Options

The [Movie] Thread: The Movie!

• Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    Is that the new Denzel movie they've been advertising? If so I saw a preview for it and thought "Didn't we already do this in Man on Fire?" If so.. how does it compare to Man on Fire?

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Watched Mulholland Drive.

What. 7/10

Oh and Event Horizon is a masterpiece. Judeo/Christian baddies out to get our protagonist? Yawn. A spaceship with sciency themes and menacing interiors out to get our protagonists? Tell me more. A damned shame about what happened to the extra footage/scenes.

Event Horizon was weak. It lacked the courage to just go full-on Lovecraft or Warhammer 40,000. Are you telling me that the only thing that evil from beyond our reality can do is give you hallucinations of stuff you were already afraid of? If we're talking Sam Neill horror from the 90s, In the Mouth of Madness at least showed glimpses of what the horrors from beyond reality were, and that was three years earlier.

Mulholland Drive on the other hand, is a fantastically realized mindfuck and one of my favorite movies. Has to be seen at least twice to appreciate the hot-girl-on girl action trippy plot intersections. My favorite is the Cowboy and how many times you're supposed to see him.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Re: Law Abiding Citizen, that movie is ridiculous dumb fun. But the real problem with the ending isn't the reveal, it's the end of Jamie Foxx's character arc. The set-up for his story is "Because Foxx was a lazy prosecutor, some of the killers went free, leading to Butler's need for vengeance"; but the end of his story is the standard "Father who works too hard realizes he needs to spend more time with his kids, so he skips a work thing to show up to his daughter's recital just in time to nod approvingly at her solo." But this is entirely the opposite lesson he should have learned! The end of the movie should have been him skipping the recital (little girl cries on stage when she sees her Daddy's seat is empty) to go work harder (Foxx hunched over stacks of paperwork in his office) so that his corner of the justice system no longer has a loophole ("We'll get them," Foxx promises the next surviving husband, and this time he means it).

People really need to stop acting like not going to recitals or plays or sporting events are shattering, life altering things in a child's life. If they are, you have done a terrible job raising your kid.

What I hated about Foxx's character arc was that
    he breaks the law in the end, in what the movie tries to make a "fuck yeah" moment, but that is what should have happened earlier and none of this would have gone this far. Or rather, if it did, Butler would be more of a bad guy/antagonist than he ultimately is shown as. In the end he breaks the law to beat Butler (and burn him alive) and that should have gnawed away at him both in his family and professional life to show that Butler may be dead but will ultimately win in the end with Foxx finally suffering.

The film would have been stronger had Foxx actually been ok with Butler Dextering the bad guys and trying to let him get away with the murders (instead of an off the cuff half approval/half salesman tactic to gain trust), and then Butler's all consuming grief grows from that.

Because really, there's a big difference in letting a grieving dude kill the people responsible for ruining his life instead of trying to prosecute him (also notice how the prosecution thing comes and goes as needed, when it should have been much, much more important to the story as a whole?), and just breaking into a property the guy owns to figure out how he's killing all these people.

Watched that film and it immediately went from a "solid" to "butt-dumb" when Butler's character, who is pushing the "natural justice" angle super-hard, just randomly murders somebody because they were in the way. The person was completely uninvolved in what happened to him and his family, and he pretty much just goes "meh" to the sound of the character's consistency and motives crashing down around the viewer's ears.

It's like they got halfway through the film and were like "oh man, we can't imply that the legal system is broken and that the law and justice actually aren't the same thing and that somebody can be against the law and still right, turn him into a bad guy". And then the movie goes from a lawyer having to face morality questions stemming from the inadequacies of the legal system he serves and goes straight to a boring thing about just chasing down a smart murderer.

It was just such a terribly clumsy "twist", both in execution and in terms of Butler's character.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Give me this movie right fucking now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocx2wwxHQFE

5 days.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    EWom wrote: »
    Is that the new Denzel movie they've been advertising? If so I saw a preview for it and thought "Didn't we already do this in Man on Fire?" If so.. how does it compare to Man on Fire?

Equalizer is a lot more bloody and McCall would kick his characters ass from man on fire, like this is not a movie that has speeches about why he does what he does, it just shows you he's a person that once he starts he doesn't stop until everyone is dead.

I mean the closest bad ass I can see in a movie is the dude from A Man From Nowhere. Just a flat out cold blooded murderer, other Denzel characters you get the feeling he has empathy, I didn't get that from McCall in Equalizer, his acts of kindness almost seem like an act of trying to be a human when he's clearly more comfortable inflicting pain and death.

I mean spoilers for a some kills in Equalizer.

He uses a power drill and rams it into a dudes skull, hangs a dude with barbed wire and then uses like garden shears to impale another guy who comes to check in on that guy, and there is of course the shot glass to the eye from the trailer, and he uses wine corks as a way to uncork a minions jaw.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    This is too near philosophy, but on the whole I don't look for perfection in any form of entertainment.

There are an awful lot of movies that used to do something for me that, years later only leave me cold. If I see a movie and think it is perfect, this is something that all but promises me that the future will not be kind to my current feelings. Mostly I try to go "Is this movie mostly about a thing I like?" And then, "Is this movie doing this thing I like better than any other movie already out there?" And maybe, "Is this movie doing something that really feels like it's never been tried before?"

For example, Dark City was a movie I loved the fuck out of. I saw it opening night without next so zilch knowledge of it (it really did have an amazing trailer that's still chill-inducing) and Dark City is a movie that's really a sight to behold on a giant theater screen with scant expectations.

But now? Now Dark City feels like a good two-thirds of a Butters South Park episode played absolutely straight and stretched around some noir paranoia. I can't look past how damn limited the human interaction is in this movie, and even if the reasons are written right into the script at the end, once you've become a grown-ass human being, you kind of go, "Huh. So, uh. He's got absolutely no friends or support network and he knows he is truly alone in a world of his own making and the only person who even knows he exists doesn't have that anymore either, but he's gonna latch onto that person because what else can he do, even though that's really fucked up, and wow, this is supposed to be a happy ending isn't it?"

I've also found a lot of the time that other people's perfection to be a telling metric for "Inoffensive. Tells the story it's there to tell. Casting did a solid job but didn't take any risks either." My best mileage has always come from movies that at first leave me oddly disappointed or confuse me in a way that I'm unable to verbalize. That almost always means I'm going to see it again, and that there's something more to it that I will in fact work out.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Equalizer is a lot more bloody and McCall would kick his characters ass from man on fire, like this is not a movie that has speeches about why he does what he does, it just shows you he's a person that once he starts he doesn't stop until everyone is dead.

I mean the closest bad ass I can see in a movie is the dude from A Man From Nowhere. Just a flat out cold blooded murderer, other Denzel characters you get the feeling he has empathy, I didn't get that from McCall in Equalizer, his acts of kindness almost seem like an act of trying to be a human when he's clearly more comfortable inflicting pain and death.

He uses a power drill and rams it into a dudes skull, hangs a dude with barbed wire and then uses like garden shears to impale another guy who comes to check in on that guy, and there is of course the shot glass to the eye from the trailer, and he uses wine corks as a way to uncork a minions jaw.

That whole section felt kinda shoe horned in.
    I do like how at the end, after murdering like a dozen Russians in the Not Home Depot where he worked for years he just moved back into the neighborhood.

That...does not seem like the way to disappear.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

I do like how at the end, after murdering like a dozen Russians in the Not Home Depot where he worked for years he just moved back into the neighborhood.

Why would he need to dissappear? I mean its not like anyone would have talked, his cia friend wouldn't tell anyone he was still alive, and the fbi/local cops were probably just happy the gangsters were gone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also early estimates look to be coming in good for the equalizer so the proposed green lighted sequel will probably go ahead. Which is good I enjoyed the origin story as it were.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I watched Fruitvale Station last night, and I still just kind of need a hug... I'll have more coherent thoughts at some point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Boxtrolls is the best movie with a little girl vore fetishist you'll see all year!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Why would he need to dissappear? I mean its not like anyone would have talked, his cia friend wouldn't tell anyone he was still alive, and the fbi/local cops were probably just happy the gangsters were gone.
    He left a dozen brutally murdered Russians along with a bunch of his blood around his place of employment, which he blew up a good chunk of. That is a whole lot of shush. I get it's an action movie and I wasn't really worried about it but that scene with Miss Not Appearing in Act 2 was a bit much. I know the film reason why they did it but it was also a fairly large amount of silly.

Kinda wish the movie decided where on the ridiculously implausible scale it wanted to fall. The slow build up and the character work there feels like it is trying to be serious but the Not Home Depot section was like a role reversed horror movie.

So before Equalizer they played a preview for John Wick. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny but I laughed at the set up. I want to like that movie but I just hope it actually knows it is a silly movie and goes with it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Have seen a couple dif previews for The Judge today and from the cast alone it is a must see for me.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options

He left a dozen brutally murdered Russians along with a bunch of his blood around his place of employment, which he blew up a good chunk of. That is a whole lot of shush. I get it's an action movie and I wasn't really worried about it but that scene with Miss Not Appearing in Act 2 was a bit much. I know the film reason why they did it but it was also a fairly large amount of silly.

Kinda wish the movie decided where on the ridiculously implausible scale it wanted to fall. The slow build up and the character work there feels like it is trying to be serious but the Not Home Depot section was like a role reversed horror movie.

So before Equalizer they played a preview for John Wick. I don't know if it was supposed to be funny but I laughed at the set up. I want to like that movie but I just hope it actually knows it is a silly movie and goes with it.

Judging by the reviews, it does. Even judging by the glorious "Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back" line it does. It's at 100% with 8 reviews on RT.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Die Hard will always be the perfect movie for me. Everything from casual racism, to European people are generally interchangeable for whatever country you want them to be from, its got everything you want in a late 80's action movie.

Die Hard : The 80s :: True Lies : The 90s

• Options
    Die Hard With a Vengeance was fun as hell and the opening was great.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My list of 'perfect' films is pretty short, but:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
    Charade
    Amelie
    Dark City

and as of recent, The Royal Tenenbaums.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My list of (near) perfect films:

Miyazaki: My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo

Lynch: Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, The Straight Story, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire

Tarantino: Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, Inglorious Basterds

Coens: Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou?, A Serious Man

Burton: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Jackson: Dead Alive, Heavenly Creatures, The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Kubrick: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining

Bird: The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille

Hitchcock: Dial M For Murder, Psycho, Rear Window

Kaufman: Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Synecdoche New York

Kurosawa: Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Throne of Blood

Gilliam: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Brazil

Zemeckis: Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Romero: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Arndt: Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3

Allen: Crimes and Misdemeanors, Hannah and Her Sisters

O'Brien: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

von Trier: Dogville

Takahata: Grave of the Fireflies

Henson: Labyrinth

del Toro: Pan's Labyrinth

Oz: Little Shop of Horrors

Welles: Citizen Kane

Curtiz: Casablanca

Malle: My Dinner with Andre

Attenborough: Gandhi

Hughes: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Tarkovsky: Ivan's Childhood

• Options
    No Raising Arizona makes the whole list null and void.

• Options
    I...I've actually never seen Raising Arizona

*hangs head in shame

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The big lebowski is probably the most perfect comedy ever made

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The big lebowski is probably the most perfect comedy ever made

It ties the whole room together.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    The perfect film is whichever one I really liked when I was that age where people decide on their favourite film.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    You guys are missing one very important film from every single one of your perfect films list:

The Land Before Time.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    When it comes to movies I don't really have lists of perfect movies anymore. I used to and my list is pretty much what has already been posted. I personally would put Casablanca over Citizen Kane, but that's just because I am a sucker for the romance angle.

However that the original 1957 Twelve Angry Men has not been mention is a lapse that cannot be ignored. I will let you off because it was original a play, but 1957 version is the standard by which all other versions and remakes are measured.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Ooh I watched 22 Jump Street just now and I have to say that it felt like the only way to do such a sequel. The constant meta-jokes could have been tiring and fallen flat but they managed to build upon the joke enough every time that it worked. I laughed a lot and that's really only the thing I could have wanted from it.

It really is a case of the actors and the script saving each other at exactly the right times to make the film still fun. When the jokes about the silly premise start getting thin Tatum and Hill jump in with some inspired fucking comedy which they tone down when we need some more plot and jokes about the premise again.

Julius on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Krieghund on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Land Before Time might not be in my perfect movie list, but it will always be in my heart.

Couldn't like T-Rexes until Power Rangers showed up thanks to that movie.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Land Before Time is ruined for me after my son saw the show on Amazon Prime and we had to watch it. It was awful.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Land Before Time is ruined for me after my son saw the show on Amazon Prime and we had to watch it. It was awful.

Wouldn't the sequels do that first?

Like, even as a kid, when "DINOSAURS!" was king of all selling points, I recognized those got pretty shitty.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've always wondered if those LBT sequels were the first direct to video movies of a big time movie, or if it was Disney who did it first with Aladdin 2.

One of them got the ball rolling and made the whole thing viable, and we're still suffering for it now.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »

Wouldn't the sequels do that first?

Like, even as a kid, when "DINOSAURS!" was king of all selling points, I recognized those got pretty shitty.

I stopped watching the sequels before they made me hate the original. I don't think I've seen later than 3, maybe?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I loved land before time as a kid, but when I think about it now it's so bittersweet because it reminds me that the little girl who voiced Ducky was killed by her father in a murder suicide when she was 10 years old. =(

• Options
    12 Angry Men is fantastic. There's something appealing to me about stripped down, stageplay-esque movies that mostly take place in one single location, like 12 Angry Men, and Dial M For Murder, Rope, Dogville, The Big Kahuna, My Dinner With Andre, etc.

Although, this is maybe a blasphemous opinion but I always felt like Henry Fonda was wrong for the part. I dunno, I think the character should have exuded thoughtfulness and goodness and instead Fonda just seemed kind of pissed off. Jimmy Stewart would've been better.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I've always wondered if those LBT sequels were the first direct to video movies of a big time movie, or if it was Disney who did it first with Aladdin 2.

One of them got the ball rolling and made the whole thing viable, and we're still suffering for it now.

Aladdin 2 came first by most of a year.

So, Disney's fault.

On the upside, it seems like it's not happening so often lately. The 90s and early '00s were rather... dense with that sort of thing.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    wandering wrote: »
    12 Angry Men is fantastic. There's something appealing to me about stripped down, stageplay-esque movies that mostly take place in one single location, like 12 Angry Men, and Dial M For Murder, Rope, Dogville, The Big Kahuna, My Dinner With Andre, etc.

Although, this is maybe a blasphemous opinion but I always felt like Henry Fonda was wrong for the part. I dunno, I think the character should have exuded thoughtfulness and goodness and instead Fonda just seemed kind of pissed off. Jimmy Stewart would've been better.

What other Henry Fonda movies have you seen? Fonda was generally considered the standard for thoughtful, goodly characters. The one exception was Once Upon a Time in the West (which was an intentional hiring on Leone's part to play off Fonda's image).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Aladdin 2 came first by most of a year.

So, Disney's fault.

On the upside, it seems like it's not happening so often lately. The 90s and early '00s were rather... dense with that sort of thing.

That would be Eisner's fault.

• Options
    Just saw The Rover. Absolutely loved it. Minimalist yet elemental and haunting, evoked the atmosphere of a post apocalyptic world even better than The Road did, though I love that movie dearly as well.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    wandering wrote: »

To be fair, anything is improved by the addition of Jimmy Stewart.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.