As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERSTELLAR] There are spoilers here.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Wouldn't you be ripped apart at an atomic level by the gravity well of the black hole?

Not to mention, how the hell do transmissions work inside the Tesseract?

And for that matter, no pun intended, how does visible light work inside of the Tesseract? I mean, wouldn't all the light be exiting in multiple dimensions as well, making everything just kind of a blur?

yes you would

however this black hole was apparently just a tool used by aliens/future humans/god/whatever to interact with our timeline (which they could only vaguely understand), which is the entire reason it was a little girl's bedroom times infinity (presumably going all the way back to the beginning of the universe and all the way to the end of the universe, in either direction) and not the death of our hero stretched over eons as time slowly ground to a halt as he approached it

and it is really kind of weird and doesn't fit with the first half of the movie, but still I liked it a lot more than I thought I would

override367 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think Matt Damon was a good casting choice, because we're used to him being a good guy. He's one of those actors you have some implied trust in, so when he says something without evidence to back it up ("This bit of the planet is uninhabitable, but there's a nice bit further down, honest!"), we're inclined to believe him.
    It makes the sudden but inevitable betrayal a little more surprising too, but that was kind of ruined by me assuming the cliché was coming the whole time.

Damon was a good choice because he was literally the last person I expected to see climb out of the cryo pod.
    It really helped that I went in to the movie blind.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think Matt Damon's entire character arc could have been replaced with more space exploration to the movie's benefit

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I think Matt Damon's entire character arc could have been replaced with more space exploration to the movie's benefit

in the original screen play, they didn't find a person and instead drilled down on the ice planet to find an inhabitable ecosystem with an abandoned chinese settlement because the chinese had explored first but their country collapsed. instead of matt damon, there were chinese death robots who were programmed to protect the secret of the settlement and 'fractal life' which was some sort of recombining animal.

the supposed reason they replaced it with matt damon was that recombining fractal aliens would have required a ton of CGI which would have made the movie seem possibly less real.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well shit, now I want to see that movie.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

in the original screen play, they didn't find a person and instead drilled down on the ice planet to find an inhabitable ecosystem with an abandoned chinese settlement because the chinese had explored first but their country collapsed. instead of matt damon, there were chinese death robots who were programmed to protect the secret of the settlement and 'fractal life' which was some sort of recombining animal.

the supposed reason they replaced it with matt damon was that recombining fractal aliens would have required a ton of CGI which would have made the movie seem possibly less real.

Since the film was made in cooperation with NASA (and the associated promotion of the organization in it), the producers and writers weren't really inclined to include other space agencies in the final product--ESA, Roskosmos, the CNSA, etc.--in the plot, even though, in all likelihood, they'll all play a part in future space exploration equal to or even greater than that of NASA. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with a French film about space travel preventing human extinction that doesn't mention NASA or a Russian film about the same subject that focuses exclusively Roskosmos. When you're sending astronauts through a wormhole to visit a planet that's being actively warped by a black hole, the idea that the ESA or Roskosmos collapsed in the future is well within reasonable suspension of disbelief. Assuming I live another 50 years, I could see NASA be disbanded in my lifetime (this was even a sort of plot point of the film too).

By removing the CNSA drill team/probes/whatever, it did save the problem of having to do the additional research, create additional distinct spacecraft and technology, robots, etc. Also, maybe "killer Chinese robots" sounded silly to someone.

Hard to say if that would have been better or worse than Matt Damon with scary music.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    It was a little weird that there weren't any Asian people in the future

What happened to them all!?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I do think that it would have been neat to have had a planet that was indeed habitable, but was "taken' by some ecosystem that we couldn't interact with effectively. Something to drive home the fact that we had a golden opportunity on Earth that we chose to squander.

The Damon-world seemed to serve the same essential purpose as Water-world, eating up time and resources on a barren rock.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Inconsequential!

Seriously, though, it's an area for a lot of potential "fridge" nightmare logic, looking at the historical models of the Bengal famines, the Great Leap Forward, etc.. Though you could also argue the reverse, and that other countries are better prepared than the United States to deal with a catastrophic crop failure cycle, depending on how you look at it.

I just assumed really, when 9/10 or however many people on Earth died, it really cut down on the amount of exposure to other cultures for the average person. If Cooper's hometown 100 years earlier only had one or two Asian families living in it, which is certainly possible in smaller places, it's easy to say that his kids went their whole lives without seeing a single Asian person who wasn't in a photograph or an illustration. And the CNSA, ESA, Roskosmos, etc., just stopped existing because money had to go to cars powered by potatoes or new greenhouses or revised textbooks or something.

Makes me wonder--if Coop's kids were actively told there was no successful Moon landing, would they know the name of the first human in space (Y. Gagarin)? Given how many people right now know that, probably no.

I don't really slam the World of Noon book series for never explaining what happened to NASA and American space exploration either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

That doesn't make any sense, all life is fractal. Or did he find an infinite cauliflower or something?

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular

The only part of the Earth we see in the movie is Colorado (and possibly Kansas; it's hard to tell where Cooper's farm is relative to Cheyenne Mountain). Presumably, life in Asian countries is much like it is here (i.e. dying) and they don't have a functioning space program--or if they do, it's secret.

It is sort of weird that they talk about saving everyone on Earth, but then in the end there's just the single O'Neill cylinder. I guess there's no reason there couldn't be others off-screen.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

The only part of the Earth we see in the movie is Colorado (and possibly Kansas; it's hard to tell where Cooper's farm is relative to Cheyenne Mountain). Presumably, life in Asian countries is much like it is here (i.e. dying) and they don't have a functioning space program--or if they do, it's secret.

It is sort of weird that they talk about saving everyone on Earth, but then in the end there's just the single O'Neill cylinder. I guess there's no reason there couldn't be others off-screen.

We know that Murphy transferred from another station so we know there is at least one other.

I have read up a bit on cosmology and black holes are exactly that: A hole that once you fall into you are essentially taken out of the universe. Something I was reading online speculated that the only reason the tesseract was constructed in gargantua is so that whatever cooper did in there could only be done in a black hole for that reason. That to change the past without causing a paradox you would have to do it from a place outside the normal rules of the universe.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I think Matt Damon was a good casting choice, because we're used to him being a good guy. He's one of those actors you have some implied trust in, so when he says something without evidence to back it up ("This bit of the planet is uninhabitable, but there's a nice bit further down, honest!"), we're inclined to believe him.
    It makes the sudden but inevitable betrayal a little more surprising too, but that was kind of ruined by me assuming the cliché was coming the whole time.

Damon was a good choice because he was literally the last person I expected to see climb out of the cryo pod.
    It really helped that I went in to the movie blind.

I fully expected a well-known actor to crawl out of the pod, I just didn't know who it was going to be.

It was a nice moment of meta-excitement.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Black holes are the new A Wizard Did It.

That's the whole appeal, really. Our knowledge of what goes on inside is virtually nil, and as far as we know, it's literally impossible to ever find out. And in the center, our scientiific models stop working.

While it's possible that there is actually something going on inside that can plausibly be thought of as a "singularity" with "infinite density", it basically just means that our mathematical description shits the bed, just like Newtonian physics do when you approach the speed of light.

The upshot of all this us that black holes are a great narrative device, because all we know about their interiors are that they fuck our models right in the ass.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    We never see exactly what craft Mann used to get to his planet in the first place (presumably it was the same thing they found him sleeping in), but I assume it was a one-way thing that couldn't take off again, kinda like the Apollo modules. Just designed to get you on the surface, and keep you alive until/if another ship comes to get you.

Minor tangent: the top half of the Apollo lunar module left the surface of the moon after each mission. It generated enough thrust to rendezvous with the command module in lunar orbit. It just couldn't leave lunar orbit, and was jettisonned after rendezvous for the return to Earth.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    We never see exactly what craft Mann used to get to his planet in the first place (presumably it was the same thing they found him sleeping in), but I assume it was a one-way thing that couldn't take off again, kinda like the Apollo modules. Just designed to get you on the surface, and keep you alive until/if another ship comes to get you.

Minor tangent: the Apollo lunar module left the surface of the moon after each mission. It generated enough thrust to rendezvous with the command module in lunar orbit. It just couldn't leave lunar orbit.

I was thinking of the bit that went back to Earth, the command module. Either way, I don't think the Lazarus people were given anything beyond what they needed to get to their planets.

There's a mini-comic about Mann on wired.com: wired.com/2014/11/absolute-zero/
    Nothing groundbreaking, but it's there.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

They said Murphy was on another cylinder.

What big lake is in Colorado/Kansas? Taking about that scene with drone at start. Our is that supposed to be the ocean + global warming?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

They said Murphy was on another cylinder.

What big lake is in Colorado/Kansas? Taking about that scene with drone at start. Our is that supposed to be the ocean + global warming?

They called it a reservoir. So it might not supposed to be an existing body of water.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There's plenty of lakes/reservoirs in Colorado (though technically shot in Alberta). There wasn't anything to suggest that reservoir was particularly big that I saw.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Yeah, there are plenty of bodies of water about that size (most of them artificial) even today, and who knows how many others get built in the future by desperate farmers.

I'm pretty sure nobody's going to move the Cheyenne Mountain facility, though, so the farm has to be within a day's drive of Colorado Springs.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just got back from my first viewing, so I haven't read the entire thread yet. I just wanted to say, that while I really loved most of the movie, the combination of Matthew Mumbles, a roaring set of spaceship thrusters, and somebody planting his ass on an organ during every goddamn important bit of dialogue was very, very annoying.

That aside, once the problem was solved, I found myself wanting more. Like, a lot more. Firstly, I just need to see Brand's reaction to all the reveals. I just need it in my bones. Secondly, once that is done, I feel character growth can be thrown out the window, and we can have another 8 hour sequel about them exploring new planets and writing a catalog. I don't want to get emotionally attached to anyone in this dream sequel, I just want to explore and watch humans adapt to new environments on a huge scale.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I don't want to get emotionally attached to anyone in this dream sequel, I just want to explore and watch humans adapt to new environments on a huge scale.

That's because TARS and CHASE aren't anyones, right?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Inconsequential!

Seriously, though, it's an area for a lot of potential "fridge" nightmare logic, looking at the historical models of the Bengal famines, the Great Leap Forward, etc.. Though you could also argue the reverse, and that other countries are better prepared than the United States to deal with a catastrophic crop failure cycle, depending on how you look at it.

I just assumed really, when 9/10 or however many people on Earth died, it really cut down on the amount of exposure to other cultures for the average person. If Cooper's hometown 100 years earlier only had one or two Asian families living in it, which is certainly possible in smaller places, it's easy to say that his kids went their whole lives without seeing a single Asian person who wasn't in a photograph or an illustration. And the CNSA, ESA, Roskosmos, etc., just stopped existing because money had to go to cars powered by potatoes or new greenhouses or revised textbooks or something.

Makes me wonder--if Coop's kids were actively told there was no successful Moon landing, would they know the name of the first human in space (Y. Gagarin)? Given how many people right now know that, probably no.

I don't really slam the World of Noon book series for never explaining what happened to NASA and American space exploration either.

I saw this with my mom and she said that while she enjoyed the movie she thought what was left of NASA would have been an international effort, with every great mind pulled together to try and save humanity.

I ultimately don't really care that much but I would have loved to have a hint about what was going on in the rest of the world.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Far as I remember, the Endurance had four ships attached; two rangers and two landers.
    While they were setting up their plan B site on the planet, they brought one of the landers down.
    Mann stole one ranger and got it blown up, while one ranger and lander were still attached to the Endurance at the time.
    They use up the last ranger and one of the landers in the black hole slingshot, leaving Brand with one lander.

(Did anyone ever give Mann's first name? Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to assume it was Hugh.)

Given the Nolan's subtlety as screen writers, I'd say if you weren't right, his first name would be Doctor.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Inconsequential!

I saw this with my mom and she said that while she enjoyed the movie she thought what was left of NASA would have been an international effort, with every great mind pulled together to try and save humanity.

I ultimately don't really care that much but I would have loved to have a hint about what was going on in the rest of the world.

Well we know India is looking for food and water to steal.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The dialogue then implied the drone had been abandoned and was flying aimlessly.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, they said it was just flying on automatic, and "their mission control went down, same as ours."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The soundtrack is so good you guys.

Fav tracks:

Cornfield Chase
    Dust
    Mountains
    Coward

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Basically it's post apocalypse, everyone is fucked and spending all their available resources on farming, then the apocalypse had an apocalypse.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Can someone with a horticulture background explain to me how the blight made any sense?

They were all, "First it was wheat, and then okra, and now corn . . . . we're done for."

I mean, with 90% of the human population dead now, we would have a potable grain supply basically indefinitely as long as the means to harvest them and preserve them still existed. While wheat and corn are very important, they aren't the only cereal grain that exists in ample supply, and legumes as infinitely more able to be stored for long periods. And who the fuck cares about okra?

The movie would just bust out with this conceits like they made sense, but they don't at all. They don't have MRI machines anymore, but they have automatically-piloted grain harvesters and everyone drives a car? How does that make sense? "The world needs farmers, not doctors or engineers." What? With the production efficiency they've created with automation combined with the drastic decrease in demand and increase in arable farmland, they need fewer farmers than ever in human history.

This movie hurt my think-maker.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    At least they left corn for last to truly show they were living in a nightmare hellscape.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Can someone with a horticulture background explain to me how the blight made any sense?

They were all, "First it was wheat, and then okra, and now corn . . . . we're done for."

I mean, with 90% of the human population dead now, we would have a potable grain supply basically indefinitely as long as the means to harvest them and preserve them still existed. While wheat and corn are very important, they aren't the only cereal grain that exists in ample supply, and legumes as infinitely more able to be stored for long periods. And who the fuck cares about okra?

The movie would just bust out with this conceits like they made sense, but they don't at all. They don't have MRI machines anymore, but they have automatically-piloted grain harvesters and everyone drives a car? How does that make sense? "The world needs farmers, not doctors or engineers." What? With the production efficiency they've created with automation combined with the drastic decrease in demand and increase in arable farmland, they need fewer farmers than ever in human history.

The movie heavily implied that the automated combines were something that Cooper built specifically with his engineering knowledge and weren't "standard issue"

So most people would still be driving them manually.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

I was assuming it was a bacterium/fungus that was eating all the grains - the grains are all the same plant family after all (Poaceae) and ain't as hardy as wild grasses. Some idiot cooking up a bioweapon that hits a biochemical vulnerability on all grasses doesn't seem to need much suspension of disbelief when thar be wormholes yonder.

Dunno why that'd mean we couldn't eat beans or something though if 90% of the population is gone.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Only Cooper had the automatic grain combines. Because he was an engineer and he converted various devices for that task. Cars are much much simpler machines than MRIs.

I think their point with the blight was that it was killing all crops. It would just jump from one to the next to the next until nothing grew.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    With the production efficiency they've created with automation combined with the drastic decrease in demand and increase in arable farmland, they need fewer farmers than ever in human history.

I got the impression that, due to the deteriorated environment, that farming yields were extremely low, that they had the expectation of losing a great deal of their crop every year and that losing everything was a likely outcome. Tons of farms are required because a large percentage of effort that goes into farming yields nothing.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

Only Cooper had the automatic grain combines. Because he was an engineer and he converted various devices for that task. Cars are much much simpler machines than MRIs.

I think their point with the blight was that it was killing all crops. It would just jump from one to the next to the next until nothing grew.

Right. Only Cooper.

No one else could come up with that solution in world where 80% of the population now works on a farm.

No sir.

No way.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Dis' wrote: »
    Dunno why that'd mean we couldn't eat beans or something though if 90% of the population is gone.

Or potatoes. Or seaweed. Or fish. Or anything else not utterly dependent on grain for subsistence.

It just took a lot of mental gymnastics to make that work. Grampa Lithgow is all, "Murph's generation will be the last to survive on Earth!," meanwhile I'm looking at an endless ocean of storable grain on her family farm to feed a handful of people.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't understand what your complaint is.
    Are you under some sort of impression that automated tractors would solve all their problems?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They also imply the blight is fucking things up so much the air will be unbreathable, which in turn implies it kills ANYTHING with a chloroplast. Trees, phytoplankton, beans, you name it. But the only thing we see infected are crops.

Where are they getting the gas for the cars, and how do they still have beer, for that matter.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Black holes are the new A Wizard Did It.

That's the whole appeal, really. Our knowledge of what goes on inside is virtually nil, and as far as we know, it's literally impossible to ever find out. And in the center, our scientiific models stop working.

While it's possible that there is actually something going on inside that can plausibly be thought of as a "singularity" with "infinite density", it basically just means that our mathematical description shits the bed, just like Newtonian physics do when you approach the speed of light.

The upshot of all this us that black holes are a great narrative device, because all we know about their interiors are that they fuck our models right in the ass.

As a physicist I can tell you that the inside of black holes are a terrible narrative device, because while we don't know much about exactly what is happening in there (solid bet, nothing is happening, since there is no time for the concept of 'happening' to exist in) we do know with certainty that no coherant information can ever escape the black hole. So you can do whatever you please in there, and it will never affect anything outside. It's why they are black holes, since coherent information can never leave. So, if anything interesting happens in a black hole it's just as 'hard science' as "And then I turned on my plasma drive and the ship zoomed off at Warp 5".

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln