As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    And then there's Argentium silver, which is sterling silver alloy that never tarnishes! Or does, but barely compared to normal silver. It's a bit more expensive, but I've bought it for things like silver necklace chains and think it's pretty rad.

I've always loved silver, copper too, but in the past few years I've really gravitated towards rose gold. It's like the newest, brightest copper penny. <3

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Rose gold is gold alloyed with copper, isn't it? I forget exactly but I like it. My grandmother used to own some Black Hills gold jewelry and I liked how they used the various colors and I liked the leaf designs too. That's why my wedding band is a vine that circles my finger a few times with leaves sticking off of it (though it's only silver and not gold)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Non-pure yellow gold for jewellery is alloyed with silver, rose gold is alloyed with copper.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    What kind of place would I look for if I wanted to get a custom piece of clothing (lightweight colonial frock coat) made? The prop person I usually would go to is a state away and I don't think tailors would do it.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    depends on the tailor, I know my mum did stuff like that for her couture gown lady.
    also depends on your timeline. Worth looking on etsy and other crafty places, some folks offer custom work.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Is there an acting company near you? Could ask about their costume person, and see if they have time.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    whoooo boy

ok, so I've got about 70% of the bark stripped, and things are progressing nicely! I decided to take it outside and sand it a bit just to see some light at the end of the tunnel!

I didn't see that light hahahahaha

Instead, sanding brought into sharp focus every tiny imperfection, be it natural (bug holes/tracks) or unnatural (my amateur chiseling) present in the wood.

I am definitely going to need a decent set of rifflers and rasps before I can finish this thing. Either that, or I'll need to get WAY better with my dremel.

anyway!

not quitting!

Before sanding:

10712889_10152691230293279_2002467502203326620_n.jpg?oh=d8c94a5d1acdb1ee1414423353ac7dc6&oe=548817CF&__gda__=1421417945_da5f19b1de971fd415a36a3856959fc5

After sanding:

10665344_10152691230283279_2484625021173965431_n.jpg?oh=492aa55c87eb6a3f414d7272ebcb58df&oe=54C05614&__gda__=1418184082_99afea2d0812468ecfb9913e538bedb6

Heaven help me!

edit:
    I should mention that none of those bug holes are even remotely deep. It's just the lighting. They all end after about 1/32"

Xaquin on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I still think it looks super cool

#pipe on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    When you lacquer that the colour and grain is going to POP THE FUCK OUT and it will be so pretty!

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    That seriously looks so good, and the fact that you are just jumping in with gusto is also freaking awesome

• Options
    Thanks all!

Not going to lie, I was kind of worried

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Maybe you said and I missed it, but is this going to stand alone as a small side-table, or are you going to put a top on it to make something bigger? I think it would look amazing with a glass top, so you can look down through and seeing the rings and colours

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I remember the plan being a glass top

It is pretty tall for a coffee table, though!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to get a custom 1/2" tempered glass top made with beveled edges.

The current plan is to make it a breakfast table, but cutting it shorter and making a coffee table makes more sense.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    If you're concerned about the bug holes (I'm not sure how this might affect the look after a lacquer/varnish, but potentially not at all) you could always get some filler, and use it to remove the obviousness of those holes. I seem to remember that wood filler can come in different colors, and can be stain-able/lacquer-able.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Do something else with that wood then... seems a shame to waste any of it

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you're concerned about the bug holes (I'm not sure how this might affect the look after a lacquer/varnish, but potentially not at all) you could always get some filler, and use it to remove the obviousness of those holes. I seem to remember that wood filler can come in different colors, and can be stain-able/lacquer-able.

You'd want to be careful with the colour match - but it's probably not too bad if you're just going to lacquer. Staining can be weird with wood filler because even if the original colour is close, it can uptake the stain differently to the wood and won't necessarily match either.

Personally I'd probably just use some clear resin to fill them in and make sure the surface is even, but then I think the holes look fine and make it more organic, so ...

• Options
    Yeah, I kind of like the holes myself. I think it all looks great so far

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm not going to stain it, just seal it with linseed oil.

If I varnish it, I'd use the lightest color available.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Wood filler would be difficult because the color of the natural wood is such a feature of this project. I think it'll probably look better with a little more sanding and rasping, since some of that texture is really neat.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    @Xaquin

there is a cool thing you could do where you take two-part resin and mix some fluorescent pigment in with it. brush the mix on the surface of the wood like lacquer, it won't show the color with a thin coating on the surface, but anywhere there's a dent or crack it'll show up the color of the pigment you put in

really though those imperfections are not serious enough to worry about. if there were structurally iffy cracks then that'd be one thing, but as it is you totally could just layer some laquer on there till it's smooth

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Yeah if you want more information on resin coating
    Literally my day job

I think linseed oil will look pretty awesome tho

• Options
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that looks freaking amazing.

seriously.

bug holes and all. I am super jealous.

• Options
    we made a ring tonight

Ji4qs2P.jpg

the idea was to make it look like something a Viking woulda made

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    we made a ring tonight

Ji4qs2P.jpg

Vikings used rings as a currency
    To trade and to sell
    So does it?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @Typhoid Manny, that's awesome!

In table news,

Sometimes a big chisel just won't cut it aahahahahahahaha

but seriously, my awesome sister found a $3 used 1/4" Craftsman Wood Chisel that absolutely blows away all my other tools. This thing has an edge that shaves off wood like a hot knife through butter.

10653763_10152694256713279_6620839157345820244_n.jpg?oh=3e34c4a078deb776dc12002c208d7203&oe=54B5F583

also, all of the bark from the 'outer' portions of the branches is GONE!

Only the 'inner' portions remain. I need to break out the dremel, because some of these places are going to be too difficult to get to with a chisel.

10665827_10152694256733279_2887912035037107907_n.jpg?oh=b1815e1c9a5723071e29d439c165806a&oe=54CA2958&__gda__=1422839602_33810326094ba02aa80d4ff61497f00c

Xaquin on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I made a thing, but I'll let @Metalbourne post it if she wants :3

• Options
    Progress on the doll project!

DSC_0077.jpg

Tucked in the side panels and applied the front panel, and finally got the cuffs on!

DSC_0082.jpg

embroidered one of the tuck-panels...

DSC_0083.jpg

and the shoulder yoke, because I'm like that, I guess.

A better shot of the front embroidery:

DSC_0084.jpg

now to get back to work on the head... oh and pants I guess, starship captains usually need pants.

and then from there it's probably going to be straight Halloween costuming stuff until I've got that completed...

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    I made a thing, but I'll let @Metalbourne post it if she wants :3

Tuesday!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Doot doot doot, started crocheting a hat while watching a movie. I forgot how soothing crochet is, and I guess I need warm things to survive the winter and all. It's been a pretty nice evening!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    we made a ring tonight

Ji4qs2P.jpg

To trade and to sell
    So does it?

it's available for trade and/or sale definitely!

also it kinda vaguely resembles animal motifs the norse played around with a lot in like the 10th century

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Brainleech wrote: »
    we made a ring tonight

Ji4qs2P.jpg

To trade and to sell
    So does it?

it's available for trade and/or sale definitely!

also it kinda vaguely resembles animal motifs the norse played around with a lot in like the 10th century

You actually did a lot better than them!
    rune-stone.jpg

Though vikings tended to not wear rings or earrings themselves. It wasn't a 'hate' thing, they just tended to be very practical traders. Though when they started being hired as mercenaries some of them picked up cultural traditions from other people. A lot of the
    Scandinavian jewelry artifacts were very very simple, like coil of wire simple. There were a few more ornate pieces that tend to be found more as part of some horde or cache.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    FgHQXLU.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Beautiful TM!

This picture doesn't do the wood grain I uncovered tonight proper justice. It's gorgeous.

10460209_10152696387983279_4213659014947917198_n.jpg?oh=b53ff4a07c408eaff3407502553886e6&oe=54C314BC&__gda__=1421785679_6d4f97e9ecd44ff29ef8e90911cfce4d

So close to dremel/rasps/orbital sander/hand sanding!

10641279_10152696387958279_543557069436469220_n.jpg?oh=92cc052af236f7477348abae6f8962ba&oe=54878871&__gda__=1418071113_097a6964b2d002329dc23a0ea10ab331

also, HOLY FUCK!

Facebook asked me if I wanted to tag my friend ....

10676327_10152696390648279_1907093451511297462_n.jpg?oh=9120b24229bf7b1a39eeb4ea1be9b542&oe=54CC0961&__gda__=1421762935_c293a5bcfb6d71b36cedbeeaf2a63ed3

!!!!

edit: I can't even figure out where in my pictures that is

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I can see it, it's in the upper-middle part.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    found it =P

thanks =)

• Options
    I see a jolly guy with a beard and moustache in that picture. Go home santa, you're drunk...and also a tree.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is awesome.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    IMG_24953551358713_zpslf5hq2nr.jpeg
    Here is the thing @usagi made for jerktoria's birthday

Metalbourne on
This discussion has been closed.