Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bitcoiners can't keep us down! 1440p or bust!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    By dumb he means awesome.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I was using http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/monitors/asus/ and even when it said it was available I didn't see any. Not sure how else people are getting these so fast.
    I just looked there and it said Newegg had them in stock. Newegg had them in stock. ORDERED. THANK YOU!

I just missed it again!

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So my mom asked me to troubleshoot her computer. She said that when she pressed the power button, it would boot up for about a second and die before even POSTing. She said it might be the power supply. Well I opened it up to take a look. Spoilered because its a really big picture for some reason. I took it in portrait mode on my phone.
    sn079K1.jpg
    It looks like her PSU is growing hair.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    For $150 I'd go with a R7 265 personally, though of course that's not Nvidia.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I got an email from Newegg yesterday that I ignored. Today I see it was about the ROG Swift being back in stock. Now it's out of stock again. Next time I won't be ignoring that email... these things go really fast :(

Don't worry...I got that e-mail and immediately checked it: they sold out in under 30 seconds.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to save up and get the 760 if it is that much of an upgrade.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A 760 will be a noticeable step up from a 460, yeah. Definitely worth the extra $50.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    CPU built

Fucking heatsink fan cut my fucking hand when it slipped

My blood shall fuel this computer

lmao I can't hear anything anymore this is fantastic

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    You're not alone. Although I never build an entire computer from scratch, I turned several of my PCs into gateways to the hell realm by bleeding all over their internal parts after cutting myself on sharp metal bits.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    CPU built

Fucking heatsink fan cut my fucking hand when it slipped

My blood shall fuel this computer

lmao I can't hear anything anymore this is fantastic

How did cutting your hand affect your hearing?

• Options
    toloveistorebel toloveistorebel Impressive. Most impressive. Central FLRegistered User regular
    I assume (hope?) that he's talking about the silent operation of his R4...

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is the r4 better than the nzxt as far as noise reduction?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Is the r4 better than the nzxt as far as noise reduction?

I don't think it is. I love my h440, so fuckin' silent.

• Options
    Ok, cool - I'm not too particular about the sound and the H440 is far better looking. I guess I was just looking for confirmation bias :)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    So my mom asked me to troubleshoot her computer. She said that when she pressed the power button, it would boot up for about a second and die before even POSTing. She said it might be the power supply. Well I opened it up to take a look. Spoilered because its a really big picture for some reason. I took it in portrait mode on my phone.
    sn079K1.jpg

Please tell me it worked after you blew out the dust and hair. And named the sentient lifeform that resulted from said removal.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I moved from a 2X GTX 460 SLI setup to a single 760 back when the card first came out and it was a huge upgrade. Moving from a single 460 to a single 760 should be gigantic.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    MSI 970's are in stock at newegg. Just ordered one, bringing back my Gigabyte. Constant crashing, it can't even OC to +130 clock without becoming unstable. Noisy too.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Ok, cool - I'm not too particular about the sound and the H440 is far better looking. I guess I was just looking for confirmation bias :)

I disagree.. The r4 with the titanium front is still my favorite looking case of all time. When I was a kid I thought Alienware was super cool looking, but as an adult who loves minimalist designs now, nothing beats it.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

I disagree.. The r4 with the titanium front is still my favorite looking case of all time. When I was a kid I thought Alienware was super cool looking, but as an adult who loves minimalist designs now, nothing beats it.

This, but I really do like the new Area 51 triangular design (purely from an aesthetic standpoint). It will be cool to see how they work in practice, maybe worth snagging one used to mod with...

I have an old HP BlackBird 002 case I want to do something with, but I'm really not sure what... Maybe the next build will be inside it.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Aquarium?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Aquarium?
    Lmao, not what I had in mind. Was think of doing a bit of a Franken-Build inside it... Have cooling pipes looping in and out of it, but it's a pretty cool / iconic case. Not sure if butchering it is really the best plan.

What are people's feelings on modifying a unique case for a one-off build. Does the consensus favor preservation, or "just make it cool"?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    sn079K1.jpg

Please tell me it worked after you blew out the dust and hair. And named the sentient lifeform that resulted from said removal.

No It didn't work. I replaced the power supply it will power on now, but now it won't post and I can't access the bios. It reaches the msi splashscreen where it says "Press del for bios". Pressing del on the keyboard does nothing. If I press delete before the splash screen shows up, I get past the splashscreen and see this black screen with white text where it shows the bios version and plugged in inputs. So either the motherboard or cpu are shot. Or I might need to reflash the bios. IDK.

My mom suggested skipping all that since the computer is pretty old by today's standards (i.e she has 2 ide hard drives and an ide dvd drive. I think I built this one for her in 2007) and buying a new prebuilt one since you can get whole towers for less than $300, but the ones I looked at don't have extra hard drive bays to install her old hard drives into. We have a working hard drive with an O.S on it. I'm tempted to just get parts and build another one. Is windows going to wig out and not work because it detects a new motherboard? I remember running into an issue like that years ago, but I'm not sure if it's a problem nowadays.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So finally trying to build my PC after a few bumps on the road. Everything in place, hook up to the power, press the switch and..... Nothing.

My PSU makes a noise like it is getting some power (reminds me of the noise degaussing old monitors made) but no fans start anywhere. I've removed all extra stuff (e.g. Graphics card) so it's nothing but the mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU but no dice.

First thought was the PSU but I tried the paper clip trick and starts up fine, fans spinning. So it must be the mobo? The one thing I'm wary of is the power connectors. Both have 4 more pins on the mobo side compared to the PSU. Reading the manual it seems there are some that only apply to different connectors i.e. 2x4pin. What's weird is that the manual states the leftmost pins are only used by the 2x4 connector, but those leftmost pins are the only ones that I can connect the 2x2 to, due to the plastic cap configuration.

Any suggestions for things I can try?

Edit: SOLVED IT!!!! Turns out there was another connector. it's booting up, I have a windows setup screen now. Whoop whoop.

xiears on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    sn079K1.jpg

No It didn't work. I replaced the power supply it will power on now, but now it won't post and I can't access the bios. It reaches the msi splashscreen where it says "Press del for bios". Pressing del on the keyboard does nothing. If I press delete before the splash screen shows up, I get past the splashscreen and see this black screen with white text where it shows the bios version and plugged in inputs. So either the motherboard or cpu are shot. Or I might need to reflash the bios. IDK.

My mom suggested skipping all that since the computer is pretty old by today's standards (i.e she has 2 ide hard drives and an ide dvd drive. I think I built this one for her in 2007) and buying a new prebuilt one since you can get whole towers for less than $300, but the ones I looked at don't have extra hard drive bays to install her old hard drives into. We have a working hard drive with an O.S on it. I'm tempted to just get parts and build another one. Is windows going to wig out and not work because it detects a new motherboard? I remember running into an issue like that years ago, but I'm not sure if it's a problem nowadays.

I wouldn't recommend using an old OS install with all new parts. Pretty low chances of success and even if it does work it will work far more poorly than a fresh install. If you're worried about paying for a new OS, so long as the old OS was a retail version rather than OEM (and sometimes even if it was OEM), there are ways to find your product key that you can use with a fresh install.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    What are people's feelings on modifying a unique case for a one-off build. Does the consensus favor preservation, or "just make it cool"?
    My brother has chromed a case, and replaced acrylic window panels in another case with etched glass, so I say go for it, mod it up.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    So finally trying to build my PC after a few bumps on the road. Everything in place, hook up to the power, press the switch and..... Nothing.

My PSU makes a noise like it is getting some power (reminds me of the noise degaussing old monitors made) but no fans start anywhere. I've removed all extra stuff (e.g. Graphics card) so it's nothing but the mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU but no dice.

First thought was the PSU but I tried the paper clip trick and starts up fine, fans spinning. So it must be the mobo? The one thing I'm wary of is the power connectors. Both have 4 more pins on the mobo side compared to the PSU. Reading the manual it seems there are some that only apply to different connectors i.e. 2x4pin. What's weird is that the manual states the leftmost pins are only used by the 2x4 connector, but those leftmost pins are the only ones that I can connect the 2x2 to, due to the plastic cap configuration.

Any suggestions for things I can try?

Edit: SOLVED IT!!!! Turns out there was another connector. it's booting up, I have a windows setup screen now. Whoop whoop.

Ah, the auxiliary CPU power connector. A common foe. I believe an older iteration of this thread even made reference to it in the title...

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Aquarium?
    Lmao, not what I had in mind. Was think of doing a bit of a Franken-Build inside it... Have cooling pipes looping in and out of it, but it's a pretty cool / iconic case. Not sure if butchering it is really the best plan.

I got my hands on one of these:

aENZbnY.jpg

a while ago, and I'm planning on doing some work on it in the future.

This case is pretty old, and pretty iconic, so my plan is to modify the case to make it usable with modern hardware, but still maintain as much of the original external look and design as possible. In order for this case to house a semi-modern system (and its associated amounts of heat) I'll need something much better than the paltry five 80mm fan mounts, so the plan is to widen one of the front 80mm fan mounts (behind the blue plastic grating) to 120mm or 140mm for intake, then cut mounting points for two to three 140mm mounts on the bottom of the case for intake, as well as two to three 140mm mounts at the top of the case for exhaust (depending on how many I can fit with regards to the feet on the bottom and the PSU on the top). I would also remove the 80mm fans from the back and cover those vents (they are directly above the mobo, so they can't be enlarged). I would also have to cut out space on the mobo tray for a backplate, and either have a flat HS/F or one that can be oriented vertically so it can go with the airflow pattern I am trying to establish.

The fans at the top of the case would ideally look something like this:
    cXcI6hZ.jpg

Hopefully having six or seven 140mm fans running would move enough air (mainly bottom to top) to keep a low power system cooled (and as a bonus would be significantly quieter), but if it didn't than the nuclear option is to enlarge the side 80mm cutout significantly, find some mesh that looks good, and slap a 230mm BitFenix Spectre Pro in there. Ideally I could just remove the 80mm fan and cover that existing mesh from the inside (to keep the goofy metal alien head cover in place), but I figure if I have to remove it I might as well go big.

After that would come the repaint, but I'm still not sure what color. Solid blue (like in the first image) might be nice, or maybe a bright gloss white (which I think might look nice with just a hint of blue LED lighting coming from beneath the front grating), but I'm not sure which color would look the best.

It won't be a heavy duty machine (just game serving and dedicated streaming passthrough from another desktop), so when I get around to buying some guts they can be low power/low heat, which is nice because when I had an old C2Q in there the 80mm fans basically made it sound like a jet engine and it was idling in the low 50s.

Honestly in terms of modifying a case for a one off build, between preservation and making it cool I'd go with whichever you personally thought looked better. If you have the ability to do the modding yourself and not make it look awful than go for it, but if you don't, or don't want to, than there is no shame in keeping things the same. I've never done any sort of metal cutting, so I'm either going to do the measurements myself and have someone in a shop cut the metal, or borrow the tools and practice on a few throwaway cases before I start on this one.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Any deals on a GTX 770?

Wanna get a second one in preparation for GTA5 come January.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Any deals on a GTX 770?

Wanna get a second one in preparation for GTA5 come January.

I haven't followed prices on 770's but $260 (after rebate) seems pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770&cm_re=gtx_770-_-14-121-770-_-Product

MSI flavor for ten bucks more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127741&cm_re=gtx_770-_-14-127-741-_-Product

A lot of them, especially the 4GB models, seem to still be in the $350 range, which is crazy to me since you can get a 970 for that.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You would think that gpus would drop in price when the next series comes out, but they don't really until go down much until they are super old and the stores need to clear inventory space and delist them.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    And then they go right back up because they are rare and people want to SLI, triSLI, quadSLI!

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So I badly need a new pc, and I'm trying to build my own again. A big part of the reason for the purchase is just the need for a desktop pc in general since my ipad and shitty netbook don't cut it, but I figure 90% of my actual time spent on it will be gaming as a sideproduct of finally having a newer computer.

Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns about going the route of the Lifehacker $600 budget build?

I certainly read plenty of arguments to go with an intel i3 instead, but the difference seems neglible enough, especially if more and more games will start using multi-threading. Moreover, it probably won't make a huge difference and may just cost more money, since other than Elite:Dangerous, there's not really any particularly new games that I'd want to play on it.

What I'm struggling with most is whether to keep the cheaper hard-drive, or replace it with an SSD. I'd probably be willing to drop an extra $40 to get a 256 gb SSD, but I have no concept for how much storage is required these days for an OS, or games in general. I likely wouldn't keep any media on my computer other than ~15 gigs of music and a small selection of pictures.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    256gb ssd is more then enough for os + a few games. It's what I use for a primary drive myself.

Win7 takes about 40gb and AAA games run about 5-25gb each, so your good for keeping 10ish installed at a time before you need to delete things.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking of building the Digital foundry PC. except replacing the 760 graphics card with the 750TI and the 500gb harddrive with a 1TB one (plan on doing some video stuff in the future so the extra space would be good).

I suppose my question is, will the 750TI fit in with the rest of the stuff? Is there a better card for the same money (I like the energy-saving stuff it does is the reason i want it more, plus it's £50 less)?
    And finally, how do i put windows ON TO the thing without a disc drive? I currently only have a chrome book.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    getting my 290 at $200 seems like less of a deal now

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm still in the process of building my PC only really need a motherboard and graphics card now. Do computer parts tend to take part in the black friday/cyber Monday sales madness? Specifically I would like to get the asus GTX 970 somewhere below it's $400 CDN price it seems to have settled at. I depressing look at exchange rates shows that is actually more reasonable then I thought compared to the US prices but I wouldn't mind getting it cheaper.

Also, I don't think I would ever go the SLI route but... I want the option to be there. I've already got a processor that I can't overclock so I'm wondering if there is any compelling reason to get a Z97 board over a H97.

Oh and I guess I'm missing a power supply to. Anyone have any favorites in the 500W range? I guess that would limit my future SLI options as well but I think it would be unreasonable to go any higher with my current build.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Quical wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of building the Digital foundry PC. except replacing the 760 graphics card with the 750TI and the 500gb harddrive with a 1TB one (plan on doing some video stuff in the future so the extra space would be good).

I suppose my question is, will the 750TI fit in with the rest of the stuff? Is there a better card for the same money (I like the energy-saving stuff it does is the reason i want it more, plus it's £50 less)?
    And finally, how do i put windows ON TO the thing without a disc drive? I currently only have a chrome book.

The 760 is the best performer, but if you want $50 less I'd get an R7 265 probably. Unless you want the power saving over performance than yeah, the 750ti.

If you can get the windows iso onto a thumb drive somehow you can install it off that. Otherwise I'd get a optical drive, even just an usb external one.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dritz wrote: »
    Oh and I guess I'm missing a power supply to. Anyone have any favorites in the 500W range? I guess that would limit my future SLI options as well but I think it would be unreasonable to go any higher with my current build.

I've been linking Newegg sales all week. Lean towards Corsair. 500W is enough, even for SLI; if you are smart enough to get a PSU with a lot of head room on the 12V supply.