Options

Election Day 2014: Apparently Now a Thread For Arguing with Fox News Talking Points

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    McConnell today, to reporters:
    McConnell made it clear he’ll only go so far to please the tea party activists who want big fights with Obama: “There will be no government shutdown, no default on the national debt.” He also noted that “when the American people chose divided government, I don’t think it means they don’t want us to do anything.”
    But he also declared that the Senate won’t be shy about sending Obama bills he’s sure to veto.
    “We’re going to pass legislation, some of which he may not like, but we’re going to function,” McConnell said.

Translation: Republicans are going to put forward legislation and scream obstruction when (let's be honest, if) Dems/Obama don't accept it.

At which point the narrative will shift from Democrats refusing to compromise with the minority party who should get the exact legislation they want to the Dems refusing to compromise with the majority who should get the exact legislation they want.

here's the thing

whenever i talk to my conservative friends about how it's nonsense that they get to complain about anything when their party has spent four years actively stopping the government from doing anything useful

they say they're happy the government isn't doing anything useful because government is bad

but now they are going to be complaining that obama is stopping them from doing anything useful

i just

i can't

i can't do it

To be fair, Democrats have spent a while going "Elections have consequences, the majority party should get to enact its agenda," and they're going to have to reverse themselves on that, now. (Or try and fudge the line with talk of gerrymandering and voter IDs and low turnout and we should really be listening to the non-voting, silent majority...)

2012 electorate will be having its say when Obama vetoes all of the things.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    McConnell made it clear he’ll only go so far to please the tea party activists who want big fights with Obama: “There will be no government shutdown, no default on the national debt.” He also noted that “when the American people chose divided government, I don’t think it means they don’t want us to do anything.”
    But he also declared that the Senate won’t be shy about sending Obama bills he’s sure to veto.
    “We’re going to pass legislation, some of which he may not like, but we’re going to function,” McConnell said.

Translation: Republicans are going to put forward legislation and scream obstruction when (let's be honest, if) Dems/Obama don't accept it.

At which point the narrative will shift from Democrats refusing to compromise with the minority party who should get the exact legislation they want to the Dems refusing to compromise with the majority who should get the exact legislation they want.

here's the thing

whenever i talk to my conservative friends about how it's nonsense that they get to complain about anything when their party has spent four years actively stopping the government from doing anything useful

they say they're happy the government isn't doing anything useful because government is bad

but now they are going to be complaining that obama is stopping them from doing anything useful

i just

i can't

i can't do it

To be fair, Democrats have spent a while going "Elections have consequences, the majority party should get to enact its agenda," and they're going to have to reverse themselves on that, now. (Or try and fudge the line with talk of gerrymandering and voter IDs and low turnout and we should really be listening to the non-voting, silent majority...)

fair point

but i don't really have a problem with Congress actually doing its job and then the President vetoing it

considering that's one of the few actual balancing powers the Executive actually has

which is different from the minority party in Congress stymying any attempt at productive legislation while the country burns

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

here's the thing

i just

i can't

i can't do it

The day the other party agrees to that I'm fine with the Democrats making reasonable concessions.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i just used the word "actual" way too many times

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

here's the thing

i just

i can't

i can't do it

The day the other party agrees to that I'm fine with the Democrats making reasonable concessions.

Not me.

The government working again would be a horrible message to send.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Chris Cristie and Reince Priebus hitting the same compromise notes. The message has gone out to the GOP leadership.
    On NBC’s “Today” show on Wednesday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who’s eyeing Obama’s job, said McConnell and House Speaker John Boehner should “sit down and decide what their priorities are and then sit down with the president. People want to get things done.”
    And Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said on MSNBC on Wednesday that his party should find “real, achievable goals that are simple, that we can define for the American people … work with the president, get those things done, repeat and repeat and repeat.”

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    With divided government it is important to compromise.

This means, occasionally, trying to craft your bill so it does not get vetoed.

Sending a bill up to the Prez to repeal the ACA as a symbolic thing is ok, whatever.

If they send 50 bills, we'll know what we're dealing with.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Yeah, but we know what compromise means to the Republican Party.

It means offer up literally everything we were asking for a year ago so we can complain how it doesn't go far enough.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Chris Cristie and Reince Priebus hitting the same compromise notes. The message has gone out to the GOP leadership.
    On NBC’s “Today” show on Wednesday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who’s eyeing Obama’s job, said McConnell and House Speaker John Boehner should “sit down and decide what their priorities are and then sit down with the president. People want to get things done.”
    And Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said on MSNBC on Wednesday that his party should find “real, achievable goals that are simple, that we can define for the American people … work with the president, get those things done, repeat and repeat and repeat.”

what message

"do some spin?"

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Looks like 2016 messaging.

Well at least the Republican leadership has appeared to learn from 2012.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »

Just out of curiosity; in what way do you think they've learned anything?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Doubt Cruz and his cohorts are on board with this message. So if McConnell is willing to pass things with the say 15 most conservative Dems he can go ahead.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

what message

"do some spin?"

I was listening in on McConnel's victory speech this morning (which was mostly mumbling and a few awkwardly delivered jokes..seriously who the fuck votes for this guy?) and he was saying the same thing. And he went on for a bit about it being his plan to fix the dysfunctional senate and make senators start working again, no more half work weeks and so on. Which I'm totally all for if he can actually do it. So yeah, at least in the establishment wing, there is a definite sense they all agreed to go with a soft message.

It's great comedy to watch them start talking about bipartisanship now though...it's too bad the democrats aren't going to give them the same medicine they gave the rest of us for 6 years.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    What are the odd the tea partiers continue to shit on their own party now that it controls both houses?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    What are the odd the tea partiers continue to shit on their own party now that it controls both houses?

Depends on what they bring up. If Boehner and McConnell come out of the gate with Tax Cuts and Obamacare repeals the Tea Party will go with it, but if they do anything that even resembles immigration reform I think things will get a little feisty.

Curious to see where it goes.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

here's the thing

i just

i can't

i can't do it

Unfriend button those hypocrites.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Depends on what they bring up. If Boehner and McConnell come out of the gate with Tax Cuts and Obamacare repeals the Tea Party will go with it, but if they do anything that even resembles immigration reform I think things will get a little feisty.

Curious to see where it goes.

So if they come out the gate doing things they know they can't clear through the execuitive they'll be safe from their own party....so that their party can continue to do nothing.

Fantastic.

:rotate:

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40007802/ns/politics-decision_2010/t/gop-leaders-top-goal-make-obama--term-president/

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I think pretty much the only way McConnell has a chance of reigning the Tea Party in is if he hires Francis Underwood to be House Whip.

Priest on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40007802/ns/politics-decision_2010/t/gop-leaders-top-goal-make-obama--term-president/

Well, McConnell will definitely make sure that this is his last term.

• Options

That's basically a continuation of what they were campaigning on. There was no 'Contract With America' or major issues pushes during the election to claim a mandate on. It was basically just a grab bag of ebola, ISIS, brown people crossing the border (even in State races that have an actual international border, which terrorists have crossed in the past), Obama sucks, and the economy sucks. The only thing they can make a play for on the news is trying to out 'reasonable guy' Obama so that when things go to shit he gets the blame.

• Options
    Priest wrote: »
    I think pretty much the only way McConnell has a chance of reigning the Tea Party in is if he hires Francis Underwood to be House Whip.

McConnell knows how to count and he knows how to run a Chamber. The problem remains that Boehner doesn't know how to do either of those things. Though I am still wondering if there will be another attempt at a palace coup against him in January.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, obviously the people not currently accountable for a part in the legislative process are gonna get on the 'compromise/get things done/etc' train

what precisely actually changed from two weeks ago is hard to say, other than that it'll be easier for congressional republicans to do nothing than it was previously. I mean, they just re-elected the guy who said that his first legislative priority was winning the next presidential election

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I would totally find it believable that they'd actually stop being useless shits and start debating things in good faith just because they could now take credit for it and say "See, it's because we have the majority." when there was nothing stopping them from doing the same thing for the past 4 years.

Which I mean, fine, whatever. If that's what it takes. But it's a shame that they just wasted 4 years because getting all the credit for doing their jobs is more important than actually just doing their job.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I would totally find it believable that they'd actually stop being useless shits and start debating things in good faith just because they could now take credit for it and say "See, it's because we have the majority." when there was nothing stopping them from doing the same thing for the past 4 years.

Which I mean, fine, whatever. If that's what it takes. But it's a shame that they just wasted 4 years because getting all the credit for doing their jobs is more important than actually just doing their job.

But that's not going to happen.

They'll just try to push bills they know will never clear Obama, and they can't override, and then in the 2016 election try cry that it's not their fault, and blame the democrats for obstruction.

It'll be harder to pin that complaint on Hillary, which is why we also will never hear the end of Benghazi for the next two years.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will suddenly be a push to eliminate the poison pill cuts that got enacted during the last debt dust up now?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If anyone starts to back track on Electikns Has Consequences fuck em

They're geese

They do. Republicans get to write and pass bills they like.

The president gets to veto bills he doesn't and sign ones he can get on board with.

This is how it's supposed to work.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

They're geese

The president gets to veto bills he doesn't and sign ones he can get on board with.

The problem I foresee is the tendency of people of all walks of life to unabashedly succumb to the fallacy of false equivalence.

• Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular
    If Reid becomes the minority leader, expect McConnell to take that as a "we won't compromise with you" from the Democrats and nuke most of the filibuster.

Because Reid really went too far with his stance against political minority rights while he helmed the Senate. And he's a terrible person, but that's just a side point.

3DS Friend Code: 1006 - 0121 - 6969
    PM me with yours if you add me
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

They're geese

The problem I foresee is the tendency of people of all walks of life to unabashedly succumb to the fallacy of false equivalence.

Because rolling back civil rights for some large portion of the citizenry is totes the same as (not) giving some people tax breaks. Really.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Well, as usual we can pretty much all agree that Harry Reid sucks.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If Reid becomes the minority leader, expect McConnell to take that as a "we won't compromise with you" from the Democrats and nuke most of the filibuster.

Because Reid really went too far with his stance against political minority rights while he helmed the Senate. And he's a terrible person, but that's just a side point.

What exactly did Reid do to kill minority rights in the Senate again?

He should have killed the filibuster years ago honestly and he didn't/ He waited 2 damn year to kill it for appointments when the GOP said over and over we'll never let you fill the federal courts.

Reid gave too much to a minority that wanted nothing but to grind the government to a halt.

Go ahead nuke the filibuster and pass all the garbage in the world through the Senate. that just gives Obama perfect political cover to veto all of it. Or your party could behave like people who actually want the country to function and strike some deals. Vetoing bipartisan bills will be much more politically costly for Obama and the Dems

• Options

I can hope, but McConnell isn't that foolhardy.

• Options

He should have killed the filibuster years ago honestly and he didn't/ He waited 2 damn year to kill it for appointments when the GOP said over and over we'll never let you fill the federal courts.

Reid gave too much to a minority that wanted nothing but to grind the government to a halt.

Go ahead nuke the filibuster and pass all the garbage in the world through the Senate. that just gives Obama perfect political cover to veto all of it. Or your party could behave like people who actually want the country to function and strike some deals. Vetoing bipartisan bills will be much more politically costly for Obama and the Dems

He put limitations on amendments. Though mostly in response to amendment proposals becoming endless parliamentary delay tactics in order to eat up the calendar.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

This is categorically ridiculous.

By that same metric if McConnell becomes majority leader it'll prove the republicans aren't serious either as he was far too belligerent about undermining congressional procedure and governance.

His screeds against te president were absolutely beyond the pale.

Or wait that's not how it works.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BigWillieStylesBigWillieStyles Expert flipper of tables Inside my mind...Registered User regular

Among other things, he nuked part of the filibuster and limited the ability for the minority to even offer amendments to bills being debated/considered.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    What Viskod said.

Should the repubs start being reasonable (proper compromising, no repeated Obamacare repeals etc.) the vast majority of Americans will see "Democrats in the senate = nothing getting done, democrats out of the senate= things get done" and suddenly the GOP has a advantage in 2016. So strategically its a win-win-win for the Repubs (Repubs looks good, they can take credit for the country getting going again, democrats looks bad).

Now I will not be surprised that this is all talk and its business as usual from one end of the GOP to the other, these are all words we have heard before. And I wouldn't be surprised if Cruz the Canadian decides to go on another crusade with the other "true believers".

• Options
    Huu wrote: »
    What Viskod said.

Should the repubs start being reasonable (proper compromising, no repeated Obamacare repeals etc.) the vast majority of Americans will see "Democrats in the senate = nothing getting done, democrats out of the senate= things get done" and suddenly the GOP has a advantage in 2016. So strategically its a win-win-win for the Repubs (Repubs looks good, they can take credit for the country getting going again, democrats looks bad).

Now I will not be surprised that this is all talk and its business as usual from one end of the GOP to the other, these are all words we have heard before. And I wouldn't be surprised if Cruz the Canadian decides to go on another crusade with the other "true believers".
    Cruz is a first-term Senator with little influence in the Senate. He has more clout in the House, honestly. And as long as the Majority Whip does his/her job, it won't matter.

Cruz has no real power in the Senate.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Among other things, he nuked part of the filibuster and limited the ability for the minority to even offer amendments to bills being debated/considered.

You can only amend bills into the ground and only prevent so many bills from even coming to the floor for debate (never mind a vote) before your opposition begins to doubt your sincerity in your 'participation' in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omM2s4wBPRQ

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    IskraIskra Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

So if the Democrats elect as minority leader someone who so grievously violated minority rights by eliminating the filibuster in some specific cases, the GOP will nuke the filibuster in its entirety, but that's totes not a violation of anything?

To be clear I think the filibuster is awful, regardless of who has the majority, but your train of thought here is laughably partisan.

Iskra on
This discussion has been closed.