Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Okay comparing video games to white supremacists is a little much

yes there is a large, terrible portion of fans and some developers out there that are monstrous and inexcusable

but there are also people like those on this forum as well as rad developers, dudes like Giant Bomb and other companies out there too

In this particular case, though, they are organized and targeting individuals

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    our society in general has 0 respect for artists so this isn't a big surprise

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

yes there is a large, terrible portion of fans and some developers out there that are monstrous and inexcusable

but there are also people like those on this forum as well as rad developers, dudes like Giant Bomb and other companies out there too

In this particular case, though, they are organized and targeting individuals
    Yes but this is not VIDEO GAMES

saying "destroy all video games" or "video games are a lost cause" or whatever is kinda fucked up and throwing a ton of awesome people under the bus?

This is a, significant to be clear, portion of the fanbase that is horrible and toxic and in this case, literally criminal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    if anything i don't see why you couldn't talk about the Bombcast in the podcast thread

The podcast thread has almost at points been used as a more general comedians thread plus Flophouse and McElroys

But yeah Bombcast probably fits in there

We're almost at the end of the current one, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    One of these days something truly tragic is gonna result from this

I wish I could believe this would make a significant portion of them stop and think

sig.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, I have noticed that the people who aren't really talking about the situation, or said stuff like "Hey, this situation is shitty and everyone should stop" and then did their regular stuff seem to be avoiding problems.

That's not a great thing, but it's something.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Latest Phil Fish tweet:
    i would like to announce that POLYTRON and the FEZ IP are now for sale. no reasonable offer will be turned down. i am done. i want out.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

i actually think that the dudes who get together on 4chan to talk about how shit women are are directly comparable to the dudes who get together on stormfront to talk about how shit black people are

like, i think it's a one to one comparison, i think both are organized hate groups who go out of their way to destroy people's lives

obviously normal people are also involved in video games, i don't actually think video games should be destroyed

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    if anything i don't see why you couldn't talk about the Bombcast in the podcast thread

The podcast thread has almost at points been used as a more general comedians thread plus Flophouse and McElroys

But yeah Bombcast probably fits in there

We're almost at the end of the current one, though
    I'd say I'll make another but I'm shit at updating OPs and whenever I hit the little SOMEONE POSTED IN YOUR THREAD notification my phone always tries to open it in my Podcast app because it doesn't know how to save preferences for some reason

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

i actually think that the dudes who get together on 4chan to talk about how shit women are are directly comparable to the dudes who get together on stormfront to talk about how shit black people are

like, i think it's a one to one comparison, i think both are organized hate groups who go out of their way to destroy people's lives

obviously normal people are also involved in video games, i don't actually think video games should be destroyed
    Then don't say video games!

That's an incredibly broad term

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the thing is these people are winning

they are successfully driving game developers and games writers out of the industry, and intimidating others from entering it

because why would you want to invite this kind of bullshit into your life? video games aren't worth that, on top of the already built-in stress of making games

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Let's not blame this on videogames. Let's be honest. It's 4chan.

Fuck 4chan.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Let's not blame this on videogames. Let's be honest. It's 4chan.

Fuck 4chan.

Nah, it's game culture. Pure and simple a huge portion of game culture is absolutely toxic.

No I don't.
  • Options

blank i don't know if i super need to clarify that when i say "destroy all video games" i do not literally mean destroy all video games

what i mean is "i am frustrated at the endemic misogyny in the video game community, and choose to express that frustration in a humorous way!"

like, when people say "smash the patriarchy", they don't literally mean that we should go out onto the street and start smashing patriarchs left right and centre

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This is shitty people

"Videogames" aren't a united hate group, "4chan" isn't a united fucking anything

No matter what umbrella terminology you want to use, you're going to catch people who aren't part of this whole shitshow

• Options

blank i don't know if i super need to clarify that when i say "destroy all video games" i do not literally mean destroy all video games

what i mean is "i am frustrated at the endemic misogyny in the video game community, and choose to express that frustration in a humorous way!"

like, when people say "smash the patriarchy", they don't literally mean that we should go out onto the street and start smashing patriarchs left right and centre
    It is less "destroy all video games" and more "how do you fix video games they are comparable to white supremacists"

do you see how one is clearly hyperbole and the other is not

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

they are successfully driving game developers and games writers out of the industry, and intimidating others from entering it

because why would you want to invite this kind of bullshit into your life? video games aren't worth that, on top of the already built-in stress of making games

It's hard not to be cynical and think that unless some huge legal repercussions come out of this, this is the tipping point where we go from "winning" to "won"

Indie was the future, but you can't afford to make an indie game that 4chan won't like because they will literally ruin your life

Like congratulations, guys

Now there will be less games other people like and Bloodborne is still coming out

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I mean, I have noticed that the people who aren't really talking about the situation, or said stuff like "Hey, this situation is shitty and everyone should stop" and then did their regular stuff seem to be avoiding problems.

well yeah of course, why would they target someone who isn't actively associating with the gaming feminist illuminati

but people in the industry should be talking about this, and not just with a quick tweet, because it is very literally destroying the indie scene they seem to like so much

and it is definitely not appropriate to blame people who are talking about it for their own harassment

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Oh come on

this isn't a NOT ALL MEN thing

you're talking about a bunch of horrific criminal 4channers by using an incredibly broad term that includes: Giant Bomb, Bioware, Double Fine, Nintendo, Sony, etc.

I'm just saying maybe use a different phrase than "video games" because that's way too goddamn broad and not really applicable

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

well yeah of course, why would they target someone who isn't actively associating with the gaming feminist illuminati

but people in the industry should be talking about this, and not just with a quick tweet, because it is very literally destroying the indie scene they seem to like so much

and it is definitely not appropriate to blame people who are talking about it for their own harassment

Not to mention the wonderful people who honestly believe this shit is faked.

Who would fake this? What would faking this accomplish except for possible legal troubles?

No I don't.
  • Options

It is less "destroy all video games" and more "how do you fix video games they are comparable to white supremacists"

do you see video games, in both contexts, stands for "the endemic misogyny of the video game community"

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Speaking of indie games

Where the hell is The Witness

• Options
    Hey, remember when @Kochikens‌ was in here wondering about her GTX 570? This is on a 670.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEuSxAEXPA

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

Yes this is a huge overarching problem, and the one that has the real potential to last

If you are interested in games, and interested in games actually evolving as a creative form, stuff like this is cancer

I feel bad saying it though because it feels small and petty to be worried about the future of games when people's lives are potentially being ruined

It is true, though.

• Options

Not to mention the wonderful people who honestly believe this shit is faked.

Who would fake this? What would faking this accomplish except for possible legal troubles?

the idea that zoe and fish doxxed themselves is the most bizzarre form of gaslighting I've ever seen

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    gang beasts is out next week

the blobs will save us

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014

do you see video games, in both contexts, stands for "the endemic misogyny of the video game community"
    "how do you fix the misogyny in video games, it is comparable to white supremacy"

"how do you fix video games, they are comparable to white supremacy"

all I'm saying is yo maybe clarify just a little bit

like, obviously saying shit like DESTROY ALL VIDEO GAMES is whatever but when you start using a phrase that could translate into "Giant Bomb/Double Fine/Brad Muir/Whatever is comparable to white supremacists" and then saying you are being sincere about it (albeit with a specific portion of the incredibly broad group) you should probably clarify a bit

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    long term I feel that instead, this is what "kills" social media

but I don't really engage in or understand social media anyway, so what do I know

Aside from using twitter as a read only medium occasionally, these forums are pretty much as close I come

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    At some point I had to decide if I wanted to go into games or the music business

And then I thought about it for a second and ran screaming toward music

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    any interest i've ever had in regards to writing about video games or creating them has been thoroughly quashed by the last week or two

literally nothing on this earth is worth submitting yourself to that

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The time for an anime thread is nigh.

• Options

Because these are people who can barely afford to live

They can't afford thousands of dollars of legal fees

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

How do you go about suing a group of anonymous internet assholes?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    well, i mean

who do you sue? do you sue 4chan for things they can just say they don't condone and were done off-site?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    after looking at video games is anime really that bad?

don't answer that

This discussion has been closed.