Options

[MtG] Everyone's uncle works for WOTC

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    Return to The Dark

But we already did that!

I need Commander previews to start so I can see what Serra does.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    maybe tarkir after fate reforged is kamigawa

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Kamagawa's main problem was that most of the mechanics sucked and the power level was awful for the entire block.... except for jite. I think thematically it was fine but yeah... bushido was ok but not spectacular, soulshift was possibly the worst mechanic ever made, splice onto arcane was neat but needlessly complex and being attached to arcane made it never matter. Ninjitsu was cool but I feel like betrayers came too late to save the block. I don't think there was a single good card in saviors?

Actually Theros block felt similar to me. Top down design based on actual mythology, serious power-down leading to few exciting cards, mechanics were the opposite of pushed... bad sales after the first set.

I'd love to see return to Kamagawa though I loved that set thematically.

After fate reforged I'm just expecting everything to be awful dragon fueled post-apocalypse, with the clans (if they still exist as such) working together to stay alive VS dragons everywhere. Congratulations you saved Ugin and the dragons.... fast forward to dragons immolating everyone.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    return to mirro-...

wait

i think i'm good

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Well they have to finish up the Mirrodin stuff at some point, right?

Plus the Phyrexians are rad and classic Mtg villains, so I'm cool with going back to New Phyrexia whenever.

• Options
    I do expect we'll get a phyrexia vs ???? at some point. Last we saw Venser he was dead, but only cause he's missing a robot heart, and I'm sure phyrexia has none of those on hand. He was specifically working on a sort of weatherlight 2.0 in the comics so I'd be super surprised if we don't see a "Venser Perfected" or something of the sort helping lead a bunch of plane jumping ships full of phyrexians into another established plane and going full on evil robot colonialist on everyone.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Venser gave up his spark for Karn, so if he becomes a phyrexian, he won't be a planeswalker anymore (as far as I know wrt the story)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Ah that is probably true... (though I'm curious if they could resist making an evil robot venser NOT a planes walker).
    He'd still have all his plans to make sweet interplanar flying sailboats though.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Return to Urza's saga. Make every card broken and only playable in that block. Bring back block. When everything is broken, nothing is.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Forums hiccup

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Forums hiccup

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Return to Banding

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Playing Hyper Tolarian Acadamy sounds fun.

Speaking of Tolarian Acadamy why don't we have an MTG branded high school drama about students at Tolarian Academy yet?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not the part of the dumbasses at Wizards who took "Ninjas" and "Magic" and decided to make horrible cards

the ninjas were not the problem with kamigawa

• Options
    The Betman wrote: »
    Venser gave up his spark for Karn, so if he becomes a phyrexian, he won't be a planeswalker anymore (as far as I know wrt the story)

venser is dead as hell

he gave his lifeforce and spark to karn

• Options
    Pfff phyrexians don't need no lifeforce.

• Options
    characters in magic that are dead tend to actually stay dead with very rare exception

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not the part of the dumbasses at Wizards who took "Ninjas" and "Magic" and decided to make horrible cards

Problems with Kamigawa:
    -Legendaries at uncommon, too many Legendaries in general
    -Mechanics that only worked in block (splice onto Arcane, arcane in general, Bushido, Ninjutsu)
    -Confusing mythology
    -Epic was terrible
    -Sweep was terrible
    -Flip cards were hard to read and often difficult to understand
    -Cards that require you to have a ton of cards in hand mean you aren't playing cards
    -Much lower power than the preceding blocks

Taramoor on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    phyrexia vs theros is a super obvious story and mechanical beat that needs to happen

devotion to phyrexian mana is a perfect evolution of the mechanic

narratively elspeth breaking out of the underworld to triumph over her long-standing enemies is perfect, as is elesh using theros' unique oddities to create a phyrexian god

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    characters in magic that are dead tend to actually stay dead with very rare exception

Yeah, I'm impressed that they've kept Venser and Yawgmoth dead - must be very tempting to bring them back; they're awesome, have a lot of history in the game, and the incentives are similar to those with comic characters.

Elspeth is obviously coming back, but Theros's underworld was well-established with that in mind.

• Options
    also the problem with kamigawa is that isamaru is tied to that dead-end plane

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    @Taramoor‌

While those things are true, on the interest of being fair, the main problem with Bushido and Ninjutsu are the names (plane-specific), they are just simple creature mechanics otherwise, MaRo has said that Bushido could come back with another name easily.

And the previous block was Mirrodin so yeah.

• Options

Uh, yeah, I know.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    @Taramoor‌

While those things are true, on the interest of being fair, the main problem with Bushido and Ninjutsu are the names (plane-specific), they are just simple creature mechanics otherwise, MaRo has said that Bushido could come back with another name easily.

And the previous block was Mirrodin so yeah.

True. Ninjutsu is amazing and deserves to return under another name. Bushido is so simple that being stuck with that name is a real problem.

Epic, Sweep, Arcane, and Splice onto Arcane, along with the other listed things remain true.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    kamigawa had those twin spearmen guy who let you break the legendary rule if you had one of each art right?

I thought that was neat kamigawa is alright with me

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Maybe the problem isn't with the low power blocks but that they always have to come after the most broken blocks!

Radius on
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    kamigawa had those twin spearmen guy who let you break the legendary rule if you had one of each art right?

I thought that was neat kamigawa is alright with me

technically you were allowed to have two of them in play, regardless of the art

but what schlub wouldn't put two with the different art out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Return to Return to Ravnica

RTRTR

• Options
    Maybe the problem isn't with the low power blocks but that they always have to come after the most broken blocks!

varying power is definitely a problem, but kamigawa was a fucking mess and one of the weakest sets ever printed

it was just a jumble of inconsistent ideas and wound up being as weak as pre-urza for the most part

• Options

varying power is definitely a problem, but kamigawa was a fucking mess and one of the weakest sets ever printed

it was just a jumble of inconsistent ideas and wound up being as weak as pre-urza for the most part

With a few exceptions.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=81979&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=87599&type=card&options=rotate180Image.ashx?multiverseid=80283&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50321&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50445&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50400&type=card

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    We got time travel, let's "return" to things we never got to see

Pre-Alpha!

Urza and Mishra punching each other in the face with giant machines!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

With a few exceptions.
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=81979&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=87599&type=card&options=rotate180Image.ashx?multiverseid=80283&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50321&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50445&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=50400&type=card

ink-eyes should be in there too, but overall? yeesh

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Man if I could get a brother's war set

Man

• Options
    also 3 of those are only used in edh, 2 are banned in modern and kiki-jiki is kinda on the downswing

• Options
    fucking christ sensei's was such a dumb idea though

who fucking thought that would be ok

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Azusa, Lost But Seeking is such a boss name

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Azusa, lost butt seeking

teehee

• Options
    heeheehee she lost her butt

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Lost Butt Seeking Female

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Lost Butt Seeking Female

this is no place for your craigslist posts

This discussion has been closed.