As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh it's just a break

Yeah that's probably for the best then

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    not really considering this has been a chat thread for like a year

it is chattier than ye olde webcomics thread

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well i mean hiatus is synonymous with break :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's easy to think of this as the de facto video game thread in SE++ because that's how I treat it

But it's also not really true

Maybe the break will result in some other game-centric threads seeing a bit of a swell

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with just posting on the giant bomb forums

Well, this may be ironic, but because their mod staff sucks at keeping thing nice like around here.

Tube if you feel like it could you tell us why the change? If not, fair enough.

There's a few thread characteristics we try to avoid
    1. Recurring excessively
    2. Being home to users who don't post anywhere else (particularly if it's a point of pride
    3. Containing a lot of treehousing

Which are true of this thread to at least some extent. It's not really punitive though, I just think the thread could do with a break. I don't think it's ever had one, and I can recall specifically excluding this thread when we last locked a bunch of megathreads. I believe they still have a thread in G&T, although you'll have to, you know, talk about Giant Bomb in it.

Fair enough. That and the whole host of internet personalities related to GB and their stuff are the main reasons I post in either thread.

No I don't.
  • Options
    i'm looking forward to starting my naruto shippuden ultimate ninja STORM revolution thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It probably wouldn't work to have a Super Best Friends thread

Which is a shame

They're the internet video game personalities I actually keep up with

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Okay, we can talk about how my doctor asked me if I had gained weight today.

GEE, I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS THAT NOTICEABLE.

I mean, he probably has my weight on a piece of paper somewhere, but like...jeez. And I posted some photos of myself earlier of me just a few months ago and I swear I felt like the pants I was wearing in those photos used to fit me. And they were nice jeans too.

And now I'm afraid to buy new pants that fit because I'm afraid they won't fit if I ever lose weight again.

that's what belts are for

In an ideal world, I'd lose enough weight that the pants would be too big for even a belt.

I was listening to Jeff on Greg Miller's podcast, and he mentioned finally buying one pair of really nice jeans, and that's what I'm considering. All the jeans I have that fit me still are from the mid 2000s, and I refer to them as my Luke Harper jeans cause they're kinda beaten up and they are like a really washed out blue.

Or maybe some sort of casual pair of pants, who knows.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    if @t4ct was here he'd post about slack.com

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It's easy to think of this as the de facto video game thread in SE++ because that's how I treat it

Maybe the break will result in some other game-centric threads seeing a bit of a swell

I think it'd be nice if people would make threads about individual threads they're playing, but I'm aware that my preference for that thinking isn't universal. For me as a user, I'd rather see a thread about Tomb Raider than a 80 page threads where maybe people talked about Tomb Raider at some point. For recurring threads, I also like to be able to see a really specific niche that the thread is fulfiling. The Steam thread for example, is chatty and off-topic in a way that sets it apart from the G&T one, but is still clearly about Steam and PC games in general.

But yeah, anyway, this isn't punitive and it may come back. I mean, it may not, depending on how things go, but I am not planning this as a permanent thing by any means. A certain amount of this job involves changing a thing and then noting what happens.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    slack, mIRC for the modern era is something he would say

alas...

• Options
    more people should play monster hunter

go post in metalbourne's monster hunter thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    if t4ct was here he'd post about slack.com

As a busy professional in a digital world, I trust slack.com's robust communication tools and cloud content to facilitate teamwork between members of my big data startup

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Well I basically only started coming here more than "an occasional poke in to see how things are going" because the steam thread became a wasteland.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    That thread will explode when 4 releases here

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I think it'd be nice if people would make threads about individual threads they're playing, but I'm aware that my preference for that thinking isn't universal. For me as a user, I'd rather see a thread about Tomb Raider than a 80 page threads where maybe people talked about Tomb Raider at some point. For recurring threads, I also like to be able to see a really specific niche that the thread is fulfiling. The Steam thread for example, is chatty and off-topic in a way that sets it apart from the G&T one, but is still clearly about Steam and PC games in general.

But yeah, anyway, this isn't punitive and it may come back. I mean, it may not, depending on how things go, but I am not planning this as a permanent thing by any means. A certain amount of this job involves changing a thing and then noting what happens.

I get this

I don't really play that may games though!

And when I do, I usually play all the way through them in like a week, so its nice to have an ongoing discussion

Plus there are games that don't seem big enough to support a thread (pretty sure a tales of xillia 2 thread would die immediately)

But I'll adjust I'm sure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there's the steam thread for general video games. of course it's only pc/steam games but there's a saying about pc gaming

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ah well, we can enjoy what we have while it lasts.
    I really liked that atelier review, -Tal. It sounded peaceful, fun, and not gross.

If ya'll haven't caught the recent (How to build a BEAST), it's really interesting if you've ever ran mixer or worked a studio.

Generally when these big community threads leave for a bit, some folk move on, and that's okay. We'll collectively lose it over some hilarious live stream eventually. Oh I'm rambling, but in case we don't get a goodbye, I love you Giant Bomb thread. Collectively, you have made a kentuckian signmaker's life a little more interesting. Let me know what you're up to.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Do we have a Rune Factory thread?

Because if we don't, I'm probably going to make one when I start playing it

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    speaking of

Tales of xillia 2: they took literally my favorite jrpg combat ever

And fucking added DMC weapon switching

its so awesome

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I'm playing Shadow Hearts and The Old Republic right now, anyone? Thread? Join me?

sig.gif
  • Options

nope. up until this month really the only two people that had played it were myself and ronnie.

• Options
    oh god this is like the last day of high school trying to figure out where everyone's going

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I'm playing Shadow Hearts and The Old Republic right now, anyone? Thread? Join me?

shadow hearts is the fuckin' bomb

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    oh god this is like the last day of high school trying to figure out where everyone's going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFhkR_qfZOQ

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

So far it sure is an early-ass PS2 jurp!

It's wayyyyy better than Koudelka for sure though so after that atrocious gauntlet anything would be a breath of fresh air.

sig.gif
  • Options

dear simben hope you have a great summer follow me on twitter @justblais

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

nope. up until this month really the only two people that had played it were myself and ronnie.

That's kinda sad. I put approximately a million hours into Harvest Moon 64 and like 80 into Frontier before I got sick of Runey maintenance

But quite a few more people seem to be playing it now

But then we don't need to make super game-specific threads, either

It can just be a Jurp thread! We can talk about the Xenoblades and the Rune Factories and the Personas....?

Maybe

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    in my experience new game threads in SE++ tend to die out fairly quickly unless it's a game that pretty much everyone is playing like skyrim

• Options

dear simben hope you have a great summer follow me on twitter @justblais

okay now we just need some weird crushes brought to light and we're set

sig.gif
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFhkR_qfZOQ

Fuck, make me cry won't you.

sig.gif
  • Options

So far it sure is an early-ass PS2 jurp!

It's wayyyyy better than Koudelka for sure though so after that atrocious gauntlet anything would be a breath of fresh air.

i actually never played the first shadow hearts

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well if everyone who wants to talk about Giant Bomb goes to the G&T one and then we get more specific games threads, that's fine by me

I just can't not discuss METAL GEAR SCANLON

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Way to make everyone sad, Tube.

It's in my contract.

Yep, he's right, I see it in the documentation.

It's right below "Publicly express hatred for Hitman 2 at least once a year."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    we could make...

...a metal gear thread...

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I definitely wouldn't mind a game journalism thread, but I could see that being far too similar to this thread.

No I don't.
  • Options
    we could make...

Go directly to jail

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Idle Thumbs had a theory that I'm going to elaborate on

Phantom Pain is delayed several years, and Silent Hills is released in the interim

You play through the entirety of Silent Hills

The game ends, the credits roll

And then the game fades back up and Big Boss is waking from his 9 year "coma"

Smash cut to title card

P.T.

except what ACTUALLY happens is
    the letters spread out and more fill in the gap

P.A.T.R.I.O.T
    But then
    each letter in P.A.T.R.I.O.T starts spinning really fast after the initial reveal only staying up for a split second (just enough so you're not really sure it happened) and lands on La Li Lu Le Lo

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    we could make...

What is that

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.