and occultism that approaches his "heroism" like its noblesse oblige.

Sometimes whiteness is just default, but sometimes its a part of the background/foundation of the character.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    There has been no confirmation for Strange. Everyone was expecting it at SDCC, but it didn't happen.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    SDCC was a pretty big bust this year. We didn't really get much info on any of their upcoming movies or heck, even shows. It was pretty disappointing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was real surprised there was no Age of Ultron trailer. We're relatively close to release and there's nothing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Yeah, I was real surprised there was no Age of Ultron trailer. We're relatively close to release and there's nothing.

The first proper Avengers trailer came out at the Superbowl, not counting the little tease they originally did after Cap 1. I suspect that's where we'll see the first Age of Ultron one as well.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    What made it worse was that right before SDCC Marvel announced a bunch of movie dates, which would lead anyone to think that they would announce what some of these mystery movies were. Besides the really quick GotG2 announcement, there was nothing.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    What made it worse was that right before SDCC Marvel announced a bunch of movie dates, which would lead anyone to think that they would announce what some of these mystery movies were. Besides the really quick GotG2 announcement, there was nothing.

But what about that "I got no strings" trailer that played?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Why are they not hiring Del Toro for Dr. Strange? Even if you don't use him as a director hire him as the art director! He designs and makes props for his movies, and tell me Strange couldn't do with a scene like the troll market.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Why are they not hiring Del Toro for Dr. Strange? Even if you don't use him as a director hire him as the art director! He designs and makes props for his movies, and tell me Strange couldn't do with a scene like the troll market.

Probably because del Toro is fully booked with a half dozen different projects.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Probably because del Toro is fully booked with a half dozen different projects.

Del Toro just needs to get back to At the Mountains of Madness. If he needs to put Dr. Strange in it, fine, whatever. Maybe make it a Deadpool vehicle instead. Elder Things vs. Wolverine?

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    sullijo wrote: »
    Question re: GOTG:
    Is Xandar just a planet with lots of different species, or is there also a Xandarian race? That was never clear to me. (I've never read Marvel's cosmic books.) At first I thought Xandarians all look like regular humans (eg Nova Prime), but then the Broker talked about Ronan threatening his culture and I started to think that Xandar is more of a melting pot without a single Xandarian race.

It's the only question I really walked out of the theater with.
    I'm not familiar with it from the comics, but
    it looked like a busting commerce world to me. Much more of a melting pot than a revered homeworld sort of thing. My impression is that the presence of Nova command was at least part of Ronan's issue with Xandar.

Comics Nova Corps GotG answer:
    In the comics, the Xandarian race has been dead for a long long time. Eventually, other races found their ruins along with the "Worldmind" which was a data repository of the entirty of Xandarian culture and power. Inspired by the legacy of the Xandarians, they went on to form the Nova Corps, an intergalactic police force based on the old Xandarian ideals.

Huh - that's pretty cool. Thanks!

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Honestly, I could do without Wong. It's hard to imagine any incarnation of the character that doesn't reinforce stereotypes - even if they strip out the racist caricature and just make him a sidekick, that in and of itself is a stereotype.

Edit: This is based on what little I know from reading wiki articles on the internet for all of 10 minutes.

Wong works just fine if they make him Strange's partner, not his servant, and don't have him dress like he's living through the Boxer rebellion.

I forget where I read it, but wasn't Wong also one of Strange's master's pupils? And he had long hair and was cocky as all get out?

I want that Wong, but instead of, "embraced role as Strange's servant" I want, "I'm keeping an eye on you because master was DUMB making you Sorcerer Supreme and you're gonna fuck it up. So I'm gonna make sure that dosen't happen."

I want cocky, arrogant Wong as Strange's Watson.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Honestly, I could do without Wong. It's hard to imagine any incarnation of the character that doesn't reinforce stereotypes - even if they strip out the racist caricature and just make him a sidekick, that in and of itself is a stereotype.

Edit: This is based on what little I know from reading wiki articles on the internet for all of 10 minutes.

Wong works just fine if they make him Strange's partner, not his servant, and don't have him dress like he's living through the Boxer rebellion.

I forget where I read it, but wasn't Wong also one of Strange's master's pupils? And he had long hair and was cocky as all get out?

I want that Wong, but instead of, "embraced role as Strange's servant" I want, "I'm keeping an eye on you because master was DUMB making you Sorcerer Supreme and you're gonna fuck it up. So I'm gonna make sure that dosen't happen."

I want cocky, arrogant Wong as Strange's Watson.

That's the origin story for Baron Mordo. Wong has always been Strange's loyal man-servant. Sometimes writers use him as Strange's conscience, the dude who speaks truth to his power, but most of the time he's just an even duller version of Alfred.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

It's true.

Del Toro has 20 movies in the pipe line at any given moment. Many projects of his never see the light of day.

• Options

There was a non-canon story that came out a few years back that depicted Wong in that fashion, but it's not his usual shtick. In the canon Wong is the latest in a long family line, descended from a priest named Kan. The first-born male of this family trains, from a young age, to serve the Sorcerer Supreme, whomever he or she may be. When they die, the next member of the family in line takes their place.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

There was a non-canon story that came out a few years back that depicted Wong in that fashion, but it's not his usual shtick. In the canon Wong is the latest in a long family line, descended from a priest named Kan. The first-born male of this family trains, from a young age, to serve the Sorcerer Supreme, whomever he or she may be. When they die, the next member of the family in line takes their place.

Wong is a character that has been featured in comics since 1963, but you literally cannot find anyone posting about the best or favorite Wong story. He would be an extremely easy character to jettison.

In terms of modernization, Asian Manservant is a tricky character to update at the best of times. If I had to include him in a movie, I'd probably make him something like Strange's fellow surgeon pal from the old days.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Wong is a character that has been featured in comics since 1963, but you literally cannot find anyone posting about the best or favorite Wong story. He would be an extremely easy character to jettison.

In terms of modernization, Asian Manservant is a tricky character to update at the best of times. If I had to include him in a movie, I'd probably make him something like Strange's fellow surgeon pal from the old days.

Exactly, they need to update him. Making him as Dr. Strange's Alfred is going to bore the audience. I like the thought about making him Dr. Strange's Watson.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Wong is a perfectly fine character, and has a number of good stories under his belt, most recently The Oath. I won't deny the "Asian manservant" thing is an issue, but by simply elevating Wong from a servant to an equal he works well as a character. You shouldn't write off what he can contribute to the story out of hand.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

there was a trailer but they haven't released it for the public yet.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

there was a trailer but they haven't released it for the public yet.

The first Winter Soldier trailer I can find was released in October of last year, which was 6 to 7 months before release. If Marvel sticks to that, we should see the first Age of Ultron trailer in October or November.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Wong is a perfectly fine character, and has a number of good stories under his belt, most recently The Oath. I won't deny the "Asian manservant" thing is an issue, but by simply elevating Wong from a servant to an equal he works well as a character. You shouldn't write off what he can contribute to the story out of hand.

Make Wong the audience insert; a young person that stumbles into Strange's world and sticks around to be a part of it.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Houn wrote: »

Make Wong the audience insert; a young person that stumbles into Strange's world and sticks around to be a part of it.

The easiest way they could make a story in media res about Strange that also allowed them to cover his origin without using up too much time would be to make the movie about how Strange and Wong became friends.

It's a really simple solution. The Ancient One sends Wong to help his successor as the final part of Wong's training. Strange, even as an enlightened man, doesn't open up easily. Make the story about him and Wong learning to trust each other, and demonstrate that trust by having Strange eventually open up about his past (after sprinkling the movie beforehand with hints and foreshadowing that puzzle Wong). Plus, while Wong is a terrific bodyguard and fighter, he's not as knowledgeable about magic, so he also works as a Watson.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they added another companion into the movie, and more in sequels. Strange needs to cycle out his Watsons because his exposition essentially gives them all a university-grade course in magic, and you need to keep supplying him with audience surrogates who don't know all that stuff and will keep asking questions.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Wong in the cartoon movie was handled pretty well. He works for the Sorcerer Supreme but helped train Strange, was shown kicking a large amount of ass throughout the flick, and was shown pushing Strange whenever he needed it. So yeah, he's basically a Watson/companion/early on mentor rather than an Asian manservant. Seems like a pretty easy solution to the character really.

EDIT: Wow, typos while still half-asleep EVERYWHERE.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    "Fakefaux wrote: »
    Although it wouldn't surprise me if they added another companion into the movie, and more in sequels. Strange needs to cycle out his Watsons because his exposition essentially gives them all a university-grade course in magic, and you need to keep supplying him with audience surrogates who don't know all that stuff and will keep asking questions.

Clea is right for that.

1607462-1542225_clea__earth_616__000.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2014
    MuddBudd on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    And the nurses all just say go on...

• Options
    Apparently I just needed the first link and to give it a moment to load.