As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The wait for new [Superhero Movies] will be Inhuman!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    there is nothing inherently wrong with deus ex machina as a narrative device

No

But it often feels like you're robbed of a real conclusion

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man, this Avengers stuff
    Like, Cap is gonna do Cap, and nobody loves that more than me, but
    When he just goes, well we're gonna call everyone up and stop the Illuminati and then we'll find a way to stop the incursions

Fucking how, Steve? You literally don't know the first thing about how else you can fix this

Well we'll find another way because we have to!

I mean I know as a comics reader that he's going to pull it off and I'll love that, but I can absolutely see why the other characters might see him as an obstacle and a nuisance
    A naive and outdated one at that

Not necessarily, I think.
    I mean, his point of view is the exact same point of view as the Great Society, and look what happened to them.

I don't know what Hickman's end game is, but I have a feeling neither Cap nor Iron Man are going to turn out to be completely right in the end.
    I dunno about IM but Cap's not turning out to be completely right NOW.

On a more positive note, preview pages for Edge Of Spider-Verse #3 are up and a couple of pages have a nice nostalgic nod to those that collected certain cards back in the day.
    CBR.com wrote:
    Edge-of-Spider-Verse-3-Preview-2-8733e.jpg
    Edge-of-Spider-Verse-3-Preview-3-3896c.jpg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    deus ex machina is okay if it is literally a god coming out of a machine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    what if it is a literal hand of god grabbing a nuke and blowing up las vegas like at the end of the stand miniseries

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I love Dustin Weaver

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Then there's Machina ex Machina. Which I think is how we got Geth.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    what if it is a literal hand of god grabbing a nuke and blowing up las vegas like at the end of the stand miniseries

This is exactly the kind of dumb I want

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

That's in the book too

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Did they set up god, imply god, have a religious character...something?

• Options
    Stephen king is so bad at endings

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

No

why is deus ex machina not a "real conclusion"?

• Options

No

Because the issues are resolved by something other than the major players

It makes the rest of the story seem pointless

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I honestly have never enjoyed a comic series more than New Avengers under Hickman

enjoyed as much as, sure, a couple of times. Uncanny X-Force and Godbomb, in recently memory

but more? No. I love my comics like those series.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

No

Also it's generally considered lazy writing.

When you build up to a big finale, and then throw in something completely out of nowhere that solves the problem, it makes it look like you wrote yourself into a corner and had to throw in some bullshit to fix everything.

Like the series finale of Buffy was a blatant Deus Ex Machina.

They spent the season building up that there was this new super vampire that had been created that took everything Buffy had to stop.

And then they revealed that there is a literal army of them underground waiting to emerge.

And the big questoin is "How the fuck are they gonna overcome this"

And then in the last episode Angel shows up and gives Buffy a magic talisman that they use later in a spell that makes all the vampires explode.

At the virtual last minute of the show, the solution to all their problems was literally handed to them. And it's fucking stupid.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I forget now, and gonna have to dig out and reread it. But did the Ex Machina series by Vaughn end without actually doing a Deus Ex style wipe?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Ex Machina but I think that, on reflection, the ending is somewhat poor

or at least, a degree of a let down

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Ya I don't really remember how it ended , remember it getting really disjointed I think and that's probably why I don't really remember it.

edit: also my memory is downright terrible.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

From pretty much the very beginning, the villain Randall Flagg is implied to be the Devil, and the character Mother Abigail is an explicitly religious figure as well.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think Ex Machina ended with the main character as vp under President McCain.

Also
    betraying and /or murdering all his friends.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    BatgirlIceBucket.jpg

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

The Stand is literally about God and The Devil fighting over the souls of the survivors of devastating plague

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bale you are the big king guy right

What did you think about flaggs treatment in the dark tower books

• Options
    I am a big Stephen King fan who has not read (all) of the Dark Tower

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Goatmon wrote: »

No

When you build up to a big finale, and then throw in something completely out of nowhere that solves the problem, it makes it look like you wrote yourself into a corner and had to throw in some bullshit to fix everything.

They spent the season building up that there was this new super vampire that had been created that took everything Buffy had to stop.

And then they revealed that there is a literal army of them underground waiting to emerge.

And then in the last episode Angel shows up and gives Buffy a magic talisman that they use later in a spell that makes all the vampires explode.

At the virtual last minute of the show, the solution to all their problems was literally handed to them. And it's fucking stupid.

I haven't watched buffy

but that sounds like the solution to one specific problem was handed down

that problem being "how do we stop the super vampires?"

and that talisman had some exposure in Angel. Buffy using it created some issues for his team, which I consider pretty neat.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Ah

The dark tower is a pretty good microcosm of the best and worst of kings writing

IMHO of course

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Keep it that way.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The sooner we all recognize Burn After Reading has the best ending in history the sooner we all move up to the next level as a society

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I've read most of it, and I know how it ends. I just havent gotten around to that last book.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I thought it was great. I am the big king guy who actually has only read all of the dark tower stuff and the stuff that relates to the tower like It and the stand and etc

• Options
    Brogey wrote: »
    Keep it that way.

Aw cmon

There's REALLY good stuff in there

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I read the first dark tower book

The thing where he wrote stuff in parentheses occasionally that looked like editors notes (so vivid) was duuummmb

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That's in the book too

it's a lot less literal in the book than it is in the miniseries

also, yeah, he refers to the stand as "a tale of dark christianity" and it's not subtle about it at any point

• Options
    Also maybe in remembering incorrectly but I thought the nuke was set off by like electricity or something that the protagonists triggered in some way

• Options
    I read the first dark tower book

The thing where he wrote stuff in parentheses occasionally that looked like editors notes (so vivid) was duuummmb

Well he was 19.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

No

Deus Ex Vampira.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh also Iron Lad got ass in them metal jeans

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Langly wrote: »
    I thought it was great. I am the big king guy who actually has only read all of the dark tower stuff and the stuff that relates to the tower like It and the stand and etc
    I really liked the end ending, and I was on his side on why he did certain things that angered a lot of his readers...
    like how he killed off Eddie
    But a lot of the filler in the last few books...
    inserting himself and his tragedy
    was a bit too much for me.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    IT has been my favorite book since I was 14 though and I don't imagine that will ever change.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Brogey wrote: »
    I really liked the end ending, and I was on his side on why he did certain things that angered a lot of his readers...
    like how he killed off Eddie
    But a lot of the filler in the last few books...
    inserting himself and his tragedy
    was a bit too much for me.

I didn't really mind that, as I think it fit in with the nature of the series, in my opinion

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Also maybe in remembering incorrectly but I thought the nuke was set off by like electricity or something that the protagonists triggered in some way

Flagg conjured some fire to kill someone who spoke up against him, and when Trashcan Man returned with the nuke, he lost control of it (a couple of characters say it's the hand of God but it's not confirmed as such) and the nuke goes off

This discussion has been closed.