As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Which I Realize I Am Getting Old, And You Do Too.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I brought you some Werther's, Valhalla.

None for me, thanks, I'm set with these prunes.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That is clearly apple sauce with stool softener sprinkled on top.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    All these jokes made me think of Druhim.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    That is clearly apple sauce with stool softener sprinkled on top.

Then that means some sonofabitch is eating my prunes.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I forgot why I came over.

• Options
    Here's something that will put one foot in the grave: Pretty Hate Machine, the very first Nine Inch Nails album, will have it's 25th anniversary next month.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Thanks a lot for that, Deedubs.

:-(

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

Trent Reznor will be fifty years old next May.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    If you asked me "Is 25 old?" I would answer with "Not at all!"

But when I think about myself turning 25, I feel old.

jgeis on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    tmE6UPx.jpg

RT800 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of the things that makes me feel most old is my younger cousins posting on facebook about how they feel so old.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Trent Reznor will be fifty years old next May.

Now you're just being mean.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ugh. 16 year olds complaining about 'kids these days' is the worst.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Here's something that will put one foot in the grave: Pretty Hate Machine, the very first Nine Inch Nails album, will have it's 25th anniversary next month.

th

that can't be true!

well, I guess I'll go listen to some R.E.M.

Murmer can't be

oh shit.

31 years old

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Psh. Rush's epic album 2112 came out the year I was born. And now hipsters are wearing the album art on their shirts to be ironic.

c04.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Heh, mines on the 15th and I will be turning 25. Lot of September birthdays all up in here.

Hey mine too! Turning 27, though. 27 million.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I despise people of all ages equally

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Psh. Rush's epic album 2112 came out the year I was born. And now hipsters are wearing the album art on their shirts to be ironic.

c04.jpg

no really--young people, especially musically-interested young people, legitimately like rush

liking rush isn't inherently ironic!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    So, to recap on my morning drive past my old high school ...

I felt old because I graduated in 1996 and there are children in that building that are young enough for me to be a dad.

But I've been super-depressed all day because of my morning drive and I think I've finally figured out why: for the 22 years since I first set foot in that building, every other thing has tried to beat the shit out of me and I can't honestly remember the last time I didn't have to fight for something. I can't remember what it was like to have a joyful moment of celebration where things just managed to *click* my way, it's all been clawing and scraping for what little I have. And I have so very little of possessions, but I do have some great friends and loved ones in my life, people who have lifted me up when I had nothing and could offer nothing; I can never repay them for what they've done for me, I don't have the resources, I don't have the time to show them how much I love them. I'm so very tired of fighting for everything but I can't quit and I can't give up; those concepts of failure just piss me off and make me dig in harder, they make me meaner and tougher.

I can't help but think of that sweet boy I once was, the boy that stuttered and stammered, the boy that blushed whenever he talked to a girl, the boy that had hopes and dreams. He liked video games and cartoons, he tried to be a good son to his parents, he studied and worked hard, he outgrew his clothes and shoes faster than humanly possible, he could eat a gallon of food in a day and still be hungry. He had a crush in high school that lasted four long years because he could never work up the nerve to tell her how much he liked her.

Two of his friends died from separate heroin OD's, more than a dozen of them died in Iraq and Afghanistan, one of his fondest friends survived a brutal sexual assault and has never been the same. One 'friend' became addicted to cocaine and that sweet boy I used to be went away when we raised hands against each other.

I just got out of the shower and I can't remember where half of my scars come from, there's just so many of them.

I don't have any right to an ounce of hope, I understand that.

But I do have a right to my resilience.

You can hurt me but you can't kill me, I'm too goddamned stubborn.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I went to masters swimming tonight and I was one of the oldest people there

then I came home and ate a pound and a half of chinese food cause I'm still pretty young

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I realized that approximately 50% of my coworkers are younger than me :|

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    It's weird when you're new to a job and there's these people who have been there for "forever" and they all know exactly what they're doing and they seem like they've really got their shit together at work

And then one day they're like "yeah I'm turning 25 tomorrow"

:|

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    I realized that approximately 50% of my coworkers are younger than me :|

100% of my coworkers are older than me.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I'm so old my daughter posts here.

• Options
    I'm so old my daughter posts here.

And yet, there is no shame in your game.

Good for you.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i'm so old i'm 28

Wait, that's not that old.

huh. okay.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep. Ever forward, hurtling into the abyss. Might as well do it with a smile.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

th

that can't be true!

Murmer can't be

oh shit.

31 years old

Hell, Closer is already 20 years old. That blows my mind.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FCD wrote: »

th

that can't be true!

Murmer can't be

oh shit.

31 years old

Downward Spiral came out in 1991 if memory serves.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    FCD wrote: »

th

that can't be true!

Murmer can't be

oh shit.

31 years old

Downward Spiral came out in 1991 if memory serves.

well, when you're that old ....
    <3

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Sometimes if I sit for a long time, when I get up I have to shuffle to the doorway and hold onto the posts while I walk forward so my vertebrae in my back straighten out.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    that NES video doesn't make me feel old

maybe if they did one about the gamecube or something, but like, the NES is older than I am, so

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I remember when after Dooms metal 'tributes' Quake was getting a NiN soundtrack and it felt like videogames had become that more mainstream.

Doom 1 maintheme is still one of the most metal things that exist though. (Duke3D theme is pretty metal too)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm gonna spoiler this because I'm gonna be a bummer and y'all got your own problems and shit without adding my bummerness on top of it.
    I realized earlier today that I'm, statistically, about a third of the way through my time on this earth. I'll be 24 in about a month, which doesn't seem like a lot, and it really isn't, but I've done nothing with my time thus far. Nothing I can be proud of, that I can point at and say YEAH LOOK AT THAT YOU SON OF A BITCH, I DID THAT.

I was in gifted classes as a youngster. I couldn't hack it, so they booted me out. And I see former classmates of mine on Facebook, and they're travelling or getting started in really great careers, and I'm working 20 hours a week, making minimum wage, and I don't see myself ever doing anything but what I'm doing now.

It's not that I don't want to succeed, obviously. I've just been fucking things up for so long that I don't really remember how.

And, granted, all my old classmates come from extremely wealthy families by and large, but that just feels like an empty ass excuse to me whenever I think "oh, your circumstances put you at a disadvantage." I have so many gifts, y'all. A good brain, a beautiful voice, artistic talent, I used to have athletic talent too before I pissed that away. And so many people I know had such a rougher ride than I did and are making their lives into something to be proud of.

I keep thinking "oh you're still young! Don't worry, you'll figure it out!" But, as time goes on, that little voice in my head gets softer and less confident, and the one that's been telling me to take my final bow and get off the stage while I've still got some dignity left gets louder and more insistent.

I just don't know, man. And the fact that I'm in such a state just makes me feel so goddamn guilty I could choke, because it really ain't anyone's fault but mine. I've squandered all this talent and potential and I've got dick to show for it except two and a half decades of bad memories and worse decisions.

I used to think "you can be better than you are, Tony, you can prove everyone who ever told you that you weren't gonna be nothin wrong" and it just seems like, the more time goes by, the more that window's closing.

I guess I showed everyone who said I'd be dead or in prison by the time I was 25, but I still got me a year left on that one so I guess we'll see.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I decided I needed a change at 24 Metz, decided I didn't want to be on minimum wage the rest of my life, I know people in their 50s changing careers and moving across the world.

You need to work out what you want to change, and how, and start taking steps. The hardest thing is actually taking the steps, actually signing up for something new rather than doing a quick google and walking away. Make a change! You'll feel in charge of your life and full of energy for it when you do!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm gonna spoiler this because I'm gonna be a bummer and y'all got your own problems and shit without adding my bummerness on top of it.
    I realized earlier today that I'm, statistically, about a third of the way through my time on this earth. I'll be 24 in about a month, which doesn't seem like a lot, and it really isn't, but I've done nothing with my time thus far. Nothing I can be proud of, that I can point at and say YEAH LOOK AT THAT YOU SON OF A BITCH, I DID THAT.

I was in gifted classes as a youngster. I couldn't hack it, so they booted me out. And I see former classmates of mine on Facebook, and they're travelling or getting started in really great careers, and I'm working 20 hours a week, making minimum wage, and I don't see myself ever doing anything but what I'm doing now.

It's not that I don't want to succeed, obviously. I've just been fucking things up for so long that I don't really remember how.

And, granted, all my old classmates come from extremely wealthy families by and large, but that just feels like an empty ass excuse to me whenever I think "oh, your circumstances put you at a disadvantage." I have so many gifts, y'all. A good brain, a beautiful voice, artistic talent, I used to have athletic talent too before I pissed that away. And so many people I know had such a rougher ride than I did and are making their lives into something to be proud of.

I keep thinking "oh you're still young! Don't worry, you'll figure it out!" But, as time goes on, that little voice in my head gets softer and less confident, and the one that's been telling me to take my final bow and get off the stage while I've still got some dignity left gets louder and more insistent.

I just don't know, man. And the fact that I'm in such a state just makes me feel so goddamn guilty I could choke, because it really ain't anyone's fault but mine. I've squandered all this talent and potential and I've got dick to show for it except two and a half decades of bad memories and worse decisions.

I used to think "you can be better than you are, Tony, you can prove everyone who ever told you that you weren't gonna be nothin wrong" and it just seems like, the more time goes by, the more that window's closing.

I guess I showed everyone who said I'd be dead or in prison by the time I was 25, but I still got me a year left on that one so I guess we'll see.

Here's the thing. You're 24. By normal metrics, you have 41 years of working left. 41. At most, you've only worked 6 so far (if you went straight from high school to working). If you went to college, it's more like 2. So at most you've squandered maybe 5-10%, that's it; I wouldn't even call it squandered, as you've learned important lessons about how much minimum wage sucks.
    So you've got step 1 down (IE, I should do something), and you've done it before 30, and before 25 even. Basically everyone paying attention has a mini-crisis at 24, and again at 27-28.
    So the question is: Are you going to stand pat or are you going to get motivated? It sounds trite, but the reality is that most people don't see any real success until they're in their 30's. Are some of your friends/acquiantances careers taking off? Sure, you should be happy for them. What you should not be doing is comparing yourself to them and saying "wow, I've failed". You've hit a speedbump, but you're 24 in a horrendous economic climate (at least the past few years). Many of the people you mentioned will burn out or hit speedbumps later, so don't worry about "keeping up", as it's not about them, it's about you. If you want to be successful, start defining that success and breaking it apart into little steps.
    Can you get a 100k job? Sounds like a lot, but if you break it down into getting the education you need, making contacts, working in a few different jobs and developing your specializations, it starts to look more attainable. An advanced degree sounds hard, but taking 1 class isn't. Focus on your goal and what you can do TODAY and tomorrow to make it happen. There are a lot of resources out there to help you, and what you'll find is that being successful isn't about having your first attempt be perfect, it's about always getting up and being better than the day before. Comparing yourself to others is useless unless you're doing it for comparative gap analysis, IE what you should do next to shore up the resume.
    Lastly, you're 24. If you have all these gifts (and athletic you can get back easier than any other), just put the work in and it will be ok. All the people as successful and more successful than me are defined more by the amount of time they spent developing themselves and challenging themselves than any innate talent.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    In which I realize I don't know where my thumb is while eating a chicken strip and I bit my thumb, but luckily I mostly caught nail that deflected most of the chomp.

(Also in which I snort Barqs out of my nose because while proofreading I see my phone corrected a typo to "where my thumb is while eating a chicks strip")

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    The Kids React videos are baffling to me, since I could recognize what old tech was when I was their age. But... that's probably because I grew up watching Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Disney movies, AAP cartoons, UPA cartoons, Hanna Barbera, and various theatrical cartoons made a generation earlier. Very little media stays in the popular consciousness that long anymore, so there's not much giving them reference points as to what life was like before the internet.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    GSM wrote: »
    The Kids React videos are baffling to me, since I could recognize what old tech was when I was their age. But... that's probably because I grew up watching Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Disney movies, AAP cartoons, UPA cartoons, Hanna Barbera, and various theatrical cartoons made a generation earlier. Very little media stays in the popular consciousness that long anymore, so there's not much giving them reference points as to what life was like before the internet.

This so much. Seeing 3 stooges and looney tunes shorts saturday mornings, having my dad sit down and explain certain things to me, all that helped. Hell, I think I got a lot of the Animaniac jokes when they first aired because Nickelodeon used to play the ooooooooold black and white cartoons on occasion (Bosco and Honey if you're old enough to remember) and I loved Slappy Squirrel with all her aged references (I laughing so hard at the "You remind me of a very young Yippy, Yappy and Yahooy" joke because I knew those characters). Watching "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp" and Get Smart on Nick at Night...

I wonder if part of it was the fact that a lot of those older cartoons had to be made for a more general audience so there's a lot of jokes on various layers.

Though today I learned that my team lead is only a year younger than me, but also recognized a still scene from Metropolis (I thought I was one of the few to have watched that movie under the age of 50).

I kinda wonder if there's gonna be a 20 year reunion for my graduating class in 4 years. I think I'm in a better position to go this time, what with in a decent job and not stationed overseas like I was for the 10 and 5.
    But then again, I never really cared for those people hence why I moved out of the state and joined the military.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    and while the economy is in the shitter, this is actually really good time to be an artist thanks to the internet

independent content creators are more empowered now than ever, I think, so if you think you'd be happiest doing something creative, get to that

the trend is no longer "plug away in obscurity until you're discovered by someone important," but rather "find out what you can make that a lot of people like and turn it out consistently." via youtube, kindle, or whatever your bag is

if you already have a work ethic in the age of free, 24/7, instantly available entertainment, you're way ahead of most people

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg