As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2014: Until next season....

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Fireball also goes really well with Ciders. btw, did we ever find out if it really had antifreeze or whatever in it?

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    From Snopes
    TRUE: Some Scandinavian state agencies have recalled Fireball whisky until they can determine if it meets local regulations regarding propylene glycol content.

FALSE: Fireball whisky has been broadly recalled from all markets because it contains antifreeze.

So, yeah, propylene glycol happens to be an ingredient in antifreeze (so is water).

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    WillyDub wrote: »

...all that says is that they admit to using the compound in tiny amounts and that it's legal to do so in the US, but they accidentally sent some of the US stuff to the EU, where it's NOT legal.

So, "all good" is kind of misleading. You're still drinking Propylene Glycol, it's just that one Government's agency allows it and another does not. Up to you to decide if you're comfortable drinking it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

• Options
    Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    It....BEGINS!!!

Proxy the Elf on
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Geth has found a meat body. Run for your lives.

• Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Houn wrote: »

...all that says is that they admit to using the compound in tiny amounts and that it's legal to do so in the US, but they accidentally sent some of the US stuff to the EU, where it's NOT legal.

So, "all good" is kind of misleading. You're still drinking Propylene Glycol, it's just that one Government's agency allows it and another does not. Up to you to decide if you're comfortable drinking it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

I stand corrected..ish!!!

WillyDub on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So can I drink it or not?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Yes. Yes you can.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes. Yes you can.

Sorry, sorry. Should I drink it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    xfjsfhtf wrote: »
    Where has this year gone that it's G&T SS time already?
    81.gif
    Going to sign up once I get off work, this is awesome every year.

Sorry. Sign-ups are over and assignments have already been handed out.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    xfjsfhtf wrote: »
    Where has this year gone that it's G&T SS time already?
    81.gif
    Going to sign up once I get off work, this is awesome every year.

Also you JUST signed up. You'd have to wait until next year anyway.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    People have been accepted past the deadline in the past. If you really want in, PM @Hypatia and see if there's an option for you.
    Otherwise, stick around and enjoy the thread. We will bring you digital coca and marshmallows. <3

• Options
    Nah - @THEPAIN73 is right. Dude literally joined the forums today.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I was ninja'd while responding to your initial post. But yeah, I feel the 1-year minimum is pretty justifiable.

• Options
    Yeah, he or she seems to have made a few posts in SE++ and seems like a human, but let's stick to that year minimum. The spambot style name doesn't help.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    People have been accepted past the deadline in the past.

Just won't let me forget...

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, he or she seems to have made a few posts in SE++ and seems like a human, but let's stick to that year minimum. The spambot style name doesn't help.

A similar bot account was created a few weeks ago and posted in this thread about joining, and within minutes it was banned, deleted, and removed from the forums entirely. So I suspect this one will be as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    People have been accepted past the deadline in the past.

Just won't let me forget...

Were you one of them? I remember one year, there was an odd number of entrants, so I think The Spaniard was a late entry because it worked out that way.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I was last year, yeah. They were very kind to make space for me and a few others.

Hypatia is a saint for organizing the chaos.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    *Delivery person buzzes our apt*
    Spouse: "Oh! I wonder if that's my octopus pendants!"
    Me: !?
    *She returns with a box*
    Spouse: "Nope, it says it's for you."
    Me: "Weird, I'm not expecting anyth--"
    GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

Wow! Santa got me early this year!

As mentioned, it's a box. An Amazon box (and a slightly-creepy drawing done by a 4-year-old girl):
    20141105_1429051_zps2a6bea05.jpg

And inside, a wealth of treasures!
    20141105_1432001_zps26d66d0e.jpg

Aaah, so much Star Wars awesome! Exhibit A: The Star Wars Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide. I can learn how to count in frickin' Jawaese!
    45d39333-6531-4416-a096-0f34a13e8f0d_zps92d44399.jpg

Exhibit B: The complete set of Robot Chicken Star Wars DVDs. I'm gonna watch the absolute crap outta these.
    20141105_1438261_zps71b74905.jpg

And lastly: an ominous note:
    742c8c0b-af58-400d-94c5-5ac71bacb6a1_zps88237b10.jpg

This is an amazing haul. Thank you Santa! Or, as they say in Bocce, Zanki!
    I don't know anything about you (except your real name mwahaha), so I miiiight have to do some reverse-stalking in the future.

Speaking of stalking... Santee, I will begin the process of sussing out meaningful gifts very soon. Just as soon as I can stop coughing 'til I fall over and spill my tea. It's a full-on plague up in here.
    I swear, next year I'll get so many flu shots I'm gonna look like a porcupine from Silent Hill.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Holy Santa and his Reindeer, that is an awesome and fast gifting!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Woo Congrats!

I need to get to stalking soon. Been a busy start to the week unfortunately.

Great to see people already getting gifts.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Neat, my laziness in never changing my avatar from last year has paid off!

I'm finally current again!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I was in the grocery store and I just saw the first present for my santee.

Aw yeah! :D

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    Dear santa,
    I'm going to be out of town until Nov. 20th, I hope this doesn't hamper whatever your plans are.
    XOXOXO,
    Me

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Lost wrote: »
    Dear santa,
    I'm going to be out of town until Nov. 20th, I hope this doesn't hamper whatever your plans are.
    XOXOXO,
    Me

Because of your avatar I was like, "well yeah, you're getting married and then being Doctor Strange."
    Now I'm unreasonably sad none of you is Benedict Cucumbermuffin.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    That you know of.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hey gift people.

I'm not one of those itunes people so I'm wondering if you know:

Is it possible to buy an album as a gift, and extract some kind of gift code, then give that to my santee?

I know this is possible with like Steam.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    WillyDub on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a "heavy" Amazon package waiting at my house. I ordered one light thing from Amazon that isn't coming until mid-month, so either this is a large thoughtful gift from a friend, or my Santa didn't feel like wasting any time. Either way, I get home next Friday, and will find out then!

• Options
    I thought we were done Santa. Six books is a lot. I may have never been more wrong in my life. My wife IMed me at work today asking if I'd ordered something from amazon. I hadn't. After the kids went to bed and I did the dishes it was time to open a rather large box.

GiftGet2_zps093b52db.gif

DSCN3671_zps22846624.jpg
    There are seriously 9 packages here. 9. That is a big number!

"Friends with kids tell me this is fun for them, so I thought I take a chance that yours might enjoy it."
    DSCN3677_zpsee5fc212.jpg
    I think they will - they love family game time! :)

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
    DSCN3678_zps2ea19e1a.jpg
    Awesome - I love Vader and Son and Vader's Little Princess that I got last year!

"Natasha Romanoff: Did you do anything fun Saturday night? Steve Rogers: Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead, so, no, not really."
    "I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."
    "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."
    DSCN3680_zpse4ec4f7f.jpg
    And now we're set for movie nights for a while, too. Both family ones and grown-up ones. I loves me some Marvel movies, and it's a good thing I had kids because I love kid movies.

"Enjoy your gift! From: Santa"
    DSCN3683_zpse4e5a346.jpg
    No hint on this one, I wonder what it could be. It's Fables! I adore The Wolf Among Us but never read the comics, and now I can rectify that!

"Enjoy your gift! From: Santa"
    DSCN3684_zps0b2044e7.jpg
    Another without a hint, but it rattles a little as I open it up. It's Takenoko! I've played this a few times at my local gaming shop's game night and it's always fun. And the panda figurine is adorable. Thank you so much!

"I had to get up to 88 MPH to find these."
    DSCN3682_zps2133d9d5.jpg
    My first thought, of course, was Back to the Future, but it's a copy of Chrononauts! I can't wait to bust this one out next time I have friends over for board games. I need to get that organized, and between this and Takenoko we're going to have plenty of stuff new to the group to try out. :)

"...on the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked: a question that must never be answered: "Doctor Who?""
    DSCN3679_zps344d8ea4.jpg
    Have you ever realized that you always wanted a thing you just learned existed? Because that happened to me as I opened my very own sonic screwdriver that is also a universal remote control. 9 was my first doctor, but 11's energy and companions are my favorite. Ever since it aired 11's version of a Christmas Carol is my favorite, and this year I will nerd out and make sonic noises right along with the Doctor.

I seriously can't believe all of the wonderful presents, Santa. I only wish I know who you were so I could give you a proper thank-you. You have seriously made my day and my holiday season. Ever since I had a falling out with my family I've replaced exchanging gifts with them with participating in this Secret Santa. I only hope that my eventual presents are as good a fit for my Santee as yours are for me. I am absolutely floored at your generosity, and I hope your holidays are wonderful. You've certainly given that to me.

And now, a bonus picture of my corgi, Huxley, posing with everything but Zingo (I'd already put it on the shelf with the other board games in preparation to show the kids when I get home from work tomorrow and play when they all get over being sick).
    DSCN3685_zps8162ce16.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Dang! Gift Gets are starting early this year, I love it! What an adorable corgi, @jclast‌!

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Signed up in the Google docs for a Christmas avatar. Here's the full picture if you want it: http://i.imgur.com/ldygK5t.jpg

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Holy cow, that's an awesome haul. I feel like I have to step up my game now.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    That is the cutest dog. Well, 2nd after my two puppies who tie for first.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Lets see, google my name and 1 in top 10 is me. Telling about me. No I was not in the 1940 census. My facebook and twitter are only for my twitch streaming.

I was going to ask when to send, but ah, people are all ready sending? Seams to early for me though.

As for booze, I guess my home made infusion just isn't going to ship. To bad. . . I do love my crancin (Cranberry Cinnamon Vodka)

Is this Crancin recipe just simply equal parts Cranberry Vodka to Cinnamon Vodka? Sounds festive, whatever it may be.

I love relaxing to a Hot Apple Pie bomb. Drop a shot of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey into a glass of your favorite hard Apple Cider / Apple flavored malt beverage.

Crancin is so much more.
    Elin wrote: »
    Since he said infusion I'd assume it's: 1 bottle of plain vodka, Cinnamon sticks, craisins or fresh cranberries. Combine the 3 things in a jar and stick in a dark place for a while. Strain out the solids. Drink.

Close:

Take one gallon of vodka (I use cheap stuff, as I'm adding flavor, 100proof), 2 bags of cranberries (hand washed one by one, and "popped"), 1 bag of red hots, and 1 lemon concentrate "lemon" (The small ones shaped like a lemon in produce section).

Put all in a large container (I use 2.5 gallon "water cooler" container with lid.

Let sit for a month. Strain liquid into 5ths using cheese cloth to keep most of cranberry particles out. Make sure to place bottles where you can siphon from them later. Cranberrys can be used to make into cranberry sauce, or put into a blender to make adult smoothies. Discard if you don't want to use them. The candy will melt.

Let sit for at least a week, all the smallest particles will settle to bottom. Use plastic tubing to siphon from one 5th to a fresh clean one, stopping just above the silt level in the bottle. This is for presentation, while the silt is drinkable, it doesn't look good in the final product. I use it for drinks at home, why waste it after all.

Make simple syrup to add to the final bottle. I have not found the perfect formula for this step yet, but I think I did 1 cup simple syrup in 5th. Than 1 part vodka, 2 parts water to fill it up to the top. Serve at your holiday party with club soda.

The other two official drink iffusions I make are Strawjito and Bluejito. I have tried Pineapple, Coconut, lemon, grape rum. I was aiming for sex on the beach in a bottle, didn't turn out bad, but wasn't right. I have tried chocolate and coffee vodka; not a hit.

So I guess if whoever got me, I like making infusions. Not sure what I need, I have a large container to let it sit in. I have 5ths to bottle. I even have one ounce little vials to give out as presents (don't return the bottle, you don't get any next year.)

photos of infusions (click image for full size):
    bluejito:
    Bluejito%20thumb.jpg?psid=1

strawjito:
    Strawjito%20thumb.jpg?psid=1

crancin in the making:
    Jug%20for%20infusion%20thumb.jpg?psid=1

crancin:
    Bottled%20Crancin%20thumb.jpg?psid=1

jclast wrote: »
    "...on the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked: a question that must never be answered: "Doctor Who?""
    DSCN3679_zps344d8ea4.jpg
    Have you ever realized that you always wanted a thing you just learned existed? Because that happened to me as I opened my very own sonic screwdriver that is also a universal remote control. 9 was my first doctor, but 11's energy and companions are my favorite. Ever since it aired 11's version of a Christmas Carol is my favorite, and this year I will nerd out and make sonic noises right along with the Doctor.
    That is just awesome! I love Dr. Who to, and had no idea that was a thing. And best Dr? Fourth Dr., duh! I do have to admit, I have missed the latest Dr.s as I don't have cable. I do have a nice collection of VHS of old ones though.
    Dr%20Who%20Thumb.jpg?psid=1

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That is a fantastic haul, mate! I am loving this years secret santa already!

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Wow, this is awesome.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Hey Santee! I didn't plan on sending any gifts before December but the early gift gets has me in the mood to send one of your surprises early.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640