As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    "Hey Heimdall, whatcha watching!?"

"Nothing. 60 Trillion Channels on this damn thing and there is nothing on. And that guy won't stop flipping the channels during commercial breaks. Wait, Guardians of the Galaxy is playing again. Grab me some popcorn!"

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    H
    It would be cool if they brought Blonsky back as a mercenary or some kind of independent contractor, especially if they depower him and return him to a human, with the enhanced abilities he got from the first serum he took. Tim Roth is a great actor and he would be a great recurring character on AoS. He could be like AoS's version of Deathstroke.

I still want Loki to discover the Red Skull somewhere in the Nine Realms and they decide to take revenge on the Avengers, and the first thing they do is bust Abomination out of prison so they have someone to fight the hulk.

I.E. Undead Scottsman wants a Masters of Evil movie.

Avengers 4

No steal a page from Sonys um pile of papers shoved in a sack.

Masters of Evil before Avengers 3

Loki forming a team to humiliate his brother
    Abomb
    Red Skull
    Ultron
    Batroc
    Whiplash 2 provided by Hammer
    Blizzard

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"Midgard has an entertainment device called a 'Netflix'. I am watching all episodes of a saga they call 'Breaking Bad'. At once."

How the guy avoids spoilers I do not know.

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Heimdall and The Watcher must be amazing drinking buddies.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Heimdall and The Watcher must be amazing drinking buddies.

Staring contest!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    "I am watching a motion entertainment saga entitled Luther. I find that I highly relate to the protagonist."

In other news, I watched the IMAX 3D version of GotG yesterday and it was noticeably superior to the previous two times I saw it, because this is one of those rare films where the makers go nuts with little details, and stuff I never noticed before were clear, like how (mentioned in this thread previously)
    Rocket's ship in the final battle has giant fucking cannons compared to the Ravagers. Because of course it does. He probably modded them himself in ten minutes.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "I'm watching The Watcher watch Jane Foster watch Darcy watch her Sim watch TV."
    215508568_vXcEt-L-2.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    So the answer is Heimdall? Heimdall watches the Watchmen?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I bet Ceiling Cat watches Heimdall.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So, this is interesting, if true.
    Doctor Strange, they had a script in house forever….It’s a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange, it’s gotta Baron von Mordo as the bad guy. That’s all gone. Marvel’s new thing is no more origin stories. So Doctor Strange’s movie no longer has an origin. It begins in media res, it’s got Doctor Strange all ready established as The Sorcerer Supreme. It’s a totally new script. Jon Spaiths is working totally new, on his own, without any of the previous stuff. They’re not even touching the previous script….This is not going to be 20 minutes of him as a doctor.

Seems like a good move. You can easily communicate the basics of Strange's backstory through hints and flashbacks, and he's far more interesting as a fully-fledged sorcerer than he is as a rich entitled jackass or a magic novice.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doctor Strange's origin story could work but it'd be too much like Batman Begins.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hell, I've been growing weary of constantly re-telling origins for characters we've already seen them for a dozen times in movies, games, comics, books, cartoons, etc, etc. I'm totally down with his 'origin' consisting of the opening credits/first 5 minutes.

Hell, I'm loving how Marvel has often been including quick recaps in the opening sequences for some movies as well. Personally, I think they're getting pretty good at conveying a lot of info/reminders succinctly.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Doctor Strange, they had a script in house forever….It’s a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange, it’s gotta Baron von Mordo as the bad guy. That’s all gone. Marvel’s new thing is no more origin stories. So Doctor Strange’s movie no longer has an origin. It begins in media res, it’s got Doctor Strange all ready established as The Sorcerer Supreme. It’s a totally new script. Jon Spaiths is working totally new, on his own, without any of the previous stuff. They’re not even touching the previous script….This is not going to be 20 minutes of him as a doctor.

Seems like a good move. You can easily communicate the basics of Strange's backstory through hints and flashbacks, and he's far more interesting as a fully-fledged sorcerer than he is as a rich entitled jackass or a magic novice.

Doctor Strange's origin story also has the problem that, as written, you need to have the first act establish that he is a complete dick then soften him later. This isn't impossible to pull off - it's pretty much how House and Sherlock operate - but it is lot trickier if you are trying to establish a capital-H hero and not just a flawed protagonist.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Doctor Strange's origin story could work but it'd be too much like Batman Begins.

And it would almost definitely suffer from the usual issue with superhero origin movies: we came to see the hero be a hero, so the origin has to only take up part of the movie, while the rest is filled with some mostly unrelated supervillain plot for him to foil. This often makes for a movie with two disconnected halves.

• Options

Doctor Strange's origin story also has the problem that, as written, you need to have the first act establish that he is a complete dick then soften him later. This isn't impossible to pull off - it's pretty much how House and Sherlock operate - but it is lot trickier if you are trying to establish a capital-H hero and not just a flawed protagonist.

Yeah, I think it's much easier to establish what a good man he is in the present, and then to later show what an asshole he used to be in contrast. It's a quick way to demonstrate how far he's come.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh! That's a weird choice. Doctor Strange is not a ubiquitous hero we've seen adapted a hundred times before. Hell, I don't remember him guest starring in the cartoons even. I kinda worry that it'll be this that loses people, not the talking racoon and tree. On the other hand, Marvel has earned like 12 free passes on the strength of Guardians, so...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Hah, I was watching the Doctor Strange flick on Netflix and had that exact thought. If the live action movie avoids being an origin story it would definitely be for the best.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Huh! That's a weird choice. Doctor Strange is not a ubiquitous hero we've seen adapted a hundred times before. Hell, I don't remember him guest starring in the cartoons even. I kinda worry that it'll be this that loses people, not the talking racoon and tree. On the other hand, Marvel has earned like 12 free passes on the strength of Guardians, so...

From their choice of director, it looks like this is going to be Marvel's "horror" movie much like Guardians was Marvel's space movie. That's actually a great way of handling these oddball heroes.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

His origin is also too close to Iron Man's, albeit with actual magic instead of techno magic.

I think I'm generally in favor of Marvel's stance but I worry with Strange it will lead to him feeling a be Dues Ex Machina-y. He already has that major problem a bit like Superman where at times he's written so you wonder why exactly the problem is actually a problem for him.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I think I'm generally in favor of Marvel's stance but I worry with Strange it will lead to him feeling a be Dues Ex Machina-y. He already has that major problem a bit like Superman where at times he's written so you wonder why exactly the problem is actually a problem for him.

That is one of the advantages of an origin story; a training montage is a great way to get across exactly what a hero's powers are, and what limits he has.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Superhero movies are kind of strange in that they're one of the only genres that insist on showing you in great detail how the hero became the hero. You don't watch an action cop movie and spend an hour watching the cop go from rookie to bad-ass, you just see him fully-formed and maybe get two minutes of exposition exploring what made him awesome.

You could make the argument that everybody knows how cops become cops, so we don't need that bit of storytelling, but superhero origins are so uniform that you can make the same argument: X was selfish or complacent or whatever, X got powers from Unique Event, X learned responsibility for his fellow man and adopted the mantle of hero. Spend five minutes filling in the blanks and the audience has everything he needs to know.

So if that Strange story is true, then good for Marvel. Origin stories are entirely unnecessary most of the time.

I kinda like what they're doing with Black Widow. We see her in the films as a fully-formed awesome agent and we get occasional references to her backstory that make you wonder how she got to where she is. If they make a BW movie now, there's enough intrigue that you might want to see it explore her history somewhat, because now we're already attached to the character.

I liked the general idea of Origins: Wolverine too, where we know he's awesome, we've seen him be awesome, and the film is about how he goes from being an awesome asshole to an awesome (anti?)hero. I mean, the movie was bad, but the structure had potential.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

That is one of the advantages of an origin story; a training montage is a great way to get across exactly what a hero's powers are, and what limits he has.

I suspect, instead, we'll get an introductory scene that shows him facing off against a minor villain that establishes who he is and how he works.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Dr. Strange as a flawed protagonist is perfectly fine. And I would like his origin adapted, because I LOVE his origin.

Super-Surgeon who get's into a car accident and loses the precise control needed to use his hands is a fantastic story beat, since he gets into a horrific accident of his own doing, miraculously survives, and the only thing he lost was the ability to perform surgery like he could in the past, and it destroyes him mentally in a way that he WISHES HE DIED, since his hands is what he equated as who he was.

You can fit a good bit of drama in that opening.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    It helps that Strange is essentially Marvel's very own Doctor Who, complete with a rotating cast of companions and apprentices who can ask questions about magic and what's going on that Strange can then answer. He's got built in mechanics that can easily fill you in on his backstory while taking up relatively little time.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Dr. Strange as a flawed protagonist is perfectly fine. And I would like his origin adapted, because I LOVE his origin.

Super-Surgeon who get's into a car accident and loses the precise control needed to use his hands is a fantastic story beat, since he gets into a horrific accident of his own doing, miraculously survives, and the only thing he lost was the ability to perform surgery like he could in the past, and it destroyes him mentally in a way that he WISHES HE DIED, since his hands is what he equated as who he was.

This is more or less the plot of the animated movie; better then half of it is dedicated to Strange overcoming the limits his rational mind places on him and how he needs to let go of stupid shit in his past.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    people are misreading the origin thing. faraci didn't mean they wouldnt touch on it at all in the movie, it won't be 20 minutes of him being the doctor, it won't be batman begins.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Superhero movies are kind of strange in that they're one of the only genres that insist on showing you in great detail how the hero became the hero. You don't watch an action cop movie and spend an hour watching the cop go from rookie to bad-ass, you just see him fully-formed and maybe get two minutes of exposition exploring what made him awesome.

You could make the argument that everybody knows how cops become cops, so we don't need that bit of storytelling, but superhero origins are so uniform that you can make the same argument: X was selfish or complacent or whatever, X got powers from Unique Event, X learned responsibility for his fellow man and adopted the mantle of hero. Spend five minutes filling in the blanks and the audience has everything he needs to know.

So if that Strange story is true, then good for Marvel. Origin stories are entirely unnecessary most of the time.

I kinda like what they're doing with Black Widow. We see her in the films as a fully-formed awesome agent and we get occasional references to her backstory that make you wonder how she got to where she is. If they make a BW movie now, there's enough intrigue that you might want to see it explore her history somewhat, because now we're already attached to the character.

I liked the general idea of Origins: Wolverine too, where we know he's awesome, we've seen him be awesome, and the film is about how he goes from being an awesome asshole to an awesome (anti?)hero. I mean, the movie was bad, but the structure had potential.

Some people have argued everything in origins after he joins weapon x the first time is a memory implant.

This is supported in x1 as theres no bullet in his x rays

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    It helps that Strange is essentially Marvel's very own Doctor Who, complete with a rotating cast of companions and apprentices who can ask questions about magic and what's going on that Strange can then answer. He's got built in mechanics that can easily fill you in on his backstory while taking up relatively little time.

And much like Doctor Who, Strange's powers and knowledge shift with the needs of the plot.

A few years ago, I remember reading that one of the reasons Marvel had kept Strange off-stage so much was that they were planning to completely revamp and define Marvel's systems of magic. I believe that Kieron Gillen was working on the project, but I haven't heard anything about it in years.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

This is more or less the plot of the animated movie; better then half of it is dedicated to Strange overcoming the limits his rational mind places on him and how he needs to let go of stupid shit in his past.
    there's an animated dr strange movie?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Yeah. It's actually not terrible.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Yup! Simply titled Doctor Strange. It's on Netflix and it's pretty decent. Really, my only complaint is that the animation can be a little jerky but I wasn't expecting anything too grand in that department anyway.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

And much like Doctor Who, Strange's powers and knowledge shift with the needs of the plot.

A few years ago, I remember reading that one of the reasons Marvel had kept Strange off-stage so much was that they were planning to completely revamp and define Marvel's systems of magic. I believe that Kieron Gillen was working on the project, but I haven't heard anything about it in years.

Which always seemed silly to me. Marvel has a fine magic system already. Sure, it's full of exceptions, but that's going to happen anyway. It's foolish to think every future Dr. Strange writer will stick to the conventions. Most have retained the broader framework, which is enough.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

This depends entirely on your tolerance for Kung Fu Power Ranger Doctor Strange.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

Marvel had a an animation deal with Lionsgate that produced five movies. Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, The Next Avengers, Planet Hulk and Dr. Strange.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

This depends entirely on your tolerance for Kung Fu Power Ranger Doctor Strange.

Yeah, I was never a fan of that movie. When you've taken Dr. Strange doing stuff like this:

C8f69xn.jpg

...and reduced it to just two guys fighting with energy swords, you've done something wrong.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    On a minor side note: one of the reasons to "skip" the origin story, is the Strange is already established as SOMETHING in the MCU.
    he was named as an Insight target in CA2. At that point he had to already have some sort of powers, at least the beginnings thereof, to be listed as a target.

Dr Strange, excellent surgeon, probably doesn't trigger Insight, and I'm not sure how the program would know "oh hey, this guy might end up able to learn MAGIC and a whole ton of it at that"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    On a minor side note: one of the reasons to "skip" the origin story, is the Strange is already established as SOMETHING in the MCU.
    he was named as an Insight target in CA2. At that point he had to already have some sort of powers, at least the beginnings thereof, to be listed as a target.

Dr Strange, excellent surgeon, probably doesn't trigger Insight, and I'm not sure how the program would know "oh hey, this guy might end up able to learn MAGIC and a whole ton of it at that"

According to Fiege, he was mentioned for being a world famous surgeon who's name Sitwell just pulled out of his butt since it's a well known name. It wasn't because he had powers. (And in fact, Sitwell mentions several other people who don't have powers in his rant)

• Options

I would absolutely love it if they revealed that Strange has been around this whole time, doing his own shtick behind the scenes. Strange is immortal in the comics. They could say his origin story happened back in the seventies and that he's barely noticed the rise of the superheroes and the two alien invasions because he's been too busy. You could open the movie with him getting back from stopping Shuma-Gorath cultists from turning the entire Horsehead Nebula into an eldritch portal. He teleports into the Sanctum Santorum, puts some tea on, hangs his cloak up on a peg, switches on the TV to see if the Mets are playing and gets the news instead.

"Wong, what the devil is all this nonsense about 'iron men?'"

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I keep thinking they would need to tone the magic down a bit for audiences to get the movie.

And then I remember 'Knowhere' actually being in GotG and carry on.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

It's up to the writer to establish his limitations and strengths in magic, that's what Whedon did do well with Avengers - he established what they can do before writing the screenplay. Magic isn't like anything else in fiction, writers have to work on the rules that are consistent otherwise they'll end up with duex ex machine. Doctor Who keeps the tension with good writing by doing this.

Bendis was writing Avengers in that period. Magic isn't his forte, as talented as he is that's outside his wheelhouse. No wonder he sidelined Dr. Strange. Not all writers do this, though they might retcon subjects if they feel it's required. That's why it's vital for writers to have a plan set up for Dr. Strange's magic and the magic system before putting him in stories.

Harry Dresden on