As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Party [Chat]

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I need to stop being a lazy piece of shit. But how? I've had so much practice.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    real talk narwhal has anyone given you shit yet for being a homeless guy on a cellphone yet

or do they not see you as a homeless guy

That's the thing, right

Hobo with a tablet? The hell?

So security guards are confused by the obviously successful guy sleeping in a doorway

Other homeless people don't identify me as one of them and just ask me for money all day

Like yeah, I could get 1, maybe 2 nights in a hostel for the value of this tablet

But in terms of information, contact and entertainment, this thing is invaluable

yeah, that's a thing people don't get about poverty

you have to start thinking short vs. long term

when i was right on the brink, before my disability assistance kicked in, some lady from welfare came to my apartment, which i was barely affording (and rent was basically like 90% of my welfare cheque, leaving me almost no money for food and i was literally going days without eating and taking painkillers to deal with it)

and was like, well, you have a laptop, and an xbox, you could sell those, they're worth money

do you really need those things

i'm like, i will get maybe $50 for the Xbox, tops, and it's unlikely i will get that in cash, if I go to a pawn shop I will likely get $25 in cash, if I go to an electronics store they'll give me $50 but in store credit, I can't eat $50 in store credit

laptop it's probably like, maybe a few hundred, but it's a similar issue. the most money i'd get for it would be a place that'd give it to me in credit, and the problem is i gotta eat, and even then it's less than a month's groceries? tops.

and what i am losing in return is internet access, which is huge, and my primary way of keeping myself sane and connected to people during this time in my life. it is also a loss i will not be able to recover from for the forseeable future. i am likely to be impoverished for a long time, and thus for the benefit of less than a month's worth of groceries (which i can sometimes get from the food bank for free, which is what i have been doing to not die) i would lose something that is effectively irreplaceable.

same goes for my clothes and a lot of my other material possessions

this is something a lot of people don't understand about poverty

it's like, they want you to show you're trying not to be poor anymore... by essentially nuking your ability to get your shit together once the current crisis is passed? what

This is one of my go to stories when I try to explain why stupid bullshit like "poor people have microwaves" is stupid bullshit. And also why generally speaking society as a whole would benefit from not forcing people to liquidate major assets in times of need, that they will still need later.

but come on

Let's take this to the logical extension here

You don't really need 2 kidneys, do you? Plenty of people get by fine with just one!

I don't even have two fully-functioning kidneys!

We're not here to play oppression olympics, Narwhal, sheesh

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    microwaves and internet access sit in a bizarre vacuum that exists because the bourgeoisie left takes them for granted when they ask for subsidies to healthcare and education. one often hears the argument that it's all just plastic consumer crap from china, a real radical advocates worker empowerment via organic produce and home gardens in every lot, never mind that this is ridiculously untenable for people who cannot organize a budget never mind a garden

the early 20th century equivalent is piped running water and electrification to all households, which is likewise not, strictly speaking, necessary for living, but it achieves certain elite social goals to pursue mass ownership. but the shift from the old left to the new left seems to have shifted this kind of perspective to a middle-class narrative of empowerment, which unsurprisingly mutates into a narrative of personal responsibility

boom

there it is

the good ole narrative of personal responsibility

like, right now, my mother is homeless

she is homeless because she was renting a house from my grandfather, her father, who was technically supposed to be mortgaging the house to her but apparently that is not the case and she was just a tenant this entire time and she has literally no ownership rights

and because my grandfather is an abusive piece of shit, as a power trip when she got into it with him or trivial bullshit, he evicted her. because she is disabled and on government assistance, she cannot afford a regular apartment, and is now on a government subsidized housing waiting list. while on that waiting list, she's in a shelter.

she's only on that disability pension because of a workplace injury, an injury that her workplace insurance should cover her for, to an order far exceeding what the government disability pension is, but they're fighting with her about it and making her retain an attorney and it's going to take years to resolve

notice how none of those things are about responsibility or fault?

yet, my mother is deeply ashamed of being homeless and is hiding this fact from everyone, including her doctor and her therapist, which has made getting her to fill out government-mandated paperwork from the housing shelter completely exasperating because it's got the shelter's letterhead on it and there's no denying who the medical form establishing her disability is for, but she doesn't want to take it to her doctor because she doesn't want her doctor to know she's living in a shelter.

Her doctor. The guy who deals with her butt problems.

That is how insidious the narrative of personal responsibility is.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what if, hypothetically, you broke up with a person by text accidentally because they were already displeased with you because of a miscommunication and you were discussing it by text and you blurted out that you thought they were getting too attached in a text message because you thought it would be good to be honest and then realized, well, this is probably going to lead to a break-up, isn't it

and what if, hypothetically, this happened three days after they were struck by a vehicle

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

breakups ignore all schedules and life events

oh good

sig i have bad news

i am breaking up with you

i know you just won that handsomest cat lady prize at the local fair and i don't want to undercut your joy but i can't be silent any longer

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    It is never a good idea to maintain a relationship you want to end because you're trying to spare someone's feelings.

There is literally no circumstance where this does not make either you, them or both miserable.

Children are another case where you shouldn't stay together 'For the children'! This is a bad idea! The worst!

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    real talk narwhal has anyone given you shit yet for being a homeless guy on a cellphone yet

or do they not see you as a homeless guy

That's the thing, right

Hobo with a tablet? The hell?

So security guards are confused by the obviously successful guy sleeping in a doorway

Other homeless people don't identify me as one of them and just ask me for money all day

Like yeah, I could get 1, maybe 2 nights in a hostel for the value of this tablet

But in terms of information, contact and entertainment, this thing is invaluable

yeah, that's a thing people don't get about poverty

you have to start thinking short vs. long term

when i was right on the brink, before my disability assistance kicked in, some lady from welfare came to my apartment, which i was barely affording (and rent was basically like 90% of my welfare cheque, leaving me almost no money for food and i was literally going days without eating and taking painkillers to deal with it)

and was like, well, you have a laptop, and an xbox, you could sell those, they're worth money

do you really need those things

i'm like, i will get maybe $50 for the Xbox, tops, and it's unlikely i will get that in cash, if I go to a pawn shop I will likely get $25 in cash, if I go to an electronics store they'll give me $50 but in store credit, I can't eat $50 in store credit

laptop it's probably like, maybe a few hundred, but it's a similar issue. the most money i'd get for it would be a place that'd give it to me in credit, and the problem is i gotta eat, and even then it's less than a month's groceries? tops.

and what i am losing in return is internet access, which is huge, and my primary way of keeping myself sane and connected to people during this time in my life. it is also a loss i will not be able to recover from for the forseeable future. i am likely to be impoverished for a long time, and thus for the benefit of less than a month's worth of groceries (which i can sometimes get from the food bank for free, which is what i have been doing to not die) i would lose something that is effectively irreplaceable.

same goes for my clothes and a lot of my other material possessions

this is something a lot of people don't understand about poverty

it's like, they want you to show you're trying not to be poor anymore... by essentially nuking your ability to get your shit together once the current crisis is passed? what

This is one of my go to stories when I try to explain why stupid bullshit like "poor people have microwaves" is stupid bullshit. And also why generally speaking society as a whole would benefit from not forcing people to liquidate major assets in times of need, that they will still need later.

but come on

Let's take this to the logical extension here

You don't really need 2 kidneys, do you? Plenty of people get by fine with just one!

I don't even have two fully-functioning kidneys!

We're not here to play oppression olympics, Narwhal, sheesh

Ah come on, let me have something! ;)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    what if, hypothetically, you broke up with a person by text accidentally because they were already displeased with you because of a miscommunication and you were discussing it by text and you blurted out that you thought they were getting too attached in a text message because you thought it would be good to be honest and then realized, well, this is probably going to lead to a break-up, isn't it

and what if, hypothetically, this happened three days after they were struck by a vehicle

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

breakups ignore all schedules and life events

oh good

sig i have bad news

i am breaking up with you

i know you just won that handsomest cat lady prize at the local fair and i don't want to undercut your joy but i can't be silent any longer

oh thank god now I can devote full attention to cats

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    That happened with my cat

then break up

then back togethers and things are peachy

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Someone I know recently lost their house and their job because an asshole framed them for a crime out of spite.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    I'm homeless because I didn't deal with my brain stuff because my brain stuff makes the idea of dealing with brain stuff terrifying

Brain

Brain that is silly

Fortunately at this point survival instincts have kicked in and I'm too concerned about the rule of 3s to worry about anything beyond that >_>

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It is never a good idea to maintain a relationship you want to end because you're trying to spare someone's feelings.

There is literally no circumstance where this does not make either you, them or both miserable.

Children are another case where you shouldn't stay together 'For the children'! This is a bad idea! The worst!

I was like, 14 years old, and my mom was sitting down at the kitchen table and she was crying and i was like, what's up, ma

what's going on

and she was telling me how she's just sorta feeling really awful about how she kicked my dad to the curb and how my brother and i grew up without a father and i had to be like

whoa whoa whoa

1. we didn't grow up without our father, he had joint custody, i spent like about 30%-40% of my childhood with dad and that is honestly about as much as i should have because
    2. dad is kind of a fuck up, as a person. i love my dad but, mom, dad is a fuck up. dude is an alcoholic and a conspiracy theorist survivalist wacko who blames "the government" and "corporations" and "America" for everything. i am old enough to understand this and i do not think my life would be enriched by more of having that man in it. as i grow older there is less of him in it for a reason.
    3. how miserable would you have been? it would not have been better for you had you stayed together ostensibly for my brother and i. it would've been hell. you made the right call.

then i gave her a hug

turns out it was less about her having deep regrets about mistakes she made in raising me and my brother

and more like, had she not dumped my dad

maybe she never would've met her current boyfriend and father of her third child

which was far more :|

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Why is it that my brain gets all weird and self-conscious around midnight?

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »

Is late and it has now spent too much time inside itself

I'm a leading expert on this subject!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    My mom asked me when I was, like, ten, for permission to leave my dad. I said no because I was ten years old. But, of course, that weighs on me because when my parents did finally separate nearly six years later, the change was enormous. My parents had no business ever getting married and the effect it has on children watching your parents fight like that is, basically, infinity worse than a divorce. My mom never should have listened to ten year old me. What the fuck do ten year olds know?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    like, that's a shitty place for a person to be in, and my heart went out to my mom there

"well, my ex-husband was an alcoholic and shitty with money and a philanderer and kind of a paranoid survivalist... but he wasn't abusive, so he has that going for him."

:|

glad that piece of gutter trash is far from her life now

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    "Look at what you did. You made me like another game, and now I have to stay up all night playing it." My roommate, giving me responsibility for the late start he will have tomorrow. Also, Super Time Force.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I like that this whole nude photos scandal has been coined "The Fappening"

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options

You are cleary Dipyral.

After midnight is the hour of the Incenjucar.

Where I get weird in the opposite way.

Nobody think about what that means.

• Options
    My mom asked me when I was, like, ten, for permission to leave my dad. I said no because I was ten years old. But, of course, that weighs on me because when my parents did finally separate nearly six years later, the change was enormous. My parents had no business ever getting married and the effect it has on children watching your parents fight like that is, basically, infinity worse than a divorce. My mom never should have listened to ten year old me. What the fuck do ten year olds know?

Ten year olds know they like things like they are, ten year olds know they love mommy and daddy and they don't understand why they fight and why one of them has to leave.

You know one of the benefits of my dad being given the boot when I was 4? I have no memories of my parents fighting or even my father moving out. They don't exist.

I have memories of my dad living with us, and memories of my dad not living with us, but no memories of like, a conversation where my mom lays it on me where daddy doesn't live with us anymore or something.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    My mom asked me when I was, like, ten, for permission to leave my dad.

Jesus.

• Options
    Wait hold on I was being melodramatic when I said I have 30 things

I have 33 things!

And, full disclosure, I'm counting pairs of socks as 1 thing, so

I'm basically a millionaire

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    "Look at what you did. You made me like another game, and now I have to stay up all night playing it." My roommate, giving me responsibility for the late start he will have tomorrow. Also, Super Time Force.

This is on your shoulders, Elki. You did this! :P

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I think I might get an unemployment check this week!

I would rather have like, an actual JOB, but this increases my own chances of being not-homeless.

IT ONLY TOOK THREE MONTHS!

...actually, I shouldn't talk yet until I actually have the check in my hands...

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You are cleary Dipyral.

You get all asexual and supremely confident?

• Options

You are cleary Dipyral.

Interior, Incenjucar's Home

*The clock strikes 12 midnight*

Incenjucar perks up: "I'm basically a god."

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Gim wrote: »

Jesus.

This isn't that abnormal, actually.

Most of my friends in high school had divorced parents, and a lot of them had experiences like this. Their parents coming to them, usually their mother, and just laying it on them. Usually in sort of limited terms of understanding, but yeah, like straight up all "How would you feel if mommy and daddy didn't live together anymore?" and if the kid fuckin' bawls their eyes out at the idea, the parent goes "OH GOD THIS IS MONSTROUS I CAN'T DO THIS I WILL SCAR MY CHILD, I MUST STAY TOGETHER FOR THE CHILD" and they do that.

My theory? I think any parent who puts their kid on the spot like that doesn't actually want a divorce, deep down, at that point. Like, intellectually, they want a divorce and they know they should, but emotionally they're unprepared and they're full of anxiety and guilt and feelings of obligation over the idea and don't believe they can or should do it, and they're looking for an out. So they run the idea past their kid, who 100% of the time reacts negatively, so they get confirmation that it is a bad idea and they shouldn't do it.

It's also why the child in those situations shouldn't feel guilty about reacting negatively. That's what the parent was looking for in the first place. It was a set-up.

Pony on
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I think I might get an unemployment check this week!

I would rather have like, an actual JOB, but this increases my own chances of being not-homeless.

IT ONLY TOOK THREE MONTHS!

...actually, I shouldn't talk yet until I actually have the check in my hands...

Unemployment Insurance is awesome when you get it, but holy Christ do you have to jump through hoops to get it.

The first time I applied years ago, they would send me a notice once a month that they were reviewing my application and a decision was going to be made shortly. They kept coming until I found a job and withdrew the application. I basically ended up living with my dad again for a couple months because I was completely broke.

The second time was before I moved up here. The application went through after six weeks and I got Unemployment for six months. It was actually kind of nice. I just lived on that because it covered my expenses. It left me, like, no spending money at all, but that was fine. My previous job was the most stressful job I've ever had. I basically took a six month vacation.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    There is a critical period of childhood when children process divorce particularly poorly. I might get the years wrong - it is something like 6-11 or 5-12.

If you and your partner are on amicable terms, it can be beneficial to stick together until your kid is in the tweens. But that assumes a lot regarding your ability to maintain a respectful relationship. That is absolutely not an excuse to stick with an abusive or alcoholic partner.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So sad -- this bar has run out of the materials for their drink called the banana hammock -- everyone else has one :(

But someone is playing psycho killer so :)

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    When I was four years old, I told my dad to move out of the house because it seemed like the most rational thing to do at the time.

I still feel kinda bad about that, but I think I was right.

• Options
    My shelter, welfare monies, and treatment should all roll out this week, and then, well

I can't imagine a force on this earth that is likely to stop me

• Options

Jesus.

Most of my friends in high school had divorced parents, and a lot of them had experiences like this. Their parents coming to them, usually their mother, and just laying it on them. Usually in sort of limited terms of understanding, but yeah, like straight up all "How would you feel if mommy and daddy didn't live together anymore?" and if the kid fuckin' bawls their eyes out at the idea, the parent goes "OH GOD THIS IS MONSTROUS I CAN'T DO THIS I WILL SCAR MY CHILD, I MUST STAY TOGETHER FOR THE CHILD" and they do that.

My theory? I think any parent who puts their kid on the spot like that doesn't actually want a divorce, deep down, at that point. Like, intellectually, they want a divorce and they know they should, but emotionally they're unprepared and they're full of anxiety and guilt and feelings of obligation over the idea and don't believe they can or should do it, and they're looking for an out. So they run the idea past their kid, who 100% of the time reacts negatively, so they get confirmation that it is a bad idea and they shouldn't do it.

It's also why the child in those situations shouldn't feel guilty about reacting negatively. That's what the parent was looking for in the first place. It was a set-up.

Hm. This makes sense.

My experience didn't quite go down like that, though. This is paraphrased somewhat due to time, but I was in the car with my mom and she said, "Would you be okay with me leaving your dad?" I said, "No," And nothing more was said about it.

• Options
    You get all asexual and supremely confident?

Definitely the latter, definitely NOT the former.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    http://youtu.be/B2Zjfy0kIh4

i am rock hard at the awkward sexual tension in this

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    There is a critical period of childhood when children process divorce particularly poorly. I might get the years wrong - it is something like 6-11 or 5-12.

If you and your partner are on amicable terms, it can be beneficial to stick together until your kid is in the tweens. But that assumes a lot regarding your ability to maintain a respectful relationship. That is absolutely not an excuse to stick with an abusive or alcoholic partner.

this explains why of my siblings my brother handled it most worst and still

I was too old

My sister was too young

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    microwaves and internet access sit in a bizarre vacuum that exists because the bourgeoisie left takes them for granted when they ask for subsidies to healthcare and education. one often hears the argument that it's all just plastic consumer crap from china, a real radical advocates worker empowerment via organic produce and home gardens in every lot, never mind that this is ridiculously untenable for people who cannot organize a budget never mind a garden

the early 20th century equivalent is piped running water and electrification to all households, which is likewise not, strictly speaking, necessary for living, but it achieves certain elite social goals to pursue mass ownership. but the shift from the old left to the new left seems to have shifted this kind of perspective to a middle-class narrative of empowerment, which unsurprisingly mutates into a narrative of personal responsibility

boom

there it is

the good ole narrative of personal responsibility

like, right now, my mother is homeless

she is homeless because she was renting a house from my grandfather, her father, who was technically supposed to be mortgaging the house to her but apparently that is not the case and she was just a tenant this entire time and she has literally no ownership rights

and because my grandfather is an abusive piece of shit, as a power trip when she got into it with him or trivial bullshit, he evicted her. because she is disabled and on government assistance, she cannot afford a regular apartment, and is now on a government subsidized housing waiting list. while on that waiting list, she's in a shelter.

she's only on that disability pension because of a workplace injury, an injury that her workplace insurance should cover her for, to an order far exceeding what the government disability pension is, but they're fighting with her about it and making her retain an attorney and it's going to take years to resolve

notice how none of those things are about responsibility or fault?

yet, my mother is deeply ashamed of being homeless and is hiding this fact from everyone, including her doctor and her therapist, which has made getting her to fill out government-mandated paperwork from the housing shelter completely exasperating because it's got the shelter's letterhead on it and there's no denying who the medical form establishing her disability is for, but she doesn't want to take it to her doctor because she doesn't want her doctor to know she's living in a shelter.

Her doctor. The guy who deals with her butt problems.

That is how insidious the narrative of personal responsibility is.

"but it wasn't her fault" still concedes the narrative about fault and the karmic universe, where every ill must be someone's fault and every sin must be someone's ill

"this is unjust because it isn't her fault" is exactly why being in a shelter is embarrassing - because it implies fault and hence just punishment for unnamed deviance

the question of mass housing or mass healthcare as vast, aggregate goals dissolves against personal narratives

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

yeah I thought it was before 5 or something like that

as Pony says, they won't remember

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

Jesus.

Double Jesus.

• Options

You are cleary Dipyral.

Interior, Incenjucar's Home

*The clock strikes 12 midnight*

Incenjucar perks up: "I'm basically a god."

All I'm saying is that there should be a button next to "Hail Hydra" that says "Praise the Incenjucar!"

• Options
    My shelter, welfare monies, and treatment should all roll out this week, and then, well

I can't imagine a force on this earth that is likely to stop me

Because, real talk

I mad bros

And while anger isn't the healthiest motivator ...

Boy is it effective

This discussion has been closed.