Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Weightlessness was made a big deal for the narrative, but "the original airbenders" have been shown doing it so often that it's inconspicuous, since first episode. Aang also did a stable floaty thing at least once.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Aang flew all the time. He creates that puff ball of swirling air in TLA intro and rides atop it before running into a wall - he may be only a foot off the ground if his feet aren't touching the earth, that counts as flying.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The air benders in Wan's vision were also able to fly by standing on clouds. Wan did the same thing when he fought Vaatu.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Aang flew all the time. He creates that puff ball of swirling air in TLA intro and rides atop it before running into a wall - he may be only a foot off the ground if his feet aren't touching the earth, that counts as flying.

Hovering, maybe. But that's not flight.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hovering, maybe. But that's not flight.

Yeah, these were clearly different actions.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So Laghima:
    Was Laghima a total asshole? Because it's pretty obvious that Guru Laghima didn't cut earthly ties in the traditional Buddhist sense, given his continued commitment to the mission.

It's also clear that cutting ties in the Avatar sense doesn't result in weightlessness either, or else we would have heard of it.

Instead, it looks like the key to being weightless is to simply not give a shit about anyone else in the world. Which explains why only one other airbender in the world has ever achieved such a thing.

• Options
    Errrr...

I think you mean Zaheer for most of that post?

Steam profile
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So Laghima:
    Was Laghima a total asshole? Because it's pretty obvious that Guru Laghima didn't cut earthly ties in the traditional Buddhist sense, given his continued commitment to the mission.

It's also clear that cutting ties in the Avatar sense doesn't result in weightlessness either, or else we would have heard of it.

Instead, it looks like the key to being weightless is to simply not give a shit about anyone else in the world. Which explains why only one other airbender in the world has ever achieved such a thing.

Laghima said all that stuff in a really sarcastic tone of voice, it's not his fault it didn't come across in text.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm guessing that bending is based on psychological factors rather than spiritual ones. Like how Iroh says that inner peace is needed to bend lightning but then people like Azula and Ozai can do it. I'm guessing that's because they're psychological at peace with who they are but they don't have any kind of spiritual peace.
    It's probably the same thing with Zaheer. Spiritually, he hasn't let go of attachments, but psychologically, he has, or at least he thinks he has.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heh, it's like that reveal at the end of Marvel's Agents of Shield that
    the bad guy went on his powertrip because he misunderstood a speech given by Nick Fury when he became an agent, that when a man becomes a part of something bigger, he can achieve greatness. The bad guy is all "well now I AM something bigger" and Fury is just stunned and incredulous like "...a PART. A part of something bigger. You mean to tell me this whole Hydra thing is cause you misheard my damn 'one man' speech?" and he's turning to Coulson asking "you got it, right?"

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I'm guessing that bending is based on psychological factors rather than spiritual ones. Like how Iroh says that inner peace is needed to bend lightning but then people like Azula and Ozai can do it. I'm guessing that's because they're psychological at peace with who they are but they don't have any kind of spiritual peace.
    It's probably the same thing with Zaheer. Spiritually, he hasn't let go of attachments, but psychologically, he has, or at least he thinks he has.

I thought it was a force of will kind of thing.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Errrr...

Well, I meant Zaheer in what we saw. But I was wondering if the same applied to Laghima.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Errrr...

Well, I meant Zaheer in what we saw. But I was wondering if the same applied to Laghima.

Then I don't understand at all your first sentence in the spoiler, elaborate? We don't know much about Laghima at all, you seem to be making lots of conclusions about him? Did I miss more background on him?

Steam profile
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Maybe it takes inner peace to bend existing lightning, but you can make your own through sheer force of will? I dunno.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Laghima lived before the invention of /s.

Geez, some people.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Maybe it takes inner peace to bend existing lightning, but you can make your own through sheer force of will? I dunno.

It takes pure focus. The stopping point for most people is probably the hesitation that what you're about to do could easily kill someone. Azula doesn't have that problem.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

I think it's the opposite. Iroh said Zuko wouldn't be able to create lightning because he lacked balance, whereas he could be taught to redirect it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Or maybe he can bend lightning because it made for a really good dramatic cap to his battle with Azula. :smile:

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    She is strong with the Dark Side.

• Options

I heard it as "calm down and focus". So Azula could just stone cold killer it.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    On Zaheer and Laghima
    Having no earthly attachments doesn't necessarily mean becoming a jerk. It does probably mean that you stop valuing any specific person or thing over others. You don't become emotionless, you just stop really caring about the little things that fill up most people's lives. Flight is likely so rare because Air Bender culture was all about caring for and interacting with your community.

In the show the void sounds very similar to the Buddhist concept of nirvana.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Freedom from attachment in the Buddhist sense generally means not being beholden to external stimuli. It means not trying to avoid things that can cause pain or seeking out things that can cause pleasure. It's about having things happen as they are.

It has to do with the concept of how everything in the universe is fluid and mutable and when you try to make things permanent and become attached to them, you're clinging to an illusion. So if you're always trying to seek out pleasure, you can't always find it because nothing is permanent so being attached to the idea of seeking pleasure will bring you suffering when the universe inevitably changes and you can't find pleasure. It's the same if you're always trying to avoid pain, the universe will inevitably change and there will be pain, so that search can only lead to suffering.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Freedom from attachment in the Buddhist sense generally means not being beholden to external stimuli. It means not trying to avoid things that can cause pain or seeking out things that can cause pleasure. It's about having things happen as they are.

It has to do with the concept of how everything in the universe is fluid and mutable and when you try to make things permanent and become attached to them, you're clinging to an illusion. So if you're always trying to seek out pleasure, you can't always find it because nothing is permanent so being attached to the idea of seeking pleasure will bring you suffering when the universe inevitably changes and you can't find pleasure. It's the same if you're always trying to avoid pain, the universe will inevitably change and there will be pain, so that search can only lead to suffering.

Also dealing with the resulting sense of the world being hollow and pointless. Dwelling on the realisation in that sense won't do you any good, either.
    Another factor, that gets overlooked sometimes, is the mundane distraction of your body and mind being impermanent and ailing. Sometimes pain is just pain, and increases with age.

Anyway, about "earthly tethers", the second highest degree of enlightenment is the stage of choosing to stay behind to teach and uplift stragglers. Those are sometimes more popular than the fully free.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I just found out that the voice actress for Korea dated the voice actor of Soka for like 6 years.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Might be worth pointing out that Laghima doesn't really have a lot to do with buddhism specifically. It's just old indian magic like the power of infinite weight, growing and shrinking, and something like teleportation.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I just found out that the voice actress for Korea dated the voice actor of Soka for like 6 years.

You mean Chris Hardwick? He was only the voice of older Sokka from LoK.

Sokka from TLA is like 10 years younger than her

• Options
    I just found out that Janet Varney did some Rifftrax. I kind of want her to do one for Shyamalan's TLA.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The talk of voice acting made me look up the voice actors and holy shit Tenzin is Cave Johnson (J.K. Simmons).

RT800 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    The talk of voice acting made me look up the voice actors and holy shit Tenzin is Cave Johnson (J.K. Simmons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEbvTqouME

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    And who also made for a stellar J. Jonah Jameson.

The dude is great.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I've always thought of him as Sledge Hammer's CIA Supervisor, myself.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Why, that accurately states the mental state of Korra!

Yogo on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Bud from Married with Children voicing Mako always weirds me out.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I've always thought of him as Sledge Hammer's CIA Supervisor, myself.

He'll always be the cool, collected Dr. Skoda from the various Law & Orders to me.

Also, President "Kill-Em-All" from Red Alert 3.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Bud from Married with Children voicing Mako always weirds me out.

You mean Grand Master B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AaQDK0tpt8

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    --- double post ---

DanHibiki on
  • Options

So not only is the ruler of Korea an omnipotent God-king, the nation itself is sentient? Wow, crazy place.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular

So not only is the ruler of Korea an omnipotent God-king, the nation itself is sentient? Wow, crazy place.

He's not dating the country. He's dating the country's national representative voice actress.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »

He's not dating the country. He's dating the country's national representative voice actress.

In fairness, he did once date the entire moon.